Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Veerek Select a couple points on the scouts hat and hit Control "+" (on the num-pad)
    that will select adjacent vertices, repeat until all is selected.

@Davidson My one main concern about your models is that they are a little too clunky and cluttered. Most models in TF2 are not very complicated in machinery or frame. This is kind of weird to say, but I think that if you simplify the model (for example getting rid of excess mechanical workings) that it would fit tf2 better. Less is more I suppose. I do think your models are very good, but they look like PERFECT weapons for a game such as Worms or as Tanktaur said, Rachet and Clank.

@Elbagast
    Looking pretty awesome, but do you think you could at sights at the tip of the barrel?

@Monkeez I thought the Flail was great and strangely hilarious. I enjoyed watching the enemies heads get crushed with a flailing ball. :)
    Also it looks like it would fit right in with the present melee weapons, but sadly the demoman has a LOT of melee weapons right now, which dims down its chances of exception a little.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Super late sketching tonight. Sorry I haven't done a whole lot of work with this, but im really happy with this one in particular. This is the Heavy tiki head. On the back there will be a surfboard with the Medic's face on it, and it'll be held up by some wood carvings of the Heavy's bullets. The tiki's back still needs more work though.

29dfno7.jpg

And by the way, highly recommended listening if you're doing work in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LigbX94pko&feature=related
  • Blasphemy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base color map of my Gatling Shotgun.

svetlanacolors4.jpg

I don't know how I'm going to go about adding clean details to this, as the surface area is too small for sharp edges. It just stretches. I did manage to optimize the amount of faces, and size of faces in the UV layout, even if it took me all day.

svetdetailmap.jpg

Also, I've been having trouble landing on a good name for it. Potential candidates are:
    Olga
    Babushka (Second place IMO)
    Kiska
    Svetlana (Current one in use -- not sure if it really fits though)

What do you guys think?
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Do a 1024 texture ?
    babouchka means grandma so it could be cool
    Also you sould split some edges in the uv to keep things straight.
    uv_layout.jpg
  • Aluca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @veerek I believe the best way to do smoothing groups in blender would be applying an "Edge split modifier" in a mesh. Apply "Set Smooth" for the whole mesh, add the modifier, disable "From angle" at its options, then start marking edges as sharp in Edit Mode with "CTRL+E". Make sure to check "Draw Sharp" in Edit Mode at "Mesh Tools More", to be able to see the sharp edges you marked.

That's is the only way I know it kinda works, at least inside blender. Maybe it doesn't translate to game engine, I don't know, since what the modifier does is leaving the edges separated once the modifier is applied. Maybe that's what actually happens inside game engines under the hood?

smoothblenderstep1.jpg

smoothblenderstep2.jpg

smoothblenderfinal.jpg

About the scout hat, at least with the smd model that the game already presents, it's separated once in Edit Mode. To quickly select it, just select a vertex and hit "Ctrl+L". Do this for the other separated parts too.

@Blasphemy model looks great! I like Babushka :)

@The Scrub if you enable GLSL inside the menu "Game" at the top bar, then changing viewport shading to "Shaded" and add light, I think you will be able to see those shading issues in Blender

So this is the hat I posted earlier, but now in the model viewer. I think I'll rework it, add some detail and more bleeding at the seams and try to add jigglebones. C&C appreciated.
    pyrojestermviewer.png
  • Dr.Eggman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    40538959.jpg

^^^
    WIP

And what you think about who he should be?

Santa Claus:
    inflatable_santa_claus.jpg

Or his RUSSIAN colleague - Дед Мороз (Ded Moroz, readin' as [Ded Moroz]):
    dedmoroz.jpg
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been working on this. What do you think ?? Going to submit it soon.

*The picture is bright, i know.

engie.jpg
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tabasco "tabasconator" shotgun, now with an 8 round revolver-style drum. Those two bottles with needles sticking out are meant to be taken by the pyro in an alt-fire mode and/or taunt giving him temporary bonus. now, as to where to put them external tabasco bottles: I'm leaning towards 3 or 4.

tabasco_shotgun_04.jpg
    tabasco_shotgun_05.jpg
    tabasco_shotgun_06.jpg
    tabasco_shotgun_07.jpg
    tabasco_shotgun_08.jpg
  • GoLDeN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    36533423.jpg
    What do u think?
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Blasphemy, before you go any further with that, you should go back and optimize your UVs. There are a bunch of areas that should overlap on the UV map to save you space and get you more pixels to work with.

