Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hard Surface - Formula One Car

Hey Everyone, in keeping with my hard surface modeling I've taken on modeling a Formula 1 race car. I've used blueprints and as much reference as I could find and because in the F1 world the rules are always changing the specs for this car are in line with the 2011 rules.

The model is heavily inpired by the Ferrari F150 but not a replica, the only reason is most of my references are from that model.

I've posted on the WAYWO thread with HP updates so here is the latest one:

WIP005.jpg

I'm currently working on the lowpoly and I have it at ~19k tris. Assuming this is going into a racing game, is that too high? Low? Not sure but there is plenty of room to knock it down.

Thanks in Advance!

Replies

• Hang10
    Here are a few other views.

WIP006.jpg

WIP007.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's quite bumpy and sloppy in some areas. This is an extremely difficult type of car to get right though...
  • Hang10
    I see on the intakes on the sides and the sides of the nose cone. The dip in the top of the nose doesn't flow through to the tip from what I see now.

The front and back wings are my best features, I think. Front and rear suspensions and wishbones seem ok to me. Aside from the above I mentioned anywhere else?

The head rest area and the nose cone to intake transition area is rough too .. :\
  • Hang10
    I made some updates and had a little fun. I smoothed out the blobbyness(?) where the nose cone meets the main body and smoothed the shell around the intake.

I still need to fix some pinching above the front wheel and the that annoying line along the side of the nose cone.

WIP010.jpg

I also decided to take a crack at some mental ray renders using Material ID's and some lighting practice. Don't mind the ground its an attempt at concrete with puddles :/

3-4_RenderFixed.jpg
  • Hang10
    Here's an update to the HP. I've smoothed out the nose cone pinching and bubbling as well as the side of the body.

WIP011.jpg

I've adapted the low poly to fit the new HP and it still sits at just under 20k tris. Assuming that this could go into a racing game is that an appropriate tri count?

Here's a silhouette test I did against blueprints. The model and prints are according to 2011 specs.

Silhouette_Composition.jpg
  • aaronaton
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    just a quick one, as my personal preference to F1 tyres i think intermediate wets, or extreme wets always look better than slicks, especially in 3D
  • aaronaton
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronaton polycounter lvl 6
    im not sure on the chamber angle for the fronts either, just abit too much
  • Hang10
    Thanks for the tip!

As for the tire angles, I'm not sure exactly what the degree of incline is, but it's an easy fix.

:)

EDIT: Just reviewed some info and as I can see, it would appear the driver controls the camber on the fly. The rule of thumbs appears to be around 1 to 2 degrees, max of 4.

I may be over doing it so I can fix that.
  • Hang10
    I working on unwrapping and it's the first time I'm using TexTools. I thought maybe if I separate all smoothing groups it would make quick work but I'm just going back into the way I used to do it.

Not sure If I'm doing it wrong but here's a progress shot. I have 4 Smoothing groups overall and they're laid out side by side, #1 left most.

The way I have it setup currently I'm afraid I will have way too many islands and seams so before I go any farther I'll need some direction.

Progress.jpg
  • Hang10
    I finally got the UV's completed(ish), I've circled spots that I think have a lot of unused space. Would they be acceptable or should I keep going?

F1_TEXTURE_PSD.jpg
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    The empty space is probably fine.

However some of your UV's are overlapping each other which will create problems when you bake. Along with that, you haven't left enough room between some of your UV islands - typically try to have an even amount of padding/space between all your UVs. And lastly some of your UV islands are on odd angles, which isn't a bad thing, but you may get some jagged lines/bakes depending on how big of texture you plan to use.
  • Hang10
    Hang10 wrote: »
    I finally got the UV's completed(ish), I've circled spots that I think have a lot of unused space. Would they be acceptable or should I keep going?

F1_TEXTURE_PSD.jpg

New UV's
  • nicafornica
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    the wheel corners or the part where it meets the outside wall needs to be a bit harder and less round. Other than that pretty good work.
  • Vio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vio polycounter lvl 6
    Can we see the diffusers?
  • Hang10
    Sorry for the late response, here's a shot of the diffusers.

WIP012.jpg

I also pinched in the edges of the low poly wheels, they'll be adjusted on the HP shortly.
  • Drav
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    20k is fine if its for a current spec game.

Parts of the model are good, but the overall shapes look blobby and ill defined. I strongly recommend you go and take another pass over the red paneling and really try and study how and where the car curves. Basicly the shapes are there, but are not well defined enough, and have random blobs and bulges on them, rather than something designed to cut through the air.

Dont get me wrong, it looks like a racecar and looks halfway decent, but a further pass would make it look a lot better.

Cheers
  • Joshflighter
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Your screen shots are EXTREMELY blurry and in-turn they are ruining what could be a very nice looking model. I highly suggest you make a clay render of this until you get some vray settings down or something.

http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/tutorials.htm

Hope this helps. Keep going at it man! This will make a sweet portfolio model. :)
  • Hang10
    When you're referring to blobby are you talking about the HP or the low, I've made some changes to the curves on the low which I'l have to do on the HP.

