Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demo Reel WIP Thread - Fantasy Beach Town

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
Hey everybody, I'm a little more than halfway through my 3rd term at Vanarts and I'm really enjoying the course. I've finally decided on 2 pieces; one that's fantasy and one that's a gritty realistic shooter map.

Just having this thread here to blog my progress and hopefully get some tips from all the awesome artists here.

I'm doing a lot of planning for this, so it's basically just a paint by number when I start doing things for it :P

I was hugely inspired by Jessica's hand painted environment (Awesome thread) as well as Skyward Sword and Wind Waker. I'll be hand painting my textures and keeping a fun style to it, but also have weathering and some grunge.

Here is my style guide:
style_guide.png

Here's a sketch of the map layout:
map.png

And a close up shot of the lighthouse:
sketch.png

And a sketch of the front of a house. This scene will be modular so a lot of these pieces will be re-used. The curvy things are roots from the native tree population, holding glowy gem things:
fantasycastle2.png

And a list of everything I'm gonna need:
notes.png

So yeah, I'll continue to post more concept art as I work on it as well as the models/textures. Thanks for looking :)

PS: in my notes it says tropical. It's actually going to be deciduous, with some tropical themes to it.

Replies

• ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    Nice Planning , can't wait to see some progress
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Realy good planning! I love the concept of the stylized house you've got there.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like the others said, great planning. This will be awesome
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I was working on my tree concept today. I did this sketch in my book on the bus a few days ago...

tree01_rough.png

And here's the concept I finished today totally not during our awesomely captivating coding class:

tree01.png
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty, another update. I blocked in my scene.

blockIn.png

I used the map I sketched as a guide in Maya. Here they are side by side:

mapBlockIn.png

And here's the language I made. It seems silly to do this, but I'm going to have lots of signs so it will be easier if I can just type in the symbols and make them normal maps. They are choppy hard edged symbols because they will be carved into wood.

language.png

I did a drawing in my sketchbook of what I would like my lighthouse to be. I'm going to go with this design, and just make it a little more random in Maya by using lattices.

lighthouse-1.png

This morning my goal was to have my flowers designed. I did some thumbnails, chose my favorite shapes, and then colour picked from photos on Google:

flowers-1.png

I did up some shrub thumbnails. What one do you guys like most, keeping in mind my theme? The shrubs will be scattered throughout the scene as fillers.
    shrub_thumbs.png

Sorry, this ended up being a massive post. Any comments and crits are welcome.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow man terrific preparation and concepts! I know this one will end up good, subscribed. As for your shrubs I like the shapes of 3 and 2, I think a few variations between the two would add more life to your world but not make each shrub so unique that you notice them being reused
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    This has the makings of something amazing. Totally subscribing to this.

*edit*

I think 2 works best, and 3 would fit well although it looks a bit like a smaller version of the tree concept. 1 looks a bit like a potted plant (maybe use it as a prop for the houses?) and 4 makes me think of a duck head, brown body and two green cheerleader puffs :s

Not super keen on the colours of the tree but it could work depending on what you have in mind for the surrounding areas so feel free ignore me :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Skummel - I also agree with 2 and 3 being good shrub choices. They are both in similar styles so I think I'll go with both and they should blend together well

@urgaffel - I'm glad another person likes 2 and 3, this makes decision making much easier :P I see what you mean with 4. Stay tuned for a cheerleading duck concept. My girlfriend has a good eye for colour and she thinks it could use more values, so I'm glad you mentioned the tree colours. I'm going to try a few colour variations, but I'm gonna stay withing the blue-green and orange-brown theme (:

Thanks for subscribing guys!

Today I worked on some prop concepts. Some barrels & crates and things. Cause you can never have enough barrels and crates. The hanging basket will have some flowers in it

propSet1.png
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cant wait to see the final project :D
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    My girlfriend has a good eye for colour and she thinks it could use more values, so I'm glad you mentioned the tree colours. I'm going to try a few colour variations, but I'm gonna stay withing the blue-green and orange-brown theme (:

Yeah, the colour scheme will probably work, it's just as your girlfriend says thoug; lack of values. If you look at it without focusing (so it looks blurry), it looks a bit flat, both the trunk and the leaves. This will of course change once you make it 3d since there will be lighting to help define the shape. I guess it's more about whether you want to improve concepts or not. The shadow/detail colour is almost the same hue as the main body, maybe use a cooler (or complimentary) colour for the shadow?

Btw, love your pencil sketches and the flower concepts.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, did some foliage concepts this morning.

First up is the shrub, which I named tree 02, to keep things simple and organized. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

I made the branches nice and small. Somewhat of an unrelated question at this stage, but should I add collision to this shrubtreething?

tree02.png

And then I did my foliage concepts. These are going to fill the scene in combination with the above. The first patch of grass is going to be for the beach, and will only be planted in sand near cliff faces, and the second patch is going to be regular grass.

