Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• LiselottePulva
    Can't see the normal map in the viewer... Arg!! - same at you ? 24 bit tagent
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9

are you using the Custom Hero shader on the vtm file?
  • LiselottePulva
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    are you using the Custom Hero shader on the vtm file?
    I just import the fbx file from maya and use the 4 texturemaps. No shader touched.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14

Make sure your _mask1 has information saved in the alpha channel, you need at least a dot in the corner or i will be discarded.
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far so good . How does it look?
    GAHiG.jpgAYM6F.jpg
  • Mamba91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    So far so good . How does it look?

I would raise a bit the sword, just to not change the attack animation, looking forward to see the next stage of the model tho.

I have a noobish question btw, how to import a model (say a .smd sword from the dota files) inside my own model? When I hit import smd file maya close my model and open only the one I imported :|

edit: the right one is good, better than the left pic
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally threw this up onto the workshop after a first pass on the blades textures. Should have the details and issues created by the importer fixed by the end of the day.

As an aside, I can't say I'm a fan of their built in tool and hope that it's limitations and inconsistencies from the tech page (For instance you're locked at 350 'polygons' - tris are more like it - when the tech page clearly states that each hero has a flexible poly limit for items based on their total budget) are fixed throughout the development of the Beta. They really need to allow us to submit fully compiled files with our own .qc's and whatnot so that we can make better use of the SourceSDK. /rant

a9q4U.jpg
  • LiselottePulva
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Make sure your _mask1 has information saved in the alpha channel, you need at least a dot in the corner or i will be discarded.

Thanks mate !
  • WarlockPsychologist
    This is a set I am working on for Earthshaker. It is my first set for any hero :)
    I am going for a Northern theme. This includes changing his fur/skin colour.

Also includes:

- bull like horns
    - mammoth tusks on his back to hold his totem
    - birch tree roots holding enchanted stones as his totem
    - I may do something for bracers but cant think of anything

picset1.jpg

picset2.jpg

Any comments or suggestions?
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    UQxjo.jpg
    muUAa.png
    one more part of the hunter set :DDD
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the first real detail pass finished up. Just some more finessing it and finishing up the rest of the maps, spec especially, and it should be 100%.

EIcp1.jpg

@Rayfire - Love the silhouette, should look great textured.

@Warlock - The design and execution are excellent. My one concern is that it may be a bit too de-saturated for the Dota 2 art style. Try throwing in some deeper colors to create more contrast.

@crazyone - Awesome! At first I thought the head piece was for a troll, but I suppose it fits BM pretty well too :)
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarlockPsychologist
    I like the idea, but I think you need RAM horns to set it off.

32.jpg

crazyone
    I love what I'm seeing. Reminds me of MAD MAX.
  • WarlockPsychologist
    I think I have seen ram horns out there already. Might be on the Workshop.
  • LiselottePulva
    This is a set I am working on for Earthshaker. It is my first set for any hero :)

Also includes:

- bull like horns

picset1.jpg

The horns looks too smal. Totem form maybe to thick on the ends.
    Can you show a screenshot with normals applied ?
  • Zeldrak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrak polycounter lvl 8

Also includes:

- bull like horns

picset1.jpg

picset2.jpg

I'd suggest the goat horns a few posts up, as well as giving the fur a bit of left over snow, just to dirty up the fur a bit. Otherwise, looking great!
  • gechbal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gechbal polycounter lvl 6
    I've created a custom armor for juggernaught, here's some screens !
    critiques are very welcome :)
    tenguarmor.jpg
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gechbal wrote: »
    I've created a custom armor for juggernaught, here's some screens !
    critiques are very welcome :)
    tenguarmor.jpg

How well does this animate? That's my biggest concern that it may be too much of a total re-skin and cause way too many clipping errors. Otherwise the art itself is great (aside from the sword hilt, that solid black has got to go) and assuming it does animate properly, fits Juggy very well :thumbup:
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Phew, this one's finally in the bag. I can move on to something else. btw, I recommend you never make shoulder items that wrap all the way around on heroes with capes... Skinning it drove me insane.

click the images to get to the set on the workshop

8F937F3C9CD76B12536A16B86BDC211ACF9889D2
    C4D096EBAFBBAF652B1AB1788189738FF316AFC4
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mamba91 wrote: »
    I would raise a bit the sword, just to not change the attack animation, looking forward to see the next stage of the model tho.

