Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ArenaNet Environment Art Test

I participated in the 2012 ArenaNet Environment Art Test. I know it was canceled, but I still wanted to post it. You can see the renders and breakdown on my website at: www.shawn-odonnell.com/arenanet.html

Feel free to critique, comment, etc!
MainRender.jpg

Replies

• silence44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silence44 polycounter lvl 7
    This looks really nice! Good design, neat textures and really cool render! I am sorry the contest got cancelled... One thing I would suggest is taking off the fisheye camera in your final renders because it makes the silhouette looks a bit weird..
  • shawnmodonnell
    Thanks for the feedback. The camera that I used was the default UDK camera for the screenshot.
  • shawnmodonnell
    I thought that I would add a screen shot of the low poly model with normal maps applied and one low poly model with wireframe applied for the Arenanet environment art test.
    You can see more images on this project at my website portfolio at: www.shawn-odonnell.com
    ClayRenderGroup.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking really good, but I think the lighting in your presentation is letting it down a little. Try re-addressing it to highlight some point of focus, like maybe the door? It's up to you where we should be focusing, but right now it kind of looks like we are meant to be looking at a blank wall first while there are plenty of other interesting things that we could be focusing on instead.

It may be because of the harsh shadow falling form the overhang over the door, but that whole area is becoming pretty hard to distinguish in your presentation compared to your high poly.

I like this piece a lot! Keep going!
  • shawnmodonnell
    Shanthosa,
    Thanks for your input, I appreciate it... I plan to build a simple environment around the model to show it off a little bit more, so I will keep your advise in mind on the lighting when I go to re-render it.
  • shawnmodonnell
    Here are the textures that I hand painted used for the ArenaNet Art Test.

TexturesMerged.jpg