Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Andyk125 wrote: »
    Started baking the high poly and textures, here's a preview so far of the lod_0 model, let me know what you guys think!

looking really nice andy

just take some care when you define the edges, you made and straight and even white line, try to avoid that

also you can define better gradients to enhance those edges

---

hey guys, the last two weeks i was sketching some couriers idea, here is a russian courier =]
    a friend came from russia and gave me an ushanka =]]

sorry if i exagerated on the stereotype

1K5BZ
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    looking really nice andy

just take some care when you define the edges, you made and straight and even white line, try to avoid that

---

hey guys, the last two weeks i was sketching some couriers idea, here is a russian courier =]

1K5BZ
    I can't tell if that's a bear or a giant, tailess, chipmunk.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    I can't tell if that's a bear or a giant, tailess, chipmunk.

hehehe, the idea is that its is small but you got a good point on that =]

need to create some kind of reference for the size
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehehe, the idea is that its is small but you got a good point on that =]

need to create some kind of reference for the size

I didn't take the bottle into consideration for some reason.
    If it is a chipmunk, then it'll have to be giant anyway or else it won't be visible :P
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't take the bottle into consideration for some reason.
    If it is a chipmunk, then it'll have to be giant anyway or else it won't be visible :P

im still figuring out how it will fly =]

---

brainstorming with some friends

1K86m
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im still figuring out how it will fly =]

---

brainstorming with some friends

1K86m

Well the flying squirrel is a cartoon classic.
    The winged helm made me think of Hermes sandals though
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the flying squirrel is a cartoon classic.
    The winged helm made me think of Hermes sandals though

awesome, i was afraid of the old thor reference beeing too evident =]

just to name the guys, the brainstorm was with Nannou and Kevin, and the first one was with Helenek
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome, i was afraid of the old thor reference beeing too evident =]

just to name the guys, the brainstorm was with Nannou and Kevin, and the first one was with Helenek

No, I got that reference :P I was just giving some ideas.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    TeeStock wrote: »
    Thanks for the support on the concept guys. @Lennyagony Really good point about no Legendary sets, it might be a good idea for us to ramp up the legendary'ness of this.

Already looking legendary as is mate!
  • AndrewHelenek
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    looking really nice andy

---

Thanks for the advice Tvidotto!

Allready made some changes to the texture, some more gradients and I removed the white line completely.. Also made the gold more noticable. Here's a ingame shot from all the weapons so far :)

If theire is anything off or weird I would love to hear it!

@Tvidotto: That squirrel courier looks great, not sure about the helmet though. I think you maybe should think of some more concepts. If I have to pick one go with the one without the nose piece.

erOkq.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

now i like the animations!

great work

btw, if you use the right link you can embbed on the forum

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_md3Sp9LKaU"]Chicken Courier Animations - Redone/Polished Flying Animations - YouTube[/ame]

like this
  • TriggerHappyPuppy
    started over on the outworld set,, trying no make him more noble

destroyer_watcher_zps4b32d75a.png
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys. This is my alchemist sword

This is also the first 3d object I want to actually complete lol

I don't really understand how to get good uv maps this is what I have so far

Edit: after all the fail topology and bluh this is my second try at it lol this is my high poly

alchemist-sword-high-poly_zpsc68d2fb6.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Toodles, Start with your model cut in half symmetrically. When you re-add the symmetry, most of your work is done already, though you may need to add some geometry to handle this, at least temporarily. You can do a planar map for the blade, unwrapping the sides as needed. No need for a full unwrap of both halves, you can save texture space this way.
  • eXecutex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXecutex polycounter lvl 9
    I'm trying to make a bow for Bone Fletcher
    Give it a name :)

bone_bow_wip_3_by_executex-d5qmnql.png

Full image res here: http://executex.deviantart.com/art/Bone-Bow-WIP-3-347058093
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on the armor for my BH 'Immortal Warrior' set. What do you guys thing of the name? I couldn't really think of something better :p

Did a test bake to see if the sides would look nice with just 1 face. I think the result looks pretty good for it's tricount. 56 tri's at the moment. If I keep it as this and don't spend to much on the shoulder pads I will have enough tri's left for something else.

I thought of making a arm (wrist) piece with two throwing knifes, here's a concept and the test bake. What do you guys think?

J3OGp.jpg
  • Zhaie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Realy nice work. I like it too.
    Especially when the Chiken is Flying =)
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update on the armor pieces for the set,
    Still needs some work..

4yRtX.jpg
  • Mr. Toodles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    A few minor things left to fix! Then I'll be making some presentation images and submitting :D

iHMXYSNf6DTC1.jpg
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    now i like the animations!

great work

btw, if you use the right link you can embbed on the forum

Chicken Courier Animations - Redone/Polished Flying Animations - YouTube

like this

I dont know how to use the internets :(
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    artquest wrote: »
    A few minor things left to fix! Then I'll be making some presentation images and submitting :D

iHMXYSNf6DTC1.jpg

This is one of best, if not the best crystal maiden set, really captures her well. +1

But I think one thing need some tweaking, her cape seems to only be one color in the image you posted, I think it could look much better if you made it a little darker toward the bottom to break up the single panel of color.
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update again :) finished both lod versions, just need to fix one small thing and work some more on the texture. Next update will be ingame..

WMXrZ.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woohoo! Nice to see that people are working on some awesome stuff!
    I think i need some help :D I'm doing the retopo on my powerglove and i thought i should do both lod 1 and lod 0 this time instead of just lod 1. And then it struck me, do i make the lod 1 first, UV map and then add more geometry for the lod 0? Or the opposite and delete geometry and preserving borders?
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    I think i need some help :D I'm doing the retopo on my powerglove and i thought i should do both lod 1 and lod 0 this time instead of just lod 1. And then it struck me, do i make the lod 1 first, UV map and then add more geometry for the lod 0? Or the opposite and delete geometry and preserving borders?

Well to be honost that's completely up to you, but the easiest way is to start with the lod_0 version and then delete geometry and preserve borders.

When a model got a lot of round shapes I sometimes choose a version between the two and then remove and add faces to make the lod_0 and lod_1 version :)
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is one of best, if not the best crystal maiden set, really captures her well. +1

But I think one thing need some tweaking, her cape seems to only be one color in the image you posted, I think it could look much better if you made it a little darker toward the bottom to break up the single panel of color.

Thanks, I'll for sure mess around a bit with the cape. :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

hey sir paskie

my workflow for that is

-do the lod0
    -open uvs
    -texture it or at least do some bakes to see if its working
    -rig, animation and other stuff that you dont need to concern
    -duplicate de model, rename to lod1 and here the fun starts =]
    -one window with the uv open and one with the model
    -start selection some edges that could be deleted and before deleting i need to check the uv if it will not explode it, sometimes you cant delete some edges, you need to be aware of that
    -after reaching the desired policount, enable the 2 meshes and check if its working

remember that the lod0 will be seen by the front of the character, a low camera angle. the lod1 will be seen by a higher and far camera angle, always test on those camera placements
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey sir paskie

my workflow for that is

-do the lod0
    -open uvs
    -start selection some edges that could be deleted and before deleting i need to check the uv if it will not explode it, sometimes you cant delete some edges, you need to be aware of that
    -after reaching the desired policount, enable the 2 meshes and check if its working

remember that the lod0 will be seen by the front of the character, a low camera angle. the lod1 will be seen by a higher and far camera angle, always test on those camera placements

Do you rig twice, once for each LOD? or do you just delete edges to get LOD1 and leave it in the history?

Also I'm not sure what works for rigging in dota, I'm losing some volume at the elbows and would like to fix it(at least to some extent). Do I just paint the weights as best as I can or is there something else that can be done?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you rig twice, once for each LOD? or do you just delete edges to get LOD1 and leave it in the history?

Also I'm not sure what works for rigging in dota, I'm losing some volume at the elbows and would like to fix it. Do I just paint the weights as best as possible or is there something else that can be done?

i rig twice and copy the weight for the lod0 to the lod1

i keep my history always clean, just left the bindposes and skin

and i paint the weight, i start from the end parts like fingers, the lock, goes to hand, paint and lock, and keep blocking till im happy with the result

after this i unlock every weight and start tweeking some details

always checking with the animations that im going to use, that why i left the final skin weight to be done after the animations or at the same time

my model is referenced so i keep 2 mayas open, one with the model and one with the animation, if i find some problem on the skin or rig, i switch the maya, fix and save

them is just a matter of reloading the reference

i keep tweeaking till the end of the process

(my workflow probably is not good for a team =] )
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, I'll for sure mess around a bit with the cape. :)

Yeah you are missing a gradient map on your texture. Make sure to put one in as that was a big seller for valve when they picked their top 11.

It also looks like you dont have any AO, or very little on the clothing parts. A lot of the blue parts look like they haven't got any definition at all. Just a bit of shadow from the gold could help, or a gradient like I mentioned above can just make it pop a little more.

You also could do some light patterning on her cape, in that lighter blue like the original if you still feel it to be a bit flat.
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you are missing a gradient map on your texture. Make sure to put one in as that was a big seller for valve when they picked their top 11.

It also looks like you dont have any AO, or very little on the clothing parts. A lot of the blue parts look like they haven't got any definition at all. Just a bit of shadow from the gold could help, or a gradient like I mentioned above can just make it pop a little more.

You also could do some light patterning on her cape, in that lighter blue like the original if you still feel it to be a bit flat.

Too many good ideas :P Ok fine looks like I've got some more stuff to do beyond what I had planned on. I baked my AO in X normal but it seems to not be quite strong enough? I wonder if playing around with some settings would fix it. I couldn't get the AO bake to work in maya's transfer maps section. Out of curiosity what did you use to bake your AO Anuximoon?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Too many good ideas :P Ok fine looks like I've got some more stuff to do beyond what I had planned on. I baked my AO in X normal but it seems to not be quite strong enough? I wonder if playing around with some settings would fix it. I couldn't get the AO bake to work in maya's transfer maps section. Out of curiosity what did you use to bake your AO Anuximoon?

i think she is talking about the gradient texture that makes the top part brighter

here a tutorial about that
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101248

the easies way is on the comments, using the zbrush and zaplink
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think she is talking about the gradient texture that makes the top part brighter

here a tutorial about that
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101248

the easies way is on the comments, using the zbrush and zaplink

She also mentioned the general ao, which is what I was asking about, but I'm glad you posted that link :D I was going to paint the gradient by hand. I'll for sure give this a try! Thanks.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She also mentioned the general ao, which is what I was asking about, but I'm glad you posted that link :D I was going to paint the gradient by hand. I'll for sure give this a try! Thanks.

sorry! that why i should not drink beer =]
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, artquest

I was having that same issue with the AO, it just didn't seem to have enough of an impact so I did some research and I found this awesome cavity map tutorial.

Hopefully this helps :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

I render my AO in xnrom

As well as a bent map (world space nm) to grab the green channel.

I also render a point light map like the art guide suggests. I do that in Max.

then plus the gradient map 85% texture work complete. Then I just paint extra details in to pop saturation and increase lighting info on specific areas where I was the eye to go.

Canny wait to see it done :D
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been working on a concept for Beastmaster that is based on him traveling to a far away land over vast seas. Upon landing on a new continent, he runs into tribal peoples that value animals to the extent he does and as he wanders the lands, trades his own armor for a piece of each tribe he runs into.
    concept.jpg
    Working on the animals at the moment.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey sir paskie

my workflow for that is

-do the lod0
    -open uvs

Thx for that! I'll give it a go. I actually did that on my first item, but somewhere along the way i must have gotten lazy and skipped that part and just did the lod 1. Feeling no stress with this item so i'll give this one more time. Will post pics and when i have done some bakes.

