Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• an aggressive napkin
    Hey guys, I have a few questions about lowpoly work for an android racing game using unity. I know that I need to keep the polycount under 7000 on screen, but does that mean the whole scene or just what is visible at that point on the screen? Also, I will be modeling a few lowpoly firetrucks and ambulances (just to populate the area)out of basic boxes. I was wondering if I should try to keep all of the assets on one large texture sheet, maybe 512x512, instead of making each asset have a separate 64x64 texture. If you wanna help me out, please send me a pm and i will give you my msn/skype/steam so we can chat later in the future aswell :) Thanks Guys!
  • DrDean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could have optimized the handle a bit more, but I wanted to do a real quick experiment using nDo to make the bump maps.

cabinet.png

vZaRdx.png
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Bump maps you say? Wrong thread man...!
  • FreshDumbledore

not reallly. A friend and I made a graphicsdemo for the iPhone using normalmapping and it worked nice.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, the funny thing is, an Initial D touge style mountain racer was the initial concept.

I love Initial D, and it was JUST going to be racing on Japanese mountains passes, classic Hachi Roku Vs FC races etc.

Then I decided to give it some variety and my love for Ridge Racer took over in the first track, and ended up doing 3 tracks in 1 RR style, like beach, overpasses and mountains.

Drayton, it'll actually be free to play online, and as soon as the Flash version ships I'll be releasing an AIR version on Android :)

I'm not sure what the best tactic is for the Android store, possibly releasing a free demo and then charging a dollar for the full game?

Here's a shot of the 3rd track by the way.

ngt_screen_01.jpg
  • shaka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shaka polycounter lvl 7
    not reallly. A friend and I made a graphicsdemo for the iPhone using normalmapping and it worked nice.

Agreed. Mobile platforms are evolving, and this thread should too. I can't show most of my latest work here because i passed the 1000 tris limit. Now i'm working on a racing game that runs on iphone 3Gs, iphone 4, android and even the slow ipad. And moost of the car models are around 900 to 1200 tris.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Read first page of this thread, no normal mapped stuff. This isn't because it doesn't run on mobile devices, its to keep this thread apart from WAYWO. A 100 triangle floor plane could be next gen or mobile only textures tell them apart, but by restricting this thread it keeps every more... "old school" for people to enjoy. Atleast thats how i see things. :)

@ Rumble, the scenery looks great, good night time city mood. Car looks massive though, i assume its flying through the air in that screen? or is it some kind of giant car level :p?

Caveman for New Iphone game im working on, will be showing more assets for this soon (the first stage and some more beasties).
    Slightly WIP still (arms mainly) 392 tri's 256x256
    Caveman-TT---Hatcher.gif
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeling%20Rennin.jpg
    I'm gonna have a slight hardtime modeling my character's anime hair now. And later will do a mitten-hand, for a low-poly anime-themed interactive soap opera.
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Giles, haha, I was going to post that but I forgot, indeed it's in mid air :)
  • laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11

not the point, although its abit far away, the 1st post clearly stated "nothing but diffuse map"
  • Beazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen wrote: »
    not the point, although its abit far away, the 1st post clearly stated "nothing but diffuse map"

Not really far away.. PSP Vita I believe supports normal maps and I aint too sure but I think is has limited parallax mapping.

EDIT: Oops I now see you were referencing the front page not the generation of handheld. Sorry!

I read from official unreal documentation that Infinity Blade chars were 8k polys (said polys not triangles) crazy stuff. I did a little project at Uni based on normal maps for the iPhone before the Vita was announced. I kept the characters to a 1,000 triangle limit with 256 x 256 dif,norm,spec.

Anyway old school is awesome and I personally love it. I agree that it shouldn't be part of this thread and rules are rules. There will be probably be a new thread made for handheld with normal maps. Flash is integrating 3D so that will be awesome.

Anywho.

@giles Looks cool, nice and stylised. I suggest trying a sharpened version of the texture see what that looks like. Legs make him look a bit tripoddy at the moment doesn't look like he is able to walk.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    @rumblesushi What method are you using to make the tracks?
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko, just starting off with line and sweep for the basic path and shape, then adding all background objects etc.
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any tip on modeling the spiky hair, as illustrated on the background?
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Hatsya wrote: »
    Any tip on modeling the spiky hair, as illustrated on the background?

