Home Stickies

What Are You Working On? 2010 Edition!

Replies

• n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Character modeling thing.

suckg.gif

Tons of mistakes, body disproportions. At least I got something haha. Its more fun than I thought but harder too.
  • struve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    struve polycounter lvl 18
    yip, Christopher Walken :) i'd never done a likeness before, so thought i'd try it out. I'm not sure how close i got.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    thanks guys, tweaked a bit further, now i think i can start working on a retopoed mesh, think about a pose and well if i dress her up or not :D
    and if i even retopo her or not, not sure ^^

- changed the arms thickness in the sideview, but still might need a bit less thickness
    - changed the eyelashes to be wider and thicker
    - added a bit more polypaint
    - worked on the hair further
    - changed the matcaps of skin and hair / need to tweak the colour and specular for the hair matcap, but damn i love matcaps/litspheres for fast previews
    - worked a bit on her hips/thighs more

basicly just tiny subtle stuff but i hope it works better :)

chriss_05.jpg
    and for katana, based on Chris Sanders awesome work :P

thomas: niiice! but i agree on the knees, also maybe her forearm is a bit too long, but its hard to say, could be a perspective thing
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    ZacD wrote: »
    Please tell me its called "fat-life" and this is a spoof of Gordon Freeman. He just needs glasses.

Haha, no. He's our nerdy main character. Suposed to have glases to but it would get a bit hard to morph correct.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I really love the character Neox! I normaly like your style alot, so combining it with Chris's sketches can only improve it!

I was wondering about the feet tho, why did you decide to model them in this pose? Wouldn't this be a hell to rig (if you were planning on rigging her at all) and isn't it just harder to sculpt?
    I mean they do look cute, don't get me wrong. Just wondering why you picked this particular pose.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Neox she's looking great man!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    MeintevdS: because almost all designs and sketched had the feet like that i'm not sure if i'
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox that is simply fantastic. I thought stuff like that would only work in 2D but you really proved me wrong.

Did you start from Zspheres?
  • Raider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raider polycounter lvl 9
    Haven't done much with the lips yet but about 2hrs so far.

face01.jpg
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome Neox, coming along nicely. :)

tgchero.jpg

Time to get modelin'
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fletcher I'm playing Just Cause 2 on the Xbox behind me and you've got the good vibes going on there :) (So good job on that!)

I'd make the crotch more blocky, it's too wide, or it's the shading or something there that doesn't make it feel a 100%.
    Also needs a pack of smokes under his shirt on the shoulder ;)

Edit: Wow, I've been idling in the mountains while I was writing this and my character is now covered in snow!
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Working on a boss character from Muramasa Demon Blade:
    bouzu_03a.jpg
  • artdangle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g0B7mFSysc[/ame]
    I made my very first model in an attempt to contribute to team fortress. Now I find myself modeling for the sheer enjoyment out of this. I had never used Maya or photoshop before now, so bear with me. I want to play around with the textures more, and the Jaw has jigglebones. I was just looking for suggestions or anything really.
  • Holi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holi polycounter lvl 16
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    sexy stuff, Neox.

waskersoldier.jpg
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Nice model, wasker! Only negative thing that captured my eye is that the ears seem to be a little too red, but maybe that's intentional, so...Nice model anyway, the boots are specially cool.
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Sexy chick there neox ;)

My progress for the Cghub competition Production Challenge. Lost of stuff to fix, but the big volumes are almost done now:

wip05.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    that's awesome wasker!
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, just registered after about a year of reading stuff and basically using the site for inspiration,
    anyway besides the formalities, I am working on a bloke, not got a name yet so any suggestions are welcome, still some stuff to fiddle with, poly flow and some work still on the face, crits would be nice, perhaps even a paintover?
    protagonist1.jpg
    protagonist2.jpg
    protagonist3.jpg
    protagonist4.jpg
    protagonist5.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    speed_grunt_000.jpg

