Home General Discussion

Trying Blender

Vio
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Vio polycounter lvl 6
So I just downloaded Blender which was an amazingly small download for what I have seen of this program. I'v just been giving it a bit of a test and there's a lot to get used to like finding smoothing groups, how to unwrap and so on.

What I was curious about though is, is it worth learning it fully? I know Maya and Max. I love Max to bits and of course both of those are heavily used in the industry but ever since I'v been using zBrush and UDK, I just see the modelling programs as a step to get into the other programs.

I never put things in my portfolio anymore that are rendered from Max unless its Xoliul's awesome shader. I find I'm only using max now to produce a base mesh, retopology, unwrapping, creating obj's/ASC and FBX files.

Replies

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Blender is a different thing for everybody. Some use it in a pipeline with other programs, cause it sometimes does tasks better/faster, like unwrapping. Some use it for everything, for a multitude of reasons. Some only play with it (in particular, it's particles/physics capabilities.) Itll be up to you to find how it fits into your creative life. If you already know 3D software, there really isn't too much to learn, and what there is is pretty fun. Blender does things its own damn way sometimes, but that can't be helped. The GLSL viewport rendering isn't too bad and the cycles renderer is pretty impressive.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Well if it has the ability to do everything that happens in max according to the pipelines I'v used before I may as well keep it and learn it. I'm sort of confused about why its free, they have donations of course but AutoDesk have a price system Jamie Dimon would golf clap.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know a huge amount about Blender. But it was actually a paid 3D app long ago, the company went bust and the community bought it/paid off debt via donations and make it open-source and free. I think.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    I love Blender and think it's worth learning (and supporting). I've found the opinion amongst many pros is that Blender is simply a hobbyist's tool and not a very good one at that - which I don't share or understand. I think it's an amazing application. Being an American, I have a hunch that opinion is mostly relegated to the States, and admittedly to my very small sphere of professional influence.

If there is a negative bias towards Blender, I think it might be because of snobbery or ignorance or a combination of both. A prevailing attitude of "If it's free, how good can it be?" or the notion you must spend many thousands of dollars to have something decent still persists, but I think in a down economy, that feeling might not be so popular anymore.

Another factor against Blender until recently was the interface. It was just too different from mainstream apps until the 2.5 and upward release. Now it looks and feels pretty much like any app you care to use. There are still differences, of course, but that's true of all the apps.

In defense of those who don't want to learn Blender because no big (i.e. paying) studios (at least game studios) use it... well, that's fairly accurate (although I won't say entirely true because I don't know what every studio uses). Most studios are firmly in the clutches of Autodesk and if you want to work at those studios, you really need to broadcast your Max and Maya (and maybe some XSI) knowledge and downplay your use of programs like Blender. Companies that invest heavily in a commercial product tend to want employees working with that product and tend to be unimpressed with knowledge of other programs. That's been my experience, at least. YMMV.

And there is always the time factor to consider. If I only have X hours a day to devote to learning a new tool, do I want to learn another industry-standard app (Maya if your are a Max user or XSI if you know both Maya and Max, for example) or do I want to put my time towards something less commercially-used as Blender? I understand if artists want to spend their time making art or working on their traditional painting and sculpting skills or learning Zbrush over learning another all-encompassing 3D application. Blender really could be all you need to make great art, but if you've already learned Max and Maya, it might not make a lot of sense to learn something that is not fundamentally different from what you've used for years. So, I get why someone might feel like there's little point to learning it.

What I love about Blender is the freedom I get with it (not just financial). If I want to install it on a PC, I can. If I have a MacBook, no worries. There's a Blender for that (for free). Linux? Same. These may seem like small things, but anyone who has dealt with licensing software will immediately appreciate a simple-download-and-install-and-you're-off to-the-races. Other applications, like Modo, don't gouge you or restrict you nearly the way Autodesk does with their licensing. So there are options other than Blender that don't punish the user.0

At a small indie studio (there are a lot of them out there and more popping up every day), Blender would be my first choice simply because you can do everything you need for most games without dropping a dime. That's pretty powerful, especially as a lot of the big studios close or hemorrhage money and employees. Limiting costs is usually a good thing and it's hard to beat free.

