Home Technical Talk

How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Replies

• Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    For Subdivision modelling, all 3 will smooth fine with proper support loops. For low poly, the bottom two are better since it avoids long thin triangles converging on a single point.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this suposed to be a lowpoly wire or a hipoly cage?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    It's also better because you save a whole(!) vertex. While it won't really matter in the long run if it's just a single vert, it'll still be seen as bad modeling and only takes a few seconds to change anyway. In modo if I just leave the cap as a n-gon, it'll triangulate properly anyway.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm way too bored right now -___-

But anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I Believe having all quads like the last HP set is ideal for UVs and just keeping all quads in general. Some LPs options at the bottom. I might bake it, cause i have nothing better to do :D

UIScv7.png
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Any of the fine options are okay, you don't need all quads on a highpoly, or to UV a highpoly model. Unless you are using something like xnormal that requires only quads and tris on your highpoly, but you can fix that with one button later.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah. I'd never, And have never, done all quads like that. just waste of density while your working on the HP model. Just messing around with that bolt sense I've never made one :D Good to know xnormal is a fan of quads though. I didn't know that.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You just get an error saying it needs to be all quads/tris, it really isn't a big deal.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I know its in this thread, But i can't find it for the life of me. Can someone go over the best way to make a perfect (flat head drive) screw head? I've got something Ok. And have had a few different methods work, But my problem is how sharp they are. i can seem to get one with wider edges once you zoom out from it. Cause you need the side count to support the shape, But once its enough loops to support the geo without adding any loops, The edges are too sharp.... If that makes sense. Thanks :)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it depends where the screw is going to the applied to.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    I know its in this thread, But i can't find it for the life of me. Can someone go over the best way to make a perfect (flat head drive) screw head? I've got something Ok. And have had a few different methods work, But my problem is how sharp they are. i can seem to get one with wider edges once you zoom out from it. Cause you need the side count to support the shape, But once its enough loops to support the geo without adding any loops, The edges are too sharp.... If that makes sense. Thanks :)

I guess it depends where the screw is going to the applied to.

13828266_1.jpg?v=8CF5EFBCDB5B850

There are 3 types of bolts here. Loosely considering the top left of that locking piece that looks like a backwards J the same as the ones alone the frame. So far the bolt i have works okish for the largest bolt there. But I'd like it even wider edged.

I'm considering just zbrushing it and include some "tooling" marks on them while I'm at it.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    That's awesome man! I tried a few things starting with a TS cube, but it always kind of an off circle. But with your idea of flattening, i could spherify the closest loops to the edge, and make it a perfect circle. I also removed one more loop from it and made the extrude a bit deeper.

Huge help Pedro! Thanks a lot for taking the time man :)

7eXxYF.gif

Edit: Ah yeah. So much better than before :D Gonna have to remake those locking pieces they are on now. Think those edges are a bit to tight and those shapes are really boring. Also have to make a few more variance of this screw for those others. Thanks again. Much appreciated.

b0IiKW.png
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) Glad I could help
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Flat head screws have always fucked with me. Thanks guys.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Hey guys. Back with yet another query :)

Working on the grip for this gun i had quite a time figuring out how i was going to model it, and i think i reached a nice solution, But i was going to ask if there was a more effective way of going about it (directed mainly at the diamond shapes)

So i started with a base grip, with just the major shape and curves of the piece. Then based on the topology of the base i modeled the insetted bits on a flat plane with the same boundary points, so i could just morph the piece to the base grip shape then weld. But i wasn't able to make a nice border around the diamonds while putting them above the grip, So i deleted some faces and put the diamonds behind the grip piece. It looks fair to me, But i wanted to see if you guys would have done it differently, or if you think I'll have issues with baking. Figured I'd throw this out here while i finish up the HP and get a yay or nay before i get into doing the LP and UV's so i can fix it before i bake, if need be.

Thanks in advance guys. If i need to stfu in here and make my own thread, let me know. :)

BUwHms.png

2l0DUX.png

TST1l2.gif
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I would just do that with nDo2 or xNormal photoshop plugin using a simple black and white pattern.
  • JohnBarnard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys...
    So, I'm currently trying to improve my hard surface sub-d modelling in Maya. I'm working on a motorcycle and I'm really stuck with the tyre treads. It is a fairly simple pattern, but I just can't cut it into the tyre without destroying the curve!
    Here's the ref:

scorcher11news.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I originally had this done with floaters, but decided I want to try and model these in:

floaters.jpg

I've also made several attempts at modelling the shape flat and then bending it:
    badgeof.jpg

But that made ugly creases everywhere too.

