Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Lavitz Character Workshop

Replies

• Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    0ad0041d73afc68f3e2c8066cf663533_zps57637462.png~original
    Face3_zps54d6ad6e.jpg~original
    I tried my best to address every issue, while keeping as much of her faces softness.
    I'm going to try and mess around with the eyes some more.
  • Alemja
    Online / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Looking much better, keep it up!
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    5_zps3c1b7c8f.jpg~original
    4_zps34742f14.jpg~original
    Finally finished her sculpt.
    retopo time =)
  • alvordr
    Offline / Send Message
    alvordr polycounter lvl 6
    Nice job. As for the guy model, I would soften up the muscles a bit, as it's way too hard-edged for my taste, but that's just my opinion. Good job on the models!
  • Alemja
    Online / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Looks really good! The last thing she needs is a slightly more defined lower eyelid, right now it looks like she doesn't have one at all, without the lower eyelid it looks like her eyes are bulging out. Since you're going for stylized the previous progress image was about the right amount of subtle-ness you need.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    @alvordr
    Thanks =)
    The druid model for the time being is finished. I may revisit the character one day, but I'd mostly redesign a bit and completely resculpt.
    @Alemja
    Thanks, I didn't realize I lost the lower lid in revisions.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]bb097442d7fb4a6bbf2fae09edcfde51[/SKETCHFAB]

Been a long time since I updated on Amber. Her wires so far, probably going to optimize a bit more.
    Also thought I'd try out the nifty Sketchfab viewer.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    If Sketchfab doesn't work for you here's some stills =)
    Wires_zps47abd161.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Got around to unwrapping and baking:
    Bake_zps3e35622d.jpg~original
    I updated the Sketchfab model if you want to rotate around it.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still alive :)
    Calling this done.

I also updated the sketchfab link above.

Render_zps4a534200.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Next character I'm working on for another test/portfolio piece
    Wraith_WIP1_zpsf26f21b0.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress :D
    Wraith_WIP2_zps69a799ce.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost done with the sculpt, let me know what you think.
    Wraith_WIP3_zps97952608.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP8_zpsa4a33ce1.jpg~original
    Face_zpsda028744.jpg~original
    The Reaper sculpts art test closed so I’m going back to the Elf Archer.
    I specifically had issues with her face and her belt/sash piece.

After separating the head from the rest of her body I was able to dynamesh and close the mouth and eye holes so I could get better detail there.

Next up will be to give her the eyebrows I took away, and do some final passes on all of apparel, specifically her belt/sash so it doesn't look so muddy.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    After a bunch of cleaning up and minor adjustments I'm calling the sculpt done.
    Turn_Sculpt.gif
    After decimating I started retoplogizing in 3dsMax with the graphite tools.
    So far I'm happy with the head, it's a bit highpoly, but I'll adjust if it gets too high later on.
    HeadTopo_zps7ede4346.jpg~original
  • Alemja
    Online / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    This is an adjustment you can make after you bake the normal maps: Her head in the side view is too wide, the front of the face needs to be pushed back and the pack can be brought in a bit.

The could also personal preference, but I feel that there is a bit of a missed opportunity on the arrow holsters. The area is just blank and it would be a really nice spot to add some of the swirl designs similar to the ones on the belt.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    It definitely is, I was talking to my friend about it the other day. It needs to be half as far forward.
    I agree about the quivers, I was going to do detail through texture, but I think I'm going to go back into the sculpt and have attachments/belts too.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    I checked it out with a few of my references but they seem to fluctuate a lot.
    When looking at my sculpt it doesn't look to elongated, but the low poly really exaggerates it.
    f6272c7ff5355aae9ba750cd8122643d_zpse5820045.png~original
    So I'm not sure now, but I can always adjust after baking like you said.
  • nyx702
    From your reference it does line up with the facial features but I think it's the neck that is giving the perception of a wide face. It appears skinnier and starts further back.

If you want more nit-picky things since you are going back to it anyways... :)

I feel like you should do something about the lumpiness in the belt trim/decoration. A little lumpiness is alright but this stands out IMO. Probably the easiest way to fix it is to retopo just that part and make it as it's own subtool.

