Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Andyk125
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andyk125 polycounter lvl 4
    The boxing-glove mallet is hilarious and I like it a lot, but I doubt it would get into the game for the following reasons:
    1. Valve rarely adds custom weapon animations, even good ones.
    2. There's pretty much no way to make that non resource-intensive
    3. The only folks who wield stuff two-handed are the pyro and the demoman, and considering the handle size it would be gigantic for either of them.

As for the bane mask, while the model is quite good the problem there is going to be copyright and intellectual property issues. Valve would have to get permission from all the copyright holders involved, and that's potentially a big chunk of change and a huge pain.

Potentially very popular at gamebanana but unlikely to get in the actual game.

...on an unrelated note...could some of you folks drop by the Discussion section of the workshop and say things that don't make me want to gouge my eyes out? It's like the Lord of the Flies in there.

Your completely right, for the weapon it was just an fun idea after seeing al those serious things poly120.gif I will finish it, it will be good normal mapping training for me.

As for the mask, i know it will have some copyright issues. But I don't even need to make money out of it. so they might want to put it in as a promotional thing. poly120.gif who knows.

Here's an ingame shot, it's my forst model for tf2 and it's still just a test. The texture is very basic and no normal map applied.

I was wondering if it is possible to get a metal material applied to it, so it shines a bit?

rTJfy.jpg
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish polycounter lvl 8
    @Napy
    Thanks for the tutorial, however I'm still having issues where it's not animating. Did everything you said the the tutorial and still nothing. Any tips?
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still think that the Bane mask in general looks like complete shite. It makes me wanna kick kittens and juggle puppies before drop kicking them into orbit. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the promo's and trailers and everything else, the "captain mumbles" look severely tweaks me in a bad way. Seriously, running into someone randomly wearing a gimp mask is more intimidating. And it has happened to me, went in the wrong door going to the barber and directly into the adult toy store o.o.
  • Unavi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I made this skin for ta gamebanana contest and got the third place! What do you think and also I need help with a proper name for it so I can contibute it! Thanks
    4fffdd77b6f58.jpg
    more screenshots and download here: http://gamebanana.com/game/skins/118963
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Not fond of the rainbow color but I love the model itself

The color/texture on the lime seems off for TF2 also. You might want to have the brushwork be a bit more subtle on the fruit (as opposed to the rind) and maybe make it a little glossier. Love the umbrella.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made this yesterday, features face flexes thanks to Napy.
    Feel free to rate!
    5E7925BC873E6A0674BD8CA60555907BE61B1084
  • roninsmastermix
    268x268.resizedimage
    Defensive Dome
    Rate-up if you like it. Thanks for your support.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    @Ronin and Rowin - Top shelf, rated up and favorited.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RetroMike polycounter lvl 11
    Would you guys mind giving me some feedback on this set I've been working on? Might be a little to past Retro-futuristic but I wanted to give it a bash. I've posted bits here before but didn't really get any responses.

Also I'm aware of the clipping on the gun. Problem is I don't want to compromise the design and I have no clue how to make a new animation to correct it. I know I shouldn't hold my breath about Valve fixing it for me either. :(

Kind of image heavy so I will link rather than display the lot. Set is Helmet, Armguard and scarf misc, Boots misc, Tonfa Melee, Energy drink secondary, Plasma energy weapon Primary.

Sorry about the lack of AA

PT_Turn.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Canon_01.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Canon_02.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Tonfa_01.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Tonfa_03.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Punch.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Boots_02.png
  • Neelpos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaand here's a final resubmission of my very first model.
    6D8057C44396A777FD2502954797285521EC3DAC
    Finally got around to giving it a phong reflection, might come around to do paints later, but it's pretty much done.
  • Tom Hoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tom Hoen polycounter lvl 9
    First time poster here asking for opinions and feedback. This is my first item for TF2 and second model I've done in blender. The model is hovering a bit above the shoulders because otherwise they would clip through the painting when the Heavy spins his minigun. I tried to assign parts of the painting to shoulders to prevent the clipping but it just made it more horrible. Currently the whole painting is assigned to neck_bone. I'm also going to add image on that canvas and I'm currently trying to decide which one to paint on it. Should it be image of a person, animal, sasha or something heavy loves like sandwich.

yhdistelma_ennen_lod.jpg

Model has 884 tris and jigglebones assigned to canvas tears. It has 256x256 texture, is this too small or enough? Valve have said that for hats it's good to have 256x256.

