Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimbodan wrote: »
    FQka5.png

Umbrella-Based Revolver Thing (witty name pending)

Has a clip size of only one, but if you jump while falling the umbrella will deploy, slowing your descent and ensuring you take no fall damage.

It's a great idea IMO... but the deploying thing might take Valve a bit of time to implement and that could be an issue for them.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Alright, I'm calling for help. So I've decided to tackle a pyro, towel head wrap, but I need major help.
    How would you suggest I make this?
    towel_wrap.png

This is what I've got, but I'm not very pleased with the result.
    towel_head.jpg
  • roninsmastermix
    BenHenry wrote: »
    Alright, I'm calling for help. So I've decided to tackle a pyro, towel head wrap, but I need major help.
    How would you suggest I make this?
    towel_wrap.png

This is what I've got, but I'm not very pleased with the result.
    towel_head.jpg

i dont know what you're saying it looks good here on my end.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BenHenry - that's a cool but complicated model, I'd suggest working on pieces of it as different models and then merge them together later.

@roninsmastermix - Looks good, is the white part going to be paintable?
  • roninsmastermix
    JZeeba wrote: »
    @BenHenry - that's a cool but complicated model, I'd suggest working on pieces of it as different models and then merge them together later.

@roninsmastermix - Looks good, is the white part going to be paintable?

Totally. i should have some in-game shots in a few hours.

Comes with styles too:
    policehelmheavystyle2_by_rave8259-d3ijyjm.jpg
  • Grand-O-Rand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally. i should have some in-game shots in a few hours.

Comes with styles too:
    policehelmheavystyle2_by_rave8259-d3ijyjm.jpg

There are no longer "милиция" in Russia. We have a police ("полиция") since March 1, 2011. Just for reference.
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonder what they had in 1960 though.
    firehelmet.png
    visordown.png

Constructive criticism would be highly appreciated.
  • Grimbodan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZeeba wrote: »
    It's a great idea IMO... but the deploying thing might take Valve a bit of time to implement and that could be an issue for them.

Yeah, this wouldn't be a cut n' paste implementation like a lot of the submissions to date so my chances are pretty slim. For the most part it could use the same animations as the regular revolver, but a new gameplay mechanic and falling animation would have to be implemented. Either way, if anyone wants to help me model it we can give it the ol' college try.
  • Thrillho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've got the Blu team texture done and specular map, but I still need to make it paintable... My google-fu has failed me on that subject, so if anyone knows a decent tutorial for making the paint layer, I'd highly appreciate it.

boatergroupshot2.jpg
  • APant1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! I've been playing TF2 for about six months, but I've always been fascinated at the process of making games. After seeing all the community-contributed items in the game, I decided to start learning 3D modeling this summer. My first piece is a Misc item for the Scout. It's The Scout's Honor, a Boy Scout-style merit badge sash attached to his shirt with safety pins. Let me preface this with the fact that I have been modeling for only two weeks. I'd love criticism, but keep in mind you might have to explain things in greater detail.
    photo.php?fbid=1718462370103&set=a.1695600798578.2084643.1494581533&type=1&theaterscoutrenderhires.jpg

scoutrenderhires2.jpg

My original idea was that it would replace his backpack. I didn't know if I would have to modify every animation file to make that work, hence the pins.

Here are a few problems I've encountered so far:
    I have not yet been able to put a model I've made in TF2. I've used this tutorial successfully right up until I have to Compile with GUI Studio MDL. I get a variety of errors that I tried to fix using the magic of Google, but to no luck. I'd love if someone could walk we through the process

Looking at it, I don't the pins are really big enough to be easily visible. That should be an easy fix.

There are no jigglebones in the item, so when I put it in the game, it will have laughable clipping issues since it won't deform to his body as he's running. I'm OK with this for now, I'll learn how to do that later.

I know a real Boy Scout sash runs the other way, If I find an easy way, I might flip it, but I'm OK with the orientation, so he doesn't have an X running across his chest

If I eventually want to get this into the game, I would have to alter it in such a way that the BSA doesn't scream copyright infringement, but that's thinking way too ahead

Also regarding the item in actual use, it probably messes up with Valve's philosophy of easy identification of a class through distinctive torso design, but I'll see if that's a problem when I put it in the game.

Again, I'd love criticism and help. It would be fantastic if I could delve deeper into the world of modeling.
  • Dashtoronto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FQka5.png
    QyTx3.png

Has a clip size of only one, but if you jump while falling the umbrella will deploy, slowing your descent and ensuring you take no fall damage.

I take it you never met this guy:

The_Penguin_2.png

penguin.jpg

devito.jpg
  • Tehrasha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tehrasha polycounter lvl 11
    QyTx3.png

Love the idea.

