Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unhappy inquisitor

Ai_
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
Hey, Polycount, you're all very pretty today!
Having done a lot of props at work recently I thought I'd love to make a good old humanoid character™. So, here is a Warhammer 40K inspired inquisitor. He is very fashionable and somewhat unhappy, and that's all the backstory I could come up with.
The final model is about 17,000 tris and uses 2048^2 textures.
All your critiques are very very welcome!:)
InquisitorFinalShot2.jpg
InquisitorFinalShot3.jpg

Replies

• Ai_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Well, whatever, gonna post some wires and textures anyway:
    InquisitorWireframe1.jpg
    InquisitorTexturesPreview.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I think he is unhappy do to his short stature. Really like the model, but for some reason the writing on his cloak thingies isn't bright enough. I feel like there should be more of a division between the red and gold.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    The metal parts don't read as metal, ex the gold parts, the pistol, the metal hand, keys etc, and you prob want some golden colored spec for golden parts.
  • Ai_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Selaznog wrote: »
    I think he is unhappy do to his short stature. Really like the model, but for some reason the writing on his cloak thingies isn't bright enough. I feel like there should be more of a division between the red and gold.
    lol that could be the reason. Or all those aggressive demons and aliens make him a bit frowny.
    Well, apparently the metal doesn't seem to work. I'll keep that in mind, thanks.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hurrm, this is moore a crit on the concept rather than the execution, beacuse im a fan of the later.

As a huge fan ( hurts to say that) of warhammer 40k, this dosnt look at all like anything from that universe. What kinds of references where you using?

This would be moore accurate.
    Imperial_Inquisitor.jpg
    20111126191352!OrdoHereticus_Inquisitor.jpg

Also i cant find any Inquisition insignia or icons on your model. You should really look into that.
  • Ai_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    @ Visceral: yeah, I've seen those, thanks. Actually I've used the original Games Workshop concepts and this guy is sort of stitched together out of several of them. Besides, I really dig the "technomedieval" aspect of their style so I removed most of the techy-looking equipment. So' it's definitely non-canon, that's what I'm trying to say. More like W40K inspired.
    Thanks for the feedback tho.
  • Ai_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    Finally managed to work on it a bit more. Fixed the textures, particularly the metal parts. Thx for your crits everyone, guess I'll call it done now:
    InquisitorFinalShot4.jpg
  • Daedalius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He needs a lot more inquisitorial rosettes and skulls to be a 40k inquisitor.

I also am not really a fan of the way you have his mouth; it looks almost comical, a look an Inquisitor in 40k would likely never have on his face.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    @Daedalius: read a couple posts up :P (to be fair I "impulse post" quite a bit myself :P)

Its certainly an interesting piece. Sooo many odd things going on.
    Id say this piece strength is how strange and unusual it is. I hope thats what you were going for.

Some big things I`d work on is how believable your masses are. Right now there is a disconnect for me with his hat. It just seems visualy like the weight is unsupported. Visual balance of forms is not only important for believability, but also for design fundamentals.

Which leads me to my next point-

I feel like the large red banners are obscuring the anatomy to a point where it looks semi-passable, but if they were removed it might take the piece down a peg. It almost feels like the red banners are a crutch to hide poorly constructed body parts.

From what I can see:

His shoulders are extremely wide, and extremely high.
    His legs are super short.
    his crotch is crazy wide.
    He has no neck to the point that his chin is below the top of his shoulders.

I know its too late now- but on your next project, spend some time nailing down proper body construction and anatomical rhythm before moving onto the details.

Thirdly: I think a huge problem with your metals not looking like metals is they have so much bend, and lack of edge definition that it all looks like large chunks of foam. Also, some beveling, even just in the normals, would go a long way towards making that look like metal.

Lastly, I know this is supposed to be stylized with a comedic, cartoon-ish twist, But the lack of fundamentals shows through so much that it ends up just looking wrong. For your next project I recommend working something that will give you some anatomical and design foundation. That way, you can take this foundation and apply it to something stylized, and I think you`ll find the result pleasing.

You clearly have technical ability- now just get dem art nerd muscles kickin ass!
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Does he have two canes? o_O
  • AtomicClucker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the inquisitor needs more grimace, not a hillbilly expression of wonder when examining the bottom of his near empty beer can.

That being said, the inquisitor needs grimace, deep facial lines and carves that expresses sour disappointment and dourness common in the 40k universe.
  • Ai_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ai_ polycounter lvl 6
    @konstruct: thanks for a gigantic piece of advice, dude. All the anatomical exxageration is intentional, of course. For instance, his hands are so big he could grab the back of his head while facepalming. I have a couple realistic (as far as the anatomy concerns) characters so the basics of anatomy are really not what I was going for here:) But apparently I went way overboard with that.