Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another mech (not Hawken!)

Hey!

By seeing all these mechs lately (hawken, vertex) I wanted to model my very own mech :)
Because I never really practiced modeling something based on a concept art I searched the net and came across this beast. The drawing was by Flying Debris (http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/) for FEAR 3. It is one of the first sketches for the EPA that never made it ingame. So all the credit goes to Flying Debris (Alexander Iglesia) and Day One Studios (copyright I guess).

fear_3_epa_designs_by_flyingdebris-d3jojc5.jpg

I just starting modeling the High Poly. But I'll be posting very regularly because I need this model for a rigging assignment. So texture has less priority right now.
I also will fix certain issues in sculpting software just because I'll probably will fix it much faster.

Ok, stop chatting and start modeling! xD

model01j.jpg

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    HALT!

Make sure you block out the entire mech first! With a concept like this it is the most important part of the project to ensure the proportions work.

Good luck.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Second Quack! there! Get the shapes right first. It'll help a lot when you're further into the process.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Quack! wrote: »
    HALT!

Make sure you block out the entire mech first! With a concept like this it is the most important part of the project to ensure the proportions work.

Good luck.

what he said. right now your model is too box-ish and lacking the proper volume and depth of the concept.

you started detailing way too early. block out the entire mech first.

i usually sculpt a very rough version, then decimate the sculpt and use it as a guideline for subd model. detailing, beveling etc should follow after the primary shapes are locked in.
  • TheGoozah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep you guys are right. My mistake, i'll go ahead and block out the big pieces first.
    I also have to admit it is the third time i started with the head piece. It is a weird shape. Some interesting curving in the lower plate (head to chest). It is the closest match so far and one of the most difficult shapes of the model.
    I'll also try and move some of those vertices to define the curbes better after blocking it.
    Thanks for pointing that out guys! Will post it the changes later today (with some detail I added before reading this :))