Any opinions how it's looking? should I make the texture more colorful? Should I add some details like nails or more teared canvas? Basically make it more interesting to look at.

I also tried to add some teared canvas with alpha but couldn't get it to work.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neelpos: Love it. If you will pardon the comparison it reminds me of Castle Crashers, in a good way. The demo logo is a nice touch too.

Tom Hoen: Looks good so far. I wouldn't worry about the painting hovering a bit, no one is going to notice in the action. You might want to take some replay shots from the third person with the heavy looking up and down at extreme angles just to make sure the painting doesn't intersect the body when it follows.

Maybe the painting could be a buddy shot of the heavy and med together. Some jerk spy smashed it over his head. Color wise maybe a nice wood frame with brass corner molds?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    You might want to make it significantly smaller so as to reduce your clipping issues and potential silhouette problems (which Valve makes a big deal about)
  • roninsmastermix
    RetroMike wrote: »
    Would you guys mind giving me some feedback on this set I've been working on? Might be a little to past Retro-futuristic but I wanted to give it a bash. I've posted bits here before but didn't really get any responses.

Also I'm aware of the clipping on the gun. Problem is I don't want to compromise the design and I have no clue how to make a new animation to correct it. I know I shouldn't hold my breath about Valve fixing it for me either. :(

Kind of image heavy so I will link rather than display the lot. Set is Helmet, Armguard and scarf misc, Boots misc, Tonfa Melee, Energy drink secondary, Plasma energy weapon Primary.

Sorry about the lack of AA

PT_Turn.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Canon_01.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Canon_02.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Tonfa_01.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Tonfa_03.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Punch.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/62926950/PT_Boots_02.png

For a mod, it has a modest design. I see some clever design elements such as the gun nozzle being in the middle, the presumed pose-able heel guard and the nicely modeled scarf. As much as you have concerns with valve not accepting it for the clipping and animation issues, the futuristic shapes would be the more unfitting element of this set in my opinion. It threads the futuristic, "anime" style that it pays homage to too much.

You could also so some more detailing over all to achieve that TF2 wear and tear. I think it would benefit to have more paint chipping and some edge scratching on the more solid metal elements.

Another thing to watch out for is the coloring. Generally, valve has mentioned that the art direction was designed to have the lighter colors on the top of the model's torso (head, shoulder and chest) and fading down to more darker, less saturated colors as you approach the legs, feet and weapons. Right now your arm and shin guards have the same color range as your helmet. I see that it wont be an issue to have these guards be of a more desaturated, less vibrant color and tad darker hue.
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a mod, it has a modest design. I see some clever design elements such as the gun nozzle being in the middle, the presumed pose-able heel guard and the nicely modeled scarf. As much as you have concerns with valve not accepting it for the clipping and animation issues, the futuristic shapes would be the more unfitting element of this set in my opinion. It threads the futuristic, "anime" style that it pays homage to too much.

Thanks much for the feedback. I agree the choice of style is a big gamble here. I tried to theme it off of anime of the period [8 Man, Astroboy, Gigantor, ultra man, etc] and add a bit of Megaman in there. Kept the shapes smooth and simple but it probably still comes across as to modern.
    You could also so some more detailing over all to achieve that TF2 wear and tear. I think it would benefit to have more paint chipping and some edge scratching on the more solid metal elements.

