Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M3CH Dev Diary

*UPDATED* Hi all. Just wanted to say thank you for the support during the indiegogo campaign and we have spent the past 8 months taking all the feedback you guys have given us and applying it to a new version of our game, We went ahead and have taken proper care of the mechs which are now all uniquely modelled and textured and closer to our concept art, also the environment art is now on the correct path that we originally envisioned but as you can imagine can take it out of you financially and now are hitting kickstarter for some funding and spread awareness to help us on the final push to give M3CH the polish and testing the title requires.

WATCH THIS SPACE AS WE WILL BE REVIVING THIS THREAD WITH MORE DEVELOPER ART DUMPS AND BREAKDOWN IMAGES.

Any further feedback you guys can give us would be greatly appreciated as it was integral before in getting our new visuals up to scratch!

Check out these links for more art, footage and info on the game:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/m3ch/m3ch?ref=home_location

FACEBOOK

New In-game screenshots and some real time model shots:

Seafront1_zps1d7114cb.jpg
Med05_Turn_zps60e7f214.jpg
Powerplant3_zps89ee05de.jpg
IpadScreenshot1_zpsbc39389b.jpg
11_M3ch_sk_03_zps1276c139.jpg

*original post*

Hi all. We are going to be using this thread as a development diary for our game "M3CH".

To help you catch up here is a sample of some of the art we have been producing so far:
fullsize005_3_Al.jpg
fullsizeRoundy_01.jpgfullsizeNew_Selena_Residential.jpgfullsizeNew_Selena.jpgfullsizeMedium_10.jpgfullsizeLight_01.jpgfullsizeLarge_03.jpgfullsizeEpic_03.jpgfullsizeBuilding_08.jpg
fullsize002_wip.jpgfullsize001_2_Al-1.jpg

Replies

• konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    These mechs are SO cool. Very (almost identical to the ones in Steel Battalion) Any chance its the same artists? All of this stuff is SOOOO high quality I wouldnt be surprised!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    The artwork is incredible, however the mechs are pretty generic. I really like Light_01 V1 and Medium_01.

What would be cool is if the player could custom paint their mechs on certain large panels; I think that would separate this from the competition. A system similar to Forza 3. That would be incredible and insta-buy for me.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    The arts gorgeous. Who is the artist? Will be watching this one.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    WOW! Really great concept work. Those are gonna be fun as hell to create.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Wow this stuff is beautiful! I love those mechs man!
  • aobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aobond polycounter lvl 7
    i'll second all the guys above. love the concept and cant wait to see the 3d
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Concept art looks gorgeous. Definitely very similar to Steel Battalion, as others have said.

Not sure if it was intended, but the video you've put on your Indiegogo page mentions Kickstarter twice, rather than Indiegogo.

Can't wait to see more.
  • M3CH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there guys glad to see your liking some of them, lots more to come. All of us in the studio create the concept art- and originally when we filmed the video we were going to use kickstarter, but after we found that we couldn't because we are UK based. We are struggling for names for the mechs at the moment do you guys have any ideas?
  • M3CH
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I am in love with the art direction on these pieces. I love the tech, structures and mechs! Very very inspirational work here!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amazing work. I cant wait to see more!
  • M3CH
  • M3CH
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome stuff guy. Definitely some new inspiration folder material.
  • M3CH
  • M3CH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    01: Moodboard:
    01_MOODBOARD.jpg

02: Photobash thumbs:
    02_THUMBS_PHOTOBASH.jpg

03: Pick Thumbs
    03_THUMBS_PICK.jpg

04: Blockout lines:
    04_BLOCKOUT_LINES.jpg

05: Tone Brushes
    05_TONES_BRUSHES.jpg

06: Buildup 06_BUILDUP.jpg

07: Colourpick Photobash
    08_COLOURPICK_PHOTOBASH.jpg

08: Final Details
    09_DETAILS_FINAL.jpg
  • M3CH
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    wow, awesome shit.
    i think they would look even better if they werent so desaturated.

edit: ninja'd.
    that answered my question about workflow.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    This looks pretty good, I'm curious to see some 3D happening as well
    M3CH wrote: »
    We are struggling for names for the mechs at the moment do you guys have any ideas?

Don't go all generic like every other game, calling your mechs/vehicles things like "Falcon" and "Hurricane" or whatever. There's many other languages you could pick, then just look for names of things like melee weapons, hand tools or wild animals. Something like German is a pretty good candidate for aggressive sounding words.