You could try making each hair spike a polygon strip of the final shape of the hair, somewhat like this. Be sure to check out the hair techique section of the Polycount Wiki.

Hey guys, I have a few questions about lowpoly work for an android racing game using unity. I know that I need to keep the polycount under 7000 on screen, but does that mean the whole scene or just what is visible at that point on the screen? Also, I will be modeling a few lowpoly firetrucks and ambulances (just to populate the area)out of basic boxes. I was wondering if I should try to keep all of the assets on one large texture sheet, maybe 512x512, instead of making each asset have a separate 64x64 texture. If you wanna help me out, please send me a pm and i will give you my msn/skype/steam so we can chat later in the future aswell :) Thanks Guys!

OK, I wanted to say something before but I was waiting for someone with more industry experience to chime in cause I haven't got much industry time, but no one came so I'll say it anyway, just make sure to take everything I say here with a grain of salt. If I'm wrong, someone please correct as I'd love to learn more about this as well.

If I'm not wrong, that poly budget will account for everything that's on camera. If an object is not seen at all, I don't think it counts, but if it IS shown, all polys count, even occluded faces.

As for the other question, I think it's a lot better to keep them under the same texture. Try to make it one material as well. Each different material is a new draw call (in this case I don't think it matters cause even while sharing textures and materials each car would be a different game object and a new draw call anyway) and different textures require more texture fetches by the GPU.
  • Toshiba-3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toshiba-3 polycounter lvl 15
    cj2awip4.png

This model is intended for Carmageddon 1 (I'll have to add a driver when I'll put it ingame). The challenge was to use a single 128*64 texture. The polycount is rather high for two reasons: to compensate the use of a single low size texture and also because C1 can be played at higher resolutions nowadays and I didn't want the model to look like paper. I'm not sure the final result is top notch considering the challenge but it was a good exercise for me :)
    Inspired by this btw.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    wow, the chrome stuff looks great!
    nice model :]
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Nice! I don't quite get the red headlights though. If anything I think you should at least run the diagonal reflexion parallel, IMHO it looks kinda weird mirrored like that (unless it's not supposed to represent any sort of reflexion of course).
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    awesome Toshiba-3 , the texture looks much higher-res then it actually is.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love that toshiba, nice texture work indeed.

Playing around with my doods silly caveman run:

cavemanrun.gif

Edit, die animation:

cavemandie.gif
  • drelectro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    drelectro polycounter lvl 8
    i like the run animation. but i suggest making the death animation a little bit faster and give the feet a little variety..
  • oladitan
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oladitan wrote: »
    a robot i was working on

character_1-1.gif

c1dif512.png
    At first I thought that's Shaider due to its colors, and how the head was drawn.
    shaider3-l.jpg
    Until I saw the drill, and glowing lights in spite of cartoonish texturing.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that thing looks like it uses aloottt of tri's. Also your UV unwrapping and use of texture space needs alot of revision
  • RockeTTime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my first lowpoly character, is this passable? im worried abou that mess i've made on the belly but i don't think it would matter would it? i will texture after i can nail the modeling part, what do you guys think?
    he's about 200 triangles

79865147.jpg[/URL]
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    at the moment his legs cant bend, his waist cant bend and his arms cant bend. Add some loops in for the knees, spine and elbows.
  • oladitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oladitan polycounter lvl 8
    that thing looks like it uses aloottt of tri's. Also your UV unwrapping and use of texture space needs alot of revision

yea over 8000. ill work on my uv's thanks.
  • oladitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Subd model?

i have a sub surf modifier on it.
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @RocketTime :: how would your character move, with his arms in bird wing position?
  • MrNoOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNoOne polycounter lvl 7
    @Oladitan: Thats too many polies for this thread... this is the LOW poly thread, 1000 triangles or less.
  • oladitan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNoOne wrote: »
    @Oladitan: Thats too many polies for this thread... this is the LOW poly thread, 1000 triangles or less.

oops. thanks
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *spots multi penis shapes*
    fun character though :p
  • paradise.engineering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paradise.engineering polycounter lvl 11
    *spots multi penis shapes*
    fun character though :p
    haha.. a really crazy design, very warm and goofy texture
    btw giles, love your short caveman
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon

why that? haven't you seen those sweet unreal 3 or unity mobile/iOS/Android games with normal maps?!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante wrote: »
    why that? haven't you seen those sweet unreal 3 or unity mobile/iOS/Android games with normal maps?!