All the things highlighted should be overlapping their counterparts:
    LEQ02.png

The sides of the handles, the barrels, the things that hold the barrels together and a bunch of little circular bits don't necessarily need to have unique UV space because nobody will ever notice that the texture is mirrored on those parts even if you have AO baked into the texture.
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    veerek wrote: »
    @sharkiss Gah, that's exactly what I wanted to do for scout :c

U know heavy got something like this today !
  • szthesquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some concept art for some Medic gear, inspired by some ideas in a Steam forum thread. Unfortunately I don't know the first thing about 3D modelling, so I would have no idea how to make this work.

The rods on the "backpack" bit would be tied to the Medic's Ubercharge level, so they rise as the Uber fills up.

I had some thoughts for stats, but that's kind of irrelevant, I guess.

Radpack.jpg
  • Shadowplay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowplay polycounter lvl 13
    Ok I am done with my model, heres the problem, i have no idea really what to do next. I am a modeler and havnt done much animation or rigging yet. All the tutorials i see for this are in Max and the latter half of this project does not seem to translate well into Maya.

At the moment the model is in OBJ format, it has one color map and one spec map tied to a phong. Its already been fitted perfectly to the Medics head however i dont know how to attach it to the bip.head bone using Maya. I am pretty sure once i get that far in i can learn the rest myself. Does anyone know any good tutorials for TF2 hats but in Maya? I would rather get this decompiled and exported as an SMD then just send the three files to Valve raw.

Anyway here is my model, The Practitioners Pestilence Protector or 3P. Modeled after plague doctor masks from the medieval era.

2687662170103400502S500x500Q85.jpg

2668948980103400502S500x500Q85.jpg

Mask and hat are all one piece
  • ColonelBD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @re.wind:

I would go with 3 or 4 aswell, although 1 works aswell, just not as good as 3 or 4.

I've done a bit of work of on the saw. I didn't get what blasphermy meant about the vial, so ive completely redone that.

Ive also removed the smaller clamps and widened the one big one, however now the saw looks even flimsier in my opinion, although I have added a crossbar which runs about 2/3 along it. Any feedback in that area would be prefered. Heres a few ingame shots.

refwip.jpg

w_Aowip.jpg

w_withmedicAowip.jpg

I know that his hands clipping slightly, the black lines and that the shadings not perfect. But I want the model finalised before I really start perfecting those things.
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this a better or worse color for the hat?

newcolor.jpg
  • Smack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smack polycounter lvl 18
    I like the lighter new color better, it helps it stand out more against the gas mask
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Tweaked my Big Bombs Launcher to look more simple build up:
    bigbombslauncherblockingnew.jpg
    old version: http://www.vitamin3d.com/bilder/bigbombslauncherblocking.jpg
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ColonelBD wrote: »
    @re.wind:

I would go with 3 or 4 aswell, although 1 works aswell, just not as good as 3 or 4.

I've done a bit of work of on the saw. I didn't get what blasphermy meant about the vial, so ive completely redone that.

Ive also removed the smaller clamps and widened the one big one, however now the saw looks even flimsier in my opinion, although I have added a crossbar which runs about 2/3 along it. Any feedback in that area would be prefered. Heres a few ingame shots.

refwip.jpg

I know that his hands clipping slightly, the black lines and that the shadings not perfect. But I want the model finalised before I really start perfecting those things.

It might look better if the bottom saw was actually connected to the syringe part, like this:
    testsaw.jpg
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 on what guy above me said.

Also, see attached, my suggestions are making the upper part a bit longer and moving the handle down slightly.

The handle just feels kinda weird in my opinion, it's too big :S

Otherwise the saw is looking great!
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should move the straps in the handle because the hand is always obscuring them. besides, I think it's just too similar to the ubersaw, take a look at how different the vitasaw is in shape and silouette
  • RedSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Aluca I love you... so MUCH! Thank you!