I agree about the quivers. Something else I was thinking about is that they are really vertical. Getting an arrow out of there would be cumbersome.

Keep pushing man! It's looking good just don't quit.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the reference was just for a quick lineup, I'll give her some more thickness in the neck, but I do want to keep it on the slim side.

You're not being nit-picky, I've been trying to smooth it out, but I guess the only way to effectively do it would be through retopo.

I didn't realize how vertical they were and just rotated them quite a big, and they improve the silhouette of the profile view.

I really appreciate the feedback Alemja and nyx702, good feedback is hard to come by and it helps a lot, Thanks!
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up redoing the designs on the belt. I wasn't very attached to them and I thought they were a bit sloppy. I also added a swirl to the quivers as Alemja suggested.

I'm a lot happier with these changes, let me know what you all think.
    WIP9_zpsb629da1e.jpg~original
  • nyx702
    Yea man alot cleaner. Looks much better. If you have the time I'd do the same thing to the straps on the chest armor.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks nyx702, I separated and cleaned up the straps, I also resculpted the scarf.
    Here's a quick base polypaint to see how things look with her colors.
    WIP11_zps8182c619.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt I did for my sister's upcoming birthday.
    Helen_zps7dd7adaf.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Topology update, moving pretty slow.
    I updated the polypaint post with some more browns to have a bit more contrast in her apparel.
    TopoWIP_zpsaf699eb9.jpg~original
    My sister loved the sculpt I did of her =)
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the low poly
    TopoWIP2_zps37735733.jpg~original
    Check her out in 3d:
    [SKETCHFAB]c61b3f0f86504cc195b346b9d8574ac8[/SKETCHFAB]
  • rino
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    crit_01.JPG

that easily can be separated from the mesh, as it's own object, it's going to save you few polys.

look at my geometry, you'll save a lot more polygons. because those aren't doing anything for your silhouette, since quiver is flat, for the most part anyway.

also noticed that your arrows are 6 sided, why? they can easily be 3 sided or 4 at most. arrow feathers thing, they shouldn't be extruded from the arrow, they should be regular planes.

eyes can be cut in half.

"knee pads" haha, a lot of polys can be reduced in that area.

my advice would be to try to get geometry spread across the model evenly as possible.

i'd go for 10k - 15k tris, because high poly isn't that demanding.

other than that, really good topology on joints, i like it.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton, I can't stress how much I appreciate such feedback. I love retoplogizing, but with personal projects I kind of brush over things like this. So thanks again for picking these out before I pushed forward.

1. I may keep this attached, I considered having it separated for animation purposes, but I felt overall it would stay stationary. I'll cut the polys down though.

2. I can definitely cut down those polys, and quickly. The arrows were my imported old file I used for a placeholder hipoly for my sculpt, but I didn't think too much of them, and I'll cut those down to 3 sides.
    Yeah I questioned the "knee pads" in the original design way back which it's far from the knees haha, the geometry can be cut easily there too, I'll keep one bevel inward though.

Overall I was aiming to get below 20k, but below 15k should be very easy and I'll lose little to no noticeable detail.

Thanks again. I hope to update soon with updated geometry and my bakes.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrapped and working on the texture in Photoshop.
    She's getting there...
    WIP12_zpsdb95e963.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this one finished. Had some issues with specularity for a bit, had to mess around with the gloss.
    WIP13_zpsfae04388.jpg~original
    Here's a gif:
    ElfArcherGif.gif
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Really would work on this more. It could be a really nice piece. The textures currently feel about 50% done. I didn't even know you were using spec until I read that you were. Also the diffuse is pretty flat. I would add some color gradients and an overall gradient to the whole character. I also recommend making it a fully diffuse model and giving it a really nice hand painted texture.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm looking up a bunch of stuff my friend is linking me. I guess I was coming to a dead end with my current texturing skill set.
    I'm going to use the 3dsMax script posted in the news for the gradients, after that I'll look into how I can handpaint everything with a nice uniform style close to the concept.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the contrast the gradient added, and I had a lot of fun tweaking this time. One of my best friends pointed out some ways I can start handpainting in some detail. I turned off everything but diffuse, and it surprised me how little the Normal and Spec was contributing. Here's where I'm at, and I'm a lot happier with this.
    WIP14_zpsd792f264.jpg~original

Thanks for the critique stevston89, you pointed out a lot of things I overlooked =)
  • praetor187
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    pose it!pose it!!pose it!!!

