Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female cinematic character

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
7mch polycounter lvl 8
Hi all!

I recently finished my latest character, I thought I would share it with you guys. It's supposed to be a sci-fi mechanic for a pre-rendered game cinematic. Hope you like it!

frontupload.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

combinedupload.jpg

comp_2.jpg

gloves.jpg

Replies

• SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loving this!! gd job!
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work.

She's a bit too clean and perfect for a mechanic, I'd have thought. I'd expect hair to be kept tied up out of the way and a bit more muscle mass and general dirt around the place. Cuts, bruises, etc...
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    Damn.... Excellent model ! ) Good job.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work! How did you do the hair?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    The model is solid, but there are other things which seem rushed.

I'm not a fan of her hair, it looks too floaty, not oily enough, and her specular is too 'static', hair usually has more then a simple anistropic specular, usually two additive values that are of different colors, I don't see this going on. Try looking up for Kajya-Kay to see what I mean.

Her face also fades in comparison, it looks blank, it's not defined well enough, the Diffuse is there but the micro details and specular don't read at all, not to mention, it looks she has a thick layer of dust on her face, this simply kills the looks. You should try for an Diffuse Reflectance shader instead, something like Oren-Nayar to fake the 'roughness' at light incident angles

Which reminds me, all of the pictures look like there is a layer of dust on them, people usually fake depth and 'realistic' images but giving it either a slight Chromatic Aberration or DOF.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    The model looks very good but I agree with Ace-Angel
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    love the body, especially how it was designed in the upper half, but i also do agree with Ace-Angel about the hair and how the face looks a bit dusty, either way, amazing work over all :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is obscenely good!
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you guys for all your feedback! Some good advise there - really appreciate it.
    @Tenchi: To model the hair I used GMH Mel Script ( Geometries to Maya Hair Script) developed by Phung Dinh Dzung, which converts geometries hair patches to Maya Hair
    As for the shader I used Pavel Ledin's mental ray hair shader

HairModelling.jpg

HairRenders.jpg
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Great! Very clean modeling, simple but effective design on the armor!
    I agree that the face could use some more colour, other thant that it's a great work.
  • SA_22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    titties!! :D shame you havn't taken a full render of her naked anatomy looks really nice!
  • Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love the design of the costume great work
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    her body and face actually look really good! it might be the skinshader/sss or lack thereof in the first shot that makes the face look dead and also the strong AO on her face makes her look a bit mucky like she doesnt wash her face.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice work on the clothes, the folds totally sell the materials! I do agree with Talon's points though, her shoulders should be wider and her arms thicker. Right now she looks too clean and her build is too super model-like as opposed to someone who is lifting equipment and working with tools all day. I would also move some details from her front to her back to balance the design so she looks equally interesting from all angles. I also agree with previous comments about her needing more colour; she just looks way too plain right now. Lighting tends to wash out colour too so try saturating the colours a tad and throw in a few bright labels here and there. This isn't a big deal, but it looks like she's wearing a uniform, so maybe a simple company logo on her clothing can add a lot. Overall she looks great though, keep going!
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome piece!, the face texturing looks blan and dry i would increase the spec and or gloss map and add color to both the diffuse and spec map
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    I see..
    Thanks a lot!
    I think you guys totally didn't like my grading work. This one is without any colour correction - pure CG rendered layers and some noise.

face.jpg
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, could you post some 1920x1280's? i'd totally make this my wallpaper.
  • neverwander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neverwander polycounter lvl 7
    How old is she supposed to be? Cause right now I'm thinking late 30s early 40s. Something about the specular of the skin makes her appear old. I think is has something to do with the darkness around the eyes and pronounced cheekbones. This comes down to personal preference and the individual character, but I feel that a younger woman would have a bit more in the cheek area, lighter around the eyes, and maybe lighten up the whites of the eyes just a touch.

Feel free to ignore me as this is your project, just throwin' out my two cents.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work. If you are using occlusion on the face texture, as Ged said I think it might be a bit too black. Her eyes could use a stronger highlight too.

The clothing is pretty amazing though. Awesome use of polygroups. Only other thing I would say is its not dirty enough, A mechanic would be greasy yo.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work! I kinda wish her face would be more lit up so you could see more of it, maybe some post-process work just to get a the contrast and brightness right. :) other than that, great!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Looks awesome man, but I think you should loose those black AO / shadows on her skin. Thats really bringing down the face imo. Especially on the lips and around the inside of her eyes. Play with some deeper saturated reds and I think youll really see a huge difference!
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This is really nice. I dig the materials and costume.