Provocateur's Parasol ?
  • roninsmastermix
    policehelmheavysample5_by_rave8259-d3ilcav.jpg

Pretty much done with this thing. The strap is jiggleboned. The white part is paintable. Debating whether to put a badge on top or not. Also looking for a good name for the hat. Suggestions?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like the type of helmet the horse mounted cops wear here.

The dismounted patrol helmet?
  • crazy-g
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a two month break from TF2, I noticed a few days ago that my Festivizer had spontaneously broken itself and appears white most of the time. A look into the .vmt revealed some paint commands are present even though it is not paintable, not to mention the commands were incomplete. Taking all paint related commands out of the .vmt returned to colors to normal and restored the glowing lights, so I submitted the fixed files. Now Valve just needs to implement it, though I'm sure the priority is low to fix a Christmas hat due to it being June and all.

brokelightsfix.jpg

I'm also working on a hockey helmet for the Scout and Heavy:
    The helmet will be nearly the same for both classes, but I am going to add different hair styles (hockey mullet) for the two classes to differentiate them a little bit. The helmets will also be removable to reveal just the hair and possibly a sweatband.
    scouthockeyhelmet.jpg

Hair started
    scouthockeyhairviewport.jpg
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tyAfu.png
    Gonna get Blaholtzen to texture it later on.
  • roninsmastermix
    uberbustermedicsample1_by_rave8259-d3imc3r.jpg

Texturing the Uberbuster Medic by Jzeeba. Some blending on the temples and some more refinements on the shadows. Still a working process.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Recurracy wrote: »
    Wonder what they had in 1960 though.
    firehelmet.png
    visordown.png

Constructive criticism would be highly appreciated.

I think that helmet could look better if some smoothing groups were added to create some hard edges :)
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2l9l1ls.jpg
    Spook's Spectacles have now been submitted. Fully working, fully compiled and fully paintable. The styles, unfortunately, couldn't make it due to the lenses using a custom shader (courtesy of Passerby, who is a bloody life-saver) to allow specularity, transparency and painting.

I may be able to organise an optional skin for anyone who wants to replace a Spy misc with these. But for now, I'm going to start planning out my next project.

Thanks for the support and feedback, guys!
  • roninsmastermix
    Update on the hair:
    uberbustermedicsample2_by_rave8259-d3imj0d.jpg

Comments?
  • D-D-D-Demon!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone stop making such cool things, I don't need more reasons to stop procrastinating on my Hermes sandals.

I'm really digging that Egon hair. I was planning on doing his hair from the movie, but after seeing the cartoon version rendered in TF2, I'm not so sure.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ao.jpg
    wireframe.jpg

Pretty happy with this new version. Any C&C are welcome. So far I'm on 4475 tris. Fewer then last version which was around 5k tris
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First concept for the sniper rifle I want to work on for a Sniper pack:

concept1f.jpg
    silhouettel.jpg

The pack would be based off old WWII era weapons that have been dragged into a more modern war. Thinking perhaps he inherited them from his father/grandfather who was in the army or something.

Rifle is based off the Lee Enfield rifle that Australian soldiers used back in WWII.
  • Zipfinator
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »

Um... thats an arabian rifle, very different design. Besides, mine is only in first concept, if you think theres too much similarity it can be changed pretty easily. but the Bazaar Bargain looks more like a Jazeal rifle

0535.jpg

Whereas I'm basing mine off a Lee Enfield:

no1mk310.jpg

Although I do see what you mean with the lazer sight and it's position as well as the look of the main barrel, but as mine is just a concept it can change.
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @roninsmastermix - love the "Puck da Poolice" one. And the Egon hair is looking very good!

@Grimbodan - sent u a PM :)
  • roninsmastermix
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    ao.jpg
    wireframe.jpg

Pretty happy with this new version. Any C&C are welcome. So far I'm on 4475 tris. Fewer then last version which was around 5k tris

looking awesome. I love this version more. Im a bit worried with the cover looking too much like the box. I'd prefer a square ring to put a strap on it but otherwise fantastic work
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Quick question: Is there any way to remove the sniper's sunglasses like how hats and other default items are removable for some classes?
  • Mad Mike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MattQ86: No, but there's a glassless skin right here. It did the trick for me.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Masich, I guess the base gun is different enough. The long barrel and the dangling wire leading to the laser pointer look way too similar though.
  • Sexy Robot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy Robot polycounter lvl 8
    041e7d4103e6d55745008b8655da4ef7.png

b9f438bd54af6f77890aa3c2d9dffea7.png

Old gem, new texture.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Masich, I guess the base gun is different enough. The long barrel and the dangling wire leading to the laser pointer look way too similar though.

Really? Well, that can be changed quite easily, but so far you're the only person to mention it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    @Zipfinator the dangling wire is the only similarity i see since the long barrel is a trait of any sniper rifle.
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking awesome. I love this version more. Im a bit worried with the cover looking too much like the box. I'd prefer a square ring to put a strap on it but otherwise fantastic work

Its supposed to be like the black boxes cover, or did you mean it doesn't fit the opening? Or have I completely misunderstood you?