Oh and try to come up with believable type-identification. The germans do these cool semi abbreviations for their tanks like "StPz III Ausf. E" or "PzKpfW 38(t)" for SturmPanzer 3, Ausfuhrung (Version) E and PanzerKampfWagen 1938 meaning things like assault tank and armored car.
    Or the japanese have an interesting system for their tanks as well: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanks_in_the_Japanese_Army#Naming_system_for_tanks
    Anyway I'm a bit of a nerd with these sort of things lol.
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good, nice concepts.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    fuck. fantastic design work man. thanks so much for sharing
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Damn, those concepts are NICE!!!!!!!!!!
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing stuff guys. Love the idea of open developement. Can't wait to see more.
  • M3CH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid, thanks! I know what you mean about desaturated, the main reason this is happening is because we've stuck to grey-scale while Concepting to save on the man hours. the newer visual target pieces we're doing should have a much broader palette.
    Xoliul yessss! thats what we were kind of thinking, even though we love a bit of Battletech/Mechwarror the names are a little bland. Those Japanese prefixes are spot on, also the idea of borrowed/reselling/re banding of military mechs could generate some cool infix/postfix.
    We've manage to get a hold of some good osprey books(such eye candy) http://www.ospreypublishing.com
    maybe we can get some ideas from the post nam planes

Havoc89 tacit math roosterMAP Quack Thanks! hopefully we can keep entertaining

We've uploaded some of the current screenshots from the iphone 4s, heavy beta, also developing for iOS devices have been a massive headache. We've limited each level to around 10 draw calls. to achieve this we've used a single texture sheet for multiple levels through bash kitting, at the moment we are currently using vertex colours on the models to create some variation and using the red vertex channel to plug in a tiling detail texture.

There is also only 3 of us in the team, making doing high to low polys too time consuming at the moment.
    we're doing a chunk of engine work this week, we'll make sure to upload the various things we're breaking/playing with.

Oh and also some more concepts!

PromotionalShot6.jpg

PromotionalShot5.jpg

PromotionalShot4.jpg

PromotionalShot3.jpg

PromotionalShot2.jpg

PromotionalShot1.jpg

Promotionalbreakdown1.jpg

screenshot19.jpg

Military_rough_1.jpg

Military_rough_2.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • SentryTheGod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome LRG product placement.
  • M3CH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I'll post some ingame/3dsmax renders and the pipeline we used to create lots of mechs quickly and cost effective for iOS today
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Good luck guys, it looks fantastic! Love the art direction. Can't wait to see how this turns out.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet, really curious to see some mech model wireframes and the pipeline you used for them!
    Also surprised that it's a mobile game! Wouldn't have guessed from the awesome preproduction...
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    cool project! I really like the mech concepts
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff! very uniform quality. one comment that might not hold true any more but on a couple of the pieces you have what looks like a browning 50 cal on a giant mech (like this)
    http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj509/james_rowbotham/fullsizeMedium_10.jpg and it's really throwing the scale read for me. obviously i know that it's a big mech because of the person in the scene but the machine gun is drawn more or less as it appears normally. which is big, i grant, but not that big. i doubted bringing it up at all since you're going through and designing all the weapons anyway so i doubt that machine gun will appear as it is seen in that concept anyway but just saying, that's the only thing that threw my eye off.

well on the same discussion of scale, if it's a game about mechs and presumably played as a mech, or played as someone commanding mechs, the suit details on that last commando concept are just a little too fine if we're only ever going to see him underfoot. a thought on readability.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Whoa! these concepts look so awesome! You you could have worked for that hawken game!
  • HandSandwich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Super inspiring work! Well done :D
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    WOW! these concepts are great!
  • Junco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junco polycounter lvl 11
    really inspirational stuff. Im working with another student on a project for iOS. its really amazing to see the insights into your process
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty cool stuff, maybe Polycount can have a "Dev Diary" forum.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Donated!

Glad to help you guys get closer to your goal. We're all a community, if we don't help each other out nobody will.

