Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• ಠ_ಠ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arc, personally I like the lighter one because it seems to match up with the rest of the "grungy" effects in the texture, though I WOULD like to see what it looks like if you put it in the specular.
  • THD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THD
    I prefer the darker one too. Loving some of the stuff people are working on.
    Made a little progress on mine too;
    Bullpup2.jpg
    The stock still doesn't look right, and I don't want to detail stuff until I've seen it in the engies hands; I reckon the bars are gonna clip.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know almos anything about normal mapping.. if I don't have one to put in the shader... what can I use? a plain purple-ish colour? black? white?.

Davision, what lights setup did you use?
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do it on spec and diffuse, think I prefer the darker one.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    searching the web I found this:
    http://developer.nvidia.com/object/photoshop_dds_plugins.html
    I don't know if you already knew about this, but it seems a nice plugin
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    I don't know almos anything about normal mapping.. if I don't have one to put in the shader... what can I use? a plain purple-ish colour? black? white?.

Davision, what lights setup did you use?
    plain normal map color is: R:128 G:128 B:255
    It works only with 1 light, most of the lighting look comes through the ramp texture and fresnel in the shader.
  • Arcaltarion
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow, that is absolutely beautiful, Valve better put this in-game or I am going to have a serious discussion with Mr. Walker.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a question, because i'm very bad at seeing this stuff. do you see them carved or bumped? I think I made it carved and it indeed looks carved, but my eyes betray me often with this kind of BS
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say it definitely looks carved like the ambassador

Oh and have you started thinking of names :P?

First thing that popped into my head was "Golddigger" something, eh I'm no good with names :P
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Top left looks bumped, bottom right looks carved. It's all a trick of the eye and I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Terzalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terzalo polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys!
    Just want to show my first hat (not finished yet)
    I'm not going to submit it, just some practise :)
    hat1.jpg
    hat2.jpg
    wireframe.jpg
    heavy.jpg

It's a cap that was part of uniform of Soviet militia (police) in the middle of last century.

Got some questions:
    • I can't switch to second (blue) skin in modelviewer, but everything's ok in game. What's wrong with mviewer?
    • I realised that star should be like on the image below, not flat. How can I protect my unwrap from resetting when I'll collapse verticles on star? Really don't want to reunwrap everything :) (I'm using 3ds Max)
    • star.jpg
    I also wanted to make shoulder straps like these, but ammunition on his right shoulder got in the way :)
    pogony.jpg

Waiting for your suggestions!

PS. While reading this thread, I found this Swizzle's cap and it's sooo much more beautiful than mine ^^
  • UNCCheezy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UNCCheezy polycounter lvl 10
    How do you guys deal with the hats that need to original headgear taken off?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you open the character in the model viewer you can swap between the headgear and headgear-less submodels

if you just want to use the headgear-less model as reference for modeling, just delete the hat
  • ಠ_ಠ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a gentlman wrote: »
    I would say it definitely looks carved like the ambassador

Oh and have you started thinking of names :P?

First thing that popped into my head was "Golddigger" something, eh I'm no good with names :P

Goldfinger?
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RoqueDemon polycounter lvl 6
    Arcaltarion that hand is looking very good O.o and I see carved by the way.

Now I need a little help

I don't know if any of you saw my previous post (if you haven't you can check it here)

Im trying to decide between having the ring at the end or not...
    which one do you prefer?

topview2.jpg
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I pretty much only signed up to participate in the old contest but since everyone has been hyping this thread to me lately, here's some of my crap!

sundial.png
    sundial2.png

original, the only thing that i can say... IT'S SO DAMN ORIGINAL THAT I'M GOING TO FAP WATCHING THIS PIC :3.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I really like that watch but I hate the texturing on the band. It makes it look like it's concrete or marble or some other silly thing. I think it'd look better textured like a rough leather or some type of metal.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Vig wrote: »
    In Render To Texture (0), under output, add a Ambient Occlusion(MR) map like you would a normal, diffuse, or height map and render like you would a normal map.
    RTTAO.jpg

Cheers Vig, much cleaner/clearer method thank you!
  • Gobywan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I really like that watch but I hate the texturing on the band. It makes it look like it's concrete or marble or some other silly thing. I think it'd look better textured like a rough leather or some type of metal.

I think it's meant to look like stone, given the whole sundial thing, but I agree that it's too noisy and rough for the TF2 style - a smoother and less detailed stone would fit better and also avoid drawing attention away from the awesome sundial in the middle :)
  • NeoDement
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terzalo wrote: »
    Hi guys!

wireframe.jpg

It's a cap that was part of uniform of Soviet militia (police) in the middle of last century.

Got some questions:
    • I can't switch to second (blue) skin in modelviewer, but everything's ok in game. What's wrong with mviewer?
    • I realised that star should be like on the image below, not flat. How can I protect my unwrap from resetting when I'll collapse verticles on star? Really don't want to reunwrap everything :) (I'm using 3ds Max)
    I also wanted to make shoulder straps like these, but ammunition on his right shoulder got in the way :)

Waiting for your suggestions!

PS. While reading this thread, I found this Swizzle's cap and it's sooo much more beautiful than mine ^^
    The wireframe error that you pointed at is just the inside of your hat showing through, nothing to worry about.

You have to load the hat without the character to change it's skin. If it still doesn't work hit File > Unload Weapon and try again.
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I think I'm ready to submit my model to Valve now.

koth_nucleus0010.jpg
    koth_nucleus0005.jpg

cp_dustbowl0044.jpg
    This last one was an old screenshot, but I don't have any new screenshots in this "First person" mode.

Also, as this is my first time submitting, is this a good format for my submission?

svetlana-model.zip
    -Model Source Files (Contains a .smd and a .obj of the model)
    -Model Compilation Files (Contains the .qc, and rigged model .smds, phys .smd)
    -Model Compiled Files (Contains 3 .vtx, 1 .mdl, 1 .phy, and 1 .vvd file)

svetlana-material.zip
    -Material Source Files (Contains my .psd and .tga files)
    -Material Compiled Files (Contains my .vmt and .vtf files)
  • Cronotic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if this get added to tf2, I'm going to play with the heavy more than i do now
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pulled the trigger. Hope I get a reponse soon.

@Cronotic: Thanks, I appreciate that. It's been a long road till the submission, and I really hope I get to kill some enemies with this gun soon. (If it gets in of course)
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christmas tree hat - 1240 tris (not textured yet)

treehat.png
  • szthesquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blasphemy wrote: »
    Alright, so I think I'm ready to submit my model to Valve now.

koth_nucleus0010.jpg
    koth_nucleus0005.jpg

cp_dustbowl0044.jpg
    This last one was an old screenshot, but I don't have any new screenshots in this "First person" mode.

Also, as this is my first time submitting, is this a good format for my submission?

svetlana-model.zip
    -Model Source Files (Contains a .smd and a .obj of the model)
    -Model Compilation Files (Contains the .qc, and rigged model .smds, phys .smd)
    -Model Compiled Files (Contains 3 .vtx, 1 .mdl, 1 .phy, and 1 .vvd file)

svetlana-material.zip
    -Material Source Files (Contains my .psd and .tga files)
    -Material Compiled Files (Contains my .vmt and .vtf files)

Looks great. Good luck!
  • Bishop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been so long since I've done any TF2 stuff! Infact, I don't think I ever got this question answered, does TF2 deal more with Tris or Quads? If it's Tris, this thing is pulling in at 870.

And in the spirit of winter; as you can see, ear muffs and a pipe - 'Cuz you know all those cliches with old men sitting by the fire and smoking their weed.:smokin:

Don't worry, it won't be this dull and boring once I get textures on...even though I suck at hand painting them. :'( But I really doubt I want to go to the textures this soon. The model just seems too plain! Ideas people?

