Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

props and scenes

Hey all,
I have to say the quality of work and critiques here on polycount are inspiring to say the least. I thought I would finally post some of my work in hopes that you guys could help me crank my skill level up....preferably up to 11 ;] Thanks a ton in advance.

Ok so heres the deal, I have a bunch of urban props that have been sitting around on my hard drive for a bit. I decided instead of letting them rot away I could fix them up and throw them into a little scene. I know this is kind of a backwards way to work as I should prob have a block-in to be working with. But that will be my next step before I push anymore props.

I'm thinking it will be a city liquor store with apartments on the top floors of the building. Simple little curb out front very similar to something like the scene Jason Lavoie has on his site.

Link so you can see what I mean: Jason's city building

So here are the props I have worked a bit on so far:
door.png
payphone.png
liquor_sign.png
air_conditioner.png
props_01.png

Next steps:
-find some good reference for the kind of building I am going for
-block out the building and scene
-bring into UDK and light
-start on the tiling textures for the building
-create any other props needed to fill the space
-call it a day

please don't hesitate to let me know if something looks off, could use some work, etc. I really want to get better and I am eager to incorporate your critiques.

thanks again!

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I think both your low poly and high polys look very clean, and your texturing kicks ass :) will be keeping an eye on this thread to see where your building goes
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan: thanks! I appreciate it.

I spent a little time tonight designing the building. I found a building in Harlem I like a lot and drew from it heavily. So the general idea I'm shooting for is the Frakensteined one on the left. Pretty simple, I will have to create a few new pieces, but it should come together quickly.

ref_board.png
  • ludic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ludic polycounter lvl 13
    me likey, looking forward for the whole scene
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I am really impressed by the fan, the normal map bake came out really well combined with the diffuse making it truly look like it's still there, that sir is awesome.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Great looking models, they look very clean and the texture work is selling them well. look forward to seeing the scene built for these props.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice stuff man!
  • tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Great texturing, love it!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff, I love that door.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the compliments. Was wondering, anyone know a good place to get a good character reference for udk scale? I'm hoping to throw him in my scene to get things looking right.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Really awesome texturing man! You mind if I ask how you achieved that translucent feel to the glass on the door? I always have issues making glass look really nice. Did you use an opacity? or is it just faked through the diffuse and spec? Would love to see the maps :D
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jeremiah, that juke box of yours looks really nice! Here are the texture sheets for the door for ya.

For the glass, it came down to working the spec a bit. I went with a solid off-white color and overlayed a bit of grunge on top to give the illusion of dirt. Hope that helps.

store_door_textures.png
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had some time to make a quick block-in for myself using my frankensteined building concept. I loaded it in maya and started cutting away to make the basic shapes for all the new pieces that need to be created. The building textures are all placeholders, but having them on gives a rough sense of how things might look in the end. Next step for me is to head in to udk to get this into a scene and lit. Then it is on to making some of new assets.

block_in_small.png
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent a little time getting the texture sheets together for a few of the finished props. Now it's back to getting everything assembled in udk.

air_conditioner_textures.png
    liquor_sign_textures.png
    payphone_textures.png

Hope everyone is having a nice Friday!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    It's coming out pretty nice so far.

Can't wait to see it textured and in UDK.

Also you have the best last name ever.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    really liking the payphone
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    Really nice work.

i think the UDK scale is half life size. so a 6" man would be about 92cm in Maya.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeffro: lol, thanks man.

P442: Thanks, I appreciate it! They don't seem to be doing too much damage, but I think I might need to go back and fix my normals when I'm polishing things up.

tharle: thanks! alright cool, I will do a bit of research, I haven't found a character ref I can import into my scene just yet, but I havn't looked too hard.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skayne: thanks!

Ok, so I got it in to UDK and did 2 quick lighting setups. I don't have too much experience making interesting lighting and would really appreciate any feedback you guys could throw my way.