About a 1.5-2 hours from a quadsphere in ZB. No references or alphas used, just standard brush & claybrush mostly. I realize...its just yet another muscly bald white dude, but...Crit away please!
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Man....it's been ages since I've posted anything. I've continued by dive into the well of Casual Gaming...In short, I spent the last 6 months working on a Facebook game, Social City. I did the style and direction with Todd Pickens. I also developed the technical pipeline, modeled about half the assets, and did almost all the little animations. That took about 6 months to get launched and has been out for about six weeks. The game has done very well since it launched right before GDC, currently over 13,000,000 Monthly Active Users and 3,200,000 Daily Active Users. Old ladies love to buy buildings. It was fun being at GDC this year since there were banners and crap all over that I could point out to people and be like I worked on that. :)

sc_1680.jpg

Most of the animation was fun and really simple, like this kind of stuff:

http://timaste.com/media/boop_co.html

Other than that, I'm back on a new project (also casual) where I am just starting to lock down the rendering and color guides for the team. I'm not done yet, I forgot the color brown. Anyway, more to do.

Will look something like this:

object_test.png

I've been doing a ton of graphic design too unfortunately which is not my strong suit. :/

page_0%20%5BConverted%5D.png
    blue_shirt.png
  • MattBradley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This screen is a few weeks old now, but I'm still working on it...

DeckLights.jpg

and something else I've added today... You don't really get any sense of it in an image, but these lights spin around at different speeds, making some pretty patterns...

lighttube.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Ajax that is awesome, totally love it. The little animation is so cool :)
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everfallpubfin2-betelgeist.jpg

first environmentoid. got some tips here at pc by usin the ole search function
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome BetelGeist!

Cool stuff, Ajax, looks like it was fun to work on :)
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Scoob - nice!

Ajax - that's very solid work. I hope you are seeing a cut of the revenue.
  • Zoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoid polycounter lvl 14
    Ajax wrote: »
    3,200,000 Daily Active Users.
    well now, grats man. social games are really opening up a ton of fun and opportunity. and i dig the style you guys are pushing.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    speed_grunt_001.jpg

A little more progress. I always jump the gun with color. I like to play that way though. Helps keep the excitement level up for these quick little personal projects. Crit me pls!
  • felipefrango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Cool! I find a little weird that he's got such sad eyes though, haha.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I think you guys misread the thread title - this is not the Thread of Awesomeness.

Seriously though, great stuff on this page! :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Ajax - what did you render this with - mental ray or standard max renderer I am guessing that you built high res models and rendered them to 2d. looks awesome anyway. I have actually played it:)
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, just registered after about a year of reading stuff and basically using the site for inspiration,
    anyway besides the formalities, I am working on a bloke, not got a name yet so any suggestions are welcome, still some stuff to fiddle with, poly flow and some work still on the face, crits would be nice, perhaps even a paintover?
    protagonist1.jpg
    protagonist2.jpg
    protagonist3.jpg
    protagonist4.jpg
    protagonist5.jpg
  • I_R_Hopo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_R_Hopo polycounter lvl 14
    also started working on this. Based off one of Paul Richards Darksiders weapon concepts.

Haha, I started working on the same thing last week. I was confused when I first saw yours. I thought, "I never posted on here before!" I'm excited to see how my work matches up to a pro's :) So far I've got these bits done. I'm quite happy, as I did the front blade-thing bit in a couple hours, which is good compared to how long it would have taken me before. I'm definately speeding up :)

siderender1.jpg
    siderender2.jpg
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    435e3801d6df074807f4711dd80e7.jpg
    I think I will open a thread soon. It begins to need massive feedback..
  • MaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaD polycounter lvl 7
    Where's the beach chair, parasol and cocktail :). It has got a a very vibrant/sunny feeling. The trunks of the palm tree's are a bit to hooky though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Slaught wrote: »
    @woog & jmiles
    I´d hit (people with) it.

Still very wip.
    rob214wip.jpg
    The whole pixel look thing is a lot harder than I thought it would be.

liking this a lot
  • RAWTalent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That beach is looking really nice ParoXum, hah fancy seeing you here :P (small world I guess)
    My bloke is now done as far as I'm concerned, Finished all texture work, including bump maps, fixed some edge flow problems, still needs a name tho

done8.jpg
    done7.jpg
    done6.jpg
    done5.jpg
    done4cwhdg.jpg
    done3i.jpg
    done2.jpg
    done1k.jpg
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    The face is a complete mess, but well, if you get some pictures you could fix the proportions a lil bit more.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    @RawTalent:

Your textures are taken directly from photoreferences (bad), and are misaligned to the geometry in many areas (worse)
    Major problem area's are:
    - The juncture between the neck and head
    - The cuff of the pants
    - The shoes
    And to a lesser extent the ears, and the mouth.