@Josh: Thanks for the link, I'm following it right now, I'll do some new renders of the HP later tonight.
  • Hang10
    So I've been on a hiatus from this project for too long, glad to get back to it. I've been struggling with getting correct normal maps to bake from my cage. I ended up using pieces of the bake and painting a normal map and I'm getting much better results except for one area:

WIP018.jpg

Now the smoothing groups for the surrounding polys are the same, the normal map doesn't have any differences where the seams are. They are both seperate uv islands, so far that the only conclusion I have.

As for the colors, I'm experimenting with white and green(above) and as for the spec map it's non existant and if anyone has any links furthur the PC's own wiki it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hang10
    I started having fun with rendering and tried more colors I prefer much more over the above green.

WIP019.jpg

I find the lime green my favorite so far.
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    looks good man, but it would a whole lot better if ya had some decent non blurry renders.
  • Hang10
    I guess they look a lot better on my 11" screen :S
  • Hang10
    So here's another render, I bumped up the AA to the max settings I could. I'm using Mental Ray in Max.

Textures are still WIP, I'm trying to get the look of the speckles of new car paint and not sure what to do about the tyres.

WIP020.jpg

[yes un-shameful promotion]

EDIT: Just noticed the weird triangle shaped on the nose and in the intake.
  • Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    20k is fairly low for this kind of vehicle. It'd be fine for a taxi or what not, or maybe LOD1 or soemthing. For reference the Formula Masters cars in Race07 are ~28k and the F1 games from Codies are just above 30k.

Normal maps aren't something I'd be using - they're for per-pixel changes in normals. A lot of the bodywork on a F1 car is gradual curves over a set, continuous shape, something you should b using mesh for (no normal maps on the body ideally).

For the shape of it, it seems a bit generic for a 2009+ F1 car - no offense. All the top teams had some sort of concept that you could see visually; Brawn had the sweel long nose and pushed sidepod shape, Red Bull had the platypus nose and tucked in the top of the bulkhead (and even tried to continue it this year), Torro Rosso had the 'double floor' and McLaren tried some interesting things the last few years:

3183727868.jpg
    ^McLaren 2011
    23415210.jpg
    ^Torro Rosso Double Floor (underneath the Red Bull logo there's a wide, flat gap down to the floor)

For tyres, look up pictures of used F1 tyres, with graining and wear. Even slicks look good and less 'clinicly unrealistic' (common problem with rendering tyres) when they've been 'used'

Some references for green-coloured cars if you want:
    jaguar2003launch-lg.jpg
    lola-large.jpg
  • Hang10
    Wow awesome info Brendan thanks! As for the generic look, I'm still learning so I took blueprints and matched them as much as I could.

For the normal maps, it's also something I was learning so I figured I'd try it out. The only thing I was using the normals for was for the bumps on the vertical wings in the back.

@James520, Jeanne1: Thanks for the comments! :)
  • Hang10
    So I've made a few changes to the mesh, hardly noticable though. Cosmetically I've added more interest into the texture to make it more interesting :)

Once I had it to point where I liked I started playing around with rendering and got a little carried away :O

Sorry if they're a little blurry, working from my laptop :S

WIP022.jpg

WIP023.jpg

_____

The way I has the textures set up I was able to easily add 2 hue/sat layers and play with colors some more.

WIP024.jpg

WIP025.jpg

I did add some tyre wear, its not very noticable above but it's still a WIP, has for the paint I need to add the speckles on the shine and still reading up on relfections and HDRI rendering looks awesome so maybe a little of that later.

C & C always welcome :)
  • Hang10
    Working over the model I've found lots of overlapping verts and just poor messes >< I've been adding loops to smooth out edges but the side intakes are still bothering me.

I've tried to download the Xoliul Shader but unfortunately I can't get to the main website. Anyone have a link to a mirror download?

Here's my progress so far, nothing much has changed except it's a lot more clean. I think so at least.

WIP026.jpg

WIP027.jpg

C&C always welcome!
  • Hang10
    So I feel I have the Texture, and Modeling down on this one and if I kept going there are hours upon hours of things I could do but I'd much rather start something new.

Here is is my first attempt at UDK

UDKSnapshot.JPG

I'm looking for information on shaders and lighting at this time but if anyone has good beginner tutorials that focus on creating shaders it would be a huge help!
  • pǝlloɹ┴
    The front of the car looks smashed up, is it supposed to be like that?
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    besides adding polygons in several places that as the above dude said , look smashed up, the wheels are always the usual "cgi-giveaway" on cars. i know they will take a lot of polys to make them smoother but its the first thing the observer's eye falls upon. So it's worth subdividing them. As for texturing them, observe new or used formula tires and you'll see what kind of bump and spec you'll need.