One thing that really sticks out to me is that her shoulders seem very small and slight compared to the size of her torso, hips and head. They look kind of weak. I would expect them to be a bit more pronounced and strong looking for this character and pose.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    this looks great man, I really like the different materials. I agree with the others about toning down the dark AO on her skin though. I think you should emphasize the spec on her eyes too to give em that wet look.
  • whw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whw
    Liking the design. Ditto about the flatness of the image - probably worth pushign the specular a little more.

And I completely agree with Hazardous regarding your use of AO. I would use the AO bake as a mask for bringing in reds/pinks to pull in the underlying skin qualities.

The sleeves on the tied jacket could do with some more work as they look ironed flat, especially the cuffs. I would expect them to retain a slight tubular shape from the knot downwards.
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Looks awesome man,
    It should be more like "Looks awesome ma'am" :poly136:

As for the facial AO - next time on a new model. Thanks for the advice anyway!

@SnaFuBAR: That's the biggest I could get

combinedupload.jpg

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    You're not done yet ;)!

paintover_cinimatic_character.jpg

Quick suggestion (I'm at work) of what you could do with it post-process wise. You should try to push it more. Give it more depth and not to be so dark.

Other than that, lovely character, best I've seen in a while. Great work!
  • dannedadon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dannedadon polycounter lvl 11
    wow, super nice. love it
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Sweet job! 7mch. To me that is a truly inspirational development.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really digging the profile! -the hair is crying out for some skin peeking through at the hair part. It'll look a little wig-ish without it. Great stuff!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Shoulders look a little narrow. Rule of thumb is that hips and shoulders are same width on female form.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks 7mch for the the hair tut, I'm checking out Phung Dinh Dzung's site right now ^_^
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is sweet man, model is cleeean! I'm liking how that hair script turned out.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    7mch wrote: »
    It should be more like "Looks awesome ma'am" :poly136:

My apologies Ma'am!

Please post her in this thread when you get a chance!!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95540&highlight=Girls
  • gvii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gvii polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing work! Really beautiful!

I agree with chrisradsby, the color adjust could be pushed a bit.

colorsuggest.jpg

In the first one I just tried some adjustments to get a bit more contrast and enhance the tones a bit. On the second one, I reused the first one and added a solid color over it to try and emulate the tone you used in your adjustment.

Your diffuse is very good, dont get rid of those tones in the color adjust! :D

Thank you for this inspirational piece :).
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    i think you should lighten the ao on the face; remove the black. makes her face look dirty.
  • Erigo
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    hawken wrote: »
    Shoulders look a little narrow. Rule of thumb is that hips and shoulders are same width on female form.

Going to second this, it was the first thing I noticed.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc wrote: »
    i think you should lighten the ao on the face; remove the black. makes her face look dirty.

Would have to agree, never shade with black (never shade at all if you can do this with lighting, use SSS and so on)
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks again everyone, some really good feedback there.

The AO was never black, it was set as a mask on the indirect pass and multiplied on top of the diffuse. Maybe it darkened it too mach.

@chrisradsby:
    Thanks for your effort, but I can't do such a dramatic change in the background because it will be inaccurate for the lighting of the character. It's obvious that it's done in post.

@Hazardous:
    Thank you, I will post it there soon.

Here is a new composition. (I hope the last one)

• Added a hairline
    • Removed AO from the face
    • Didn't touch the facial tones at all
    • Added less noise

frontzw.png

The shoulders are indeed too narrow - unfortunately I can't do anything to change them at this point.
  • Vio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    This thing about the shoulders, could it not just be a slight illusion from the jumper tied around her waist? I drew a line from her shoulder to there and it cuts into that jumper but only a tiny bit into the actual hips.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch wrote: »

The shoulders are indeed too narrow - unfortunately I can't do anything to change them at this point.

It's basically the only flaw but it's a pretty huge one that is instantly noticeable.

Most women's shoulders are way wider than their hips. The rule is the bare minimum really, it was a popular rule of thumb for classical painting, where asses are usually like two giant moons.

fashion_tip2_5.jpg
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    I like the narrow shoulders personally. I think bigger hips is super smexy. Great work!!
  • Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like the distance between her eyes is way too exaggerated...
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow amazing model! really love the detail on the clothes. I think you can push the colour a bit more. Probably add some more spec on the nose, cheeks and forehead. Cause thats where oil collects on the face.

