Home Contests & Challenges Archives

UC'09 "END GAME" | Black Plastic Glasses | "Wasted Hope" | 3D

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ha, thanks :D

I am going away for the next 2 days (the last time I will have to do this during the contest this year. Grr!) so here's where I am at as I head out:

uc_2009_WIP_02e.jpg
  • danpV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its starting to fill in bit by bit! Be careful about your lighting - where you're standing now feels like a mysterious ghost-lantern is filling the area. Of course all of this is tentative - just also be ready to handle the lights for the background elements.

Enjoy your holiday, sir!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    awespme atmosphere, love those shacks in the bg.

Not much to say about it, except for 2 things:

1) texture on the bottom of metal support beams is mirrored and that kinda pops into my face :P

2) grass looks too thick. Maybe texture could be a bit higher res in order to get thinner grass?

Other than that, great and inspirational progress here !
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The lighting I'm not worried about, its just there for me to see the art in the scene until Carlo's finalized that aspect of the concept.

Mirroring is fine, it'll go away later.

Grass is bothering me too and I'll go back to fix it this weekend :D
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Kinda curious why you're using an opacity mask rather than translucency for your your foliage. From my experiences you only get zsorting isues on flora from one side, you could just flip the normals if so.

Overall the scene's coming together really well!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    Q:
    just wondering if i could SWALLOW YOUR SOUL....er trade secrets......
    is the grass/foliage in the foreground using the default unreal 'foliage actor brush thingy..." or its all your own custom created shrubs and grasses (w/opacity planes and all that) huh?

looking swell - good composition, setting up to look like a painting rather than a generic unreal map :D (a problem i seem to have)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Crazyfingers - Can you elaborate on this for me? I am not well versed in translucent grass. I want it that way but it depth sorts poorly. My grass is hand placed, and it sounds like if I did it your way I'd have to ensure all my grass is facing one direction. That correct? More info would rock!

achmedthesnake - Its hand placed :)

Posted from my hotel!
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope this helps, my biggest recommendation would be to use terrain materials and attach your foliage to that if you haven't already rather than using foliage volumes. Gives you WAY more control over where foliage is found. After opening up my old scene though i remembered how much of a pain the zsorting was, but i still stuck with the translucent flora, felt it was worth it and rarely caused too much of an issue (I really liked the painterly look it gave).

Couple shots, one showing the foliage with minimal zsorting issues and the other showing the setup:

4015456455_0106f6a23f_o.jpg
    You can see some zsorting on the right side of this image. If this were the intended angle for this scene i could have really quickly just painted that flora out with the terrain tools.

4016225564_042aa17180_o.jpg
    The alpha thresholds the important part, tells it what % of that material you need before it places flora in it, basically how hard the falloff is on it. If you want to get tricky with the thresholds you can paint multiple types of flora in the same area if they thresholds are low. By playing with the shades and size of your flora and terrain materials you can get some pretty cool effects, like taller, but more dead looking fora in certain spots, or a terrain material that's rocky and dry with no flora obviously.

For all i know you already have this stuff but i'm sure someone will see this and get something out of it!

Quick edit: Common issue when going to translucency is you'll get a white border at a distance, just gotta thicken up the outline on the alpha a bit till that disappears.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in most cases in games i see foliage done with mask - renders faster and less issues this way.
    Just need to keep an eye on texture res ;)

Btw, one great use of translucent grass i saw in HL2.
    What they did is that on top of actual grass alpha they also added gradient.
    That additional gradient in alpha was making the bottom of grass plane transparent. And it was becoming opaque gradually a bit higher from the bottom.

That made i impossible to see the edge where grass plane meets the ground. So their grass looks so nicely blending into the ground.

With "look at" orientation to the player camera it looked even better :P

But actually in UT i had issues with translucent quite often unfortunately :P But maybe try first to add 8 bit alpha and use "Translucent" in shader properties. See if there will be z-bufer artefacts or no. Sometimes it works fine.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Good call man, turned out great! I'll worry about the errors when I worry about the lighting.

uc_2009_WIP_02f.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Great job, jerk! AH! You are so frustratingly inspiring!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    :)

Quickie max shot of what the shanty's consist of:

uc2009_buildingmagic_01.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Going in, I knew these shanty's wouldn't be used mid-to-background so I came up with the above set of objects to construct the 2 shanty's seen below. I'll use the 2 for now and come back to them closer to the deadline. For what we have planned for the background, these 2 may be enough.
    uc2009_buildingmagic_02.jpg
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    this is coming along great, that last concept is awesome! The girders of the bridge/overhang bothers me though. For how much real estate they're using it's not very interesting to look at.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    As in the concept, they'll be busted up and destroyed :D
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be back here when you do to tell you to bust it up more ;)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, looks pretty practical with those shacks :)
    But now the grass looks kinda lacking density; anyways, it is a wip, it is advancing very nicely.
  • killahk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha i swear i made congragated metal that looks just like that in my demo class for a project!!!! same colors and everything
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    adam question for yah

the terrain are you just using a static mesh you made and importing into unreal?

