Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Frosty40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frosty40 polycounter lvl 6
    alrighty,

I am working on these 2 for some bros who shall rename nameless until release. But I really want to get these sets right so please, rip me a new one.

The wings need to be feathered.To do so I need to play with QOP color alpha and see if it has transparency. I did a bad texture job to see what it looked like in game, but that was just for skinning. Now that I have a bit of time again I'm going to get these 2 finalized. Suggestions on color are most appreciated. Finally, I know I will be redoing the top 1/3 of the wings to break into the feathers, possibly rework them entirely.

QOP:
    3yTBDxq.png
    pR3V2J4.png
    6IXLTps.jpg
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ2E1Hv-4o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAZ2E1Hv-4o[/ame]

ES:
    XZjA7jd.jpg
    Wa8R90j.jpg
    6GGYJvG.jpg
  • frohst
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://i.imgur.com/Xtm6513.png

Is this a common issue? I can't find many posts out there to resolve it
    *EDIT*

My bad, Tis what happens when you accidentally target old TGA's without the correct Channels .... ._.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    What does that mean exactly? The way I read it was that the value of the key is split equally between everyone in the chest and you receive payment regardless if your item was unboxed. Am I correct?

Sounds like they dont even know what the figures are and are still balancing/figuring them out.

Great :/

Spent today bashing out some highs for some single weapons. Gonna do an AM weapon set and a PL lance tomorrow and start on my wearables list.

day1-weapons.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Doom sword, Gondar shuriken, Centaur axe, Silencer shield, Dragon Knight sword.

Did I guess them all correct :D?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq10KK84yC8"]Augury's Guardian :: Animation Preview - YouTube[/ame]

video is completed!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes. wuts a gondar? Its silencer glave, yup, yup, slark + naga otp dagger for slark
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes. wuts a gondar? Its silencer glave, yup, yup, slark + naga otp dagger for slark

Gondar is Bounty Hunter, dont be such a noob Anuxi! Kidding of course! :D

You sign a deal with Valve to have your own chest for April? "Treasures of Anuxi's Awesomeness"
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Holy shit incredible single weps Anuxi, i think i need to tune into that live stream of yours more often!

Edit: and love that ward Andrew didn't see it when i originally posted :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gondar is Bounty Hunter's name, forgive me I come from Warcraft 3 - haha.

Man, I was way off. They're all brilliant, though. I especially love the Centaur weapon.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah I have the same issue vikk0. Really bummed. I just got my first weapon ready to upload. Oh well. Time to wait.
    This is really annoying. I'm on my first, just ready to go and I can't hehe.

Anyway, people which are uploading .SMD ..are you exporting it from maya?max? I'm trying to see that MESA plugin for maya, but it sounds annoying as hell to install :(

And oh, yeah, the fbx upload is still broken, just checked.
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4

Take me to your leader :D
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7

It's Gondor. And he's good friends with Niax and Zues.:)
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    Why would you bake lod0 to lod1? Can't you at least use some modifiers such as turbosmooth/nurbs etc. so that you get an automatic high poly model? It wouldn't be great since you won't be able to sculpt much detail but it would be much better than this.

Btw painting normal maps is not a good idea, you will most probably mess it up.

Turbosmooth ends up destroying my geometry for some reason. Also, the normal maps have yet to even work for me (pre-edit, flat, or with this), so I'm more concerned with what else is wrong (such that even with max specular values, there isn't any specular).
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    vikk0 wrote: »
    This is really annoying. I'm on my first, just ready to go and I can't hehe.

Anyway, people which are uploading .SMD ..are you exporting it from maya?max? I'm trying to see that MESA plugin for maya, but it sounds annoying as hell to install :(

And oh, yeah, the fbx upload is still broken, just checked.

So, I'm guessing that no one knows when this will be fixed...? This is a shame. I wanted to finish up my set today...
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Finally added weapon to my Ancient Cultist collection that was made for polycount contest. I was feeling bad that it was lacking weapon :)
    Thanks guys for hint with new compiler issue, after importing SMD file everything went smooth, but at first I was really frustrated because of error after uploading FBX file :/
    tumblr_mj1wugoCG21s0s6i1o1_1280.jpg

Workshop page: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130417890

Uff, now definitely need to look into some more heroes!!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome stuff everyone! One day I hope to get things uploaded. Guess that leaves me polish time and more time to make stuff.

Is there a SMD exporter for Maya that doesn't require a PHD in Physics to install? For the life of me I've never seen software so utterly confusing to install. I'm lost at the part where I need an old priest and a young priest.
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey

I would like to commission someone to make a set for me on a certain hero

who are some modelers and texturers i should contact about this?

i will pay for the set and split the percentage earnings
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fierce wrote: »
    Hey

:shifty: Something doesn't seem right.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    edit, double post!
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja polycounter lvl 5
    Hey

Welcome to polycount a place full of modelers and texturers ask any one here and they may help you.
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I-ninja wrote: »
    Welcome to polycount a place full of modelers and texturers ask any one here and they may help you.

thanks

a little about me

i make some dota videos at youtube.com/professorfierce, the most popular being navi's winner's bracket journey at the international 2 [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idEUCU6SDoU"]Natus Vincere: Can You Feel It? - YouTube[/ame]

i have an idea for a hero and a little bit of feedback on the troubles i've come across in implementing it

i have a few reference pictures from comics that might give some inspiration for the models and textures

it will be a 3 or maybe 4 item set and i'm also looking to add one particle effect if thats possible but i think that may be only done on valve's side

again, i'm looking for people i can contact about this that may be interested and i'm looking for how much to pay for this and % revenue split
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Payment probably isn't necessary, just post your idea and if someone likes it they might make it for free, though without the revenue split.

Splitting the revenue seems kind of problematic anyway since you're not actually contributing anything to the creation of the items.
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul wrote: »
    It's Gondor. And he's good friends with Niax and Zues.:)
    Nope, it's Gondar.
    Gondor is a city in Middle Earth.
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10

i have an idea for a hero and a little bit of feedback on the troubles i've come across in implementing it

i have a few reference pictures from comics that might give some inspiration for the models and textures

it will be a 3 or maybe 4 item set and i'm also looking to add one particle effect if thats possible but i think that may be only done on valve's side

again, i'm looking for people i can contact about this that may be interested and i'm looking for how much to pay for this and % revenue split

Without providing anything to the process of finishing a product other than an idea, you'll find few people who'd want to make an items for you with a split. Even if you had a great idea, the majority of work would be done by someone else. If you're able to contribute to anything on the process, even concept art, you'd be more likely to find a partner.

The only times an idea is really worth a split is when the person with the idea is someone who can push a product. These are generally companies or individuals with a large presence within the community, who could rally or bundle the item to up sales.
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to say it bro but they are right but, if you stick around the site you are bound to learn how to make your own items. If you wish to get money from the workshop you'll have to learn something
  • fierce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone want to explain to me what free lance work is and how i can obtain it?

it certainly isn't "free"
  • Frosty40
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frosty40 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, Im going to redo my kotl set, on top of my other 4 =) I have quite a large work of models now (around 20- 30, check my workshop http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198014374890/myworkshopfiles/). I would really like to collaborate with someone on polishing the sets for release. I will share a % ofc. Just throwing that out there in regards to freelancers =/
  • Chaemirix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    anyone want to explain to me what free lance work is and how i can obtain it?

it certainly isn't "free"

Here

"A freelancer, freelance worker, or freelance is somebody who is self-employed and is not committed to a particular employer long term. These workers are sometimes represented by a company or an agency that resells their labor and that of others to its clients with or without project management and labor contributed by its regular employees. Others are completely independent. "Independent contractor" would be the term used in a higher register of English.

Freelance practice varies greatly. Some require clients to sign written contracts, while others may perform work based on verbal agreements, perhaps enforceable through the very nature of the work. Some freelancers may provide written estimates of work and request deposits from clients.
    Payment for freelance work also varies greatly. Freelancers may charge by the day, hour, a piece rate, or on a per-project basis. Instead of a flat rate or fee, some freelancers have adopted a value-based pricing method based on the perceived value of the results to the client. By custom, payment arrangements may be upfront, percentage upfront, or upon completion. For more complex projects, a contract may set a payment schedule based on milestones or outcomes."
  • I-ninja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    25167892.jpg
    I'm almost done with my am set but i'm not good with textures can anyone tell me if i need to add or take anything away?
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Started a Lich set! Based on Zaphk concept :) Made a few changes
    y1SKtvt.jpg
  • Zaphk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zaphk polycounter lvl 7
    Concept for Lich set (Onilolz is making this one)6YKVo8y.png?1

And a Mirana set I'm working on =)
    jzlvbWj.png?1
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Still trying to figure out all the texture/shader. This is what I have so far on my second attempt at Dota 2 art. I first envisioned it as a set for Sven but that was a little too ambitious for the time and experience I have.

Talon_zps9dd34582.jpg

That is just a software screencap, I still have to learn the shader masks a little better.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out all the texture/shader. This is what I have so far on my second attempt at Dota 2 art. I first envisioned it as a set for Sven but that was a little too ambitious for the time and experience I have.

Talon_zps9dd34582.jpg

That is just a software screencap, I still have to learn the shader masks a little better.