Lots of timeley releases, generally very stable and pretty full-featured (modeling, animation, rendering, simulation, etc)- there's a lot to like about Blender. There are some chinks in the armor, though. BMesh has done a lot to bring Blender's modeling up to what most people coming from Max, Maya, XSI have used for years, but I've heard complaints about beveling not being as robust. Hasn't been a problem for me though. Also, finding good importers/exporters for various file formats can be iffy. The good news is there is usually someone out there in Blender land that is working on a plugin, addon or tool that will help. But, that's not always a reliable way to work, especially under a tight deadline.

In my opinion, a working knowledge of the program is a good thing. I don't think Blender will ever replace Max or Maya, but it's great there is such a powerful alternative. I think Blender is where a lot of the innovation in 3D is happening right now.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    SurlyBird wrote: »
    I love Blender and think it's worth learning (and supporting). I've found there is a prevailing opinion among many pros is that is simply a hobbyist's tool and not a very good one at that - which I don't share. I think it's an amazing application. Being an American, I have a hunch that opinion is mostly relegated to the States, and admittedly to my very small sphere of professional influence.

If there is a negative bias towards Blender, I think it might be because of snobbery or ignorance or a combination of both. A prevailing attitude of "If it's free, how good can it be?" or the notion you must spend many thousands of dollars to have something decent still persists, but I think in a down economy, that feeling might not be so popular anymore.

Another factor against Blender until recently was the interface. It was just too different from mainstream apps until the 2.5 and upward release. Now it looks and feels pretty much like any app you care to use. There are still differences, of course, but that's true of all the apps.

Finally, in defense of those who don't want to learn Blender because no big (i.e. paying) studios (at least game studios) use it... well, that's pretty accurate (although I won't say entirely true because I don't know what every studio uses). Most studios are firmly in the clutches of Autodesk and if you want to work at those studios, you really need to broadcast your Max and Maya (and maybe some XSI) knowledge and downplay your use of programs like Blender. Companies that invest heavily in a commercial product tend to want employees working with that product.

What I love about Blender is the freedom I get with it (not just financial). If I want to install it on a PC, I can. If I have a MacBook, no worries. There's a Blender for that (for free). Linux? Same. These are small things and other applications, like Modo, don't gouge you or restrict you nearly the way Autodesk does with their licensing. At a small, indie studio (there are a lot of them out there and more popping up every day), Blender would be my first choice simply because you can do everything you need for most games without dropping a dime. That's pretty powerful, especially as a lot of the big studios close or hemorrhage money and employees.

Lots of timeley releases, generally very stable and pretty full-featured (modeling, animation, rendering, simulation, etc)- there's a lot to like about Blender. There are some chinks in the armor, though. BMesh has done a lot to bring Blender's modeling up to what most people coming from Max, Maya, XSI have used for years, but I've heard complaints about beveling not being as robust. Hasn't been a problem for me though. Also, finding good importers/exporters for various file formats can be iffy. The good news is there is usually someone out there in Blender land that is working on a plugin, addon or tool that will help. But, that's not always a reliable way to work, especially under a tight deadline.

In my opinion, a working knowledge of the program is a good thing. I don't think Blender will ever replace Max or Maya, but it's great there is such a powerful alternative. I think Blender is where a lot of the innovation in 3D is happening right now.

That's a very interesting take on it. I think if it comes down to snobbery then snobbery isn't going to guarantee good art. I personally find the real fine detail comes from zBrush, I see that program as the canvas and Max is now a tool to set up the canvas as brilliant as it is.

My point is, if I can create a base mesh in blender for free when all the heard graft is going to happen in zBrush, then its hard to see Max as good value. You know, what are the studios getting out of the expensive license fees if there is a free alternative with the same technical abilities.

Of course I don't make the rules, you are right in that things aren't likely to change, but it does make you wonder when you look at say the deal you get with UDK, where you only pay if you're making money off it.

I suppose if your an animator its a bit different.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Vio wrote: »
    So I just downloaded Blender which was an amazingly small download for what I have seen of this program. I'v just been giving it a bit of a test and there's a lot to get used to like finding smoothing groups, how to unwrap and so on.

What I was curious about though is, is it worth learning it fully?

It is worth it in the sense of; You are not losing anything, it is free for personal / commercial use, there are many blender tutorials that can be found for free through which you can master blender. There is probably no money involved so hay.

Doesnt hurt to learn it. I've seen many people using it for their 3d portfolio as well.