@re.wind That's pretty cool. It seems like it would need custom animations though because of the lack of a pump. Oh, and I would go with #3 but add a third tabasco bullet.

@AAA_battery I agree with Smack, the new color is better. Also perhaps you could add in some coal smudges and discolorations. It seems a little too clean to have been used.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey polycounter lvl 11
    I am jumping on the Christmas band wagon! Taking ideas for names :) It is an all-class hat. Right now I'm thinking "missle-toe"...pun intended :D

Missle-Toe: 800 tris - 439 polys
    wipr.jpg

The material and shaders are still WIP
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    going with 3 then.
    tabasco_shotgun_09.jpg
  • Aluca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @veerek Thanks man, glad I could help.

@GoLDeN That's great! Maybe you could paint a red/blue shaky target, just to mess with snipers while you ambush that ubercharged medic :D.

@RedSheep :)

@Shadowplay You checked the Valve developer wiki? http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Maya#External_links. There you'll find a list with some tuts, but I don't know if they will work. Also really digging the hat.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Davision: I'm still loving this gun Dav :D No critiques from me
    @AAA_Battery: While I'm still not sure people will recognize it as a mining hat, it's a great looking model :)
    @Shadowplay: This would have fit in quite well with all the other halloween entries...very nice work! I am a 3DS Max user, so I cannot help you with Maya rigging =\
    @re.wind: Do you have plans to add a grip of some sort? Looks a bit bare at the moment :)
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors wrote: »
    heavy_chainzaw_da_6.jpg
    crits welcome :)

I like alternate more.
    but I think that green is a bit out of place, with the blue palette it might fit good, but with the red it looks weird. why don't you try to use one more yelowish?
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    autokey wrote: »
    @AAA_Battery: While I'm still not sure people will recognize it as a mining hat, it's a great looking model :)

thanks, i dont how to make it look any more like a vintage mining helmet, i think the biggest problem is that most people have never seen one in this style before.
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i dont how to make it look any more like a vintage mining helmet, i think the biggest problem is that most people have never seen one in this style before.
    Yea, that's what I meant :) You hit the design spot on, but people may not know that design
  • Shadowplay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadowplay polycounter lvl 13
    Thank you everyone for your kind words, i'm gonna do my best to figure out how to export this stuff. The textures were easy enough to transfer to VTF's but the model itself is a different story. Do i have to make the collision or does Valve do that? If all else fails ill just send the OBJ and and texture files and hope for the best but id really love to get this done as i have dozens of ideas bouncing around but id rather get this in and learn this before i start on another.

Here are a few more shots

2090521420103400502S500x500Q85.jpg

2465200230103400502S500x500Q85.jpg

2090521420103400502dDdsHK_fs.jpg
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you should move the straps in the handle because the hand is always obscuring them. besides, I think it's just too similar to the ubersaw, take a look at how different the vitasaw is in shape and silouette

I think you have a good point.
    Maybe if it was a bit longer it would look more distinct...
  • AAA_BATTERY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    progress is going really slow, i got lots of other things to do. but i added some illumination to the brim of the hat, i know it doesn't look fabulous, but its the best i could get it after several hours of futzing with it. for the longest time it was to much and to bright, it also appeared blue against the Grey of the hat in the beginning.

Edit: i also fixed that seam running down the middle of the texture shortly after posting this. it was being caused by the lod textures, and got worse the farther from the camera it was.

cpdustbowl0125.jpg
  • Elbagast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's gone all Christmas in here...

@Shadowplay: You can use the compiler to generate the physics mesh. Submitting in OBJ shouldn't really hurt a hats chances since they only need to tie it to one bone.

I decided to do a series of concept sketches to see what I can do with my shotgun, and it turned into some design development:

shotgun_development_concepts_by_elbagast-d326o95.png

The one at the bottom is probably my gun.