This has already been discussed, i am talking about this thread and its rules, not the current tech available to mobile devices.
  • Rapante
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rapante polygon
    This has already been discussed, i am talking about this thread and its rules, not the current tech available to mobile devices.

I know that this has been discussed, and I still differ a bit about the perspective. my point is this thread evolves with technology, even though slower than the actual available tech does.

I am well aware about the rules, specifically
    (no next-gen / normal mapped items)

BUT, I think the fact that the rules also state the "lead" target plattforms
    Desired target formats are, but not limited to:
    • PSP
    • DS
    • Papervision
    • iPhone
    • iPad

should also provide the necessary playground to be able to use what the technology offers. Don't get me wrong, I am still a die-hard pixelartist that values his 8bit colour palette, but if there are restrictions imposed that just don't make any sense (other than keeping the stuff posted within a certain art style), it has either to be mentioned in the title more than it is now, or being outsourced into a more specific thread than this general outlet...

just my two cents. but that's it for now, rules are rules, so yes he technically shouldn't have posted, although if he'd been semantically correct and just used bump maps as claimed, not normal maps like he did, he'd be fine, because there is no word about it in the rules ;)

but now let the show continue and post some serious shit people! :poly142::)
  • Vegas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vegas polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, I'd love to call this guy finished. Time to put him away I think.
    ElDiabloWIP02.jpg
    Keep up the choice work guys.
  • RockeTTime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugaaa.jpg

@hatsya @gilesruscoe i added some more loops and i guess it can move now,i even made some tests but my skinning skills are still kinda poor

i also made a simple texture since my focus was make my first lowpoly char i didn't spend too much time on it, but now i have a scene in mind to put him in, its 204 triangles now but i've got the feeling that i could have put much more detail with that polygon count.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Vegas, I love your Luchador! I especially love your skin tones, how do you choose your color palette when painting your textures? It turned out really nicely.

Images Removed! CRAP NDA!

Who Likes Watermelon?!?!?

(Ick .. I ... I hate watermelon ..)

Images Removed! CRAP NDA!
    Inspirations:

71156_2367574090_1147338_n.jpg

critters3.jpg
  • RockeTTime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria wrote: »
    Vegas, I love your Luchador! I especially love your skin tones, how do you choose your color palette when painting your textures? It turned out really nicely.

LAWWWWLLL.jpg

Who Likes Watermelon?!?!?

(Ick .. I ... I hate watermelon ..)

Teeth+Rotate.jpg

NonTeeth+Rotate.jpg

Inspirations:

71156_2367574090_1147338_n.jpg

critters3.jpg

damn, thats one awesome watermelon
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    people asked for this ages ago. Finally got to spend the little time required to finish it off

albiepit.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    @RockeTTime maybe it's not entirely necessary to quote a whole post underneath it.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Yeahhhhhhhh >.>

and sorry Hawken if my original post was TOO image heavy
  • Hatsya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rennin%20UV%20wip.jpg
    rennin%20UV%20wip%202.jpg

My 382-vert low-poly anime character in the works, being challenged by a 128x128 texture size, since I plan to make it a PSP/Laptop-friendly character for a game :)
  • edoran89
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're awesome, reminds me of MediEvil.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Part of a stage for current iphone project
    stage.jpg

Edit:
    Also finished up another one of the characters for it, yes... dragons do wear mascara...:
    motherdragontt2.gif
    Motherdragonfly.gif
    Motherdragonrun.gif
  • Beazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Vegas Awesome character. Did you do a high poly version and bake an AO, or simply hand paint the shadows?. Either way it looks spot on.

@Harry Love the use of alphas and the effective use of UV space. Is the tachometer going to have a dial texture on it?

@Giles Solid dragon man! The bird nest looks a bit out of style to the rest though.