Fantastic stuff overall. Keep it up!
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    First off, I think this is a beautiful model, you've done a fantastic job so far, one of the most refreshing characters Ive seen in a while :)

I really think it would be worth your while to go back and pull her shoulders out though, it will make such a difference, I did a quick liquify in PS to see how it would look. I also pulled her hips around slightly as theres a bit of an unnatural bulge to them on one side.

7mch_paintover.jpg

its still a fantastic model though :)
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Hello, it's a really great model, i wanted to ask you some questions, because i'm really interested in cinematics and movies more than video games, although i love video games and modding.
    The questions are: What's the difference between a game model and a cinematic model? What are the steps to make a cinematic model?

I know for making game model is generaly:

1) Base Mesh/ Z-Spheres
    2) High Poly/ Sculpt
    3) Retopo
    4) Low Poly
    5) Unwrap Low Poly
    6) Bake details of high poly on low
    7) Texture
    8) Render/Post Process

For a cinematic character is it:

1) Base Mesh/ Z-Spheres
    2) High Poly/ Sculpt
    3) Retopo
    4) Unwrap
    5) Polypaint
    6) Texture
    7) Render/ Post Process

I ask that for anything like environments, characters, vehicles, weapons... Thanks in advance.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Wow, that's really a beautiful characters. I really love her lips, they looks so yummy ! Latest render is fabulous but I think it could get even better if you do what Gvii did, a little post process in toshop for some of the colors will really give a better look, don't forget to use contrast, gradients, levels and curves

Great job, sir !
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    Lephenix wrote: »
    Hello, it's a really great model, i wanted to ask you some questions, because i'm really interested in cinematics and movies more than video games, although i love video games and modding.
    The questions are: What's the difference between a game model and a cinematic model? What are the steps to make a cinematic model?

I know for making game model is generaly:

1) Base Mesh/ Z-Spheres
    2) High Poly/ Sculpt
    3) Retopo
    4) Low Poly
    5) Unwrap Low Poly
    6) Bake details of high poly on low
    7) Texture
    8) Render/Post Process

For a cinematic character is it:

1) Base Mesh/ Z-Spheres
    2) High Poly/ Sculpt
    3) Retopo
    4) Unwrap
    5) Polypaint
    6) Texture
    7) Render/ Post Process

I ask that for anything like environments, characters, vehicles, weapons... Thanks in advance.

Well,I have no idea about environments..

As for characters, I guess the workflow of modelling and texturing is very similar to that you described.

When it comes to a pre-rendered cinematic the major difference is that you can have

• Dynamic hair system
    • Cloth simulation
    • Subsurface scattering shader for skin, teeth and eyes (Refractive shader for the cornea of the eye)

And off course you can render your imagery in multiple passes.

All available technologies such as cloth and hair simulation, muscle system, advance skin shaders, global illumination and image based lighting solutions can be used to create the final picture. Any element of the character such as hair, eyes or clothing can be rendered in multiple passes allowing a greater control during post production.

No limits on poly-count, as long as the polygons are used sensibly. However any cinematic character should be animation friendly. That means that the topology of the character is very important to provide good deformation for realistic animation.

There are also no especially restrictive limits when it comes to texture maps and texture sizes.
    Andrew Whitehurst from Double Negative who came to our Uni to do a presentation about the techniques used in "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" film mentioned that they would usually have about 10 to 15 UV layouts for each character. There will be a separate map for face, eyes, hands, clothing etc. Moreover, each UV set would have colour, specular, displacement and more other maps where each of them would be somewhere between 4k - 8k.
  • 7mch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7mch polycounter lvl 8
    crazyfool wrote: »
    First off, I think this is a beautiful model, you've done a fantastic job so far, one of the most refreshing characters Ive seen in a while :)

I really think it would be worth your while to go back and pull her shoulders out though, it will make such a difference, I did a quick liquify in PS to see how it would look. I also pulled her hips around slightly as theres a bit of an unnatural bulge to them on one side.

7mch_paintover.jpg

its still a fantastic model though :)

Thanks a lot, I am glad you like it. I see what you did there.
    I tend to do all my characters with narrow shoulders, It's something that I get wrong every time.
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the infos :) .