Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good but is the grip really that small?
  • ohnomelon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohnomelon polycounter lvl 14
    this was an exercise to get more comfortable with subd, baking, and using normals and specular effectively. so far i still really can't get past cylinders before i get frustrated and stop :(
    surefirewip04.jpg
    but this doesn't seem to have come out terribad. normally i would spend a lot more time doing more damage and making the logos look nicer and blalalalalala. already took me way too long to get this far.

gauss: looks really good, but i'd be afraid some of those edges are too hard. whats realistic isn't always best for baking

rollin: love those legs, i wish there was some more obvious articulation for the ankles, similar to the knees :O
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    dw45c.JPG
    for the dw4.5 dreams and nightmares contest. pose feels funny to me, it looks almost like hes sitting on a barstool at the moment :S
  • Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    thats pretty cool unleashed :)

im working on another sdk texture, by slaught. i've not done many female 3d pieces :(

cyber_sdk_wip1.jpg
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Haven't used zbrush in a while...opened it up and started sculpting this alien head out of the polysphere...I'd like to continue it...crits please!

ALIEN03.jpg
  • rasmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick: Nice work on the 2nd painting, colors are hitting home.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Can't put zbrush away...

ALIEN05-1.jpg

I got a question for you pro zbrush users...

I kinda want to make this into a whole character....but the head was created out of a polysphere...

Could I make a base mesh for a body in 3ds max then import into zbrush then attach it to the head/neck of my sculpt so far? So it's one continuous mesh?
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good gauss! keep it up!
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Nick those studies are great.

witchhood01.jpg
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    gauss wrote: »
    which, the one running horizontally or the one running vertically on the upper left top of the magazine? the horizontal seam is modeled it's just a little harder to see in most angles. I don't have as strong of command of sub-d to have it show up just so, and I figured the vertical seam would be an ideal candidate for doing in PS. Yeah I'm going mostly crazy with the detail but I don't actually want to go crazy

to go crazy is to do it right.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Which of these looks best (or, do you have a better idea for shading)
    16 colours CGA...

shade.gif

they're planets, if it wasnt obv.
  • Levus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Levus polycounter lvl 11
    Nick, very cool paintings:)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    gauss.. are you baking it -> texture it?
    looks nice and clean so far!

Unleashed: the wings are looking heavy.., the creature is feeling slow and less dangerous because of this
    the body, esp the legs are looking nice though

and again me.. yes yes.. but this is REALLY the last one, more like the concept
    and the next update will get its own thread, promised..!
    I need a head that is not as busy as the body.. the last 2 had too much detailing and stuff.

etid_heads_d.jpg
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice sculpt rollin, I think the face is kind of flat in the profile view though
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    BlackulaDZ wrote: »
    nice sculpt rollin, I think the face is kind of flat in the profile view though

i think it gives it a slightly feline alien character. If that was his intention, it's sick
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Harry wrote: »
    Which of these looks best (or, do you have a better idea for shading)
    16 colours CGA...

shade.gif

they're planets, if it wasnt obv.

imo the 2nd.. but it would be better if it has a tiny bit more color in it without loosing the flat-shadow style

the noise in the shadow of #3 isn't working imo

but anyway.. for what is it?
  • vofff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vofff polycounter lvl 10
    Some tiles to our next game.
    test.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Trying to stay away from the big boob/overdetailed chick with this one.
    In fact it's harder to keep minimal detail and keep it clean. I want to try a cleaner approach, i hate to be stuck with this noisy/detail everywhere look of mine.

Anyway, it's challenging but fun.

unticul-1273156549173.jpg

Oh, i forgot, some fan art (because i'm jealous i didn't come up with such cool design) I made my "own" Salarian from mass effect:

Screen648-1272209020356.png
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beat, that female is the strangest human form I think I've ever seen. Where are her shoulders and how is that costume hanging on her back? Looks really uncomfortable lol.
  • duck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duck polycounter lvl 10
    sum recent stuff !

WIPISH3.jpg
    wipish.jpg
    FPS_CharacterMockup05.jpg

FPS_CharacterMockup06.jpgportfolio >>> http://depuiseau.com/
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man duck you are killing it. Been watching your stuff since the Omo Valley tribesman (especially his poise). Really enjoy these two sets of gang/thug characters, the glossiness and material read of their clothing plus the colors, everything. These are done so often it takes a careful investment in particular details to sell it, and these guys have personality.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    Retopoed my alien dude...no crits fellas?

ALIEN06.jpg
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on this guy recently, gotta finish up the body/backpack/face then decide how I want to outfit him; I'm thinking a power klaw / drill combo for the big arms then a skorca and rokkits on the smaller arms.

Either way, the assembly instructions for the models on the GW site make for some killer reference :)

MarkN_deffDreadwip01.jpg
  • duck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duck polycounter lvl 10
    gauss - thanks alot man, im glad you like id :)!
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick jacket update here, can anybody tell me what the best way to add text would be? i want to put his name on the plate in front of the base there, but when i try making an alpha it distorts around the curve

KED_FrankenMumm_07.jpg
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Scudz, that matcap is hurting my eyes.

As for text, why not type some text along a spline, extrude it outwards and import it into Zbrush?
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    BeatKitano: me likes this.. but I also wonder how she can move her shoulders ..

duck: awesome! and soo stylish
    there is only something with the eyes that bugs me.. kind of the weak spot.. the materials are great though

AutopsySoldier: create a thread if you want real crit, imo you should think of an interesting head first.. so far it's just another generic alien head
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    @Rollin -I really like that last character Rollin - its simple yet elegant. Maybe the upper lip could be pushed out a bit more in profile view?

@BeatKitano - Nice design so far - I look forward to where you are going to take it :)

Right - last update of this guy until I manage to get a proper render/ capture done I promise!

I have tried to take into account everybodies suggestions and so have slightly elongated the lower legs and the lower arms. I also slightly desaturated the elastoplasts (or bandaids for our American cousins) but didn't want to dirt them up too much as the graze it is covering is meant to be quite fresh and has quite a bit of shine although you can't see it in the shots I have done so far.

SamChester_body_orthos_new_web.jpg

Also took one shot into Photoshop for a bit of futzing about with some dodgy lens effects and post work to test what the final render will be like!

SamChester_biker_headDOF.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    gauss wrote: »
    Oh man duck you are killing it. Been watching your stuff since the Omo Valley tribesman (especially his poise). Really enjoy these two sets of gang/thug characters, the glossiness and material read of their clothing plus the colors, everything. These are done so often it takes a careful investment in particular details to sell it, and these guys have personality.

This!

Fat_Cap - Dude I have been loving this character for so long, defiantly one of my favorites from you man, awesome awesome awesome.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    fatcap he is really cool, the hair could use a bit more work looks way more painted than the rest and the eyes could use more live, but really well done :)

duck haha the gangstaz are great

ok going on
    chriss_08.jpg
    worked on the textures and shading/rendering, i again have to say, coming from the realtime background makes it a really pain in the *** to waaaaaaait and waaaaait :D
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    rollin wrote: »
    the noise in the shadow of #3 isn't working imo
    Agreed. I'm doing a whole other style of shading now and hoping it works
    rollin wrote: »
    but anyway.. for what is it?
    Something that isn't interesting enough to be worth the time learning about... Yet

Hands, mask and quick colouration test on this duder
    debloch.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    hands look a bit small and plugged on, would scale them a bit bigger and move them furter into the arm also for rigging purposes i'd suggest you to rotate the hands/wrists bei 90° forward so that the hands face down.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    hands look a bit small and plugged on, would scale them a bit bigger and move them furter into the arm also for rigging purposes i'd suggest you to rotate the hands/wrists bei 90° forward so that the hands face down.