I have a noobish question btw, how to import a model (say a .smd sword from the dota files) inside my own model? When I hit import smd file maya close my model and open only the one I imported :|

edit: the right one is good, better than the left pic
    export your model (obj or fbx) then create a new maya scene then 1st import the .SMD(dota file) and the your model(obj or fbx)
  • Mamba91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    export your model (obj or fbx) then create a new maya scene then 1st import the .SMD(dota file) and the your model(obj or fbx)

Thank you kind sir :P
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, been lurking this forum for some time now. Thought I'd register and join in on the fun ^^
    Second weapon for QoP that i do. Linking in some pics if anyone would like to post some feedback. All your items are looking really great! This thread delivers.

85AA376CD2FDB2CA7DBB6480D2317229F1789ED1

141018CB9F0046AB54E865990E38DDF998DDD374

B041D7A76F2245CAA66AF8CC64FB335261142D15
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All done with this now. The masks take a bit of getting used to and some guess and check, but otherwise I think everything turned out fine. Also, has anyone gotten jiggle bones to work with the in game tool? Or do we just import some bones labeled jiggle and hope Valve does the rest?

pQKSH.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys

some days out and i see a lot of new well made itens, congrats =]

im almost done with the texture of my courier

almost all animations done (just the portraits that i cant do without the dota 2 test client =[ )

compiler is working now, finally

i just need to do the lod1 (3k tris), the pictures are with the lod0 3,5k tris

ground version
    0aCYV.jpg

flying version
    fKwDw.jpg

dont mind for the botton part of the owl wing, is still wip and it will never appear in the game
  • Mamba91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just.. love this courier! Well done man
  • Largs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paskie wrote: »
    Hey, been lurking this forum for some time now. Thought I'd register and join in on the fun ^^
    Second weapon for QoP that i do. Linking in some pics if anyone would like to post some feedback. All your items are looking really great! This thread delivers.

85AA376CD2FDB2CA7DBB6480D2317229F1789ED1

141018CB9F0046AB54E865990E38DDF998DDD374

B041D7A76F2245CAA66AF8CC64FB335261142D15

How did you test QOP's weapon?
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    z2Lc8.png
    Gonna start working on a new sword for Slithice.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Largs, you have to edit the scripts in dota to make it work.

I love that cat and owl! My daughter think it's awesome too :) Will be getting that one for sure if it gets into the game.
  • Danface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danface polycounter lvl 7
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94189041&fb_source=message

Keep being told the texture isn't too great but any ideas on what could be done to improve it?
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on SK set. Shoulder is almost ready. Working on helm now. Any thoughts?
    http://i.imgur.com/dxEHw.jpg

EDIT: Is it possible to make something glow using self illumination mask?
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    LecOv.jpg
    click the image to see more, rate and comment it if you like it (or not :D)
    finished it finally xD
  • LiselottePulva
    @crazyone: Like the Idea ! Just do it ! :poly121:

Check my axe helm. Tier is on the way!
    axe_screenshot.jpg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Hey all

I started working on an armor set for Windrunner, and started with the cape. But before I start unwrapping, I need to clarify what's up with 2-sided materials. I read Valve's official guide that the engine does not support 2-sided materials, and so if we want an inside/backside to something, it needs to have polys.

BUT as I look at Windrunner's cape model in game and in Max, the polys show on both sides. The inside texture is a mirror copy of the outside, which to me says that it's a 2 sided texture. If I select the two polys that make the cape point, there are a total of 2, not 4.

Am I missing something?

ViNFH.jpg
  • OpethRockr55
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is your selection tool ignoring the backfacing polygons? If you flip the model 180 and add those two 'same' faces to the current selection, you should get your 4.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    Well, I still have to upload in game screens, but vote if you can :) Thank you!
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94496275&searchtext=

NKNzO.jpg
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Is your selection tool ignoring the backfacing polygons? If you flip the model 180 and add those two 'same' faces to the current selection, you should get your 4.

No, I am not ignoring backfacing polygons. I actually rotated around and selected Verts, polys and edges, and came up with a total of 2 polys each time. The texture is also a mirror replicate of the opposite side.
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Rik wrote: »
    No, I am not ignoring backfacing polygons. I actually rotated around and selected Verts, polys and edges, and came up with a total of 2 polys each time. The texture is also a mirror replicate of the opposite side.
    What you have there is a 2-sided material. If you import that to the game, it'll be invisible from the front but visible from the back.

If I were you, I would slightly extrude the cape inwards and then bridge the polys.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    What you have there is a 2-sided material. If you import that to the game, it'll be invisible from the front but visible from the back.

If I were you, I would slightly extrude the cape inwards and then bridge the polys.