For the day version I set the lightmass env color to a light blue and used a fairly-bright, light yellow/orange dominant directional light.

for the night version, I set the env color to a dark blue and I placed a light blue dom directional light, with a little light coming from within the stair well for a little extra flavor and shadows. I will probably light some of the windows up with emissive's.

lighting_test_01.png

sorry for the nasty black bg, any way to change the realtime viewport color in UDK?
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    sorry for the nasty black bg, any way to change the realtime viewport color in UDK?
    I just used to make an flipped faces box that was really big and placed object inside of it :)
  • Daniel Doerksen
    the way i like to do it is add fog, play with the settings a bit raise it up and you get a nice gradient for background
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    door.png

I love this, really great texturing, you've really done a great job of it.
    Im stunned!
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    WOW, This looks awesome, i love it! Also love the texture of the ^Door! Great Job!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon and Daniel: Thanks for the tricks, both seem like perfect ways to make it look more presentable. I ended up going with Daniel's method, as it was super quick to drop in and edit.

scotthomer and MiAIx: Thanks guys!

So this weekend I have been itching to get back to this scene, but my twin 9 year old cousins were visiting. So things have been pretty busy over here, haha.

Anyway, I wanted to spend some time to explore the night lighting setup again. I want it to feel like a full moon is blasting down on the building, but I'm thinking it may be a tad too bright still.

Any tips for good night lighting?

lighting_test_02.png
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13

liquor_sign.png

Hey MrTurtlepast,

first of all, great props. Really well made.

If its not too much to ask, I was wondering if you could give some insight into how you went about making your text, more specifically the highpoly models.

I'm trying to make some currently, and I keep running into problems.

• mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Brandoom, thanks man, much appreciated.

I sure there are probably easier ways of create text, but this is what worked for me. I found a reference for the letters and threw that in Maya as an image plane. From there I traced out the letters with the create polygon tool. This way I could get the exact shape I wanted, but it required a bit of cleanup afterwards to get loops where I needed them.

I'm sure some people might cringe at my solution, lol, but it worked for me. Hope that helps!

scene update: I have been stupidly busy with other projects, but will prob be cranking away again tomorrow. Hopefully I will have something to show soon.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the speedy reply.

That defiantly helps me out. I'll probably give that a try, hopefully it works for me as well as it worked for you.

Thanks again :)
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice work, your textures are great! That door has a lot of character. Can't wait for your completed project!
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Diggin the updates on the textures! How did you go about the background gradient? I just started using UDK, and am wondering how you add the fog/edit it.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan: thank you sir, gotta say your portfolio work is really awesome.

jordan.kocon: no prob! In UDK go to the actor-classes tab in your content manager.
    Expand fog --> highlight height fog -> right click in your viewport and click "add height fog here"

Then from there if you highlight it and hit F4 you will have all sorts of properties to play with. All I did was play with the "light color" option and the "density" Hope that helps. Also for more you could always check out the documentation here : http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/HeightFog.html

good luck!
  • Andrew Mackie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the way you texture, great stuff.
    I feel like this scene has a Blade Runner feel to it.
    Keep up the good work.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Looking really good, so far. Great texturing on the door. I do feel like the building may be a little shallow (doesn't seem to go very far back - have much interior floor space).
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really nice Dr Turtle, looking forward to the main building completion. Maybe even extend the set a tiny bit for a back area?
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew: thanks for the kind words.

8FtSpider: thanks, yeah I see what you mean, I might play around with the depth a bit. Thanks for pointing it out.

Mr Bear: much appreciated, yeah not too sure at this point how far I want to extend the scene, but that is definitely an option, thanks for the idea.

ok so, I decided to go in and sketch up what I want the facade pieces to look like. There is definitely room to play around with the details, but at least now I have a little more clarity with the overall shapes and how they might play together in the end.

column_sketches.png

hope to get some 3d posted in here soon.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    figured i'd post a quick update. hp of the column is finished for now, but will come back and do a final pass once i get the other pieces finished up. Trying to keep the shapes pretty simple. critiques are always welcome.

column_hp_01.png