Do consider looking in to their short films, e-shop and gallery. If you like what they have done. Go ahead and learn it.

For me its kind of worth it.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    That's a very interesting take on it. I think if it comes down to snobbery then snobbery isn't going to guarantee good art. I personally find the real fine detail comes from zBrush, I see that program as the canvas and Max is now a tool to set up the canvas as brilliant as it is.

My point is, if I can create a base mesh in blender for free when all the heard graft is going to happen in zBrush, then its hard to see Max as good value. You know, what are the studios getting out of the expensive license fees if there is a free alternative with the same technical abilities.

Of course I don't make the rules, you are right in that things aren't likely to change, but it does make you wonder when you look at say the deal you get with UDK, where you only pay if you're making money off it.

I suppose if your an animator its a bit different.

There are some great animation tools in Blender. In fact there are animation tools in Blender I have yet to see in Max or Maya.

The licensing fees for Max and Maya are considerable, but there is also the additional cost of converting everyone from a standard studio tool to something new. The money and time put into Maya or Max plug-ins, exporters, tools and other bits of code used in most big game studios will probably mean it's just too expensive to switch.

And it's hard to get people to change. Just getting someone to use Max when all they've used is Maya is hard and the inverse can be just as true. I think Blender has a bright future in the indie scene, but maybe it will never get much penetration in a large corporation.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I would imagine if they made Blenders UI more similar to something like Max or Maya it would have a better chance there.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    I don't know a huge amount about Blender. But it was actually a paid 3D app long ago, the company went bust and the community bought it/paid off debt via donations and make it open-source and free. I think.

That's not true at all as far as I know... it used to be an in-house tool that was created at a studio Ton Roosendal worked at, then they simply made the decision to develop it as open source software. They can afford to keep developing Blender for free because they get grants from their awesome government and from proceeds from Blender goods (so buy their DVD's/T-Shirts! :) )

Blender's U.I. is much closer to other 3D Programs now. You should have seen it prior to 2.5! I never thought I would get used to the drastic difference in U.I. when 2.5 came out, but I'd be hard pushed to go back now.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using Max for 10years or so. I have switched to using Blender for all my personal art at home. I haven't been using it for too long, but once you get it customized and start to figure it out, it's absolutely capable as a 3d app.

Now that BMesh is in the main releases, we should start seeing a lot more functional modeling tools released. There's no reason the modeling tools can't be on par with Max. A lot of features exist already, or are on their way.

The viewport renderer could stand some performance upgrades. That is one area that could use help. It is simply not able to support the kind of vert counts that other higher end apps can. Hopefully that will be improved upon.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Is there a "cut" tool? I found that is probably the most useful tool in Max
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    In the newest version (or older second hand builds with BMesh) there is. Default hotkey is K.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    That's not true at all as far as I know... it used to be an in-house tool that was created at a studio Ton Roosendal worked at, then they simply made the decision to develop it as open source software. They can afford to keep developing Blender for free because they get grants from their awesome government and from proceeds from Blender goods (so buy their DVD's/T-Shirts! :) )

Blender's U.I. is much closer to other 3D Programs now. You should have seen it prior to 2.5! I never thought I would get used to the drastic difference in U.I. when 2.5 came out, but I'd be hard pushed to go back now.

To Wiki we go! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blender_(software)#History

A bit of both.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think there's an anti-blender conspiracy or snobbery, look at how fast non-Autodesk products like Crazybump, Zbrush and 3D Coat have become integrated into industry pipelines.

From my attempts at using it, Blender behaves like no other 3d app I've ever used - I'm sure it's great for people that have the time to spend weeks figuring it out but I don't really have the time to do that, if I can't figure it out in a few hours it's not worth it to me.

Granted all my issues stem from trying to import an unwrapped model and apply an existing texture to it, after talking to Blender users they admit that the material system is a little weird and unintuitive.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I don't think there's an anti-blender conspiracy or snobbery, look at how fast non-Autodesk products like Crazybump, Zbrush and 3D Coat have become integrated into industry pipelines.

From my attempts at using it, Blender behaves like no other 3d app I've ever used - I'm sure it's great for people that have the time to spend weeks figuring it out but I don't really have the time to do that, if I can't figure it out in a few hours it's not worth it to me.

Granted all my issues stem from trying to import an unwrapped model and apply an existing texture to it, after talking to Blender users they admit that the material system is a little weird and unintuitive.

Yeah after a day of playing around with it, its really out on its own in terms of the UI. I don't really see the point in why its that different, could it be legal/copyright issues? I just feel if it was slightly more in sync with the mainstream programs in that area it would be a much more widely used package.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    find it's a app i want to like, i like it's uv tools, and it animation/rigging tools, and texture painting in it is pretty nice, but lack of proper fbx support, and it's in my opinion fucked up way of handling normals, just ruins it for me.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well those are complementary packages, not direct competitors to the central Autodesk suites like Max, Maya and XSI.

I would agree. Blender has to be kind of a hobby for people at the beggining, they have to have a bit of fun learning the software and it's quirks as well as actually making art if they want to keep it up. I've not heard of many people who 'pushed through' its quirks for another purpose, like freelancing with it.

I would MOST DEFINITELY agree with this hah. The material/texturing component of Blender is probably the funkiest part of the whole software, and something I would like to see overhauled ala B-Mesh.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I wish this was around when I was a kid, I would save up every dollar I could to buy 3d software off of shareware catalogs, it was usually shitty VRML software and stuff like POV-RAY which had modeling via command line.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10

Edge split modifier I think does the same thing as smoothing groups. I'm kinda the reverse and really only know how Blender does stuff heh. Unwrapping you usually mark edge seams and hit u to unwrap. 3DBuzz goes over it in one of their videos.

Kent Trammell has some a really good set of ongoing tutorials that kind of demonstrate Blender's general modeling, sculpting, texture capabilities. Might give you a better idea if it's something you want to invest time in learning or not. I mean it's a free application, so time is really the only investment.
    passerby wrote: »
    find it's a app i want to like, i like it's uv tools, and it animation/rigging tools, and texture painting in it is pretty nice, but lack of proper fbx support, and it's in my opinion fucked up way of handling normals, just ruins it for me.

FBX support (and Collada for different reasons) have been a thorn for Blender. Autodesk's FBX SDK isn't compatible with the GPL (they can't redistribute it or something I forget). One of the Google Summer of Code projects starting at the end of the month is for FBX Import, so I guess someone thinks they have a solution.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I wish this was around when I was a kid, I would save up every dollar I could to buy 3d software off of shareware catalogs, it was usually shitty VRML software and stuff like POV-RAY which had modeling via command line.

Dude, first thing I ever made in 3d was with POV-Ray (which was actually a decent free raytracer).

To learn blender, go here:
    http://blendtuts.com/blender_tutorials

Start with the bottom one here:
    http://blendtuts.com/blender_tutorials?field_level_value=All&page=2
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum wrote: »
    Dude, first thing I ever made in 3d was with POV-Ray (which was actually a decent free raytracer).

To learn blender, go here:
    http://blendtuts.com/blender_tutorials

Start with the bottom one here:
    http://blendtuts.com/blender_tutorials?field_level_value=All&page=2

POV-Ray constructive solid geometry for the win! Typed in a text file, of course.

The first time I modeled something in Max it tripped me out because the model WAS JUST A SHELL. :eek:

Oh, yeah...Blender...

I used to hate Blender. The UI was horrendous and kept me from learning more about it.

The new UI made me take a new look at Blender. Now, I think Blender stands on its own and is more than capable of creating whatever you need.

The main drawback is that Blender has a quirky way of doing things. It has a steep learning curve because it isn't very intuitive if you are coming from Max or Maya. Lucky for me, I enjoy a challenge.

I use whatever tools are required to do the job, but for my little projects Blender+Unity is a no-brainer. If you are only interested in studio jobs, stick with Max and Maya.

Another great site: http://cgcookie.com/blender/
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Vio check this addon http://www.bsurfaces.info/ if you're into retopo :).
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I thought I'd give Blender a try. I've downloaded several times over the past few years, but I've never actually tried to do anything in it.

Things I love:
    • SPACEBAR SEARCH!! Literally anything I looked for was a search away. For example, "What's the hotkey for Playback? Oh, Alt+A. Thank you Spacebar Search tool."
    • The UI is sharp and responsive.
    • I love how everything is a viewport. They can be torn off, swapped, and isolated (full screen).
    • Unlike 3ds Max, the Euler Rotation value shown in the curve editor matches the transform box on the UI.
    • Every tooltip I saw had the python command right under it.
    • Small download was loaded with Add-ons.
    • Rendering is pretty straight forward.
    • You can keep working while you are rendering.

Things I disliked:
    • Right click to Select on by default.
    • Confirm Transformations on by default.
    • No Max navigation style, only Maya and Blender.
    • The Rotate gizmo icon is an arrow with a slight curve. Took a while to find it.
    • I would prefer an Open file dialog instead of a fullscreen file browser.
    • I wish you could select keys in the Timeline.

For my first task, I thought I'd do something easy. Explore the interface, then animate a box jumping and render it out. This took about two hours since I had almost no experience with the program before now. My next task will be a walk cycle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJkG7BkHlU"]Blender 2.6: First Animation - Box Jump - YouTube[/ame]
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    "Every tooltip I saw had the python command right under it."

if you like that, try right click and do view docs!

Also, no one uses the gizmos in blender. If you want to axis constrain press R (rotate) then x y or z to lock to that axis and press again if you want to go in to local. You can then type in numbers at this point.

Try rigify if you just want to character animate without doing a rig.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    great thread. I've been pondering to give blender a try and this thread confirmed that I should actually do it :)

The problem with blender is that it has no foothold in the industry. Almost all studios have existing tools and pipelines. Artists which are familiar often up to expert level with an app. No time to lose for learning, especially when it concerns an entire studio. Hiring people with blender as main app is a problem. Convincing IT that relative newcomer a free tool beats a commercial app. I'd say it's more difficult than switching an entire gfx company to Linux on the desktop level.

Nevertheless, I think it's great that there's an open source 3D app and I'd love to see more like this in production.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks to everyone who provided tutorial links, they are all super helpful to those of us looking to give this thing a bash.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I would also like the point out that while it's a pain to get materials set up and working with the 3d painting tools, that Blender's projection paint tools are pretty shnazzy.

Also using matcaps and masking and baking the results out can be great for laying down a foundation for your diffuse maps.

Once you get used to it I find Blender to be a really great tool, I enjoy the subdiv tool it has and being able to adjust a crease with a slider, it's not a 100% of the time method for subdiv modeling but it works in quite a few instances.

And using the shrinkwrap modifier works well for making clothing and armor base meshes for sculpting and for retopo work.

In fact, overally I really enjoy the modifier stack in Blender, it sort of works well for me as a halfway point between how I worked in Max and Maya.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Yeah materials are awkard at first, but there's that layer addon which works with painting and everyone should get it :).Don't forget to enable your Glsl shading or you won't get more than one texture at a time if you have layers :).
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    yeah... ive been thinking of giving it another go soon... last time i tried i got as far as creating some cubes and struggling with the UI...time to give it another go it seams...
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been using Blender for the most of the time while in school.
    I used to hate it when it was still in the "old" 2.49 UI version. Now it's my main tool.

Im learning max now because it helps knowing it for getting into game industry.
    Im not saying max ain't good, but it feels like a slow behemoth for me now when coming from Blender.
    But once i get the hold of the shortcuts it will probably get better.

I don't see anything wrong about Blenders material system. Although i don't use it that much either. I just do unwrapping in Blender, textures in Photoshop and then rendering in UDK, Unity or Marmoset.

Good things:

+ Free / Free plugins / Great Community
    + When you get hold of the shortcuts, its fast. No tweaking with gizmos..
    + UV tools
    + Spacebar Search (why on earth other packages dont have that?)
    + Modifiers (no need to collapse modifiers like in max)
    + It's getting better fast. (I remember being exited when i heard Lightwave getting an realtime viewport rendering. Time passed by.. few years actually before it was released on LW11. Blender announced Cycles. Few months later we already had it on our hands..)
    + You can customize the UI layout the way you want. Super easy, no need to go to settings or anything
    + perfect for freelance work, indie teams, works like a charm with Unity.

Bad Things:

- Not used really in larger game studios
    - Game Engine feels unnecessary, i only know one serious game using it for real.
    - Beveling. I havent looked into it, maybe it's possible (i know theres a modifier for it, but its not the same) .. i just do it "manually"..
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    walreu wrote: »
    - Beveling. I havent looked into it, maybe it's possible (i know theres a modifier for it, but its not the same) .. i just do it "manually"..

