Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Haoyang Wang, Environment Artist

Being on Polycount a while but this is my first real post. I just finished my 3-year Game Development study graduated from Durham college. I guess I finally has something to show your guys and can't wait to get feedbacks and start to learn everything I can.

Here is my portfolio site http://haoyangwang.weebly.com/

I hope I can be part of the industry soon and get to know many new friends on Polycount. I will post my new works and W.I.P in this thread unless there is a need to create a new thread, and thanks guys.

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hi there! Nice portfolio I like it. Straight-forward and you got some nice work in there.

Even though the demo-reel was pretty cool, It felt weird waking up and blinking and then just started to hover through the air. Even though the classroom environment looks nice and clean, it still feels like it misses something.

However really nice work on the damage area of the classroom, could probably have added some more detail but really nice. I wish you would show off more of the texture from that environment, you're leaving out a lot of stuff. Nice work on the materials as well!

What I feel you should focus on a bit more is traditional art-basics like composition and lighting. Maybe just learn the basics of photography guide-lines. How to make things look more beautiful using certain angles and certain rules to help you along. Works wonders for screenshots :)

I checked your resum
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That classroom bit is -very- powerful in its current state, but it could be pushed even more by adding some more dynamic elements. Paint peeling and charred bits falling from the ceiling, crispy sounds, and a bit of a change in the last room after you enter. Kind of like, when you 'walk' in, evil awakens and you're completely screwed.

The presentation is a bit meh, though, mostly because you're lacking in breakdowns. On your entire site there are just two wireframes and two texture flats. You need more.
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @chrisradsby:
    You don't know how much I appreciate your comments and time Chrisradsby. There are so much that I would like to add and polish the environment itself and the fly-through.

The piece was made for our final screening so I had compress it under 1 min and half. The transition you mention where the camera just starts floating really need more works, same goes to many places.

I always want to polish up the damaged part of the room. There are should be more stuff on the ground and weird drawings or marks on the blackboard to make it more interesting. I don't know, but I may have to go back and touch on some stuff, and I will update it here if I do.

I saw your website and the compositions of the shots are really nice. I only know a little bit about photography but I can see it will improve my shots a lot. Maybe then I only need one or two shots for each part of the classroom instead of three.

I will see what I can put instead poster creation in my resume and buy a domain name sometime after. I think I need one after all.

Thanks again Chrisradsby. I will post more stuff afterward and hope you will enjoy it.

@Snader:
    I like your suggestions Snader. The shader I use actually allow me to control the textures and effects dramatically but I just didn't take that step further. The idea of using effects to render the atmosphere of final encounter even stronger is a cool and effected idea. Without the PG-13 restraint of our school I think I can add some nasty effects here and there.

And I do need more breakdowns. I really do.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    My first impression of the first screenshot was.. meh. Just a boring old classroom. Big deal. Then the next one was like whoa! What in the flying @$%! happened? So bravo to you sir. Whenever I see classrooms in someones portfolio, it's usually stale and boring. But you've managed to tell a story. In only 2 screenshots.

It looks really good, but I think you could push it further and make it great. Good luck to you!!
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GOBEE: Glad you like it GOBEE. ^_^ Yes I like environment that could tell a story and well thought-out that it should still have impact on players even if they have to see it many times in a game. This piece require more polish to achieve that kind of effects. You guys give me motive to start working again. Thanks a lot.
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the piece I was working on lately. A mix-up of 3ds Max hard surface modeling, Zbrush sculpting and texture painting.

I am a big fan of id software's old school shooters and its art style. I especially love Quake 2's enemy design and its execution in game. Enemies in old school games tend to be more distinct and memorable. So I decided to create a high-poly character bust for the light guard in Quake 2, the most common enemy in the game.

For this project I wanted to update the design to today's standard but also try my best to keep the old school feels. I had to add details that make sense also avoid changing the silhouette and proportion too much. So doing a complete re-design might even be easier.

Anyway I had a lot fun doing this project and it will be great to see more Quake love in the forum. It is not a such bad idea to do a other Quake 3 skinning contest or something like that.:)

Edit: added Strogg symbol and increased contrast on some metal.(but hard to see in the shots:))

colorshot_01_02.jpg

colorshot_02_02.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Dude! This is really awesome! I really like Quake 2 as well, haven't played it in ages but can perfectly remember the first level.. In fact I might play it again sometime soon.

Really liking the light guard, think you really nailed it. Might want to chuck the strogg symbol in there somewhere? Would be interesting to see your take on the Blaster.. Were they part of their arms? Can't remember.. Or even the machine gun.
  • sdmitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Hi! In regards to your website layout, it is very good. My only suggestion would be to maybe split your work up in projects (perhaps this is just a personal preference of mine). For instance, have a front-page of sorts displaying the title and a picture of each project that links to another page with the rest of the art on.

Like I said, that might just be me, but your page is very image heavy and took a while to load for me.
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    Dude! This is really awesome! I really like Quake 2 as well, haven't played it in ages but can perfectly remember the first level.. In fact I might play it again sometime soon.

Really liking the light guard, think you really nailed it. Might want to chuck the strogg symbol in there somewhere? Would be interesting to see your take on the Blaster.. Were they part of their arms? Can't remember.. Or even the machine gun.

Bek: Glad you like it. You got me on the Strogg symbol part. There should be one on his chest, I will say that is one thing that is missing in this piece. What I was thinking before I put it up? I don't know.... And I would like to make a full character and posed, but it is my first time doing stuff like this. I played it a little bit safe by choosing to do a bust.... Anyway thanks for the comment.
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sdmitchell wrote: »
    Hi! In regards to your website layout, it is very good. My only suggestion would be to maybe split your work up in projects (perhaps this is just a personal preference of mine). For instance, have a front-page of sorts displaying the title and a picture of each project that links to another page with the rest of the art on.

Like I said, that might just be me, but your page is very image heavy and took a while to load for me.

sdmitchell: Thanks for the advise! I have never thought about the pictures loading part. As more and more projects are added I may have to change the layout like you said. Thanks again!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    should probably define the metal specs a bit more, but looks cool dude!

Edit:
    just saw that scene... creeeeepy! :)
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    should probably define the metal specs a bit more, but looks cool dude!

Edit:
    just saw that scene... creeeeepy! :)

The creepiness is my real gift to everyone. :poly136:

Thanks for the suggestion. I do need more specs contrast on the metal.
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More renders without polypaint.
    shots_01.jpgshots_02.jpg
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i love the silent hill reference you put in this Scene. the creature that was twitching was interesting, but i think the animation needs more polishing.
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love the silent hill reference you put in this Scene. the creature that was twitching was interesting, but i think the animation needs more polishing.

Thanks and hope Silent Hill fans wouldn't hate it! And the animation is really quick and dirty that I hope my camera will move even faster so you can see less looping.:poly136: