What Are You Working On? 2012 Edition

Replies

• woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BANGARANG! wrote: »
    this

what is this?

you have an interesting arm, a design of a truck cabin & grill, the stabilizers holding up the truck and you ruin the entire thing with that step ladder. the scale that step ladder presents completely conflicts the rest of the truck. either work with the rest of your truck details to make sure the scale of this vehicle is present, or remove it entirely.

and if its cool to be completely subjective, the front end of the truck and its wheel base is entirely uninspired.

what you are saying here makes no sense...there is nothing in this design that contradicts the scale of the ladder, the only other semi scale element is the guard rails on the bed of the truck which are consistent with the scale of the ladder...the vehicle is meant to be massive, just because its form is similar to a standard mack truck sized vehicle dosn't mean it has to be.

I think what he has is quite cool its more like a land ship than a truck with enough space in the cab for multiple people to be present overseeing the work being done...its basically a mobile oil platform type thing, very cool.
  • Dalarcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dalarcon polycounter lvl 12
    sculpted some floor and brought in the rocks needs some dirt and grassy greens.
    nv46tz.jpg
  • tagobarantino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work Dalarcon! I very like the highlight on are rocks maite!
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Here is a car I've been working on for the last month.

mclaren_001_zps4cc52a8d.jpg

mclaren_002_zpsf660431b.jpg

mclaren_003_zpscac74ca3.jpg

mclaren_004_zpsd6c259e1.jpg

mclaren_005_zps53c64733.jpg

mclaren_006_zpsc3bbc8ff.jpg

mclaren_007_zps054771e6.jpg

mclaren_008_zpsda6ad39d.jpg
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    Zelenkov, looking good man! :D got any wires shots and what the tri count?
  • maxloegler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxloegler polycounter lvl 6
    95% of the blocking finished. some tweaks here and there and then finally begin to make it hiiighhh.

sz_13_aGif.gif
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Maxloegler, man that's a sweet blockout!
  • Intervain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    very good progress maxloegler - looks much better now :)
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    i didnt look to see if its in the concept (and really that doesnt matter even if it is) but please address your "space panels". random paneling with angled edges and absolutely no sense of functionality.

at the space factory did someone print out that floor panel, cut it in that shape, and place it on the floor to line up with the other space panels? then the interior space decorator came by and made sure the color themes were complimentary? grey, yello, grey, yellow. but never yellow touching yellow. or grey touching grey. and dont even consider using other colors.

space panels are the epitome of lazy design.

i know you said you are following a concept but please consider how this area was actually built. while it is your job as an artist to create visually pleasing works of game art, its also your responsibility to keep the player immersed in that world. lazy space panels look ok, but they're just there, like abstract works of space art.

its happening in some places already in this piece but i beg of you to do this for the entire thing. push the concept. the concept is just ideas. its not a blueprint for you to follow to the T.
    consider how they're placed.
    how they're fastened.
    why are they there?
    "this is here because it looks cool." sure, maybe. whatever?
    "you can really see how this place was put together and it looks fucking awesome. i can picture how a technician might come in to repair a conduit behind that wall to the right of the chamber." ok now we're talking.

you have an interesting start to what can really be a shining piece. but really, fuck space panels.

Thats a mouthfull, and not all entirely correct - there doesn't ALWAYS have to be meaning behind technical designs - if there was then i bet you we wouldnt have Star Trek!
    Come off your high horse and post some more art instead of coming off all angry!
  • DavePhipps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps polycounter lvl 7
    Thats a mouthfull, and not all entirely correct - there doesn't ALWAYS have to be meaning behind technical designs - if there was then i bet you we wouldnt have Star Trek!
    Come off your high horse and post some more art instead of coming off all angry!
    +1 to what he said.

Also I believe your critique of Elijah's truck was way off. The scale of the ladder fit perfectly and was functional. Considering the back of the vehicle is a platform how else would the crew get up there.

Then there is the statement that the wheelbase is uninspired. If you use the definition of wheelbase it the length between the center point of the front and back wheels. It's a measure of length. Not sure how that's uninspired?
    If you are talking about the design such as multiple rows of wheels it seems tome that you are still off. Looking at the size of the vehicle the weight would be evenly distributed and supported with his design. Not only is it functional/believable, but it also looks good.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    that looks rad maxloegler, is this for the cghub competition?
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
  • brwnbread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brwnbread polycounter lvl 13
    i didnt look to see if its in the concept (and really that doesnt matter even if it is) but please address your "space panels". random paneling with angled edges and absolutely no sense of functionality.

at the space factory did someone print out that floor panel, cut it in that shape, and place it on the floor to line up with the other space panels? then the interior space decorator came by and made sure the color themes were complimentary? grey, yello, grey, yellow. but never yellow touching yellow. or grey touching grey. and dont even consider using other colors.

space panels are the epitome of lazy design.

i know you said you are following a concept but please consider how this area was actually built. while it is your job as an artist to create visually pleasing works of game art, its also your responsibility to keep the player immersed in that world. lazy space panels look ok, but they're just there, like abstract works of space art.

its happening in some places already in this piece but i beg of you to do this for the entire thing. push the concept. the concept is just ideas. its not a blueprint for you to follow to the T.
    consider how they're placed.
    how they're fastened.
    why are they there?
    "this is here because it looks cool." sure, maybe. whatever?
    "you can really see how this place was put together and it looks fucking awesome. i can picture how a technician might come in to repair a conduit behind that wall to the right of the chamber." ok now we're talking.

you have an interesting start to what can really be a shining piece. but really, fuck space panels.

lol: hardwood-floor-by-nomad-inception.jpg
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf wrote: »
    Another one

Hawken_mech_M01_HP_lonewolf_front.jpg

Damn good as always, son!
    Fuck yeah!! :D:D
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    thanx man XD
    btw, really like your stuff!
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote: »
    what you are saying here makes no sense...there is nothing in this design that contradicts the scale of the ladder, the only other semi scale element is the guard rails on the bed of the truck which are consistent with the scale of the ladder...the vehicle is meant to be massive, just because its form is similar to a standard mack truck sized vehicle dosn't mean it has to be.

I think what he has is quite cool its more like a land ship than a truck with enough space in the cab for multiple people to be present overseeing the work being done...its basically a mobile oil platform type thing, very cool.

put your thumb over the ladder and tell me you're convinced of its scale.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Another one

Hawken_mech_M01_HP_lonewolf_front.jpg[IMG][/img]

Dude.....

Dude.

:thumbup:
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another one

Hawken_mech_M01_HP_lonewolf_front.jpg

how much of this is modeled from concept?

i have critiques for it, but the modeling is solid and really my criticism is on its design.
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

no high horse here, or anger. just a callout for pushing creative design well past silly space panels. that concept in particular wasn't even that bad for it.
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Lonewolf your hard surface modeling so fucking badass, great work.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :thumbup: its to scale.

next time you need to crit someones piece do a paint-over. to help illustrate your points.

beautiful work lonewolf!
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavePhipps wrote: »
    +1 to what he said.

Also I believe your critique of Elijah's truck was way off. The scale of the ladder fit perfectly and was functional. Considering the back of the vehicle is a platform how else would the crew get up there.

Then there is the statement that the wheelbase is uninspired. If you use the definition of wheelbase it the length between the center point of the front and back wheels. It's a measure of length. Not sure how that's uninspired?
    If you are talking about the design such as multiple rows of wheels it seems tome that you are still off. Looking at the size of the vehicle the weight would be evenly distributed and supported with his design. Not only is it functional/believable, but it also looks good.

my critique wasn't on the ladder itself. as i told someone else, place your thumb over the ladder and tell me you're convinced of teh sale of the truck. once you do that, the truck looks no taller than what we'd typically see in the real world and that was the basis of my feedback.

my 'uninspired' comment was "we've seen this before".

he clearly possess artistic ability and what he's done is put a nifty looking arm on the back of a truck that doesn't seem all that different from something we'd see on the road, but because its suppost to be this massive scale that philosophy of its design feels 'off'. but instead we're suppose to be convinced that he's flexed his creative muslce simply because of a scale object (the ladder), when really, to me, it hurts the design rather than helps it. i think the scale needs to be pushed further, in all aspects of the truck, and not just the ladder.

this is the opinion of one person (me), on an open forum. take it for what it is worth to you. if you find what im saying is helpful, cool. hurtful? not my intention. its just honest criticsm from someone whos trying to look through obvious artistic ability and challenge their creative ability.