Using photoreference isn't bad, but when you just paste it over area's of the model it really gives it the look of being slapdashed on there. Take some time to investigate what skin looks, what the colors are, and where it's shadowed. Check out any page in this thread to find examples, or run a google search for skin painting/texturing tutorials, and checkout this: http://www.furiae.com/popup.php?text=skintutorial

That split between the neck and the head is terribly obvious. Don't do that. That should be one connected piece, with a consistent matching texture between them.
    Ben Mathis has a bunch of excellent tutorials on modeling, and proper edge looping. Check out some of them here:
    http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/benmathis/benmathis_1.php
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/tutorial.htm

Pay attention to your anatomy. You've got the basics, but your placement is off in alot of areas some in little ways like the face and shoes, and some in larger ways, like the length of your guy's thighs, and the bend in his arm.

Hope this helps; you know the process for modeling, now you just gotta improve your artistic level!
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    Ajax - that looks fantastic! Really well realised and the animations are so charming! I've avoided those casual Facebook games like the plague, but I might have to give this one a go.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ajax that is some fantastic work love the style and effort put into it almost makes me wanna go check it out on facebook hehe
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    that looks wicked paroxum
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys! I make no claims as to how fun the game is, it's pretty much your standard by the numbers FB Farming Game with a few twists. We were targeted the 20-40 year old female soooo... ;)

I appreciate the kind words! Todd P. and I definitely wanted to try to push the boundaries of Flash games a bit with this with the hopes that we can start raising the bar on production values for Facebook games. With any luck after a few more games we'll start breaking the mold on the "farm clone" gameplay too into stuff a bit more interesting.

@ Ruz: Just standard scan-line render out of 3DS Max. Mostly a combination of tweaking a direct light, a skylight, and fun materials. It was a blast to work on because we don't have to unwrap or texture anything, it's all material & color based. Models were high-poly because we are lazy and do a lot edge-loop modeling to make it go fast.
  • premium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    premium polycounter lvl 13
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update...Im onto the door next, Iv kinda been scared to start it with it having all that detail but Im gonna suck it up and get it done.

4550152014_c2e4b96456_o.jpg

few more

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31266066@N04/4521966717/sizes/o/
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    blehsuper-lrg.jpg

Ajax that work really is amazing. Really good job on that stuff.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Moar colour, muzz! S'nice start.

Workin on another master study, fun times!

4550365084_290e61b31c_o.jpg
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Very pretty Jackwhat. :)

Demon blade cyclops:
    bouzu_04.jpg
  • Frogfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little somethin' I've been working on whenever I've had time off school related stuff.finishedgal1.jpg
  • kite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite polycounter lvl 17
    cool work guys, really nice paintings muzz and jackwhat

Mucking about with bobo's brunt sdk made me want to try some old school painted stuff, so i started doodling out a few thumbnails for a cast of sci fi characters with the idea of maybe painting up one. Background is they are part of a mining crew on a giant krupp style platform, which forms a sort of moving township as well.

Was trying out a new workflow for these, which is starting with a sphere, squashing that into shape and remeshing to generate even topology, i love the results, very intuitive to work with and very fast to block out a character. Can even match concept art pretty well with the imageplane function. The miner was doodled out as a messy thumbnail first & the kill frame was just made up on the fly, both are quite awkward in areas, unfinished limbs and need polishing and proper topo+ additions but a fun little experiment. Might try old dom war thumbnails next.

The miner has kind of wonky human proportions but i've rationalised - contracted miners have limbs removed and replaced with interfaces so they can interact with complex mining machinery, hard suits, diggers etc, get plasticky human style prosthetics when they're off duty.

cargoshark_flow.jpg
    cargoshark_decimations.jpg
    cargoshark_doodles.jpg
This discussion has been closed.