Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Spatz wrote: »
    great work!... i like the untextured version more...can you please share the technic for making such beautiful bark?

thanks man, yea it was super easy and super quick,

- I made a nice tileable bark texture and then edited it into a bump map (keeping a full colour diffuse also).
    - Next I made a simple tube (must have smooth/even topology like any other base mesh for sculpting) in Maya and Uv'd it.
    - In zbrush I subdivided the tube til I had enough resolution and then applied the bump map style texture, masking>mask by intensity (masks by the rgb intensity),
    - and then turn the texture off (should show the mask in place) and then deformation>inflate until it looks good.

hope it helps :D
  • Mime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mime polycounter lvl 14
    gauss wrote: »
    oh how I were to download that immediately, had I an iphone. nice to see it iterated, love the colors.

a little 3d mockup-photoshop-painter combo action.

am_panopticon1.jpg

WOW, would hang that on my wall anyday...
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i got two things here

first is this lunchtime project minotaur that im not really taking very seriously (yet) :)

messin.jpg

and then still working on the gunslinger at home

excluding the head, he's around 11,000 tris with a 2048 map (head and guns will be on seperate textures). everything is still WIP, and i'm currently finishing up his weapons then i'm gonna come back and go over all the texture work and shading/lighting for the final stuff :poly122:

(ignore the head/eyes in this pic btw, they are just placeholder) struggled a bit with the leather and metal surfaces so far, and still wanna look out to push em further

hit me up with any crits, cos i wanna do as good of a job as i can on this, and ill be coming back to refine everything anyway :thumbup:

WIP-1.jpg

he will of course have a pimp eastwood style hat :)

edit: realised i gotta add some AO and wear/tear around where the buckle is in contact with the belts. its lookin a bit "stuck on" atm :poly141:
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Damn catstyle, those are both awesome! I love the folds on the gunslinger's clothes, they feel so natural.
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Amazing catstyle, It Feels Very natural! and the model looks so clean and perfect! I love how you work!
  • Spatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    thanks crazyfool :) for sure helps... i´ll give it a try...

catstyle - gunslinger looks great...have you a thread for him...i would like to see more ...
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    great work Catstyle :D cloth work is lovely
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I dont know how to say it without sounding rude, so I'll just say it. I think this is the worst work I've seen from you Mr. Singh. Not the usual excellence we've come to expect from you sir!

The sunken cheeks make him look like lumpy Gordon Freeman...on heroin. I can tell you're going for a stylized rendition but it just seems a little sloppy and thrown together.

yeah maybe I showed it too soon. thanks fer the crit!
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    looks great Catstyle. I think his neck might be tad too long. I'm talking only like 10-15% too long. Everything else is awesome and coming along.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    crazyfool, very nice work man!

updated my ashitaka a bit
    a_03.jpg
  • Stutts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stutts polycounter lvl 11
    Catstyle the gunslinger is awesome the only thing I would say is too add some wear and tear on the holster were the gun has been drawn the gun
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wild work catstyle!

neox are you going to do the hood that he wears and the red elk as well?
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Wow ! Many awesome stuff these last days !!

A lil' something I'm working on for now :

armor4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    very cool gosss I dont like the ear things looks like a strong design without them but that might just be me.
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ catstyel-- wicked work man on the minotaur and the gunslinger. I think the leather on the belt works great and the folds in the jeans look and shirt feel natural.. on the other hand, what time period is he from?.. He looks a bit like something more modern than something out of a wild west film. I donno what you're going for here, but possible suggestions could be a pancho, cowboy hat, boots w/ stirrups.. anways.. technically.. it's beautiful man.. keep it up!

Edit: oop.. shoulda read further about the Clint Eastwood hat, and shoulda noticed the boots.. my bad.. great stuff dude..

Here is one of my final pics for my sword, I believe I'm calling finished. Crits and Suggestions still appreciated.. and you can see the other pics in my Frostmourne thread..

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=72169&page=4

frostmourneangles.jpg
  • StefanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    super awesome catstyle and gauss! i love that stuff.

I'm actually working on finishing my old dominance war character. Here is a quick peak, part of the kneeguards.

Zbrush screengrab.

render81.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woogity wrote: »
    neox are you going to do the hood that he wears and the red elk as well?

i'll probably do yakul as well, not sure yet, fur is just a pain in the ass to render, but i'm not gonna make his straw cloak/hood, otherwise i'd have to model the rest of the outfit differently and i liked the version when he was in the ironsmelter helping the ladies on the bellows
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Neox: Looking great so far. I notice you came back and blurred it in that one spot. Heh.

JMiles: I really like how that sword turned out! What did you render that in? My only crit really is with the presentation. I think it looks a little random currently, it would be better if you worked out some sort of order imo. Anyways, great work.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox: Looking great so far. I notice you came back and blurred it in that one spot. Heh.

same image everywhere and didn't want to mark it as nudity for deviant art ;)
  • Medestruit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jmiles, I would honestly. The yellow really ruins the mood of Frostmourne, where as a blue light gives it the "cold" feeling it has in the game. Possible a little bit of blue glow in post too?
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    @ BradMyers82-- Thank you sir! The presentation in this pic is a bit random, I admit, but I wanted to show the sword at extreme angles, where I thought the light hit it the best so you can see some of the major details, especially in the hilt. And my shots are actually real time screen grabs w/ the textured/colored background doctored in PS.

@ Medestruit-- I understand what ya say about the yellow light and the mood. It comes from my original rim lighting setup. The Key light is the blue color you see of the middle image, but I found that the extreme of the yellow light of the backside created a great opposite contrast to the front, and because of that, the blue light became a great under tone light when presented on the yellow side. It also brought out a lot of great colors in the metal, as well as the leather, imo... I do however, have the sword presented on the blue side for my layout sheet in my thread. I wanted a balance of both and tired not to limit myself to one side of the sword because there are details that are asymmetrical to the front. And yeah, there is a slight blue glow around the sword pics, as a means to pop them out.. tried to make them subtle enough not to take away from the sword itself. Thanks for the crits!
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    gauss: this is soooo cool!! maybe a bit more contrast but thats all I would find to crit

catstyle:

very very nice man

imo the folds on the pants go a bit over board , too sharp and imo also a bit too much for an jeans like material.. the shirt-front on the other hand looks fantastic, the back also is a bit too sharp folded.

love the head too
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Here's another concept for another RTS game, hope someone can guess which game and which unit it is supposed to be.

The wheelbase is completely whack but i just couldnt work it out. Ill take another stab at it at a later stage. procrastinating!

21vogp.jpg
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Nelis wrote: »
    Here's another concept for another RTS game, hope someone can guess which game and which unit it is supposed to be.

The wheelbase is completely whack but i just couldnt work it out. Ill take another stab at it at a later stage. procrastinating!

21vogp.jpg

Command and Conquer, Brotherhood of Nod, Dune buggy. Amirite?
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    DING DING DING! wow that was fast, good job. I guess the markings give it away anyway but im glad i reads well.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheers for crits/comments guys, very helpful to hear what ppl think. btw all the pattern work/engravings for this guy are my own designs, apart from this one on the tip of the barrel (thats out of the book which this guy is based on, the dark tower)

finished baking up the gun tonight (fuck that was a long evening...) still got a bit of tidying to do, and hopefully itll look much nicer once the dif/spec maps are on the go

here's a quick grab with xoliuls shader

Colt_fps2.jpg

bit pricey with the tris seeing as he is having 2 of these, but i wanted to keep it functional and nice for close ups (and its not like he's goin in a console or anything, so might as well take some liberties :P)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    catstyle - while this bald dude is looking mighty fine, u might want to consider ur detail spread. what is important, where should the detail go, and how to keep it consistent through-out the model.

otherwise all i can say is add some bump-wear into the shirt (its too silky smooth!) and look into his neck being too high, might be the view angle.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    nice character work catstyle. gun is coming along nice too.
    manwalk.gif
    maledefault1.jpg

naked dude waking. toes are spaced out to make baking easier. have to morph them
    back in to shape
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    Nice as always Ruz. The whole Ken doll thing creeps me out a bit, but I guess that's better than a wang flapping about in the animation :P

Jmiles - Looks great!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers Massbot.
    yeah i was thinking of giving him a fig leaf as a laugh. I might add some boxers though instead.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    hey guys, it's pretty rare that I get to post something I did at work, but we just released a little flash game to help advertise for the upcoming prince of persia game.

