Old (#1)
Hey, this is sort of a dumb question, but I just want to make sure I'm 100% on this before I UV everything on my mech.

If I have a piece that's symmetrical, and I want each side to have the same texture (so I can overlap them in the UV grid and save space), would I need to flip the normals of the UV set I flip over to fit the original? Sorry, kind of hard to explain.

Basically when I have "Toggle shaded uv display" turned on, a UV shell is red. When I flip normals, it goes blue which is good.

However I remember running into troubles with UDK where flipped normals disappeared, but that could have been something else entirely I guess.

If anyone has an answer, that would be great. Thanks
Offline , polycounter, 997 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location British Columbia, Canada Send a message via MSN to Selaznog Send a message via Skype™ to Selaznog  

Old (#2)
^ kill this bot please!

@selaznog : no, you don't need to flip normals. The mirrored UVs *should* be red. How did you create the mirrored geometry? If it was by duplicating the original then using negative scale you'll need to do a bit of cleanup. First off, freeze tranforms. Then do normals>reverse. Finally, bring up the object's attributes, under the render tab uncheck "opposite".
Offline , polycounter, 931 Posts, Join Date Dec 2004, Location Edinburgh, Scotland  

Old (#3)
Thanks CheeseOnToast, that helps alot. And the geometry wasn't mirrored, it was just a shape I made with create polygon tool
Offline , polycounter, 997 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location British Columbia, Canada Send a message via MSN to Selaznog Send a message via Skype™ to Selaznog  

Old (#4)
And just to make sure, this is what my model and it's UV's look like now

So this is acceptable, yes?

Old (#5)
totally acceptable.
Offline , polycounter, 1,199 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location South Dakota Send a message via ICQ to throttlekitty Send a message via AIM to throttlekitty Send a message via Yahoo to throttlekitty  

Old (#6)
Thanks!