Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: vinn

Hello everyone.

A couple days ago, a friend urged me to make a sketchbook on polycount so here I am.

I am a 19 year old student living in Canada. I attend a game art course in September 2011. I've never touched 3D before. I tried really hard. I hope I learned something. Because my demo reel is due in a few months. Aaaah. D;

I haven't posted on polycount before. I want to try to help in this community as I can [haha, like I can help anyone.]
And so I would really appreciate if you helped me. Critiques, advice, suggestions. Even though sometimes circumstances restrict me from making changes, I will still value it. Because more likely than not, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

To start off, I'll post the project that I'm working on at the moment and put up some studies along the way. I thought about putting it in the Pimping & Previews section, but it's not like it's anything to be looking forward to, what kind of preview would that be...

I am making a female game character.
Her name is Artisia Sawtooth. Therefore, I've dubbed this the Sawtooth Project [lol, I'm sorry. It's lame :P]

Here is my concept art, terribly rushed so that I could get it in on time but it has the colour palette. Please excuse my weird concepts.
sawtooth__rough_concept_art_by_quietpyre-d4z5xua.jpg
sawtooth__prop_sketch_by_quietpyre-d4z5ysr.jpg

I do feel terribly unprepared, but I'm running out of time.
So jumping right into it, I made a base mesh in maya and brought it into zbrush. So far, the overall piece looks like this:
sawtooth__wip_sculpt_overview_by_quietpyre-d4z62e7.jpg

My TA tried to help me with the face [and sculpted over it to make the one on the left]. I did a comparison. Idk... I still want to keep a softer, stylized feel.
sawtooth__face_comparison_by_quietpyre-d4z633d.jpg

My next steps in the Sawtooth project are to:
- add cracks to the face
- detail the ornaments
- retopo the main finished pieces

And in my next posts I plan to scrounge up some past works, or some exercises.

Thank you for stopping by !

Replies

• Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few months[?] ago, I started doing speed sculpts in a Zbrush studio class. I had an hour to sculpt whatever the topic was. This is one of the early ones. The topic was a creature from spaaace.

I made a kind of chicken that I thought aliens would eat C:
    I'm not the type to go ahead and make a hulking alien barbarian monster. Sorry.
    Someone called it the Psycho Chicken. Pretty accurate name.
    Again, please excuse me, it's weird. I don't know what I'm thinking when i'm sculpting.
    psycho_chicken_by_quietpyre-d4z8g08.jpg
  • ReviloRezlab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the Turkey Monster! Keep up the good work :D
  • Jonathan Dick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like everything except for the bags on her boots, although I know you'll probably refine that.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah the sacks on the boots are odd. Testicular, even.
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oli it's a chicken ! I know where you can buy a chicken that smells exactly like that ! xD

@jon they're not bags. I indeed intend to refine them. Though after some thought, I'm considering removing them entirely.

@jul Seeing as I said I might be planning to cut them off, how testicular does it seem to you now ? :D
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on the earring piece in the Sawtooth project. I think I'm finished. I might have gotten a bit lazy...

sawtooth__earring_update_by_quietpyre-d4zdyac.jpg

Why do I even try on these small pieces ? D:<
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something about the skull seems off. I think it's where the upper jaw connects that could be more defined. Then again, if this is going to be an earring and tiny, it doesn't really matter :P
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tiny... Yes, it will be tiny. Stupid thing.

;A; This thing doesn't matter. I'll go have a sit and cry.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and just saw the comparison of the TA sculptover. I like your version better. Much more interesting to look at. Maybe a bit too much cranial mass, though ;)
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah... I think it might be my fault that you think that. It seems I was zoomed in a bit too much when I put my version beside it.
    I did use a reference to make the head, but it can always be adjusted for the sake of making it look good. I agree on that her head is a little on the large side.
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I lost a bit of work on the sawtooth project today and yesterday. So I'll post something I did in class a little while back.

Speed sculpt. Topic was famous faces. And this face. It be famous.

I read the book and after being shown the trailer in one of my classes... Oh my god, I can't wait for this movie. Let the axes fly !

vampire_hunter_by_quietpyre-d4zoolm.jpg
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kept crashing, but I got in the cracks and exaggerated the neck. So, the face sculpt is done. Brought the decimated mesh into maya and now to bake it... Mmmmm, baking.

sawtooth__face_sculpt_by_quietpyre-d508pt7.jpg

In other news, spent a long while drawing a couple of gay centaurs. Not that it's very important, but it's all I can think about. What the hell.

Now that I think about it, never drew centaurs in my life, never mind gay ones. I don't think I've ever drawn a full horse either. Note: don't take up just any request from your friends.
  • CeciliaD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the TA's paintover doesn't really do anything for your character. I thought it was a before and after... lol
    Abe Lincoln is very well done.

I'm just curious, are you going to add pores/skin texture to her face in zbrush or will that be spec & texture? Or does she have a sort of porcelain complexion?

I'd love to know a little back story on this girl. It sounds like she has a crazy past! :)
    Ooh, and are you going to do the rabbit chainsaw too?
    Looking really good!
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi cecil :D

She does have porcelain-like skin. I plan to add those grainy bits into the cracks when I'm doing the textures.

What I wrote way back when in that class when we were coming up with concepts. [otherwise known as what I could pull out of the magical ass rabbit hat in one sitting]

[link]

I will be doing the saw... though I have not yet started. Dx

Anyways, one last update for today:

Kind of crapped out the embellishments because it's not going to be that big on the character anyways. But I love rabbit skulls <3

sawtooth__rabbit_skull_brooch_by_quietpyre-d508tf3.jpg
  • Vinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since last I updated, it's just been real boring stuff like UVs and testing it out with a rig in UDK. But I did start doing hair:

sawtooth__hair_update_by_quietpyre-d51y7uq.jpg

Mostly I'm just placing it right now, because I think I could definitely add more highlighting and push the hair to make it look more vibrant.

In other news, started doodling out a comic I've been discussing with a friend. It's nice and relaxing to draw again C:
    It is the perfect break from working on the model, but priorities... I must push it aside for now and focus.