Everyone is posting really good guides! Have saved all of them, my way of doing gradients was primitive ^^ Going to try some of those. I just did my gradients manually in photoshop :poly136:
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone is posting really good guides! Have saved all of them, my way of doing gradients was primitive ^^ Going to try some of those. I just did my gradients manually in photoshop :poly136:

Why is photoshop primitive, it's sometimes a lot easier, certainly for simple models :)

Started working on the head slot, did a test bake with the high poly, but I still need to work on the high poly though, because it's pretty sloppy right now (only used my mouse) What do you guys think?

rME6N.jpg
  • Crack Panda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoops sorry, just posted in the wrong thread, so moving my post!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG bisho Bola

you broke the records over workshop, your obsidian set is already on the files!!!

was that quicker then Helenek?

Anuxi is on too =]
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on your items being accepted Anuxi and Bisho!
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet, all the contest sets are up!

Drew up a bald eagle and Hyena summon for this guy. Not sure if that's even possible but it was fun to paint.
    concept_V2.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic wrote: »
    Sweet, all the contest sets are up!

Drew up a bald eagle and Hyena summon for this guy. Not sure if that's even possible but it was fun to paint.
    concept_V2.jpg

hey man

nice set! and your drawing skills are amazing =]

quick suggestions

the weapon could be a little bigger on the blade, it should be visible in game like the default one

the hyena doenst belongs to the same place/culture, but who cares =], there is a flying treasure chest into the game =]

i made my own animations and rig for the bird and the beast, if you want you can use my rigs, feel free to ask. i dont want anything in return, dont worry =]

i got a feedback from valve today about the boar, saying that they want to add my set to the game, if that comes true we will have in game 2 rigs and 2 different animation sets for both beastmaster summons

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_Ti7HEu-Rk&list=UUG7nr_tItVPf0D2xHGV8EOw"]Beastmaster Fierce Warrior set - Dota 2 - in game - YouTube[/ame]

btw, try to avoid the black outline, makes you set looks more cartoony then it will be in game =]
  • darkartsofneko
    crystal_maiden_concept_by_darkartsofneko-d5r0h3e.png

Working on an item set for Crystal Maiden, I've been throwing a few different ideas around but this is my favorite so far. I showed it to a friend of mine (Dota enthusiast) and he said the outfit needed more pizzaz, so I was wondering if I should scrap the whole idea and go for something more diverse.
    I wanted to create an Arctic Fox set (still not sure on the cape and weapon items) so the set would, of course, be primarily fur. Thoughts?
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    Looking to team up with someone to make a set for Razor.

uniformoftheoverseer_by_terrormokes-d5hmj39.png
  • Zhaie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I realy like the version of the beatmaster.
    Maybe you could do something different with the hair / Beard ?
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1751761&postcount=3098

Did someone see my last reply ? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1748010&postcount=3054 . When i posted it, my account was in validation period. So when it been accepted i think nobody saw it. Or maybe nobody have answer for this question :)
  • civicsrkilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where can I start to learn from start to finish to do these models and items? Can anyone direct me to a site where they got tutorials?
  • Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zhaie: I don't know if I understand yoour questions.. First it doesn't matter if you use maya 2012 or 2013. For the rest I have no clue what you mean :s

Well I tried to import my armor and head model but it looked completely like crap, what I was affraid for because of the animations. The shoulder pads are disformed, but I might be able to fix this with changing the skinning. The head piece will need some changes, because with some animations the model is being streched extremely :S

Aslo I wasn't sure if the shoulder pads would fit in the complete picture so I made a new concept, still needs some texture work, but before I do that I would love to hear which one you guys prefer! Thanks in advance.

KrI8h.jpg