Or are you using unreal based terrain for this? If your using a static mesh are you setting up a deco layer for your foilage or are you manually placing it?

Just curious how your going about this.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The terrain is Unreal terrain and the foliage is tied to one of the materials being painted onto that terrain.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    adam wrote: »
    foliage is tied to one of the materials being painted onto that terrain.

Makes sense. So it's basically a greyscale grass and it gets it's colored modulated by the terrain mat underneath? They do that in Empire Total War as well. Nifty effect.
    Scene is looking great :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Mm, not quite like that. There's a grass model (single quad, texture) tied to a material. So when I paint that specific material, then the quad is placed. (Density, falloff, etc are all adjustable).
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Foliage is much nicer this time around! Clever shanty kit box =)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This piece is full of win! Looking forward to seeing some lighting.
  • XaKu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XaKu polycounter lvl 9
    this is the sex :)
  • cbalassu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Detailing Progess of Concept..(WIP)

Cheers
    CB_Detailing_WIP01.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Good jerb dude :D I have some work to do!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    adam wrote: »
    Good jerb dude :D I have some work to do!

More like alot of work to do :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Small update from me tonight. Got most of the main forms done in highpoly, with a couple errors to iron out then move on to detailing the main form (the lemon shaped body). Hoping to have this textured and in the scene come Sunday evening.

uc_2009_pod02a.jpg
  • fei-rukawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    my favorite entry =)
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, im going to stick my neck out here and buck the trend. I love your environments Adam and the way in which you go about making them, also i really like the technical efficiency with which you produce them but for me somethings missing from this one. When i look at the concept (even though technically its far better than most in the competition in terms of composition etc, and far more considered) i dont feel compelled to go and explore it. It doesn't really move me as i would have hoped an end game environment probably should and for that reason i feel something is missing.

Now i dont know why this is, if somethings missing or because its relatively generic from a post apoloclyptic stand point. I feel as though i have seen it in games too many times before and as a viewer i have become a bit used to it.

The only reason i post this sort of comment in your thread and not every other post apocolyptic city thread is because i think you will appreciate honest feedback and i think that seeing your previous environments you could push the originality of this one more. I could be jumping the gun and you may have plans to address some things i mentioned? If not it will still be a cool enviroment both technically and artistically but i think you could make more of it to make it really stand out amongst the crowd.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You're right we do appreciate it :D I can see where you're coming from, and I don't exactly DISagree with the statement. (What!?) Mainly because what you're commenting on, is unfinished work. Both my 3D work and concept is unfinished, but Carlo and I both know what we want to do.

Does this negate your comments? No, not entirely. We personally are not worried about 'standing out' once its all said and done.

Thanks fella :D Keep checking back, you might be pleasantly surprised!
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool design, it would be cool if you would have the closest pods door opend and lots of steam and dust coming out from the doorway, as if they are just about to jump out and wreak havoc.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Yea we were talking about doing something like that :D Good idea!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wrapped up the highpoly pass for this. Lot's of the smaller (read: surface) details seen in the concept will come through when I texture it. So far I am on schedule to have the pod entirely finished and placed (DROPPED??? Eh? Eh?) in the scene for some time tomorrow. woot!

uc_2009_pod_highpoly_render01.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why model the bottom part if its not going to be seen in the ground?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't speak for this team, but i remember seeing drop pods in mid air falling to earth. I mainly just wanted to chime in and say that having fully realized assets makes your piece that much stronger, regardless of whether you see it in your scene. Best example i can give is the dominance war VI winner. On first glance i thought his peice was a bit weaker than other's but after diving into his thread, and viewing the video he put out you come to realize LOTS of polish went into that asset that you simply can't appreciate in just a couple screen grabs. Same holds true for this challenge, if all that mattered were the last 2 screenshots i think we'd be seeing a hell of a lot more alpha planes than 3d assets ;)

Edit: Almost forgot, kick arse pod!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    whats_true: A few reasons! crazyfingers talked about some of them, but its also just for fun & practice :D
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    nicely effing done guys.

Lighting needs work to show the depth of the env. But the assets and everything look really great. Keep it up!

Cheers,
    Don
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Great high poly!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Great work so far, Adam. That's a sexy pod there. :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Small update to the wings. Now its time for the in-game mesh!

uc_2009_pod_highpoly_render02.jpg
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Yay.Great job. Looking Forwrad to se that pod baked and textured!
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah nice modeling on the pod :) very interested to see how this comes out
  • cbalassu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a Colour WIP...:)

CB_Colour_02.jpg
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    You guys are doing a sick job, good luck dudes!
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm liking the depth and scale of this scene. Great work on the high poly pod Adam.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    hmm I don't really like that color concept, it lacks color variation on the individual objects, and becomes hard to read. Feel like everything is just desaturated and then overlayed with red. Rather add just some red touches where the fires are, and maybe the sky glowing red