My pack is now totally finished and submitted:
All-items-promo.png

Finished:
-Schwaben Charger - Medigun replacement
-Tonsil Guillotines - saw replacement
-Overdose - Needlegun replacement
-Backpack replacement

----Original post starts here----

I wanted to give the medic some item love way back when the contribute site was first put up. I started a new blutsauger and eventually gave up on it. I'm back to do a proper job this time.
:)

I've started some thumbs for the medigun:
medilauncher-thumbnails.jpg
I love the homebrew feel to all of the weapons in the original TF2 universe, tape on the medigun, the petrol nozzle trigger on the flamethrower etc, I really want to bring that into my designs, you can expect tape on anything I make, as long as there is room for it!

I've a few ideas for the other weapons but no solid concepts to show yet.

I know functionality isn't part of this, but I have had fun coming up with some (file may change as I think of new ideas or decide others are over/underpowered)
Just for fun

Replies

• Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like concept 3 and 5 :O
    1 and 2 look too much like weapons, and 4 looks too odd.

3 feels pretty hefty, it looks like it could be really cool.
    5 looks more like an ordinary medigun, but I like the big nozzle and the smaller bottle/tank thingies beneath it.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I like 3 and 5 too. The little wires/lightning or whatever on the front of 5 make it unique (Although lightning on your weapon wouldn't fit at all in the TF2 universe) and the little canisters on 5 are a good idea. #2 looks too much like a shotgun or something and #4 and #1 just look kind of strange to me. I think with some refinement #3 or #5 would be the best.
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good YM, concept #4 looks interesting. #3 Reminds me of a hair dryer for some reason.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Seems I posted it twice. The your post is being moderated message was on the screen for a split second before the page refreshed, I had no chance of reading it the first time and assumed it was just "thanks for posting, you're being redirected"

I'm liking the bottom row myself I'm doing some thumbnails for something else now, after a few more people comment I'll start doing some more medigun concepts of the bits people like.
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the 3 an 5 too.

3 is a lil bit badass but "could" be done good.
    5 is a nice idea whith these "pumps" down there.
  • Zwiffle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwiffle null
    I can't say I'm a fan of any of those, but #1 shows the best potential. I think it has the most unique, streamlined shape but still feels like a Medigun.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5 With the handle from 1 would be sweet :D
  • Gilboron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say I REALLY like your Healing Flamethrower idea. Design-wise, I really like #1. The different handle and the little added tank - or whatever the thing is on top of the barrel.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Kinda mucking about here, I'm not sure I like any of them:
    backpack-thumbnails.jpg

I liked the idea of putting the stuff IN a backpack, but the medic's backpack is sort of a mini-powerplant, after all it's gotta fuel his medigun with whatever the hell it uses.
  • Buck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1 with 3's hoses would look cool i think.
  • dickless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might be a little anachronistic but what if #3 was made out of a water cooler? It would fit with the whole homemade aesthetic that a lot of the TF2 weapons have. Stick some tape on there for good measure.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    @dickless I like the idea of them using whatever they had to hand, nothing (other than perhaps the razorback) looks quite that botched though.

Started work on the medigun itself, probably 2/3 the way through the meshwork

medigun-wip-2.jpg

Gunna dent up one of those cannisters, right now they're all an instance of the first one so I'll have to figure that out. I'm a source mapper really modeling is a newer venture. I've always found that learning by doing is the best method so I have no fear jumping right in.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good.

By chance are you Youme from the TF2 Mappers forum?
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Yes that's me.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I somewhat like 1 and 3 of your backpack, but in all honesty I don't like them better than the ordinary backpack Medic wields.

I'm loving the new Medigun model you made though.
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uuuhhh

The Backpack Idea is brilliant.

A mix between the #3 and #4 could look good but im not sure.

The Basic of the Medicgun is veeery good but a lil bit is not fitting to it. (IMHO^^)

1. It is looking a lil bit to heavy here. A lil bit lighter theme(thinner barrel or instead of this lil tower, some tube something) should do the work.

2. The Handprotection here loks like, that it is to much stuff down there.
    I would try to move the cannisters a lil bit back from it(a lil bit longer Gun) oder just let it away.

medigunwip2pa8ctsgi.jpg

Mayby like the pic in the attachment.
  • Benvil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uuuhhh

The Backpack Idea is brilliant.

A mix between the #3 and #4 could look good but im not sure.

The Basic of the Medicgun is veeery good but a lil bit is not fitting to it. (IMHO^^)

1. It is looking a lil bit to heavy here. A lil bit lighter theme(thinner barrel or instead of this lil tower, some tube something) should do the work.

2. The Handprotection here loks like, that it is to much stuff down there.
    I would try to move the cannisters a lil bit back from it(a lil bit longer Gun) oder just let it away.

medigunwip2pa8ctsgi.jpg

Mayby like the pic in the attachment.
    I agree with number 2.

It does make too much cluster in the bottom of the weapon.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Just as I come to post progress someone suggests something I already did :)
    I think (can't quite remember) that I moved the canisters forward slightly and I sloped the hand guard so that its more out of their way. No changes to the top part though.

Have a nice new render:
    medigun-wip-3.jpg
    I've UV'd it fully, however I can't help but think that was a mistake as I'll probably want to tweak something come tomorrow.

I'll take a break from modeling to have another go at those backpacks. Merging #1 and #3 somewhat.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Narrowing down the backpack silhouettes:
    backpack-thumnails-2.jpg
  • Clusternate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #7 with the tube of #6
  • Priest of Syrinx
    That medigun looks quite bulky! I wonder what kind of bad-assery it will do...

