Author : tsmith3d

Old (#1)
Hey Guys,
I'm new to polycount, Wanted to join the fun and post something I started on. I'll be posting screencaps as I progress... Any feedback is most definitely welcomed!
Offline , vertex, 28 Posts, Join Date May 2012,  

Old (#2)
Do you have a block out done? Jumping into that much detail quickly could cause some proportion issues later on.
"I greatly appreciate any advice, tips, tricks, knowledge, feedback and/or any critique on my work." Thanks!
Portfolio - Associate Environment Artist @ Crystal Dynamics.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,353 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location San Jose  

Old (#3)
Bardler,
I hadn't thought of that... I'll work on a block out first. Thanks for the input!

Old (#4)
Ok, so this is a VERY blocked out version... I'll keep working on it!

Last edited by ewHurtado; 05-24-2012 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: Reposting image

Old (#5)
Unfortunately I only have but so much time to work on this, but I will try to have regular updates! Not that there is much to look at, but what do you guys think so far?

Old (#6)
Looks pretty solid! Are you going to join the palmrests with the main body?
Offline , polycounter, 1,140 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location South Dakota Send a message via ICQ to throttlekitty Send a message via AIM to throttlekitty Send a message via Yahoo to throttlekitty  

Old (#7)
ThrottleKitty,
Yeah, I'm gonna try to anyway... Trying to get it as close to the real thing as possible. I want get a nice render via mental ray.
Thanks for the comment!

Old (#8)
I saw this at malcolm's website,hope it can be of help to you and hope malcolm does not mind me posting this!

http://www.malcolm341.com/ps2controllerbig.htm
Offline , null, 15 Posts, Join Date May 2012,  

Old (#9)
Pumpkin,
Thanks for the link, Malcolms' PS2 Controller looked great! Also enjoyed taking a glance at the wireframe, that's always helpful!

Old (#10)
Ok, so started piecing some parts together. The most tedious part is the palmrest, I think its coming along nicely, but then again its past three in the morning, and im tired... So you guys be the judges... Gonna continue with the bottom portion. Pretty much my plan is adding all the details that will be mirrored over... Then once I have completed the three main parts, i'll start merging the button "cross" sections and so on.

Old (#11)
Looking at my own controller, the R2 and L2 trigger have a bit of a lip on the bottom and top.
Offline , triangle, 311 Posts, Join Date May 2012, Location CA  

Old (#12)
FullSynch,
Yeah, your right. Right now I'm just focusing on the palmrest, i think thats the hardest part on the model, but once i have both the top and bottom palmrest done, you can bet i'll work on the the trigger btn sections, that area is just blocked out for right now........ But Soon...
Thanks for the comment!

Old (#13)
Blocking out the bottom section. Gotta tweak the part just under the btns, i dont think i have the curve in the mesh just right... I'll keep at it!

Old (#14)
Ok, so its been several days, so i apologize... Heres an update, added more detail to the top half...

Old (#15)
ok, So the model is almost complete... What do you guys think, any final suggestions? Some areas are still separated from the rest of the body, still need to work on the bottom area, near the trigger btn. and need to do the mini usb...

Old (#16)
How did you get it to look so smooth? Did you smooth preview by pressing 3?

Sorry,Im just getting started in Maya
Offline , vertex, 48 Posts, Join Date Jan 2012,  

Old (#17)
Joe,
Hey, thanks for the reply! Yes, I do use smooth preview quite a bit... I generally like working low poly, and just spam 3 to see how it will hold up...
Now, that being said, I did jump the gun when i first started, as BARDLER has pointed out earlier on... Just got excited, I'm only human.
Hope to see some of your work on here soon!

Old (#18)
Finished modeling the controller... I will start unwrapping and texturing next weekend, unless I get any feedback regarding proportions or any flaws.
Let me know what you guys think so far!

Last edited by ewHurtado; 06-23-2012 at 05:21 AM..

Old (#19)
A couple of differences I noticed just from holding my PS3 controller up to the screen and comparing:
1. The horizontal bar between the two halves of the controller is not as tall as you have it
2. The handles are longer, thinner and taper more towards the end
3. The face of the PS button is slightly curved where yours looks to be completely flat
4. The screw and small hole on the back of the controller in the middle between the two shoulders are mirrored in your model

Last edited by nofacej; 06-23-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Offline , line, 95 Posts, Join Date May 2010,  

Old (#20)
nofacej,
Thanks for the swift reply!
I see what you mean about the palmrests. As far as the PS BTN is concerned, I believe the reason why it looked flat is b/c there is some pixelation happening.
The horizontal bar you mentioned, You mean, just bring it down on the Y axis? Which image were you referring to? Front, Back , Both, Top?
Thanks again for the reply!

Last edited by ewHurtado; 06-23-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old (#21)
I think you've done a pretty good job with setting up a basic lighting scene to show off the model. I think a lot modelers forget about the importance of understanding lighting and rendering.
Offline , null, 1 Posts, Join Date Jun 2012,  

Old (#22)
HAIRGROW,
Sweet, I appreciate that! I spent a few hours watching/reading up on some basic lighting tuts before i posted it.
Thanks for the comment!

Old (#23)
Made several tweaks, apart from the ones depicted below and now I'm moving on to unwrapping and texturing...
Very excited to move on to textures!

Old (#24)
Ok, so while i was texturing, i noticed some more minor issues, that required me to re-unwrap some sections, but fortunately it didn't take long to get back on track...
It took me a while to locate a few fonts, still needs some work, but so far so good... Just placing text for now, to see how things line up. (Hence the tweaks)

Old (#25)
Looks really nice so far how will you go about doing the texture of the controller? material in 3ds or all in The texture image?
Offline , polygon, 590 Posts, Join Date Jan 2010, Location Sweden