Agreed. I swatched it up a bit but was waiting for feedback before giving it more character. Texturing is my weakest set so any tips would be very welcome. :)
    Another thing to watch out for is the coloring. Generally, valve has mentioned that the art direction was designed to have the lighter colors on the top of the model's torso (head, shoulder and chest) and fading down to more darker, less saturated colors as you approach the legs, feet and weapons. Right now your arm and shin guards have the same color range as your helmet. I see that it wont be an issue to have these guards be of a more desaturated, less vibrant color and tad darker hue.

I noticed other sets like the Scouts elf holiday set deviated a bit from that practice, but again you have a good point. It wont be hard to get a subtle gradient from boots to helm and see how it looks.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rate if you like what you see! Thanks,

0092FA1794000A5D19DC9F9701D989D943C15B3B
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rowinish, I love the beard, but I have to ask the stupid question. is it the same base brown as say the One Man Army hair? Cause part of the reason I kind of don't want the all father is cause I cannot get the colors to match so it has a nice solid feel and flow to the "set", as it were. Or maybe if whoever made the One Man Army/Worst Nightmare (I think it was Ronin, not sure, and I'm just writing this real quick whilst on a smoke break) could submit a second style to wear the hair itself is paintable and not the bandanna, or submit a non-bandanna extra style so the hair is painted instead. Just my thoughts, as much as they're worth, lol.
  • Rowinish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dr. Heinz I just randomly picked that color, but I can look into trying to match it to the gym rat. I'm also trying to match it to the hound dog.

EDIT: Redid my texture for the Deadly Combo
    4956AD797748114E5EB2E5AE037DB32F99002CDC
  • Karkasmolenklok
    The expression on the pink one matches my own.

Pity it couldn't be a streak like folks do with hair coloring, that seems way less horrible IMO.
  • Tom Hoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback RetroMike and Karkasmolenklok. I broke the framing a bit as the left arm clipped through it in some positions. I'll now start experimenting with scaling it down and adding the painting on canvas.

New version with LOD :

head_painting_kollaasi1.jpg
  • dak1ne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Narxide wrote: »
    Slovaks+bain1.jpg

Hey I'm kinda new the site and this is the first real hat I've made for TF2 so far, I tried to add jiggle bones but after hours of error messages I just gave up and stuck in the static model as is.

Someone stole the image and put it in its workshop as his own model...
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=84637963&searchtext=

Could you people all report him ?
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    Meet the 'Olympics'! :)

CD55FEC81FF21030F9D2D088127F5548326026D3

748D1BE2E23DA0693E7646482868D0A033FA810B
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Question, do lightwarps affect the whole model or can they be selectively applied?
  • Too Many Bees!
    Asdf_xuiop wrote: »
    Question, do lightwarps affect the whole model or can they be selectively applied?
    They affect a material, so in order to selectively lightwarp a model you would have to use multiple materials. Of course, you can have multiple vmt files (with different lightwarp values) point to the same vtf file. I base this on educated speculation rather than evidence.
  • Tom Hoen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could have sworn seen one wreath in game but can't find any proof. Maybe I was just dreaming.

Is the olympic torch really made out of wood? I think it would look better with golden handle instead of wooden. And add some hanging cloth on the base with jigglebones. It would make it look more majestic.

EDIT: Finished this:

31045C81F71F3B4EDB7A3CB4E7C7BE4104AC56B0

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=85477645
  • RetroMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I LOVE that the painting is a portrait of the Heavy. Nice work!
  • Constructor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HuobZ.png

Honky-tonky-tonk.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    maniac: it would be a good idea to remove "Olympics" and the Olympic Rings from the description - The International Olympic Committee will send an elite squad of Lawyer Warriors to sue you and then cut your head off, they're probably on their way right now to litigassassinate everyone in this thread.
  • Sexy Robot
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac: it would be a good idea to remove "Olympics" and the Olympic Rings from the description - The International Olympic Committee will send an elite squad of Lawyer Warriors to sue you and then cut your head off, they're probably on their way right now to litigassassinate everyone in this thread.

I was about to mention the same thing; valve is probably wincing just looking at that in the workshop. It's a load of corporate bullshit if you ask me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9N5-oyLnZ8"]When Superman Goes To The Olympics - YouTube[/ame]
  • Too Many Bees!
    After many nights of cursing at Painter for being its obnoxious self, it's finally done.