I hope your ideas get into the game, new medic equipment would be rad for us (well, me at least) hard core medic players! xD
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Clusternate.
  • Guitbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. The tube adds a lot to the silhouette.
  • Karkasmolenklok
    I'm a fan of the valve thingy on the top of #1.

And as I said to the other guy, the top handle could stand to be played with a little.
  • Artexe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept of backpack #4 - nice.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    medigun-wip-4.JPG
    Got bored so I threw in some solid colours. Its too dark and needs some tape, fortunately I left enough space in my texture for additional geometry should it be needed.
    Solid colours except for the one canister that is dented, you couldn't see it as clearly before, it should be clear from the first person view but I might dent it a bit more.

The indents in the nose will glow like the Ubersaw's meter and I was wondering about making those front wires team coloured instead of yellow for both.
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat, I like the dent as it breaks the symmetry a bit.
    I also like the wires, as it gives it a more "homemade" feel :O

I hope it is not "too unique" though.
    Medic's normal Medigun and Kritzkrieg do after all not differ majorly in appearance, could you perhaps show us a picture of you model next to one of the other Mediguns for comparison?
  • Karkasmolenklok
    Y_M wrote: »
    Its too dark
    I don't think so. Something that sets it apart from the other two isn't a bad thing, unless it breaks the style and, without seeing it in action, I can't say one way or the other on that.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I might redo these totally as I'm not all that happy with them but I've yet to export them and see them properly rendered in TF2.

The Medical overshoes:

overshoes.jpg
    They come in two colours: baby blue and flowery pink.

I really need a good name for them but I'm out of ideas and my knowledge of German is limited.

Gunna add some tape to the medigun, and make the canisters less uniform now before working on its texture.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Overshoe would be Uberschuh, I believe. Thats a literal translation anyway.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Moving away from the fail of those shoe covers, I taped up the barrel and made the canisters less uniform.

Now I see the front view next to the original I really don't like the handguard. It may have to go.
    medigun-comparisons.jpg
  • Psyke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quite the chunky little brute isn't it?
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the modifications. especially the yellow cables give it a nice touch.
    agreed on the handguard. the free space down there will be good aswell.

an idea on the handle: why don't you break it up on one end, so it looks more different from the original handle?

pic

also, can you post a shot of the medigun how it will look from first person view? i'd be interested in that.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice! I really dig the backpack. Sweet design there. I guess it will be a misc slot item?

One thing concerns me though. The medigun you're working on is very futuristic looking and TF2 is supposed to be making use of 50's design sense and style.I think the backpack works well, but the gun definitely seems like it's from the future. Just something to keep in mind.:)
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not going to unbalance the handle like that pic (looks incredibly flimsy) but I will consider revising the handle. I have no more space on the UV map to add stuff so I will have to rebuild it rather than add to it. The hand-guard disappearing should free up some more space too.

I'll have a go at exporting it so I can get it in a first person view eventually, it's not skinned to any bones yet and I have absolutely no idea how to get it so that it is! (learning on the job for the win)
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, its certainly not the easiest weapon to replace ;-)
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    backpack-wip-1.jpg

Backpack replacement progresses well. :)
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    If only there was a decent way to remove the original backpack :(
    Will have to leave that up to valve I guess.

backpack-attached.JPG
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, maybe it can represent the undercharge level in the tank there.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    So in the last two hours I've learnt to skin models and have managed to, rather painlessly, get the new model 100% working ingame.

Thirdperson, firstperson and a view from the model viewer.
    medigun-wip-6.jpg

I removed the phong since I haven't built all the proper maps for controlling it and it just got in the way. I missed the skin on the yellow wires so they vanished, just imagine they're there. The sparkles are from my community kritzkrieg =p (I guess it emulates what it would look like if I won >.<).

Next tasks:
    -Add another section of tape
    -Remove the handguard
    -Lengthen the existing handle (the medic's hands are BIG and the handle vanished into them)
    -Smooth out the skin on the hose its a little bit sharp at the moment.
    -Finish texture and other maps.
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Medigun looks great so far, but perhaps it should have a different method of shooting, instead of the lever on top in order to make it stand out from the original and the Kritzkreig.
  • woodn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice progress, y_m. great to see it ingame, even if it looks a little dark on those screenshots.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    syringegun-thumbnails.jpg

Varied bunch of thumbs this time. what bits of each do you like?
  • Khthon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #1 seems too generic. A neat detail on the bottom of the handle would go great (as in #2) although it won't be seen often. #2 has a nice tip thing. #3 seems like a one shot needle gun? Too sparse. #4 is a neat triangular shape, maybe you could go further with that shape. #5 is cool but looks more like a raygun than a needle gun.
  • youngoli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #2 looks awesome, especially the top loading. #4 is also interesting, but I think the shapes would have to be shifted a little, because it looks like the needles would have to slide downwards just to reach the barrel.
  • Nerdlights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps the Medigun could be called the Gro
  • Karkasmolenklok
  • Sileya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    # 2's top loading on 4's design and 2's barrel ?
  • Simski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you keeping them within a certain theme now >.>?
    I mean, I do think your models are awesome, but as far as I understand they want the weapons to go with a special theme.

Oh and... I think the black tape thing holding the yellow wires could need a texture more similar that of the original medigun.

I also think that the glass part of your medpack looks very strange as of now :O
    Make the medpack optional too, perhaps Valve likes your medigun model but doesn't want the Medic to have a new medpack.
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    special theme? all they want is alternate looking weapons, themes or not.