If you're wondering what that chunky thing on the front end is, it's based on the bayonet lug of a Remington 870, which is chunky and built to reinforce the barrel. The barrel rib went because it was reminding me too much of a modern gun's Picatinny rails. I think any further detailing will probably make the gun too noisy.
  • dire_luck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Elbagast: Good idea to remove the barrel's rail. I think concept #6 is the best, but i also like 4 because it's kinda stout, so maybe it would be nice to see 6 shortened to 4's length. As for the handles, i like that one on 5 because it's different from the normal one, but not radically different.
  • a gentlman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 + That thing on top of the barrel from no.1

Edit: Oh and I really like the stock from the wireframe underneath 3
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AA, That looks a lot better, I really like the changes you put into it. I really don't think it can be mistaken for the attendant and even if it can, it's not like it effect game play. There are a lot more hats already included in TF2 that are "WTF at a distance".

Noors, I'm digging that chainsaw!

Elbagast, I like the 3rd one, the detail on the detailing on the tips of the others starts to look a little more sci-fi for some reason.

I wrapped up the materials, meshes the first two and I'll be working on the materials for the chipper this weekend. The chipper is fully rigged and ready to be dropped in game but I ran into some trouble getting some example files out of the .cgf's but I guess that's due to the number of files in an update...

LumberJackHelmet02.jpg723tris, 1 64px
    StumpThumper03.jpg1,102 tris, 1 256px
    ChipperTest02.gif6,158tris, 1 512px
  • Jedah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedah polycounter lvl 8
    Got to work on my Mad Hatter a bit more. Made quite a few changes to geometry to make it look somewhat more seamless so will have to redo some of the UV's and texture.

madhatoocopy.jpg
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    woodchipper is badass.
  • REKLAS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, that's awesome. It looks like the gears are spinning the opposite direction when you look at the teeth, you should try messing with the speed they're rotating at so it doesn't create that optical illusion. Some times it looks right and sometimes it looks like it's spinning the wrong direction, is that just me?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Vig - would it be possible to sacrifice the club for extra ammo?
  • Sharkisss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    ChipperTest02.gif6,158tris, 1 512px

The model looks great but i think that you need something to add on the model. It looks great but a little bit boring (No the part with the wood chip, thats nice) Add a button that turns green or red on firing and when out of ammo. And maybe put on a note for heavy that says that the wood chips are not food. Make it look more interesting and maybe funny.
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    The Heavy Lumberjack pack looks awesome! Also, the mad hatter looks a load better.
    Also, autokey beat me to my idea, but mine wouldn't have turned out very well, so it's better he did it - it looks good
  • autokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AGuyCalledSpyke: Haha sorry about that, but thanks for the comment :)
    @Elbagast: I'm loving the concept. Have you thought about widening the handle towards the butt end? I don't think the soldier's shotgun does that, but I feel like it may give it more of a TF2 cartoony feel. I could be wrong :D
    @Jedah: That mad hatter looks spot on! If you are going for the original look though, I think you need to make the band a bit thicker. And possibly even turn up the sides of the brim:
    madhattercartoon.jpg

