Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel WIP Thread - Ork Killa Kan

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, me again. I need to start working on something other than my fantasy town...so I'm doing something sci fi for my second demo reel piece!

It's going to be an Warhammer 40k Ork Killa Kan because a.) their freaking sweet and b.) I fuggen love orks.

So far, I've been using reference of the parts via bitz websites, but I might actual buy the real life model of this so it's easier.

This is the goal:
m890360a_99120103024_OrkKillaKans3_873x627.jpg

With a style similar to this:
technomage.jpg
(by Jonathan Fletcher...the man is a genius, I swear)

Today I modeled the foot and leg, mainly using this pic for reference:
83919_md-Kan%20feet%20%26amp%3B%20legz.jpg

Once I clean it up a bit more (tie off the tops of the cylinders, hunt for unnecessary polys, etc) this leg will be at 1500 tris.

aafaefa_by_julionicoletti-d50wd3g.png
(EDIT) I am not baking a normal map, that's why I don't have all the details. Everything is going to be hand painted, with overlays of grunge materials.

Is 20k tris reasonable for a vehicle you could use in a current gen console game (like Halo)?

Anyways, hope you guys don't mind me having another thread (didn't want this in my fantasy one because that would just get confusing)

Thanks!

Replies

• Reventius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reventius polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like you nailed all of the major components of the lower leg so far, and the silhouette reads well. The one thing that I notice is off though is the way you modeled the ends of the talons / claws. You have them start to taper off on the top edge as they approach the tip, whereas on the model they pretty much maintain their width for the entire top edge and only taper off towards the bottom edge. Other than that, looks good man. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Reventius, and I see what you mean about the claws. Originally I was going to keep it true to the claws on the model, but sharp talons are more of a personal design choice. Just feels more badass :P

Here's an update

sregdrrf_by_julionicoletti-d50z2yq.png

***EDIT***

I don't think this really deserves a bump because I havent done much so I'll just pop this right in here :P

Some more work (shoulderpads/backpack engine things)
    sfsefs_by_julionicoletti-d510avr.png

And here's a wireframe
    dwddw_by_julionicoletti-d510atv.png

Next step is going to be deciding on what types of arms to add. After that, I'll do the UV's/clean the polys off, and get this bad boy ready for rigging.

Comments and crits welcome

PS: How are the renders? Should I keep that setup for final wireframe renders? This will be on my website, so please, tell me if it's presentable
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, so finished the modeling. Just need to do the UV's and optimize the tri count and I'll be ready for rigging/textures

Comments and crits welcome:

sdvsdv_by_julionicoletti-d518cwz.png

sfvsfvfds_by_julionicoletti-d518cvn.png

sfdvfsdvf_by_julionicoletti-d518ctv.png
  • ro-zee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is looking exceedingly badass, i'll be watching for some equally badass textures ;) Nice work!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah man this is awesome!!!!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh im loving this thread right now :D Dont dissapoint me with the texture work when the model is this awesome!
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visceral wrote: »
    Oh im loving this thread right now :D Dont dissapoint me with the texture work when the model is this awesome!
    :poly142::poly142::poly142:!
  • JoeCyriac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff! Waiting for textures!
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Awesome i love killa kan's, looking forward to see the texturing
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    It's funny how everytime this thread gets bumped I check it out immmediatly in the hope of seeing a first glimpse of the texture work ^^

The model looks great, only small thing that is bothering me is that it seems like the shoulderpads don't really seem to have some sort of connection to the body or a place that they are attached to.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for all the positive feedback guys! And holy pressure Batman, I'll do my best to not let you guys down :D

@Joe, yeah I noticed the same thing. Thanks for pointing that out. On the actual model there doesn't seem to be any supports there, so I'll have to improvise.

UVing is taking absolutely FOREVER. Took me hours and all I managed to lay out was half an arm. I'm hoping I get faster at that.

In the mean time, today I tried painting a hypothetical metal texture. It's not a piece on the model, just a shape I made in PS. A dry run, if you will

sdvsrgr_by_julionicoletti-d51h0ju.png

Things for my next metal attempt:
    -More contrast
    -Rust drips
    -Figure out how the hell to do the sides of a metal panel.

Any critiques you guys have would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully in a few days this guy will be UV'd and ready to rock and roll
    Thanks!

EDIT: A couple more tests/colour variations
    eefeef_by_julionicoletti-d51hf4a.png
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    They look great, but I would like to see some more varied colors. It's all just a little too earthy.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    That's awesome :D Can't wait to see more of this :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great so far!
  • Visceral
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is really cool :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch wrote: »
    They look great, but I would like to see some more varied colors. It's all just a little too earthy.

Thanks, that's a really good tip. On my next test I shall try that out. I don't want to get too colourful with just the basic metal material though, as there will be lots of glyphs, words and maybe a pin-up ork girl painted on ;)

Thanks for all the positive feedback, it's very encouraging :)
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Nice modeling man, and those paint studies are looking good too. I think they could use some color variation though, for example putting some yellows and blues into the green. As for contrast, maybe you could cheat a little bit :) and use levels/curves adjustments in photoshop.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks daphz, for the levels curves idea, I'll probably end up using that a lot ;)

Finished the UVs today and holy shit that took forever
    advsdevds_by_julionicoletti-d522iuy.png

How does the layout look for the body? I plan on having two 1024x1024 maps and another smaller map for the weapons. The UVs on the right aren't the final layout yet. Trying to figure out a way to fit them better still.

I did a SUPER rough pass of the colour scheme on the lower jaw.
    sfdgregre_by_julionicoletti-d522ir5.png

I went with the metal colour from the fourth piece in the first picture above ^
    It's sort of yellow/purple.

Not sure if want.

Any colour scheme advice would be hot.

Other materials on this model:
    -Painted metal (red, yellow, or white)
    -dark metal (for large pieces)
    -light metal (for smaller pieces)
    -tattoos/decals (for more colour variation)
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Hey! Awesome! I LOVE orks XD this is fantastic to see!

Gonna get a little nerdy on you here- do you know what clan you're going with? That really becomes important when it comes to color scheme and symbols you use (if you care about lore at all). The moons you've got there are part of the bad moonz, which are very yellow dominant. When I played I ran with the evil sunz since red makes vehicles go faster- I'm not sure if killa kans count as vehicles though.

Whatever the case- make it Orky! :)

Edit: Just to add- you can always do whatever colorscheme you want and say it's part of a feral ork clan. Dunno if using symbols would jive with that though.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Why you no go with Polypaint for Texturing ?
    Good Work man !

/is it rendered with Turtle ?
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OrganizedChaos: The nerdiness is welcome, as Orks were my second army back in the days of tabletop gaming (oh how I miss them so). I was planning on my klan being Bad Moonz because I've always really loved the orangy-yellow colour scheme mixed with rusty metal. Plus, Flash Gitz are my favorite unit ;)

My main colour concern is for the pieces that aren't yellow, though I think I decided that I'll tackle the painted bitz first and then find a metal colour that matches nicely.

@Alphavader: poly paint for texturing? Ehhhh I don't know...seems like it might be a bit of a hassle. I'm much more comfortably with photoshop right now :/ I have been importing the .obj into PS and painting on it though, just to draw out the AO and seams on the model

And it was rendered in mental ray and that last screenshot was mayas viewport
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to see updates man! haha, I keep checking on this thread love how its going :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then an update you shall recieve:

adsfsfs_by_julionicoletti-d5429zd.png

So, I would like your guys' thoughts on the metal texture as well as the painted metal texture (the only textures Ive done so far)

Also, does the rust look enough like rust?

And does my metal look too much like stone?
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was quick! haha. Textures looking good man, think it just needs abit more contrast, maybe try using the dodge tool, just on where the edges of the metal are to give it abit more shine. Think its looking good though. Can always tweak the levels to add more contrast once your finished anyway. Keep it up! :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, thanks! Yeah, I'll probably go over everything with a contrast an colour adjustment near the end because I did a few tests with it and it really makes it pop better
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, small update here. Just deciding on the final shot for my reel. Ideally I'd like to have someone at the school here animate him walking up the cliff. But that might not happen and if it doesn't I'll just have him posed on the cliff like this
    thoughts?
    sddsefsd_by_julionicoletti-d54c15q.png
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Compositionally, it's split almost right down the middle with all the mass and interest on the left side. I'd play around with camera angles a bit more, maybe look up at it a bit more?
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh the metal looks fantastic. But plz sir, moore updates!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks JMYoung for the good advice, I shall fix that in my final shot. Didn't even notice that at first.

Visceral, thanks, and here's an update

Rather than doing an entire environment for him, I decided on a display base sort of thing. Here's the concept and the base after it
    srdgdeer_by_julionicoletti-d55ljuy.png
    sfefe_by_julionicoletti-d55ljrt.png

Here's an update on the texturing so far
    gasgadsr_by_julionicoletti-d55ljtg.png
    cacasdc_by_julionicoletti-d55lk5i.png

And I was playing with a spec map. Thoughts? I dont want it to distract from all the painting I'll have done, but it does look pretty nice
    csdfsd_by_julionicoletti-d55lk6d.png

And here's a preview of my dark future. Wish me luck.
    vdsvfsdfv_by_julionicoletti-d55lk7p.png

dat intimidation.

Thanks for looking!
  • tombombadil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to give this Kan some trophies as orks are very trophy oriented. Yes im geeking out as I play orks my bad >.< BUT a Banner Pole or some spikes with a space marine helmet skewered through would give the Kan so much more characteristic to it. Again I love the idea of using Clan Colors even Glyphs. Im just thinking some more back story for us table top game enthusiast. Nevertheless I love the direction so far. - keep on Stompin away!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update!
    Today I worked on the arm, and I'm happy with how it's looking so far (can't wait to get a spec map on everything after)

On the left is my original painted texture, and on the right is the same texture but with a galvanized metal texture overlayed. What do you guys think?

dascvsvdsfvs_by_julionicoletti-d55w1mk.png

(if it looks too rocky right now, with the spec I'm sure it will look more like metal)
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Judging from the ref the whole model calls for more chunkiness. The body is too small compared to the limbs and the weapons should be a bit exaggerated as well. Basically make most things thicker.

Texture samples look steady so far. I'd suggest to just block in the colours of everything before being concerned about material definition. Define the layers of paint, metal etc first.

EDIT: Dooh! I missed there was a second page. Well, hope my little crit was helpful or something...
    Looks like steady progress on those textures so far. Will watch with interest.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AimBiz, I've been chunky-ing it as a go. Thanks for the advice, really helps

Update time! First of all, I scrapped the first base I made and decided on an ork fort instead. Here's the ref
    svsvs_by_julionicoletti-d570cj7.png

And here's the stuff I've made
    aefasef_by_julionicoletti-d570c5r.png

And here's where my textures are at so far. Still a bit more to do on the body, and I need to figure out a way to separate peices so they dont looks so noisy.

Crits and comments welcome
    wipmech_by_julionicoletti-d570c77.png
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the new metal. Also, Dat Ass :D awesome! Keep em coming.
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really awesome, and liking the fact you have done it hand painted style. I am doing an ork piece as well and decided to do it handpainted but trying to emulate the look of it painted in real life so probably less detail than this :P.

Also really like the idea of making some terrain for it to be on, I guess a bit like how the models are :).

Sweet work, keep it up.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Why is the high res texture darker and less saturated?

Anyway, looking awesome. Looking forward to more!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Selaznog you are rocking this piece man. It looks awesome!!!