Really nice looking I think it came out a lot nicer without the normal or spec the texture has a really nice simplicity to it. Just find a nice pose for it put it on a base and pat yourself on the back. :)
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the support everyone!

Working hard on rigging to pose her. I also made a few more adjustments to the texture and found a way to get rid of the nasty rim light on the arrows.
    I updated the Sketchfab above, and fixed a couple issues I had in there too.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished posing her. I have just the base stand left, and a few texture tweaks.

WIP15_zpsfcc8de6c.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished this one up, thanks everyone for the feedback and help through this one =D
    Final1_zps7c023f30.jpg~original
    Final2_zps86aa2d21.jpg~original
    Final3_zps0fa10edd.jpg~original
  • Lavitz
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    Great work so far lavits, With regards to the archer, I have no crit on the overal model, but the grass should probably be taken out. If you want to keep it, try bening the planes that the grass are on then have them rotated and duplicated closer together so you get clumps of grass. This will stop it looking flat.
  • Onmioji
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice elf, but, i think - with this level of detail you could use much less poly.
    At the same place, pedestal have too low poly.
    And such long quiver on belt and whide pants are uncomfortable while running.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the great feedback! Onmioji, as far as her design goes I was following the concept of the artist: http://www.alexallendesign.com/post/23274641776/here-is-an-old-piece-of-art-i-have-tried-to
    I did change up some things, but I wasn't too concerned with the quiver length.

I'm moving forward to my next character/challenge.
  • Onmioji
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
    Lavitz, you have a good organic, now you can challenge combination of organic and hard surface )
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    @Onmioji I definitely need hard surface practice, but I really badly wanted to work on my friends character for my next project.
    You can check out his concept here:
    http://derekhetrickart.tumblr.com/post/76905472480/havent-touched-siegmund-in-a-while-so-here-have
    Here's my WIP:
    WIP1_zps44ca0684.png~original
  • Ribtibs
    Hey man! Things are looking really cool so far. I think that your sculpt on your male character is really strong! My concerns are with the female elf. While the colors and all of the work on the texture are working overal, I think you can really increase the level of detail. Right now you have a lot of secondary details, but not a ton of tertiary. If you look at work from someone like Tyson Murphy or Firstkeeper, they really utilize their diffuse map to the fullest by adding little variations in color and details.

Keep up the good work man!
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thanks man, I agree 100%. My texturing skills aren't up to par, I've been learning a lot, but I have a lot of room to improve. The elf definitely has a texture resolution and polycount problem. For her little detail and texture size I can definitely improve each category.
    I've been studying a lot of texture painting techniques and hand painted processes. I think overall I have to keep practicing each and every skill and improve over time. I mostly had a lot of issues with where I wanted to go with her. I feel like I met the concept, but was lost after that with extra texture space and polys.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't been as active as I'd like to, but that's because I scored a freelance character position last month.
    I got the chance to plug a a few minutes here and there on this guy:
    WIP3_zps15683782.png~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Still chipping away at this in between contracts with my free time.
    WIP5_zps20dc0a94.png~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some face details and updated his anatomy to better match the concept.
    FaceWIP_zps63cfc84e.png~original
    WIP6_zps336963d6.png~original
    I also had an urge to go back to this guy and do a paint over.
    Wraith_zpscdbb332d.png~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more progress with these dudes
    WIP7_zpsfccff990.png~original
    Wraith_WIP3_zpse133c725.png~original
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more reaper/wraith progress:
    Wraith_WIP4_zpsee0a7141.png~original