@Vig: This set is amazing. I think you should put some sort of warning sticker on the wood chip door :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DKK wrote: »
    Oh yes Vig, very yes!
    Thanks buddy, I hope it makes it in.
    Screwonhed wrote: »
    woodchipper is badass.
    Heh I hear it would be bad for your ass to get too close to a chipper... some of the crap I found when looking for ref prove it...=P
    REKLAS wrote: »
    Vig, that's awesome. It looks like the gears are spinning the opposite direction when you look at the teeth, you should try messing with the speed they're rotating at so it doesn't create that optical illusion. Some times it looks right and sometimes it looks like it's spinning the wrong direction, is that just me?
    Yea I need to adjust the speed or reduce the number of teeth on the gears. At first I thought it was just the playback speed of the gif (its playing kind of fast in my browser) then I rendered out a AVI and it had the wagon wheel effect too. I wanted to try it out in game at 24fps instead of 30 (1 360 rotation per 30 frames for 90 frames) and see how it looks before I mess with the model. It's not like its all that hard to skin but it might be a easy fix in the QC file?
    Snader wrote: »
    Vig - would it be possible to sacrifice the club for extra ammo?
    Ha ha ha, I like it. But I'll leave that up to valve if they decide to put it in. You should be able to drop multiple logs in there before you're out of ammo. I envision it being a bit like a BAR in Day of Defeat or CoD1-2, low amount of ammo per clip, fairly high accuracy and pretty high impact.
    Sharkisss wrote: »
    The model looks great but i think that you need something to add on the model. It looks great but a little bit boring (No the part with the wood chip, thats nice) Add a button that turns green or red on firing and when out of ammo. And maybe put on a note for heavy that says that the wood chips are not food. Make it look more interesting and maybe funny.
    I like those ideas, I was planning on doing a machine data plate on the feeder but a warning"Chips are fuel not food" or something like that would be fun. Maybe a "splinter removal/first aid kit", maybe the latch is loose and the lid flaps up and down a bit.... humm...
    The Heavy Lumberjack pack looks awesome!
    Thanks, lets hope valve likes it.
    autokey wrote: »
    @Vig: This set is amazing. I think you should put some sort of warning sticker on the wood chip door :D
    Good idea it seems like a deadly area, at the very least a warning stripe probably.
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    That animation looks great vig! You gonna put in the game yourself or let valve do it?
  • GoLDeN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ugly Ducking
    screen2lr.jpg
  • AGuyCalledSpyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGuyCalledSpyke polycounter lvl 7
    @autokey don't worry about it - it wouldn't have looked any good if I did it :)
    I also had an idea for a Rudolph thing for the Scout... maybe I could do Jack Frost for the Spy?
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just extracted the golden wrench material and texture to learn how valve does gold and I found that this is the texture
    21mi4v8.jpg
    which I guess is the normal wrench texture... so... the VMT looks like this.
    "VertexlitGeneric"
    {
        "$baseTexture" "models\weapons\v_wrench\v_wrench_sheet"
        "$bumpmap" "models/effects/flat_normal" 
        "$detail" "effects/tiledfire/fireLayeredSlowTiled512.vtf"    
        "$detailscale" "5"
        "$detailblendfactor" .01
        "$detailblendmode" 6
        "$yellow" "0"

"$phong" "1"
        "$phongexponent" "8"
        "$phongboost" "5"
        "$phongfresnelranges"    "[.25 1 4]"
        "$basemapalphaphongmask" "1"

"$envmap" "effects/goldcube"

"$envmaptint" "[1.5 1.2 .2]"

// Rim lighting parameters
        "$rimlight" "1"                                                // To enable rim lighting (requires phong)
        "$rimlightexponent" "4"                                        // Exponent for phong component of rim lighting    
        "$rimlightboost" "2"                                        // Boost for ambient cube component of rim lighting

// Cloaking
        "$cloakPassEnabled" "1"
        "Proxies"
        {
            "weapon_invis"
            {
            }
            "AnimatedTexture"
            {
                "animatedtexturevar" "$detail"
                "animatedtextureframenumvar" "$detailframe"
                "animatedtextureframerate" 30
            }
            "BurnLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$detailblendfactor"
            }
            "YellowLevel"
            {
                "resultVar" "$yellow"
            }
            "Equals"
            {
                "srcVar1"  "$yellow"
                "resultVar" "$color2"
            }

}
    }

Is all the properties that make the golden wrench golden in that file or do I just extracted a wrong file?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D wrote: »
    That animation looks great vig! You gonna put in the game yourself or let valve do it?
    I plan on doing as much as I can, at least what I can do and be sure I'm not making more work for them, ha..
    I just extracted the golden wrench material and texture to learn how valve does gold and I found that this is the texture
    Is all the properties that make the golden wrench golden in that file or do I just extracted a wrong file?
    I think it comes from the cubemap and the tint they put on it. It's a pretty smart way to handle creating a new material without creating more textures.
    "$envmap" "effects/goldcube"

"$envmaptint" "[1.5 1.2 .2]"
  • Arcaltarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well that is now the last of my worries. I made the whole hand using as reference the world model with its world bones..
    Just a minute ago I found and decompiled the VIEW model with its view bones.. they don't match at all. I have to do two versions, one for each set of bones.
    On the bright side, the view model of the gunslinger and my replacement have almost the same polycount