Some detailing:

ao2-1.jpg
  • Colonel88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I haven't really been doing anything lately, since school year is almost over. I thought I'd try making a hat, and it's turning out to be harder than it seems :(. Lots of individual polygon positioning, unlike a weapon where it's mostly symmetrical. I watched Batman Forever a week ago, and I noticed the goggles that Robin wears. I thought, that would be a good idea for a Scout hat, but that new promotion beat me to it. Anyways... here is my attempt.

Picture_2.jpgPicture_1.jpgPicture_3.jpg

I guess its allright, at least in my opinion. Nowhere as good as your guys' but not bad for someone who learned this by myself. Any crits, should I scrap it, or try it out in TF2?
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    ao.jpg
    wireframe.jpg

This looks great but one thing I don't understand is how you have n-gons on the circle part of the lid, the front of the scope, the sides of the trigger and so on. How are you getting away with that? Or am I missing something?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Sukotto wrote: »
    This looks great but one thing I don't understand is how you have n-gons on the circle part of the lid, the front of the scope, the sides of the trigger and so on. How are you getting away with that? Or am I missing something?

It will automatically triangulate when put into Source. Most if not all engines do that. It just might be a bit sloppy so it's better to do it by hand most of the time.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sukotto the smd export cuts it into tris, still is a bit of a bad habit since ngons dont always get cut in a predictable manner, so it could result in shading errors or just more edges than needed.
  • roninsmastermix
    sample.jpg
    Textures by me and model by Jzeeba.

HLMV and in-game shots. Not really fond of how the scalp looks in game. The head and hair must have drastically different vmt stats. Or if all else becomes annoying i'll just remove the scalp layer altogether. Suggestions?
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    6sf6ub.jpg

Slowly taking shape. Still needs a lot of work. The idea was that the sniper used it to blend in while hunting.
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should use geometry to make some sticks/twigs and use some alpha planes for twigs and leaves. Also, the bird should be white/gray to match the in-game birds.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Absolutely. I'll experiment with trigs and leaves. As for the bird, I had no idea there were birds in TF2...I just looked them up and what the hell, I've never seen them at all and I've played a lot of TF2. http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Birds - Guess I'll have to look into it more. Perhaps it'd be clever to remodel the bird to match that model. Thanks for sharing that info with me.
  • Cbast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cbast triangle
    Its supposed to be like the black boxes cover, or did you mean it doesn't fit the opening? Or have I completely misunderstood you?

Some detailing:

ao2-1.jpg

I really like this. It fits TF2 really well and make the Flare Gun look less like a toy. I can't wait to see it textured.

Anyway, I think I'm pretty much done with the team color of my Flare Gun skin.

75a6490872b29b678404e9e5af7aa.jpg
  • JZeeba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cbast - I like that weapon, but the colors look a bit over saturated IMO.

@Habboi - I like the idea, but it feels as if it's going to fall off the head any moment... maybe you can try adding some leaves/twigs/hay underneath to see how it looks
  • GG_Underscore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am going to try to get some renders in game soon - but may i present you the Medic M.D. (motorcycle doctor) kit.

1st here is the three options for the second opinion (hence the name, because i need one). the one i like the most is the one with the inner changeable barrels, but fear it may be a bit over powered. this is why i did the 2 others.

i would like the white part of the the motorcrit medi gun to be paintable - takes 10% longer to gain uber, but when uber is used medic and target move 50% faster

nothing really to comment on the compound fracture, simple and painful. no crits, causes bleed out

same with the brain pan, but playing with styles.

any input will be appreciated.
    enjoy.
    MD_medic_pack.jpg
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working on the new set for the solly, sofar i olny got the melee blocked out.

saber01.jpg

saber02.jpg

right now I'm coming in at 2678 verts un-optmized.

once i get this somewhat polished im going to start on a shotgun from the same time period.

im still trying to figure out a good way to place the sheath so it doesn't clip the left pack, and i want to keep the pack because the silhouette looks unbalanced without it.

some C&C's would be pretty great.
  • bestlame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bestlame polycounter lvl 8
    Hi all, created a Shark Hat for Solly.
    screenshot-1.jpg

Hope you like it =)
  • roninsmastermix
    stahlhelmmedicsample1.jpg

Multi-class Stahlhelm with Goggles for Medic, Heavy and Demoman. Styles 1 and 2 right now. Texturing right now.
  • Masich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bestlame wrote: »
    Hi all, created a Shark Hat for Solly.
    screenshot-1.jpg

sharkscreenshot1.jpg

Hope you like it =)

Shading doesn't seem to fit, but apart from that it looks pretty good.
  • Recurracy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good, true, but I also think the texture looks w