This is Windrunner's default model from the game, not my model. I imported the .OBJ file provided on the official DOTA2 site. The right side is in-game, the left side is a screen capture from max. That's why I'm confused, Valve says 'no 2-sided materials' and yet their own model looks like it is 2-sided.
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    This is Windrunner's default model from the game, not my model. I imported the .OBJ file provided on the official DOTA2 site. The right side is in-game, the left side is a screen capture from max. That's why I'm confused, Valve says 'no 2-sided materials' and yet their own model looks like it is 2-sided.
    Oh, my bad.
    Stuff like that, in my tests, would always appear invisible from one of the sides.
    The models and textures from the site are not always the most updated. Maybe the model on the site is an older one.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    RoqueDemon wrote: »
    Oh, my bad.
    Stuff like that, in my tests, would always appear invisible from one of the sides.
    The models and textures from the site are not always the most updated. Maybe the model on the site is an older one.

Odd, I'd think that they keep their official site as up to date as possible.

Here's where I'm at with the cloak at this point. I'll cast normals and bake an AO tonight so that I can get working on the diffuse. I'm just trying to avoid having to go back in and rework it, if I do end up having to add an inside to the cloak.

A friend of mine drew up a concept for Windrunner's outfit. We want to keep the forest greens and browns, but get rid of some of the bulkier parts of her attire. I want to get the cloak setup and working before I redo basically the whole model. Crawl, then walk, then sprint.

WindrunnerWIP.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all

I started working on an armor set for Windrunner, and started with the cape. But before I start unwrapping, I need to clarify what's up with 2-sided materials. I read Valve's official guide that the engine does not support 2-sided materials, and so if we want an inside/backside to something, it needs to have polys.

BUT as I look at Windrunner's cape model in game and in Max, the polys show on both sides. The inside texture is a mirror copy of the outside, which to me says that it's a 2 sided texture. If I select the two polys that make the cape point, there are a total of 2, not 4.

Am I missing something?

ViNFH.jpg

in fact the engine CAN support two sided, there is some models that uses it like the visage, but they ask you to no use because is a waste of processing for the engine

if the cape is a separated model, they maybe used two sided, but even with they using it if they ask you to avoid, is better avoid =]

on my dragon i needed to add poligons to the bottom part of the wings to correct that

for ref, drows cape is one sided and you cant see from the front of the model, but ingame its not really a problem

cystral mayden have polys on both sides
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a good practice is, on maya, turn off the double sided of the mesh inside the mesh properties/render stats

sometimes you are working with a complete messed up normals and without that i will just see the problem ingame
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it just me or did Valve break the in-game tool after today's update? Re-verified my files and still no dice.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Is it just me or did Valve break the in-game tool after today's update? Re-verified my files and still no dice.

Its working with a simple weapon at this end Mark, although i didn't see a dota 2 update (may have slid under the radar?)
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its working with a simple weapon at this end Mark, although i didn't see a dota 2 update (may have slid under the radar?)

Hmm odd. I didn't notice an update either, but I also notice that the in-game tool's UI has been changed since yesterday (they usually patch late Thursday night).

The picture explains a bit more.

wpf3l.jpg

That's when attempting to edit an existing workshop item.

I'll re-install later tonight after a bit of CS:GO and see if that fixes it.

Edit: The re-install did nothing so we'll see if they fully implement this new UI and get it working sometime this week...or maybe I have a new bug? I haven't found any mention of it elsewhere yet though.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weird im not seeing the same UI, ill let you know if i see the change this end.

On a completely different topic does anyone know what kind of compression's being run on the textures? dxt?

im importing a weapon for tidehunter and the compressions fucking killing me, its so bad with this particular item that it almost looks like the maps are being downsized from 256x128.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weird im not seeing the same UI, ill let you know if i see the change this end.

On a completely different topic does anyone know what kind of compression's being run on the textures? dxt?

im importing a weapon for tidehunter and the compressions fucking killing me, its so bad with this particular item that it almost looks like the maps are being downsized from 256x128.

they compress to a vtf file, you can test compressing you texture with the VTFEdit program
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Tvidotto was a big help :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Tvidotto was a big help :)
    you are welcome
    I love that cat and owl! My daughter think it's awesome too :) Will be getting that one for sure if it gets into the game.

thanks man! she likes cat? that is my kid Pandora
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tvidotto/sets/72157623347834578/
    Mamba91 wrote: »
    I just.. love this courier! Well done man

really thanks!

ok, its past 6am and i need to wake up in a few hours but i needed to finish it =]

im reeealy tired, hope you guys like it
    hz5Rg.jpg
    jda5Q.jpg
    DPMNM.jpg
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=94732903

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qN4Ffm1WY&hd=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8qN4Ffm1WY&hd=1[/ame]
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2Tvidotto
    This courier is awesome!!! really good job! =)
  • ionic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Largs, you have to edit the scripts in dota to make it work.

Can you say where that script locate?
    Edit: i think i found it, i add hero what i need for test, but when i press import i get eror, "polycount for this item =0"