Lincoln-pennies-2.jpg
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elijah's updated the image to include schematics and human scale. neat.

they would have a hell of a time driving that, with the cockpit being so far in to the hood of the truck. the t-282 and other trucks like it have their cockpit/cabins at the front so they can get a full view when driving. perhaps if you're going to keep the cockpit/cabin that far back, introduce some viewing instruments (or treat it like the captains deck of a cruise ship). i think the front of the truck is now problematic to its scale and some easily updates could help bring it to the size it looks to be when compared to the people, the schematics, and so on.

again, all just my opinion. some new community member to polycount so take it as you see it. it was never the intention to insult, but this place is seemingly all about "honest feedback". "no hand holding". there you have it.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they would have a hell of a time driving that, with the cockpit being so far in to the hood of the truck. the t-282 and other trucks like it have their cockpit/cabins at the front so they can get a full view when driving. perhaps if you're going to keep the cockpit/cabin that far back, introduce some viewing instruments (or treat it like the captains deck of a cruise ship). i think the front of the truck is now problematic to its scale and some easily updates could help bring it to the size it looks to be when compared to the people, the schematics, and so on.

much better crit you could also say something like the ladder seems out of place now maybe introduce a few more scale elements like tools mounted on the outside of the vehicle or compartments like on the outside of fire trucks ect. examples never hurt.

the forum is typically pretty blunt, as you have seen by our crits of your posts. this isnt hand holding, it is being professional.
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elijah's updated the image to include schematics and human scale. neat.

again, all just my opinion. some new community member to polycount so take it as you see it. it was never the intention to insult, but this place is seemingly all about "honest feedback". "no hand holding". there you have it.

Ugh, seriously? I had those turnarounds already but I had posted the image earlier in the day to show people what I was working on. Of course I'm going to update the image as I progress. The main control room pushes into the hood because of the type of engine being used to power this thing. I'm sorry I didn't draw every single piece of this machine, the lower deck of the "cockpit" is for the chief engineer to supervise the engineering dept's maintenance and operation.

As for the shape of the front-end; The client wanted a giant truck, okay? I know it's hard to handle the idea because even I, an ex-MILITARY ENGINEER, have problems when it comes to the "art" side of this. There are times when you make choices specifically for the look because you want to stir a certain feeling in someone. Unfortunately you have aren't grasping this, so we can't help you. You're critiques may be honest, and could hold some water if we were to build these things - but we're not actually going to. NASA is working on a Warpdrive right now. This means a bunch of the shit in sci-fi movies now will be bypassed...guess what though, it looks cool and people like it. Deal with it.
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 - i really meant 'neat' when i said it. i was glad you updated it. when i wrote my feedback it was just the truck, nothing else. as a fan of art and concepts and all that cool stuff i was glad to see it posted. so 'neat' was not sarcasm.

2 - today i learned that giving feedback that tries to challenge someones creative bone may result in being called a dumbass (edit: that comment has since been removed, thanks for doing that elijah). so there is that.

3 - your background is irrelevant and my criticisms still hold to me personally. don't be upset by them. by all means ignore them if you dont think the piece will be better for it, but this isn't a personal attack on you. just a challenge for the piece itself.

i am all too familiar with inducing a feeling in someone through art. thats the point of it all, right? unfortunately, for me, that piece was confusion. i took the one thing i could see that challenged the scale of the object and removed it and all of a sudden the scale was conflicting with itself so i brought it up.

your story about NASA, is nice. thanks for sharing it. the idea for the truck is cool. a big ass truck with a big ass arm on it. whats not to like? i just think you had some conflicting design choices for its scale coupled with some uninspiring design elements to the main body that i wanted to bring up. dont let it bother you to the point of name calling.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    wrote:

MRX_02.jpg

This is awesome bro.

@BANGARANG! - dyyyy.jpg
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    community circlejerks aren't my thing. great art is. lets move on?
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bangarang - This is a friendly, helpful place. It's only hostile if you are first. Your crits are good, just try framing them a little more tactfully. Most folks here are professionals and conduct themselves accordingly.

