Home General Discussion

STALKER 2 officially canceled

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
Its very sad. One of my favorite series is not getting a sequel.

But its ok, cuz many people who did work on it just created their own studio.
Their new game is going to be an mmofps (which I am kinda sad about since i hat mmo's, but maybe i'll give it a try).
They also have a new viddoc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl812VZv9VI&context=C4ce2ab1ADvjVQa1PpcFM3gGkmv-PHrIh7j9r0VuKIurvd0z5UyF0%3D

http://survarium.com/en/

Replies

• Skamberin
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Well that's a damn shame. I imagine it will get another go around at some point though, fingers crossed.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    The RPS article suggests it's "frozen" but not necessarily done for. Maybe it's time to let it go though...
  • KarlWrang
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    This sucks... But I do look forward to seeing "Survarium" progress, hopefully they'll be a bit more hands-on when it comes to conveying information this time around.

I really did love stalker, and I hope the new studio will manage to recreate the same immersive atmosphere.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    another respected PC developer left by the wayside.
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, extremely disappointed with this news. I've said it time and again, but STALKER has been my favourite fps to date.

I dont' see how Survarium can possibly achieve a stalkeresque game environment in MMO format, that's an oxymoron in itself. Boo, first world problems.
  • R3D
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Survival MMOFPS?

sign me up
  • GarageBay9
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Well, that news caps off a fucking fantastic day. >:(

May angry Bloodsuckers descend upon those responsible.
  • daphz
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    this makes me so sad :( I was really looking forward to stalker 2. that new mmofps project has me curious though
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah, extremely disappointed with this news. I've said it time and again, but STALKER has been my favourite fps to date.

I dont' see how Survarium can possibly achieve a stalkeresque game environment in MMO format, that's an oxymoron in itself. Boo, first world problems.

Is it though? Some of the stuff like comparing yourself to the virtual "stalker list" and the open ended nature of the game would lend itself well to an MMO. I don't really like MMOs myself but I don't see it as that big of a stretch. Its a very sand-boxy type game. The weapon/ammo hoarding collecting in crates etc is very RPGish as well.
  • firestarter
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    Earthquake, for sure it's up to a very personal interpretation. I never really looked at the stalker list, I feel that the isolation and sparseness of the world was a very intrinsic part.

That sense of dread when you were out in a previously unexplored building, low on ammo, your favourite rifle in need of a fix up, the sun setting rapidly...

I'm just envisioning starter areas and servers filled with hundreds if not thousands of people, lining up to collect artifacts at anomalies, with every area mapped out within a couple of days. I don't see how it could be anything else other than that, financially with todays limitations. That said with the length of time the original stalker took to release, maybe by the time Survarium comes out, a score of players per server in an area the size of Russia will be achievable. I really doubt it though.
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just envisioning starter areas and servers filled with hundreds if not thousands of people, lining up to collect artifacts at anomalies, with every area mapped out within a couple of days. I don't see how it could be anything else other than that, financially with todays limitations. That said with the length of time the original stalker took to release, maybe by the time Survarium comes out, a score of players per server in an area the size of Russia will be achievable. I really doubt it though.

If anything it would have to be an eve style game, with the actual zone being much like 0 security space or even wormhole space, totally dangerous and equally awesome.

Where the beginners areas would be startertowns just on the border of the zone and most beginners fetch quests would entail just barely touching on the zone.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't played the Stalker games yet (Although I own them on Steam) but I've always wanted to play/work on an open world FPS MMO in an apocalyptic setting like that. What Eld said could be awesome if they could have a big enough world for it, or just find a good balance with the amount of players on the server.
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think that it will work as a MMO, because MMO tend to be kinda static.
    What I really loved about STALKER was that one game I was in the first camp and went out and saw some soldiers. I decided I wanted their stuff, they disagreed and in the end I ran like mad away. Later, when I came back to the camp, the soldiers had taken over the place, something that didn't happen in my last playthough.

The whole dynamic power struggle between factions was one of the cool things about the game, as you never knew who was living where and always had to approche carefully until you knew.

MMOs tend to have all NPCs the same places, the world the same so all players can have the same experience, which I dislike. I don't want to go kill the same bandit that 100's of other players has already done, in the same place, in some cases with queue of people waiting to kill the mob.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
  • eld
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    McGreed wrote: »
    I don't think that it will work as a MMO, because MMO tend to be kinda static.