Incredible job guys!
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I'm in love with everything here! Great designs and execution!
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    The artwork on this thread is so amazing, I would buy an I pad2 just for this game. Great job guys, I especially love the flying aircraft carriers. :)
  • asfalton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like tiny ant :D
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    really nice concepts and moods but i don't think your 3d quite matches the quality shown in the oncepts quite yet... not the textures or models which look great...but the lighting colour schemes and composition are not quite working...

the concepts have a lovely solid feel to them, fairly monotone picked out with one or two colours and plenty of contrast...but they are overexposed while most of the realtime art is under-exposed and makes stuff look alot muddier and harder to read.

also composition wise in the realtime shots are a little busy would be nice to see some emptyness...areas for the eyes to rest on between the busy mechanicalness

did a quick level etc on a couple of your shots that matches your concepts a bit more, over exposing it and picking out a few colours while desaturating all the others.
    although ive not used unity in a while it should be perfectly possible if thats what you want to go for
    paintover

excited to see where this goes
  • M3CH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid "so dope <3" hopefully, but with less side effects.
    almighty_gir "METAL GEAR?!" sadly no, but if rex was a women I would marry it.
    SentryTheGod "LRG product placement"Hopefully! checking out marketing budget there appears to be £1.20 in my jeans
    Rurouni Strife "Love the art direction" Thanks! I call the art direction gamma screen eye burn
    Xoliul "mech model wireframes and the pipeline " On it! a wireframe as pretty as that time I crashed into an army fence.
    daphz"like the mech concepts" yay! but we want to try and get a better result so I think we're returning to the base concepts if we get time,
    gauss"throwing the scale read" yeah well spotted, we've had a few issues of "handles" etc getting in without any of us noticing. we've got similar problems in the environment with things like door sizing, I think in future we need to have a mech scale and human scale in any scenes. The commando is pretty useless for this game, we did a load of concept work just for the world setting and hopefully a comic novel/artbook, I could upload some of the story here if any one wants to have a pre polycount peek?
    dustinbrown"people up close" hopefully, we quickly messed with populating the abandoned city with unfortunate squatters who make a squishy sound.
    dogzer"worked for that hawken game" ooooo that would had been good, we had already started when when Hawken announced, hopefully its a new wave of mech shooters instead of man shooters.
    wretchedgoat "concepts are great!" Thanks!
    Junco "insights into your process" thanks, we're uploadingin our progress almost in real-time hope it helps!
    VictorSantos " Polycount Dev Diary" forum" great idea, just a shame most companies make you sign 10 Ndas before you cant talk about what your making
    Del"Donated!" I love you Del, like a man loves another man.
    8FtSpider"Great designs" thanks! we're definitely triers
    praetor187"love the flying aircraft carriers" thanks! they were flying really high, but then we saw Hawken's one and had to bring them down a little bit.
    asfalton"I feel like tiny ant" I feel tiny ants too.......... oh I mean feel like
    SHEPEIRO"muddier and harder to read" Thanks for the paint over! completely agree, we've had all sorts of gamma problems on making stuff for iOS, we were hoping when we get to do the lighting really trying to blow things out, still proving difficult we're on it! I'll see if we can get some videos up of the levels.

Phew, that took a bit.
    Ive added the way we created the mechs, by making a mid toned, textured, low poly bash kit then multiplying the vertex colours over in engine.
    most of these are still at the vertex painting stage.

should get some mech animating up soon as well....

thanks for the Donations it really means a lot to try and be free of publishers and afford to eat.

another big dump, also what do you guys think of pilot fighter profiles in game? like the last 2 Kara and Sam
    3d01.jpg
    3d02.jpg
    3d03.jpg

3dsmax1.jpg

3dsmax2.jpg
    screenshot33.jpg
    screenshot29.jpg
    screenshot16.jpg
    screenshot13.jpg
    screenshot6.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    Epic01.jpg
    screenshot24.jpg
    Dread_concepts.jpg
    Kara_test.jpg
    Sam_test.jpg
  • M3CH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got a quick break down of how to animate a basic walk forward mech animation for an iOS game.

01ref.jpg
    02prep.jpg
    0304hipsfeetbase.jpg
    0506feetweightshift.jpg0708hipsandknees.jpg
    0910countermoveandclean.jpg
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    holy shit.......this is awesome! can't wait to see more progress!!
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god, so much info and so much inspirational stuff here! I have to keep watching this!
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    I really love the art direction in the concept.
    Now I don't know if it's due to the technical limitation of the engine on ipad/iphone, but to me at the moment it doesn't translate well to the 3D =/.
    Maybe due to the atmospheric ambience that you got on your concept but not in your 3D environment.
  • future-fiction
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    Donated!

Can't wait to see more ingame shots and more workflow breakdowns!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    will kepp my eye on this.. I like art.
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    This is just AMAZING! i'm really interested to see updates :)
    Great kitbash method by the way :)