I'm not a fan of Sven weapons just because there are so many of them, but that looks really awesome! :thumbup:
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Reyne wrote: »

Talon_zps9dd34582.jpg

hey Reyne, what you want to know about the textures, how to create the maps or how they work
    Hey

Hey Fiece, if you are afraid to get your idea stolen you dont need to worry here, but you need to tell the idea before someone agrees to work with you. Unless you offer a good amount of money of course =]

but basically, and idea worth nothing if you dont have someone to make it real and a share on the split is nothing to someone that can get a 100% revenue with their own ideas
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Andrew, It means a lot. I love the chicken you worked on. I bought it immediately.

Tvidotto: A little of both I guess. I have used the guide on shader masks, but it never seems to work out the way that I expect when I test the item. I have been making the specular mask by desaturating the layers of the diffuse map and then altering the brightness of each layer. Fairly standard I assume.

For the other masks, I have been leaving them pure black or assigning flat tones to the UV islands if it is a mask that I am using. If it helps I could post up images of the masks to see if they look as one would expect...
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my current project! It's a big crystal sword for Crystal Maiden. It may be a sword, but it works as well as any staff!

Saquuq3.jpg

I've learned a lot about texturing the past few days so hopefully this turns out like I imagine. Hopefully the dang workshop starts working soon too.

[edit]Sounds like your problem is the alpha channels, Reyne. For example, if you don't want any self-illumination on your item, you need to take the Mask1 file and just reduce the opacity of the whole thing to 0. At least, I think that's how it works, I haven't gotten to test it fully yet with the workshop being broken.

[edit] Forgot to mention that if you turn the opacity of the whole image to 0 you need at least one visible pixel somewhere, or the importer will think the opacity is actually 100.
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    tumblr_mj2iofT8G31r43xj0o1_1280.png
    Pretty much final now
  • Plant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some pudge weapons I made with Scrake during some downtime, really pleased with the final in-game texture quality and overall look.

Workshop
    EGnAyky.jpg

awad8cT.jpg
  • rzr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rzr
    Pretty much final now

how can i add textures on model in blender?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much final now

Yess! that looks awesome, you have in game screenshots?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice windrunner HK :) I like it :D What size are you making the textures at? Or is you rviewport texture res capped at 512?

Onilolz damm that lick is coming along nicely man!

Day 2, made some more items highpolys

day2items.jpg
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    Well I messed around with the shader masks a bit more and got something...acceptable. To me anyway. Still have a lot to learn. I would love it if people would check it out and leave some feedback on it.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130521958

637x358.resizedimage
    637x358.resizedimage
  • 4evra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra polycounter lvl 4
    Deans wrote: »
    Here's my current project! It's a big crystal sword for Crystal Maiden. It may be a sword, but it works as well as any staff!

Saquuq3.jpg

I kinda makes no sense for a superior intelectual being that uses magic to wield a sword :)
    Another thing,she's a ranged hero,not melee,she uses missiles.
    Animation is gonna look weird.
    It seems way off :)
  • Deans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    4evra wrote: »
    I kinda makes no sense for a superior intelectual being that uses magic to wield a sword :)
    Another thing,she's a ranged hero,not melee,she uses missiles.
    Animation is gonna look weird.
    It seems way off :)

Oh I'm aware! The lore I was thinking of is that she found a big magic sword somewhere and just uses it as if it was a staff. It's just an attempt at visual variety.

Does it look balanced, though, presuming she holds it upside down with her hand near the guard?

That's some nice cloth there, Anuxina. Those Antimage blades seem a little standard, though.
  • Asi
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Got the high poly done (or close to done) for a shotgun for Sniper.

shotgun_sniper_001.jpg
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    (almost) Finished my hat for a sniper set :D

Hatscreenshots_zps3c75df4a.jpg
  • Hawt Koffee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hawt Koffee polycounter lvl 13
    Anuxi thank you! I keep everything at 1024 and scale down to 256 to avoid the rescaling artifacts
    Helenek Not yet I'm doing all the rigging and importing today, normally I use a blender plugin that copies bone weights from model to model and do some clean up, however it's suddenly stopped working for me so manual rig may take dreadfully longer.

Also you guys must teach me your secrets Jeff and Anuxi, I've been dying to make some high polys like that but I can never seem to get that far.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    how are you guys importing stuff to test? I'm still getting the 'import failed' error, even on items that have previously worked :\
  • Madzia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madzia polycounter lvl 8
    Here's concept set for Lich. I wanted to make him look more powerful. Point more on fact that he was drowned and was Ice Mage so water freeze on him creating icicles and stuff :p
    Konras will make 3d model of it someday :D

tumblr_mj3q8oXyd01rw215do1_1280.png