Progress%201.1.png
    Progress%201.2.png

Edit; I just noticed I screwed up the lighting, it's so dark! o.O
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Working on another scout hat with Blender! This one is a bit more orthodox. This is actually a hat that I have wanted to wear when playing scout for a long time and I finally got around to actually modeling the thing. Reverse hat with custom Headset that attaches by the back of the neck.

Looking for crits on the texture setup. This isn't actually textured right now, I am using Blender scene materials to give myself an idea of what it will look like.

reversegraftwip1.jpg
  • Ruskibuski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys!
    heavy.jpg

If you're not submitting it, you will have to make it an in-game mod. That hat is so fine.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, does anyone know a video or a link that would explain how to work with flex bones (how to add them) and how to test them. I remember there is a source program but i dont know much about it. Please help. Want to finish the bolo tie
  • Terzalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoDement wrote: »
    The wireframe error that you pointed at is just the inside of your hat showing through, nothing to worry about.

You have to load the hat without the character to change it's skin. If it still doesn't work hit File > Unload Weapon and try again.

Now the skin changes, thank you very much! :thumbup:
    Ruskibuski wrote: »
    If you're not submitting it, you will have to make it an in-game mod. That hat is so fine.

Thanks, I'll do this when it's done :)
    I realised that star should be like on the image below, not flat. How can I protect my unwrap from resetting when I'll collapse verticles on star? Really don't want to reunwrap everything :) (I'm using 3ds Max)
    star.jpg

Do you have any ideas? I'll be very grateful if you tell me how to do this :icon15:
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I'm almost finished. The model is good, maybe textures need some more work.

almostx.jpg

capture1o.jpg

does anyone know a video or a link that would explain how to work with flex bones (how to add them) and how to test them. I remember there is a source program but i dont know much about it. Please help. Want to finish the bolo tie

Ow.. and are the overlaps bad ? I saw that there are some and I decided to ask you . Will they any damage ?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm about to compile the golden gunslinger to open it in the viewmodel. As I don't know how to replace submodels I'm going to export it as a hat. Do hat files accept normal and spec maps?

looking in the Ambassador files I discovered:
    "VertexLitGeneric"
    {
        [COLOR=Red]$baseTexture "models/weapons/c_items/c_ambassador_opt.vtf"
        $bumpmap "models\weapons\c_items/c_ambassador_opt_normal"[/COLOR]
        $halflambert 1

//    "$envmap" "models/player/shared/eye-reflection-cubemap-" 
    //    "$envmapcontrast" 1
    //    "$envmaptint" "[1.0 1.0 0.5]"
        "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
    //    "$basealphaenvmapmask" 1 
    //    "$basemapalphaphongmask" 1
        "$phong" "1"
        "$phongexponent" "5"
        "$phongboost" "10"    
        "$lightwarptexture" "models\weapons\c_items/c_ambassador_lightwarp"
        "$phongfresnelranges"    "[.25 .5 1]"
        "$phongwarptexture"  "models\weapons\c_items/c_ambassador_phongwarp"

"$rimlight" "0.5"
        "$rimlightexponent" "2"    
        "$rimlightboost" "0.25"

"360?$color2" "[ 0.9 0.8 0.8 ]"

"$glowcolor" "1"

// Cloaking
        "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
        "Proxies"
        {
            "vm_invis"
            {
            }
            "ModelGlowColor"
            {
                "resultVar" "$glowcolor"
            }
            "Equals"
            {
                "srcVar1"  "$glowcolor"
                "resultVar" "$selfillumtint"
            }
            "Equals"
            {
                "srcVar1"  "$glowcolor"
                "resultVar" "$color2"
            }
        }
    }

diffuse and normal mapping checked, but what the "$" code for the specular is?
    the ambasador also has this two little images

phongwarp
    2ymabth.jpg

lightwarp
    suv7es.jpg
    according to the wiki they have something to do with the lighting effects. Do I need to make my own to get a nice result?

Edit: one last thing. I know that you must add the diffuse VTF in Max before the SMD exporting proccess...does it also needs the spec and the normal maps applied in max?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of course hats can use normal and specular maps. They're models just like every other model in TF2.