Does anyone know how I can tackle this issue? Thanks in advance!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Well. I tried. And failed :p I would say have more and evenly spaced geo, But yours looks pretty good flat. So if i were going to do it (in maya especialy) i would do A. Floats B. NURBS.

I'd stear a lot lot harder towards floats though, you can poly model them, and they will bake well. And be quicker/easier.
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Trev wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can tackle this issue? Thanks in advance!
    Try smoothing before you bend it.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another caveman greentooth
    looks hot, s620ex1!

okay hey hi guys, I am kinda stuck with a really basic thing here:

8WQOydX.png

What is the best way to model this knight?
    Thanks a lot! I need advices on that one.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Personally, I think zbrushing this would be cool as hell. Given the simple wood work, zbrush's tools would make this a breeze (especially for the radial symmetric stuff). I might speed sculpt a set of these tonight for fun :)

For sub D, If i were to tackle it in max, its hard to say anything but "do it". I mean, you have a decent block out. You just need to keep modeling it. Unless there is a certain spot you are having trouble with? if you can post the reference without geo in front of it maybe someone will model it out.
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've never been modeling / sculpting with Zbrush, I gotta learn it :/ All I've done with Zbrush is normal maps, you know.

I'd like to make it by myself, otherwise it would be pointless for me, but give it a try if you want of course!
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    liamdes polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, having trouble modeling shapes into cylinders without adding creases to the cylinders. Here's some screen shots. I tried adding more geo as well as manually adjusting some of the lines, which helped, but a bit of creases remain.

dDdcbja.jpgGQ2gya6.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can u post an obj for this model, so i can see the problem?
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    liamdes wrote: »
    Hey guys, having trouble modeling shapes into cylinders without adding creases to the cylinders. Here's some screen shots. I tried adding more geo as well as manually adjusting some of the lines, which helped, but a bit of creases remain.

dDdcbja.jpgGQ2gya6.jpg

All of the edges in your cylinder must be equidistant from each other. Notice how some of the edges on the cylinder part are futher from each other, and some are closer to each other.

Create the supporting geo like you have. Then select all of the edges that create the creased cylinder. Find the amount of edges that are in the cylinder, should be listed in your 3D package. Create a new cylinder with that exact number of sides. Attach new cylinder to mesh, bridge from supporting edges to new cylinder, clean up. Profit!
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Spaggiari wrote: »
    looks hot, s620ex1!

8WQOydX.png

Isn´t there a tutorial inside 3dsmax for chess pieces? Might be worth to look at.
  • sashakataana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spaggiari wrote: »
    looks hot, s620ex1!

8WQOydX.png

Ok maybe not the best way but what i could manage in 2.5 hrs. My advice would be to nail the basic shape first, pay attention to edge flow and everything else will fall into place.You can find the obj file here,, hope it helps http://www.filedropper.com/knight
    [IMG][/img]maya2010012311085158.jpg[IMG][/img]maya2010012311090514.jpgmaya2010012311185651.jpg
    [IMG][/img]maya2010012311183616.jpg
  • another caveman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah. This looks perfect! I won't download your file since I want to do it by myself, but thank you, really!

You've done this with Maya?
    I would have loved to see how you made it :/
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a stab at that shape and this is what I got.

Help_for_liamdes.jpg

Links for the files
    http://www.edgesize.com/crap/Help_for_liamdes.obj
    http://www.edgesize.com/crap/Help_for_liamdes.max

I actually recorded the modeling process for this shape fix. I'm compressing the video and will put it here when it's done uploading.

Edit > Uploaded.

Help_for_liamdes_video.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol in max? whats wrong with you bro? do you even remember how to use modo?
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for posting that vid! I never knew what "show end result" was, and seeing you use it back and forth looked pretty handy so now i got it hot keyed :D Thanks man. And good work on the vid. Turned out smooth.
  • liamdes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pedro! I'll check that out in a bit.

Edit: Thanks again Pedro! That video was really helpful. I learned quite a bit.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Trev: Suggestion for your tyres.

NOTE: I screwed up the patterning so they don't line up right, but the process is sound.