The hands and inner shirt are actually a different element so those kinds of rotations shouldn't be a problem... But it's no use anyway because I have to fit it to an existing rig (the scale is also dictated by that, as well as length, hl2 being notorious for long arms ;) )
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    @duck : that's really great work, I spent a good 10 minutes just studying those characters; the gangstas with the assault rifles in particular seem to have a lot of depth and personality. Interesting presentation too.

@FAT_CAP: beautiful character, top notch across the board; the chromatic aberration on the renders is an interesting effect
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need help with this one, I cannot for the life of me work out what's wrong with this superhero character :S
    superheroc.jpg
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    the things those eyes must have seen... such sad sad eyes :(
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    @Duck just wow man! As said, they really have personality, and i have to say, those jacket's are just wicked! I'm glad we won't be searching for internship at the same time :D Good luck!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    duck wrote: »
    sum recent stuff !

That concept of the asian guy cracks me up...he looks so delighted with himself. Lots of personality in your characters...I did think the textures on the faces are too dependant on photo-source though...
  • D R E A M N T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D R E A M N T polycounter lvl 13
    Very W.I.P sniper.

WIP.png
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    @Duck: Awesome stuff man, love the flying squirrel :)
    @Neox: Really love seeing the updates on her, the render is starting to look real nice. Any plans on doing a lower res realtime version?
  • fullofclovers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullofclovers polygon
    I know the alphas screwed. Max's shadows cause it. Can't figure out how to correct it.
    11267899.jpg
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man this tread is my daily bread of inspiration... Well, I picked up an old mesh I did back in 98. My first character model actually, today I chucked it inside mudbox for some recycling:
    ogre_flat.jpg
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    98? Holy crap. What did it look like back then?
  • Niwon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin, it didn't look too hot :P It was a university project i did with max 1.2 ^^, My project was a Beowulf animation,
    and this model was my take on Grendel .
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, sweet. Difference is day and night :P 3D software sure has come a long way :) As has your skill
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Neox:

that little lady is looking sooooo good. The hands are so real looking in that render its *almost creepy. I`d kill to have that degree of understanding with sub-surface scattering.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hah neox but it shure pays off to wait ! very sexy.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amazing work neox!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Yamo: also wanted to say I love your take on the Doom guy. If you can capture the meathead proportions of the classic end screen (middle left of your refs) I'll be really impressed. We've seen a few close to faithful renditions of that version but I'd be really stoked to see it fully executed on. Nice work, keep it up.

n88tr: it's a trick of scale. The AK74SU is a subgun sized version of an AK rifle with only an 8-inch barrel; I think you're reacting to the weirdness of, say, how giant a 30 rounder mag looks on it. That's the AK. Google pics of "AK74" vs. "AK74SU" or "krinkov" and you'll see what i mean.

ohnomelon: well from one guy trying to get through the sub-d gauntlet to another I sympathize, but I'll meet those challenges when I come to them.

bbob: thanks for the encouragement, I think this is the first model I'll take all the way to a full game-ready state since... well, shit. Since Quake3. :)

Harry: amen to that

rollin: yep going all the way

BeatKitano: realling digging the chick you've done. I think you're executing well on your brief--I like the detailing but all the forms seem pretty well delineated. A definite Mass Effect vibe coming through, I like the knee forms and the "wrap" shoulder shell dealie. Nice work.

Fat_Cap: probably time to call it done, nice work, seems like you've been fussing over this one ages

Neox: I reiterate my suggestion that the finished version get sent to John K, he'd be over the moon about this girl, looks greaaaat

Harry: an unusual look for this guy and I dig it

D R E A M N T: I'm seeing cyborg evening dress more than a sniper right now but that's probably because of the material separation at the moment. Like where it's headed

Aaaand for me some interruptions kept me from making more progress on this but aside from some small detailing on the front sight, the entire muzzle is done. All that's left tomorrow is the fairly serious dust cover detailing plus bolt/action/ejection port area. Come Monday should be ready to bake.

jsj86u.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    first polypaint wip
    KED_FrankenMumm_09.jpg
This discussion has been closed.