Some great hand painted textures which just backs up the character of the killer kan (Also I noticed you've controlled yourself and have not added any OTT blood splashes everywhere).

Keep us updated with future progress man!
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuff's coming along nicely! I'm liking those fort base pieces.

For making things less noisy you should consider where your focal points are and adjust values accordingly. Think about where scratches, dirt and tear would be instead of putting it all over the place.
    You should definitely start at the paint chipping. Those parts are doesn't suit the stylized theme. You should simplify them.

I think the main issue comes down to lighting though. Right now it's pretty even all over it. You could experiment with baking down light or simply darken down areas that you'd like to push backward.
    I can recommend this article from the Dota2 team about how they handle values to make the characters read well.
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterArtGuide.pdf
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments everyone!

@l.croxton: My advice for you is go easy on the hand painted texturing; holy crap it's time consuming! Only put details where you need to, because it can get really noisy really fast (that's one thing I would do differently if I were to re-do this)
    Your tank is coming along nicely by the way, very orky

@MeintevdS: Hm...I think I forgot to change brightness and saturation on the low res texture...the higher res one is the sort of darkness I'm aiming for. Should be an easy fix

@Di$array: Thanks! Actually, I completely forgot about blood splatters...Maybe I'll add a little bit to the saw blade

@AimBiZ: Thanks AimBiZ for the great advice. I had a look through that Dota2 art guide and it was very useful. I think I'll try and find a way to make another texture that overlays my diffuse via a layered material, and then I can use that to add AO and colour variation to break up the noisyness (as well as a gradient)

Finished texturing all my prop pieces! Only took two workdays or so (it probably shows that I rushed to get these done...but these aren't going to be the focus so I'm not too worried about that.)

Diffuse only...Probably add a spec if I have time to. Also, tonight as a reward I'm gonna have fun and build some more structures with the pieces I have :D

(EDIT: Hope it's okay I put the polycount guy on that sign...everyone in this community is a huge help so it's a bit of a tribute I guess. I can take it off if you'd like me to though)

ork_stuff_by_julionicoletti-d57e2m4.png
  • whynot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks very cool!

One thing that stands out to me is the hose on his right arm. It's very striped at the moment. If you're going to paint it, maybe just put a few scratches on the part that sticks out the furthest like he scraped it along a wall or something.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not much of an update, but here's a screenshot (with some PS post processing.)

Overall I did this entire level in a week, which I'm pretty happy about even though it's mainly cubes

level_screen_by_julionicoletti-d57ia0y.png
  • Azkur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Azkur polycounter lvl 8
    looks nice man! keep going!
  • beaulamb1992
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking awesome!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Finally got this beast rigged and animated (not by myself unfortunately)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_r7mgGL2Zs&quot;]Killa Kan walk cycle (WIP scene) - YouTube[/ame]
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Daaagh so cool. I think he needs FAR more yellow- (I dont think grey should be the dominant color scheme) And it could just be the lighting in the renders, but your darkest darks look far too dark, making for what looks like 100% black in certain parts when the model is in shadow.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    lovely model. and lovely animation!
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome job on the model man, and props to whoever rigged and anim'd him for you, they did a great job too.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! @konstruct: fixed the colour of the metal more...went for a more uniform old metal look. I still have to redo all the yellow on the armour so it looks like the limbs though :P
    I'm having troubles with the specular right now...It looks fine in maya, but in UDK it's super soft on everything, like all my pieces have softened normals.

Spent all day making a flamethrower...Totally worth it, because Im way more comfortable with UDKs Cascade

Let me know what you think

ewfrf_by_julionicoletti-d5ar42d.png

Changes I need to do:
    -stretch the flames at the beginning so they look more liquid
    -have them go up near the end of the flamethrower
    -add a light
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with konstruct. Looking at the reference on the first page I think you should go for a similar color distribution, so full yellow on the body. You could also try purple up the metal parts slightly as it's complementary to yellow although not sure if it will look good.