2.63 has bevel (should be in the specials menu - w). It's comically buggy though. Probably should have been cut for release, but a lot of people really wanted it I guess.

They're porting over a bevel plugin from Sketchup. Right now it's an add-on called Bevel Round. You can find it on this page. It's still testing but works better than the trunk bevel, and eventually will replace it.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    monster wrote: »
    Things I disliked:
    • Right click to Select on by default.
    • Confirm Transformations on by default.
    • No Max navigation style, only Maya and Blender.
    • The Rotate gizmo icon is an arrow with a slight curve. Took a while to find it.
    • I would prefer an Open file dialog instead of a fullscreen file browser.
    • I wish you could select keys in the Timeline.

Blender encourages a gizmo-less manipulation. Its much much much faster to press the move hotkey and move your mouse, than to click and drag on handles. This is something Modo users have known a long time, but Max and Maya users "dont know what they dont know"

You can set up a max navigation style easily. The hotkey config setup is great, and its really easy to set up new hotkeys. The first thing I did was make the navigation like Max, and set the 1-2-3 keys to Vert, Edge, Face select in edit mode.

Another tip: Go to the user preferences, then addons, and enable "Dynamic Spacebar Menu". No clue why its not default. It has the search + everything else in the app:

300px-Scripts_3D_interaction_Dynamic_Spacebar_Menu_b.jpg

As for the timeline issue, check this video:

http://blendtuts.com/animation_basics

At the end, he shows how to replace the timeline with a modified Dope Sheet which works the way you'd expect. Another reason I like blender - customization!

In fact, if anyone wants my key setup, here it is:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2586457/jm_blender_keys.py

Also, here's my startup.blend
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2586457/startup.blend

Just save the file and in the User Preferences (Ctrl-Alt-U), Import Key Configuration).

A few changes:

Max style navigation which means:

middle click: pan
    alt-middle: rotate
    ctrl-alt-middle: zoom

Also, in edit mode: 1-2-3 keys = Vertex, Edge, Face. Also works in UV edit mode as long as selection sync is on.

Right click is now lasso select instead of tweak/grab. Everyone in the world should quit using Box select in every app 80% of the time and use lasso. There are only a few times ever where Box is more efficient than lasso. Another thing most people dont realize :P

Ctrl-Mousewheel: Select more/select Less (Grow/shrink selection in Max)

Alt-W: Merge menu. M is too far on the keyboard for something you'll use that often.

Ctrl-X: Loop cut/slide. Usually defaults to Ctrl-R, but I find that too cumbersome for something I use a lot. Personal preference, YMMV

Also, if you hate the right as select, just go to the User Preferences and in the input, change the select button to left instead of right.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Ah I got it, cheers for the presets it instantly feels less alien.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl-E: Loop cut/slide. Usually defaults to Alt-R, but I find that too cumbersome for something I use a lot.

How do you access the edge tools when you've taken its hotkey? Also, loop cut is CTRL-R. Alt-R is spin.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Overlord wrote: »
    How do you access the edge tools when you've taken its hotkey? Also, loop cut is CTRL-R. Alt-R is spin.

Whoops! I meant Ctrl-X. You are correct sir!

Another funny thing about blender is the x key being the default for delete. At first I was annoyed by this, but I realized it's much nicer than delete/backspace because you don't have to move your hand off the mouse or across the keyboard.

The best advice I can give for someone looking to learn a new app and getting frustrated: question everything you do. Try to justify the reason why you expect something to work the way you think it should. I'd wager half the time the only reason you feel like it 'should' be that way is because of habit, not because it's better or more efficient. Always think about what you're doing and how you can improve your workflow/processes. This actually applies even if you're not switching apps. Don't get caught in a habit for the sake of it - justify what you're doing and try to get faster and more efficient.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another tip: Go to the user preferences, then addons, and enable "Dynamic Spacebar Menu". No clue why its not default. It has the search + everything else in the app:

Yes, everyone do this. It's much better.

Lots of great links in this thread! :)

Even though I've been using Blender for many years, I've still not gotten used to the stupid cursor and the ways it's used though. Sad face.

+ Modifiers (no need to collapse modifiers like in max)

By the looks of your post, you have some wrong information. This is one of them. The beauty of Max's modifier system is that you DON'T have to collapse the stack... therefore retaining the option to change things. Very handy modelling process.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the looks of your post, you have some wrong information. This is one of them. The beauty of Max's modifier system is that you DON'T have to collapse the stack... therefore retaining the option to change things. Very handy modelling process.

