Home Technical Talk

Quad Chamfer Modifier released

obliviboy
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
obliviboy polycounter lvl 12
qchamfermod.jpg
qchamfervar.jpg

The Quad Chamfer modifier produces all quad chamfers, unlike the normal 3ds Max chamfer which produces a lot of triangles and ngons.

It is the succesor of the Quad Chamfer maxscript, improving on by:

Speed. Being a native c++ plugin now it allows you to modify chamfers in real time.

Control. You can determine the look of your chamfers by controling their sharpness/roundness.

Robustness. A robust new algorithm allows you to chamfer any edge combinations without unpredictable results.

Flexibility. You don’t have to commit to any chamfer, you can always change them later.

Workflow. With the new “Use Smoothing Groups” option you can chamfer the sharp edge between smoothing groups. This allows you to go under the Quad Chamfer modifier and make changes to the topology without destroying your chamfers.

More here http://www.mariussilaghi.com/qchamfermod.htm
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBoA5zmky2w"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.0 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVd6oFsZRs"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.02 - Quad Intersections - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3tcG9JwRg"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.04 - Variable Chamfers - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    This is outstanding dude.Reminds me of those nurbs fillets hehe.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Sweet! Also double awesome, only $10 to upgrade from the MAXScript! Thanks man!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    oh wow, 10 Euros will be shooting your way shortly. Looks awesome!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Amazing, would have saved me so much time in the past.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, used your script for some time now and upgraded to this a sec ago :)
  • The Flying Monk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Flying Monk polycounter lvl 18
    You had me sold at using smoothing groups.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww yeah.. especially the smoothing group option is so nice!
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Does it do anything special with UVs? It could be usefull for some environemnt trims if it automatically made straightened tile UVs.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    NOW?! NOW?! now that i chamfered 3 days straight through a complex piece of geometry NOW you give me that? :D nice one, instant buy - lets see how it handles triangles or poles, your script from time to time errored so i had to do it by hand on some pieces :(

AWWW MAN AWWW MAN it works almost perfectly not entirely but really does a great job
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bug report of sorts:

when I collapse the modifier into an Edit Poly, and go into edge mode, some edges will be pre-selected. Now, any undo will simply result in deletion of those edges.

also, it did crash on me when i tried the open chamfering while dicking around last night.

i'm using max 2012, 64 bit on a windows 7 machine.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you very much for you kind words.

I released 1.01 today, you should have gotten the email with the update.

1.01 - Fixes a crash when chamfering around triangles or n-gons
    Computron wrote: »
    Does it do anything special with UVs? It could be usefull for some environemnt trims if it automatically made straightened tile UVs.
    I didn't program it to do anything special to the uvs. But is does something to them as a side effect, don't know if this is what you are looking for. See the image below.

chamferunwrap.jpg
    Neox wrote: »
    NOW?! NOW?! now that i chamfered 3 days straight through a complex piece of geometry NOW you give me that? :D nice one, instant buy - lets see how it handles triangles or poles, your script from time to time errored so i had to do it by hand on some pieces :(

AWWW MAN AWWW MAN it works almost perfectly not entirely but really does a great job
    What doesn't work perfectly, maybe I can fix it?
    cptSwing wrote: »
    bug report of sorts:

when I collapse the modifier into an Edit Poly, and go into edge mode, some edges will be pre-selected. Now, any undo will simply result in deletion of those edges.

also, it did crash on me when i tried the open chamfering while dicking around last night.

i'm using max 2012, 64 bit on a windows 7 machine.
    I tried to reproduce the first issue with the collapsing but no luck. It would be great if you could send me a max file with that problem.

I think 1.01 fixes your second issue with max crashing. Let me know if it crashes again.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll try reproducing it tomorrow myself before I bother you ;-)

Spent some more time with this today, and the combination of chamfering around smoothing groups and slapping a turbosmooth modifier on top is amazing. I'll have to adjust my workflow a little bit, but for simpler meshes it's a godsend (especially since you retain your lowpoly base). It's real quick and works much better as a modifier. Autodesk should hire you :D
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Always fantastic work, thanks!!
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome , I always have to go manually editing the annoying little triangles that are created .. where I download ? is it free?

Oh I just saw is not free ...

Don't you think 30 usd is too much for the lugin ? :( ...
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA wrote: »
    Awesome , I always have to go manually editing the annoying little triangles that are created .. where I download ? is it free?

I think it is too cheap.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    NAIMA wrote: »

30 seems pretty fair, this sort of thing takes a lot of work. and the 10euro upgrade is also very nice.

The modifier seems pretty usefull but is there any way to have it work with editable poly aswell?
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    30 seems pretty fair, this sort of thing takes a lot of work. and the 10euro upgrade is also very nice.