Happy posting! And welcome, you seem like a smart guy.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    I think the points you were trying to make were valid, @BANGARANG! and I look forward to more constructive critiques.
    It's just that you put them forward a bit indelicately.

Admittedly, I'm really struggling to read your posts in a non-aggressive manner.

Edit: ↑↑ What @WarrenMarshall said :P ↑↑
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 to professionals here. coming on a decade. i dont think i was being unfriendly, just honest. im not about to toss in smilies or flat praise for a piece that is obviously created by someone who has an artistic ability. theres too much of that already from other members. im simply interested in cutting to the point of my opinion, for whatever the point of view is worth. one of my replies (to the person who is recreating the cryo chamber) had some sarcasm in it. i'll leave that out in the future.
  • zeezee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeezee polycounter lvl 8
    360 of this guy, rendered in marmoset
    AnyIg.jpg
  • zeezee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zeezee polycounter lvl 8
    ysalex wrote: »
    8uUuz.jpg
    Hey myrtg3, glad to see you here.:poly121:
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    community circlejerks aren't my thing. great art is. lets move on?

There is are ways to word and shape critiques in a way that don't make you sound like a pertinacious ass. For example the whole space panel factory rant you went on is not needed, nor was it to point out that is his job as an artist to think about those things. You could easily get the same point across by saying I do not like the floor paneling at all, the shapes do not make sense, and could be better designed for believability.
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this thread (what are you working on?) the right place to give feedback or should that be kept to individual threads? it seems like this is just a casual art dump.
  • ComfyCushion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My rule of thumb is if they don't have an individual thread link in their post, you can critique in this thread.

And, while I agree that we shouldn't just all be lining up to pat each other on the back, I have to disagree with you about that truck. I don't see any scale inconsistencies with the ladder, and I think the front end has a nice throwback style to it.
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    There is are ways to word and shape critiques in a way that don't make you sound like a pertinacious ass. For example the whole space panel factory rant you went on is not needed, nor was it to point out that is his job as an artist to think about those things. You could easily get the same point across by saying I do not like the floor paneling at all, the shapes do not make sense, and could be better designed for believability.

agreed, sarcasm wasn't need. everything else i said i still feel the same about. i think i've said all i need to now about those pieces of feedback i wrote.
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 - i really meant 'neat' when i said it. i was glad you updated it. when i wrote my feedback it was just the truck, nothing else. as a fan of art and concepts and all that cool stuff i was glad to see it posted. so 'neat' was not sarcasm.

2 - today i learned that giving feedback that tries to challenge someones creative bone may result in being called a dumbass (edit: that comment has since been removed, thanks for doing that elijah). so there is that.

3 - your background is irrelevant and my criticisms still hold to me personally. don't be upset by them. by all means ignore them if you dont think the piece will be better for it, but this isn't a personal attack on you. just a challenge for the piece itself.

i am all too familiar with inducing a feeling in someone through art. thats the point of it all, right? unfortunately, for me, that piece was confusion. i took the one thing i could see that challenged the scale of the object and removed it and all of a sudden the scale was conflicting with itself so i brought it up.

your story about NASA, is nice. thanks for sharing it. the idea for the truck is cool. a big ass truck with a big ass arm on it. whats not to like? i just think you had some conflicting design choices for its scale coupled with some uninspiring design elements to the main body that i wanted to bring up. dont let it bother you to the point of name calling.

Yes, name-calling is inappropriate which is why I cut it out after it went up for about 15 seconds. I apologize for that, it wasn't professional. However; I said that your points could hold water in certain cases, but for some reason it seems like you're trolling rather than critiquing. You're going around in other threads saying they're stupid, asking where you can critique the crunch cast, etc.

You raised this big stink and turned a peaceful thread into a battleground. I don't want a circle-jerk, I actually seek critiques from professionals in hopes of improving my work. This is not the most appropriate place for that though, especially when you start getting subjective and stirring your taste into the mix.

If you wouldn't mind showing your work, your experience, your studies,etc ; Many people, including myself, would likely be more receptive to your critiques even in this thread. But you're still missing what got the whole thing going. YOU said that the ladder threw off the scale when it didn't. The catwalks and hand-rails were always there, before the turn-arounds were posted.