What other wrong information?

Well i have to admit, i haven't used that much max's modifiers but it sucks that i have to add a Unwrap UVW modifier to my model just so i can unwrap it (or do i?) ,and when im done, i cant go back to editing polys unless i collapse it. Am i wrong?

edit: whoops my bad, it wasn't collapsing, it was just that annoying pop-up.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even though I've been using Blender for many years, I've still not gotten used to the stupid cursor and the ways it's used though. Sad face.

You can use it to move objects/vertices etc to exact points, set origins..

Btw, i've had dynamic space bar menu working as default everytime i have installed Blender..
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i have to admit, i haven't used that much max's modifiers but it sucks that i have to add a Unwrap UVW modifier to my model just so i can unwrap it (or do i?) ,and when im done, i cant go back to editing polys unless i collapse it. Am i wrong?

I wouldn't necessarily collapse it, but you might have to re-UV that particular shell; that would all depend on the model. Yeah, if you are moving up and down a modifier stack you will frequently get warnings. They can be annoying.
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, in Blender, if you pin your UV's and leave the seams in place on your mesh, you can just unwrap it again and stitch the new UV's into place. I don't think you can do that in Max.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    about hte modifer stack, yes very useful, the problem is in max there are lots of things that shouldn't be in the stack, editing normals should just be part of the editable poly's as well as UV's should be in the editable poly, and get there own window or viewport like blender or maya.
  • Ruka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruka polycounter lvl 5
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^That makes me think that i never used it but i wonder if you could be able to display your portfolio pieces with the BGE if it has some nice lighting and supports shaders with normal maps and all that.I reckon i'll have to look into that.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Kwramm wrote: »
    great thread. I've been pondering to give blender a try and this thread confirmed that I should actually do it :)

^ this! :)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Really liking the modifier stack in Blender (been using it for years, mainly for UV mapping but recently doing most of my modeling in it too).

For my current project I've been retopologising my model and have a first pass rig with a short deformation test animation. Using the modifier stack:

Mirror the new mesh
    Subdivide the new mesh
    Shrink wrap the new mesh onto the source mesh
    Skin new mesh to the rig

Doing this means only working on one side (obviously), and having it in this order means when it is subdivided the new geometry is then shrinkwrapped to the source, so you can see what it will look like when you reproject, and then the whole thing is on the rig so you can see how the final result will deform (been very impressed with Blender's autoskinning).

And by toggling on the visibility/editing options of the modifiers you can actually scrub the timeline to move the rig into a pose, then edit the mesh in that pose and it will propogate the changes from the default pose and shrinkwrap onto the deformed one. So you can for example raise the character's arm and twist it, then push verts and see in real time the projection updating.

Hopefully that made some sense. I found it cool anyway.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    about hte modifer stack, yes very useful, the problem is in max there are lots of things that shouldn't be in the stack, editing normals should just be part of the editable poly's as well as UV's should be in the editable poly, and get there own window or viewport like blender or maya.

This is exactly how i feel too. Mirroring is there too..
    ..But that doesn't mean it is not necessary just because you don't need it. This depends much on your own point of view. And there are more games made with BGE than you are aware of

Youre right, i wrote that mainly from my point of view..
    But still, i check out Blender's front page news everyday and i can't remember seeing commercial quality game stuff made with the game engine in there. If you know these kind of projects, i would love to see them.
    Unity on the other hand goes down the hill with it's approach to reach a mass consumer sector, where every average Joe can create a game thrown together with pre-made assets.

??
    I don't get this. Should game making be hard?
    I think Unity is doing good job making things that shouldn't be rocket science ,easier.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to follow this thread, paired with thorough tutorial reading, coupled with absurd amounts of caffeine and background musics. I really need to sink my stupid, lazy teeth into 3D art, and Blender is free, so hey.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    I've personally been trying to make Blender like Silo, but with a lot of other cool stuff tacked on. With Bmesh now it's pretty close.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe we could have a blender thread or something, that would be sweet.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    I'm thinking I might set myself a challenge in August to see if I can use just Blender and ZBrush for another character I'm thinking of starting, I'd probably still want it in UDK at the end though.