300x250.jpg

I was responsible for some of the art/animation and overall design, although design wise ubisoft was far more in control of the final result then I was. We were trying to target a pretty young age group, hence the lack of difficulty. (I wanted to make it a lot harder and more complex, but blahblahblah)

Play it here:

http://www.gamespot.com/promotions/princeofpersia/index.html
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Ruz : Just terrific...well done.
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    catstyle wrote: »
    cheers for crits/comments guys, very helpful to hear what ppl think. btw all the pattern work/engravings for this guy are my own designs, apart from this one on the tip of the barrel (thats out of the book which this guy is based on, the dark tower)

finished baking up the gun tonight (fuck that was a long evening...) still got a bit of tidying to do, and hopefully itll look much nicer once the dif/spec maps are on the go

here's a quick grab with xoliuls shader

Colt_fps2.jpg

bit pricey with the tris seeing as he is having 2 of these, but i wanted to keep it functional and nice for close ups (and its not like he's goin in a console or anything, so might as well take some liberties :P)

This is insane, seriously. I'm doing a wild west character myself (although in a different style) and while this is inspirational it also makes me wanna scrape the whole thing. :poly141:
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    catstyle: I would really really love some insight into how you got your normal bake working with the shapes on the barrel and the hammer as well as the top of it.
    Fantastic work on the entire thing too man, really good.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    @jmiles - Fantastic job on the sword - I really like how it turned out and it looks a whole lot better than some of the darker versions you posted earlier. Well done.
    @catstyle - Looking Awesome - really, just a great job on the gun - some of the patterns are a bit hard to make out but with if you seperate them through the texture I'm sure they'll turn out fine. I look forward to seeing all of this finished.

I think I'll call the HP done:
    4605657796_69aae462e2_b.jpg
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
    Paul: your work blows my miiiiiiiind

i've just changed my portfolio quite a bit, it's still really rough :/tcurryart
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    ferg make robot, it WIP

lamebot.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Ferg wrote: »
    ferg make robot, it WIP

lamebot.jpg

hehe sweet design!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    High poly of a weapon I'm doing for our project.

tigris_presentation_01.png
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Catstyle - That is looking amazing already! What shader did you end up using? I love the details on the shoes - it gives for a really nice, believable aged leather look.

RUZ - Your animation stuff is really coming along nicely :) and the new character is looking cool so far.
  • multidarek
  • DAONEDATDOES
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro wrote: »
    Bring. It. OOOOOOOOOOOOOON!

2009 had even MORE posts than 2008.
    2009 thread is available here. So much goodness!

Some admin sticky this please ;) If I keep this up I might be labelled as the what are you working on thread bitch.

Happy new year polycount!

Cool work..Dude you stay busy, Tha'ts what I been doing for the last 3 years...Stay Cranking.
  • catstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun - thanks for the advice, will definitely consider the detail spread once all the chips are down, i think the main problem atm is that a couple of his main focal points aren't in there yet, which I'm hoping will be his guns and his finished head. good call on the shirt being too plain, will try roughen that up

skambarin - i made seperate bake files for each piece (took longer to bake, but was cleaner and more flexibleto change stuff that way)

fatcap - thanks man. using standard one with scanline atm, but I think im gonna sort him all out with xoliul's later, the little effects like fresnel and cubemap reflections are really cool on that thing. was also planning on putting him in unreal too

thanks to everyone else too !

Paul - that is some amazing high poly work

Ferg - awesome design
  • multidarek
  • multidarek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Paul - Very nice high poly work and presentation.

Ferg - Great design. The layering and facial shapes are totally making me think of Thane from Mass Effect 2.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Haven't been up on the threads lately; some really cool stuff happing around here:)
  • Kenny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kenny polycounter lvl 7
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    finally got around to texturing this thing. I still have some more things to do with it, and spend a lil more time with the spec

also going thru the last few pages, lots of nice work in here

ps. Gauss, I noticed your AK as well, sweet modeling man

marmo_wip.jpg
  • CactusFantastico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Murdoc_wip_01.png

low poly murdoc.
This discussion has been closed.