The Specular lines are:

"$envmap" "env_cubemap"
    "$envmapcontrast" 1
    "$envmaptint" "[1.0 1.0 0.5]"

Here is the VDC article on the commands if you want to research what they do more.

Also ideally your specular map should be located in the alpha of your normal and you should use the line "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1.

You don't need your own lightwarp and phongwarp files. Just delete those lines from your VMT. If you want you could research them on the VDC and make your own though but it's definitely not necessary.

You do not need your specular or normal applied to your model in max. Also just a correction, you don't need your VTF applied to your model before export. You need ANY image file that has the same name as your final VMT.
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you, two more questions.

how do I locate the spec in the alpha of my normal?
    and if I do that then should my VMT look like this?
    "vertexLitGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "models/player/items/Engineer/Goldfinger_Diff.vtf"
        "$bumpmap" "models/player/items/Engineer/Goldfinger_Normal.vtf"
        "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1. 
    }

• Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It should look like this.
    "vertexLitGeneric"
    {
        "$basetexture" "models/player/items/Engineer/Goldfinger_Diff.vtf"
        "$bumpmap" "models/player/items/Engineer/Goldfinger_Normal.vtf"
        "$envmap" "env_cubemap"[FONT=monospace]
    [/FONT]    "$envmapcontrast" 1[FONT=monospace]
    [/FONT]    "$envmaptint" "[1.0 1.0 0.5]"
        "$normalmapalphaenvmapmask" 1
    }

• Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, I thought that all those "$env..." parameters were optional to refine the look a bit more.

and...all this locating-in-alpha thing... is something I need to do on photoshop or is something the VTFEdit can handle?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know what you mean by that. Just put your specular map in your normal's alpha, save as TGA or PNG, convert to VTF using VTFEdit and it should work as long as your VMT is right.

Of those 3 $envmap commands, $envmap is the only one that's absolutely required but you'll get better results if you mess around with the other two.
  • Terzalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and...all this locating-in-alpha thing... is something I need to do on photoshop or is something the VTFEdit can handle?

I think you ask about these:
    alpha.png

White is absolutely glossy, black is absolutely opaque
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Zip, you are very helpful

another question? can the model viewer handle normals? because I opened my model and when I move the light just the specular reacts. I think it's not my fault because the same thing happens with the ambassador.
    Edit: @terzalo: thanks, I already knew what an alpha are and where they are, I just thought that add it to the normal map was some step with source files, not with photoshop.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have the normal maps box ticked? It should be rendering the same as it would in game.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blasphemy: Looks great, but is it just me or is his left hand a little off?

(Ugh, every time I copy/paste names my post ends up in all-bold, anyway finally got my avatar working..)
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting to think you guys are just ignoring me :\

Anyway, here's the current stage of my project.

I still need to resolve some minor issues on my gun and add some small details but the model won't change much from this (sorry for the huge image)

normalem.jpg

Any ideas on how to improve it?
    Is it any good? :shifty:
    It's currently at 1487 polys
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have no idea what I'm looking at... Did you base that off of a reference or is it just something strange that you designed?
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    I have no idea what I'm looking at... Did you base that off of a reference or is it just something strange that you designed?

My posts got buried under other posts
    They explained everything

check them here and here
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ooookay

mc5f7q.jpg

I think i'm not going anywhere until I can test this with the engie FPVIEW animations. there has to be a way to recompile submodels, I've seen a lot of reskined furry hands for the heavy, I won't fail where they succeeded! but I can't figure it yet...

About what I got.. why is the screen reflecting yellow?
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry Alc, looks like Valve just stole your idea

But seriously, this is AWESOME, and it's a HAT

DOUBLE AWESOME
  • RoqueDemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have tried to replace the gunslinger with that model?
    I don't know how you're trying to get that in game (still need to learn that myself) but replacing the gunslinger might be a better idea.

PS: It's looking really good
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for now I just know how to replace hats.. I think replace C_weapons is as easy as hats. but the gunslinger is THE engineer, and I don't know how to replace player models. the first google link is me asking here how the gunslinger submodel works