The modifier seems pretty usefull but is there any way to have it work with editable poly aswell?
    It can be done somehow. I will give it a look, but I can't promise anything.
  • Rigoberto1
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Amazing! Thank you.
    (why didn't I have this years ago :poly121:)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    obliviboy wrote: »
    It can be done somehow. I will give it a look, but I can't promise anything.

appreciated :) what I've seen so far is really great. nice work dude.
  • lysaara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara polycounter lvl 9
    Aww hell this looks really nice, if only it was for Maya too!
  • Timmywithag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timmywithag triangle
    Stuff like this make me glad I started learning 3ds max.

Excellent work!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Had it for a week, works like a charm since 1.01 it seems. (it crashed sometimes before with open edges/sgs options)
  • dr jekyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lysaara wrote: »
    Aww hell this looks really nice, if only it was for Maya too!

Hate to seem nasty but if someone in maya's community published this it would probably be free.

Not that I begrudge anyone making anything from their hard work but it really goes along way in boosting ones appreciation for the open source communities generous spirit.
    The nice thing about paying for something is that I feel entitled to bitch and moan about every little thing because now I become entitled with baby faced nerd rage.

On the other hand if this was published free for Maya it would probably be a script.
    But then again it would now probably be a python script where performance is now negligible for a tool like this and one does not have to feel hostage to the whims of the authors particular timetable everytime there is a new version of the parent application.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I bought the quad chamfer plug in a few weeks ago. It has saved me a lot of stress!!! A bit different then this as its not a modifier. I love it.

Easily worth the money. Thanks again!
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I released version 1.02.

1.02 - Adds a Quad Intersection option to remove n-gons and triangles at intersecting edges

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVd6oFsZRs"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.02 - Quad Intersections - YouTube[/ame]
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ shut it, bot.

new version looks great.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    This looks very interesting, but one thing is stopping me from purchasing it:

Can you work on the editable poly level UNDER your modifier, like adding new geo/changing geo affecting the chamfered edges created by your modifier ?

This looks very useful but I'm affraid everything goes to hell if you touch your chamfered edge under the modifier.

Now prove me wrong and you sell another license :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    This looks very interesting, but one thing is stopping me from purchasing it:

Can you work on the editable poly level UNDER your modifier, like adding new geo/changing geo affecting the chamfered edges created by your modifier ?

This looks very useful but I'm affraid everything goes to hell if you touch your chamfered edge under the modifier.

Now prove me wrong and you sell another license :)

Yes you can.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So this is as awesome as I think for hardsurface Paroxum ? Do you confirm ? Like making a block out and almost finalizing it on the fly ?
  • Octo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Octo polycounter lvl 17
    Smoothing groups aren't topology dependent so yes.
    I've been using this technique for years, although I've used edgechex since that was the only option previously.
    This one looks better though. Here's an example of how you can work with it.
    http://www.mattiasmagito.com/misc/Edgechex_Example.jpg
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I don't know about smoothing group chamfering but the "standard" way don't work well with editing geometry under the modfier. And I experienced my first crash in litteraly under 5 minutes after the first start.

I'll use it, but for those who didn't bought the chamfer script (10 bucks for the modifier upgrade is not too bad) it's not that an obvious choice.

Thanks for the work.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I don't know about smoothing group chamfering but the "standard" way don't work well with editing geometry under the modfier. And I experienced my first crash in litteraly under 5 minutes after the first start.

I'll use it, but for those who didn't bought the chamfer script (10 bucks for the modifier upgrade is not too bad) it's not that an obvious choice.

Thanks for the work.

I released 1.03 which adds an option to chamfer by edge weights which is more powerful and easier than the chamfer by smoothing group option.
    Everybody who bought or upgraded the plugin should have received this update.

Watch to video below to see the chamfer by edge weights option in action.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0UYIrRERWI"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.03 - Chamfer by Edge Weights - YouTube[/ame]
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, you're pumping out those updates with the quickness. Seems I now need to incorporate edge weights into my workflow, heh.

BeatKitano: For not-too-complicated hard surface shapes, it's pretty sweet. I've been using it for the last couple of days, and basically my modifier setup is Quad Chamfer on top of an Editable Poly, and Turbosmooth on top. Set the Chamfer modifier to use smoothing groups, and basically all you need to do is set your smoothing groups in the Editable Poly and tweak the settings in the Chamfer modifier.

Obviously it's a 'blanket' solution, so every hard edge will be chamfered the same and that might not be what you need. Incorporating Edge weights might be very helpful here.

As you might suspect, your low poly base is very easy to make game ready without having to delete countless edge loops. Saved me tons of time today!
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can somebody do a video demonstration of quad chamfer with voice. I would do it myself but English isn't my native language.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't try it yet but 1.03 looks much more useful with weighted edges. I didn't like the previous version because you have to retain your edge selection to keep your chamfer, and when working on the editable poly it's a pain. So good call on this new option.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obliviboy wrote: »
    Can somebody do a video demonstration of quad chamfer with voice. I would do it myself but English isn't my native language.

Give me the script for free and I will do it with my best Morgan Freeman impression.
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    Hey man think you could implement a variable radius for the chamfer ? That would be crazy rite ?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The weight option is awesome and you can actually work with the modifier on now, but I've a small request, could you make the amount slider per edge ?
    I mean that would solve the "all edge look the same" effect.

Because right now if you want to vary your chamfers all around you have to collapse the stack to add another quad chamfer on top which defeats the whole purpose of the modifier.

Or maybe a x weight inputs, so we can use x values on the editable poly which should be enough variations to get a pretty nice chamfering.

But I'm much more pleased than with the 1.02, so good job !
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Give me the script for free and I will do it with my best Morgan Freeman impression.
    Thanks you, PM sent.
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Hey man think you could implement a variable radius for the chamfer ? That would be crazy rite ?
    I have been working on such a thing such.
    The weight option is awesome and you can actually work with the modifier on now, but I've a small request, could you make the amount slider per edge ?
    I mean that would solve the "all edge look the same" effect.

Because right now if you want to vary your chamfers all around you have to collapse the stack to add another quad chamfer on top which defeats the whole purpose of the modifier.

Or maybe a x weight inputs, so we can use x values on the editable poly which should be enough variations to get a pretty nice chamfering.

But I'm much more pleased than with the 1.02, so good job !
    Thank you. A variable chamfer would solve the issues with all the edges looking the same.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    dr jekyll wrote: »
    Hate to seem nasty but if someone in maya's community published this it would probably be free.

Not that I begrudge anyone making anything from their hard work but it really goes along way in boosting ones appreciation for the open source communities generous spirit.
    The nice thing about paying for something is that I feel entitled to bitch and moan about every little thing because now I become entitled with baby faced nerd rage.

On the other hand if this was published free for Maya it would probably be a script.
    But then again it would now probably be a python script where performance is now negligible for a tool like this and one does not have to feel hostage to the whims of the authors particular timetable everytime there is a new version of the parent application.

This is kind of funny to me, because when I switched to Maya from max for a feature film, I kept trying to find small scripts to replicate either basic functionality that had been in every other software since the 90s, or useful add ons from max. Either they didn't exist at all (and 4-5 did for max) or in the case of the best one, NEX, it was 150 USD. So not sure your screed rings true.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is kind of funny to me, because when I switched to Maya from max for a feature film, I kept trying to find small scripts to replicate either basic functionality that had been in every other software since the 90s, or useful add ons from max. Either they didn't exist at all (and 4-5 did for max) or in the case of the best one, NEX, it was 150 USD. So not sure your screed rings true.

Exactly. I have to use Maya at work now, and I've just gone back to max for the most part. Too many simple tools are missing/not free/are scripts. Plus they just don't work or will cause production issues.

Not to mention a ton of other bugs I run into daily using Maya. You can't even f***ing select an object half the time, because it just misses and goes right through, unless you view the geo at a certain angle.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And this is how autodesk killed the beast by simply letting her hands rot.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mlichy: ouch. Painfully true.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qchamfervar.jpg
    Variable Chamfers
    in 1.04

1.04 - Improves the Chamfer by Edge Weights option by allowing variable chamfers

- Fixes a crash when open chamfering with turbosmooth on top

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3tcG9JwRg"]Quad Chamfer Modifier 1.04 - Variable Chamfers - YouTube[/ame]
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice, I'll have to test it some more when I get back from work but it looks promising. Thanks !
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing around with the edge weights, it's some slick stuff, but you should mention that you need a crease value higher than one for it to work as that's not the default.

I got some sample assets ready and ill get to work on that video tomorrow mourning.

Has any other app had a similar workflow to this were you auto generate your support loops in a seperate layers or level on a stack? This is some Dynamesh level of innovation. AWESOME MODIFIER.:):thumbup:
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Btw you fixed the crash I had at first launch. Tnx.
  • obliviboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing around with the edge weights, it's some slick stuff, but you should mention that you need a crease value higher than one for it to work as that's not the default.

I got some sample assets ready and ill get to work on that video tomorrow mourning.

Has any other app had a similar workflow to this were you auto generate your support loops in a seperate layers or level on a stack? This is some Dynamesh level of innovation. AWESOME MODIFIER.:):thumbup:
    I made a tutorial on how to use the edge weighs feature and put in on the site.

Edge-Weighting-Tutorial.jpg
    I'm not aware of other software packages offering so much control over the chamfering process. Variable chamfers are the norm in solid modeling packages (nurbs modeling) but in polygonal modeling it is the first.

I can't wait to see your video tutorial.
    Btw you fixed the crash I had at first launch. Tnx.
    I have to thanks Computron for his awesome bug reporting.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work on that latest feature, variable chamfers is something I've been dreaming of for a long time.