F033F27C85B7173DC20D12B696FE123DE08724D3

And I got to have some fun learning Source Filmmaker to pose some pretty shots.

63BA3B998EDB81975ACC45CE40ED834130AD67F3
  • maniac™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maniac™ polycounter lvl 8
    @Justin_Meisse, @Asdf_xuiop\\ Yes, yes.. seems that was not a very good idea to do these Olympic items and call them 'Olympic' :P, maybe I'll rename or remake something. Maybe I'll do... wait a minute, somebody is knocking at my door......
  • Constructor
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambitious, Constructor, but I don't think it'll get in. But it doesn't hurt to try to submit it.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Mtf0

Here, have a thing I made off the top of my head.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone know where the default TF2 weapons are located? So far I have found the characters but I have not found the weapons yet.
  • Manibogi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    Valve's request!? Does this mean it's pretty much confirmed?
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    Manibogi wrote: »
    Valve's request!? Does this mean it's pretty much confirmed?

Beats me, would be nice though.
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot wrote: »
    Beats me, would be nice though.

Shouldn't it have camoflauge? I mean it looks good, but there's a lot of this helmet + goggles style going around.
  • Dr. Heinz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SR, why don't you just give up the friggen ghost and go work for Valve already?
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    Working on a new medic set.

Got base colors and lighting bakes done on the melee. I'll be working on texture detail today.
    medicmelee.png
  • Asdf_xuiop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool, I might suggest making the brown grip thicker.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Asdf_xuiop wrote: »
    Superman Goes to the Olypmics
    Well to be fair...superman is a dick
  • Taq
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taq
    Hi everyone!
    I'm starting to make an item set for the scout.
    Here is the concept/plan for a scattergun that I'm dubbing:
    "The Blenderbuss"
    7679310460_206309ca8f_b.jpg

It fires bits of vegetables.

Let me know what you think!
  • eedobaba7726
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    More work done on this medic melee.

medicmelee2.png
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I feel like that canister of magical science there needs something to transition it better into the rest of the saw, it almost looks like it's just clipped in there you know? Like a cut-out portion or a rim of some kind perhaps.

I am really loving the handle, it's all too common for people not to bother to do an interesting handle.
  • Evil_Knevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really loving the handle, it's all too common for people not to bother to do an interesting handle.

That's because it's always hidden in the characters hand. Why waste polys on it if you can't even see it.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    That's because it's always hidden in the characters hand. Why waste polys on it if you can't even see it.
    Well while part of it is hidden in-game in the character's hand, I do think that people neglect that the model itself is art, and not just art-on-a-stick. Granted, I agree making overly elaborate handles isn't necessary...but why not DIFFERENT handles? Folk seem to practically copy/paste handles and it bugs me.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I've got a problem when trying to export a .smd/.vta from Blender. I've tried with Blender 2.63 and 2.63a, and version 1.3 of the SMD tools (all the latest). The error is the following:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
     File "C:\Blender 2.63\2.63'scripts\addons\io_smd_tools.py", line 3263, in execute 
      self.exportObject(context,context.active_object,groupIndex=props.groupIndex
     File "C:\Blender 2.63\2.63'scripts\addons\io_smd_tools.py", line 3359 in exportObject
      if writeSMD(context, object, groupIndex, path + getFileExt()):
     File "C:\Blender 2.63\2.63'scripts\addons\io_smd_tools.py", line 2700, in writeSMD
      writeFrames()
     File "C:\Blender 2.63\2.63'scripts\addons\io_smd_tools.py", line 2159, in writeFrames
      action = smd.a.animation_data.action
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no atribute 'action'

Anyone have an idea what's going on here?

Edit: there was apparently a bug with the exporter; a newer download didn't have this issue.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    No, but I'm glad to see you're still around and working on TF2 stuff.

(still waitin' for Valve to gimme my man hittin' project)