Model the tread gash straight across the tyre surface. Just do one section. Looking at some other reference for that tyre model there are 10 harley logos around the edge, making them spaced 36 degrees apart. So it should be that one logo and 2 tread gashes with space to either side fit in 1/10 of a circle. Duplicate your piece 10 times and rotate it around the hub, then weld the edges. Select the inner edges of the whole tyre, and the next few out where the curve in the gash is less. Turn on and adjust soft selection. Rotate so the inner edge loops line up with the outer ones which haven't rotated (important for next step)

HarleyTyre_Process.jpg

Mirror that half, then rotate your new half by 12 degrees or so (1/3 of 36) so the tread on one side alternates with gaps on the other. Weld the center verts and turbosmooth.

HarleyTyre_Process2.jpg
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So... a dodecahedron in modo? :P

480px-Zeroth_stellation_of_dodecahedron.png

Any ideas? So far all I got is creating a tessellated sphere with 1 subdiv
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Did not really want to make a new thread. But anybody got great tips where i could find a tutorial for Foliage? I know this one should be simple. But im still learning and i want to see how others do it before implying my own ideas.

Thanks in Advance! :D
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3spawn: oh jesus, can't you just import one from elsewhere? I'm pretty sure Wings3d (which is free) does them.

Unless this is about practice, ofcourse, in which case: No clue, actually! Let us know how you end up doing it.

edit: just checked, Wings does have a dodecahedron primitive.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MightyPea wrote: »
    R3spawn: oh jesus, can't you just import one from elsewhere? I'm pretty sure Wings3d (which is free) does them.

Unless this is about practice, ofcourse, in which case: No clue, actually! Let us know how you end up doing it.

edit: just checked, Wings does have a dodecahedron primitive.

Unfortunately it is about practice, I'm hoping to learn something new by getting out of my comfort zone and modeling difficult shapes :P
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r3spawn wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is about practice, I'm hoping to learn something new by getting out of my comfort zone and modeling difficult shapes :P

this is a primitive. no point in modeling a primitive. Its like you saying you will model a cylinder or a box from scratch...
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    hey pedro why do you model in max? ... i'm confused, you are the reason i switched from max to modo :D
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is a primitive. no point in modeling a primitive. Its like you saying you will model a cylinder or a box from scratch...

It's a primitive in Max, yes, but not in modo (as far as I know)
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay I created a dodecahedron in modo...kind of

it's not a perfect dodecahedron, but it's close enough for now.

Cube primitive -> slice
    vn8ZAKJ.jpg

Move & scale
    cAjyITC.jpg

Smooth the crap out of it
    kHOLkIb.jpg

voila!
    2knL2NS.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]fI6rGU8TkhddpVhZ9VLrIXfYEfK[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz wrote: »
    hey pedro why do you model in max? ... i'm confused, you are the reason i switched from max to modo :D

work :(
    i mainly use max at work, so essesntially i havent used modo for over a year and a half now lol

I need to get back to it and do some personal illustrations again :)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @respawn, if that dodecahedron isn't perfectly spherical, you can subdivide a sphere, then scale the dodecahedron up inside the sphere (which is on the background layer) with constrain to background turned on. Senecas script package also has a spherize script I believe, can't check at the moment due to pc trouble (ssd died). If the above isn't clear there's a video that demonstrates the techniques (I hyperlinked it but polycount embedded the video anyway..)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_OI5U9avE"]Luxology Modo - Modeling a perfect Soccerball in less than 5 minutes - YouTube[/ame]

relevant part is at ~2min. Ignore if that's not what's inaccurate about it :P
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    This has been bugging me for a good few hours now. I (think) i know the tolls to be doing this but its just not working for me, hoping there is an easy solution.

hetleSM.jpg

This is what i have tried:
    - cylinder
    - helix
    - convert helix to spline
    - sweep
    - use custom selection
    - AJSODHAOUIDH9HDAHFI9FNHSIFNIUPFIP

(in other words)

When i use my custom selection which is made from a spline the scale is crazy big and i cant change that atall.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Are you talking about the twisted part?
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes indeed i am
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    if you are using max, maybe give this a try:

Make a cylinder, add some height segments (might have to play around with this quite a bit to get the right number).

Put a twist modifier on it.

Select one of the loops, extrude it (height of 0, just some width), and then you'll have the twisted loop of poly's that you can work with.
  • bcottage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i will give that method a go...just seems like the long way around the helix route, i know there is a tick box somewhere..