If you don't like it, fine. If you have some advice, PM me and ask if I mind reading what you have to say. Hell, just tell me. Why do it here though? The show-room floor? This is a community; which means you're a potential custodian... not the master.

Bad design: Does not function, is not clear, is not believed.
    A design someone doesn't like: Could be anything.

There is a great book called [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Principles-Design-Revised-Updated/dp/1592535879"]Universal Principles of Design, Revised and Updated: 125 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach through Design: William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler: 9781592535873: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

You have likely read this already. I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't. Consider the story about the chair in this book. One that was almost universally praised by designers as being a great chair. It functioned, it looked great, it was lightweight and even cheap...but the public hated it.

Taste. The public may not have understood the fundamentals of design, but they knew what they didn't like. So the chair was an effective failure in a commercial sense. I'm sorry you didn't like the design. Can't please everyone all the time.

I honestly hope you have a great day and cheer up. I have work to do.
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    Bangarang, portfolio ?
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great book. highly recommended.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Relax everybody!

The truck, in my opinion works as a design, sure there may be subjective flaws based on aesthetic preference etc but it does work overall.

Have a mech.

mech.jpg
  • iStanislav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't you remember the game "Jurassic war". Something gave me the idea to create the low poly model of tyrannosaurus.

f18ad26efe83.jpg
  • tagobarantino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov wrote: »
    Here is a car I've been working on for the last month.

mclaren_001_zps4cc52a8d.jpg

mclaren_002_zpsf660431b.jpg

mclaren_003_zpscac74ca3.jpg

mclaren_004_zpsd6c259e1.jpg

mclaren_005_zps53c64733.jpg

mclaren_006_zpsc3bbc8ff.jpg

mclaren_007_zps054771e6.jpg

mclaren_008_zpsda6ad39d.jpg

DUDER! Thats is verry cool! I have studied rendering and trying to build car too?! Very inspiring mates!
  • ljabli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljabli polycounter lvl 4
    Hi everyone !

Here is a pic of the Demon Chick Wip directly from yesterday's live session we did .
    6b464d05-5d98-4ec4-b8d9-8d0dc560131b.jpg

for those couldn't attend you still can watch it here : CGProTechnology Team live session

Cheers,
    CGPT Team
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I'm sure everyone is over it by now, but I hope we can all see why so many people are potentially afraid to post their work here in this community. Rants are uncalled for and hurt feelings. Constructive criticism makes people want to improve.

And dangit Fightpunch, how do you do it? I started following you on deviantart so I can stalk you mercilessly now. What brushes are you using?
  • BelgianBoolean
    I'm hoping to find a job in games; but in the meantime, I'm working as the only 3d concept design at Adidas. I never really get to show my work, but here's an outdoor running tooling I helped design which we 3d printed.

toolingdesign.jpg
  • ErikNilsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErikNilsson polycounter
    Another wuick creature from me!

creatureoftheday05.png
  • vickgaza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    Finished this not long ago woop woop so happy about it :D

1sHxk.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    woogity wrote: »
    SirCalalot: i think you need a new font, the amount of negative space in that font bubble is a bit too even with the amount of space taken up by the letters, as a result it makes it hard to read and causes your eye to do a weird popping thing where it focuses on one then the other.
    urgaffel wrote: »
    Woogity's got a point, the text is really hard to read. There's also a disconnect in the styles; the text and bubble are really sharp and defined while the character is looser and more haphazard. You can also see where the pressure sensitivity caused blobbing on the S, T, U and S of "Studio".
    hawken wrote: »
    The "jumping dragon" text is really difficult to read.
    Right, your help would be appreciated once again guys!

5u7xo.png

- I've re-drawn the text from scratch using freehand to better connect the styles of the logo.
    - The positive to negative space in the area is balanced a lot more in favour of the text part.
    - I've created a font type that's instantly more familiar than the kung-fu style previously in the design.

At the moment I'm 50/50 on it, as it's hard to discern how readable a sign is when you already know what it says and have been staring at it for hours.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    Trying to learn Unity so I took that max scene and imported it all in there. I just have the basic unity program. Anyway any suggestions would be nice.

unityShadowrun01_zpsa8e532b5.jpg
This discussion has been closed.