There's no one single definition of MMO's, even though one type is the most usual one to see now.

MMO implies that a game of any genre and style is shared and played by a massive amount of players.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    this is something i was expecting... and i'm glad for the notice.

Being one of the most pirated games in years... why make a second part? it's ridiculous!

I'm glad they opted for the mmo way, it's the only way to earn cash nowadays and i love online games!. A "buy to play" game like guild wars2/starcraft2/diablo3 is the perfect thing for me. That will force players to pay yes or yes if they really want to play the game.
  • CrazyMatt
    STALKER mmo and a GTA mmo is all I would need to be satisfied :D (and a proper third installment of Soldier of Fortune ;))
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I've never played an MMO b4, but couldn't they just create a "living" world that can be played online in solo? basically check-boxing out or limiting the amount of social interaction? The stuff they talk about in the vid doesn't really relate to the MMO aspect of the game, just of the dynamic, global quality of it
  • Bato
    I'm not particularly excited to see them get into the MMO business, these days trying to make one is financial suicide. And I really like those guys.
    Many attempts have been made and most of them end in the studio closing or losing half if not more of their team. MMOs are very expensive.
  • KarlWrang
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, It's seems like a huge risk coming from a studio with a history of offering/claiming to much in an early stage. But I really hope something good will come out of this.

Oh, found this QA: http://www.facebook.com/Survarium/posts/402277509793685
  • ErichWK
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    That Q.A thread is so fucking angering. I hate gamers. They are so god damn whiny and entitled and make such harsh judgement before even seeing a single god damn screenshot. Remember when Multiplayer for Mass 3 was announced? And everyone shit angry violent diarrhea rockets out their ears..then when they finally player it, "Oh shit! This is a blast!"
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Bato wrote: »
    I'm not particularly excited to see them get into the MMO business, these days trying to make one is financial suicide. And I really like those guys.
    Many attempts have been made and most of them end in the studio closing or losing half if not more of their team. MMOs are very expensive.

The universal appeal theme park mmo genre is dominated by WoW, you can find success by getting into untapped markets.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Problem is, we had a game which went the Fallout/MMO/Stalker route of things, I forget what it was called, maybe Fallen Earth?

But the gist is, alot of issues arised due to the very nature of the game.

I'm optimistic for Survirum, because STALKER, as mentioned, was a very RPG/MMO type game, only that instead of taking turn in hitting enemies based upon your speed and gear, you shot deadly bullets as fast as you could while avoided any damage before your gun gave out.

A few times, I lost myself in the game and honestly felt like I was in an MMO sandbox game.

However, at the same time, people want to enjoy games, the main reason peeps went from Slow-MMO-WoW games to slightly faster-MMO-games like Tera, Guild Wars 2, SW, etc. is so they can take it easy.
  • Michael Knubben
    Partial team from company previously known for ambituous projects that get cut down enormously during production and still need mod-scene fixes makes an mmo. I don't see how this could go wrong, what do you think?
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    The bottom line is, really, the only ppl capable of making Stalker2 (or a stalker-ish sequel) r these folks. For good or for worst.
  • Matroskin
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    I was looking forward to stalker 2 (as much as I almost started considering applying to GSC), but seeing those "leaked" "concept art" images kinda made me feel it would not turn out good :(
    I heard they dont pay much so I guess it could have been one of issues as well in terms of production quality.

At some point it felt like discovering that Santa is not real ;)
  • breyz
    Offline / Send Message
    breyz polycounter lvl 12
    Blaizer wrote: »
    this is something i was expecting... and i'm glad for the notice.

Being one of the most pirated games in years... why make a second part? it's ridiculous!

I'm glad they opted for the mmo way, it's the only way to earn cash nowadays and i love online games!. A "buy to play" game like guild wars2/starcraft2/diablo3 is the perfect thing for me. That will force players to pay yes or yes if they really want to play the game.

As of September 2008, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has sold 2 million copies worldwide. GSC Game World CEO Sergiy Grygorovych has said "We are very pleased that S.T.A.L.K.E.R. became so popular among players from all over the world. Financial success will allow us to develop S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in different directions as a brand."

That's first of all.

Second, what you're saying about online games are the only way to make money these days, that's bullshit, and there's so many examples of that I'm not even going to bother naming any. Well, except for the one I just did.