The third plant holds seed pods. Basically it's evolved to be shaped like a dragon head (ones that are local to the area) to scare off larger animals. The pod has a hard outer shell and squishy innards. The seeds are similar in texture to pomegranates, except they have a soft glow around them, to imitate the glowing embers of a dragons mouth. Ima make a little market and have these hanging inside :D Also, the shell I'm thinking could be used for cutlery, bowls and cups.

foliage.png

Now that I look at it, the outside of the seed pod doesn't look very tough. I might go back and retouch it so it has a scale pattern or something

@urgaffel: duck.jpg
    *edit: just read your post. Yeah, I think I'll leave the concept as it is and when it comes to modeling and texturing I'll make some changes so it's a bit more realistic. I also forgot to paint dirt, grass and some patchy areas on it so hopefully those things will bring it out a bit more
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hokay so, I need some help on the cliff designs.

cliff_q.png

I'm going to have two main tiling textures for the cliffs; one for the large surrounding cliffs, and one for the stepped hills.

Now, let me know if this is a good idea. What if I create a separate uv set for the cliffs, and apply a gradient from the dark purply blue tones in pics 2 and 3, to brown/green Earthy tones? I would apply it via a layered shader, and set the mode to multiply or something, and put it on a very low opacity. The texture itself would be a teeny size, because it would just be for colour info so it can be blurry. My thoughts behind doing this is it would blend the rocks nicely from ocean to forest. This would be a very gradual and "quiet"

What if I did the same to the grass to add some variety?

For now though I need some tips on the colour of the cliff I painted before I work on the final concepts of it. It's small and can be climbed on by a player. The kind of thing I will have scattered throughout. Tips, or do you think it should be fine as is?
  • ClamJam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow dude this looks awesome!.
    sorry i dont have any critiscism, but keep up the sweet work
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ClamJam!

Well, Photobucket is making my pictures super blurry and small so I'm gonna start using DevArt to upload my concepts..

This one took forever, however I'm very happy I did these because now I won't get stuck when I'm modeling. I was thinking about the polygons while I drew these. Should only need to do one or 2 more concept sheets.

Feel free to critique and or comment! I cant wait to start modeling :P

modular_house_concept_by_julionicoletti-d4xgj5o.png

EDIT: Forgot to add a porch to my pieces! Oh well, that'll go on the next (and final) prop sheet.

Next set of Props:
    -small fruit stand - 2 or 3 variations
    -steps, that can be scattered around the scene
    -small bridge
    -out door chair and table
    --cups and cutlery for said table
    -work bench
    --tools for said work bench (hammer, nails, saw, rope, some fabric
    -well
    -sign/lamp post combo
    -hanging sign for shops
  • anarcy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love the style your going with cant wait to see the finished results
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work so far, even though it's good to prepare and concept stuff , it is turning into a massive project. How much time do you have? concepting everything is just a little bit of the whole process. To help sorting stuff out I believe it would be good to work from Big to small. Make sure you nail the art-direction for the houses, the grass,the trees, the cliffs and the rocks.

And makes sure those work in your scene, these are the things that will actually build up your environment. Small stuff like crates and buckets are just micro-detail that you place in the scene and in the end the micro-things are the props that you can churn out quickly and quickly change if needed.

Give it a think, even though things might look good in 2d they might not always come out as well in 3d. So it's important to make sure that the direction you're going in works for you.

Other than that, great work so far! really nice planning-skills as well as concept-skills :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Chris! I have until September to finish this. However, I would like to also do a realistic scene for my demo reel. So basically I want to have this scene completely modeled and textured by June 4th, when 4th term starts. If my textures aren't fully rendered by then, I won't be too worried because I can render them during 4th term. I'm going to spend the first few weeks of fourth term getting this into UDK and setting up lights and also start on my gritty FPS map.

I finished some small props. This is my last concept sheet!
    props_set_2_by_julionicoletti-d4xlcel.png

A lot of those I really didn't need to draw out. For me, this is more of a visual checklist.

And *finally* I started modeling today.
    screen01_by_julionicoletti-d4xldx3.png

I put in very rough wood textures just to see what the colour would look like together.

And here is me trying hand painted textures for the first time (it's a step or something)
    woodTest.png

One glaring issue I see now is that the wood grain isn't consistent. Even though I'm going for stylized, I should probably still make sure the grain has some sort of flow to it.

What do you guys think of the wood colours I've chosen? Also, is the topology okay so far? ANy advice or glaring issues?

Thanks for looking!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hokay, so today I modeled some house bits.

Some of their UV's are laid out, but most are still messy. I basically wanted to see if my colour scheme would work.
    woodtest_by_julionicoletti-d4xp5nb.png

Do you think those colours work together? Bottom right of that image is the wood I'm working on. Not happy with it right now. I think it might be too messy and broken. I might try for a clean look.

I also worked on a tiling texture for my cliffs:
    clifftest_by_julionicoletti-d4xp5pq.png

The reference I'm using to paint it is mainly the one at the top right there. I'm trying to keep the colours more flat than the reference though; I don't want the cliffs to stand out really or else my scene will become too crazay.

And critiques, ideas or input would be great :D

edit: all of my textures so far are just block ins to see if they work
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Wooow this looks great!! It's good you're planning out so much and it looks like you really enjoy churning out concepts, but be wary of your time constraints. Deadlines have an annoying tendency to creep up on you out of nowhere. :P

Wouldn't hurt to make a timeline and plan out what you want to have done each week until the deadline, really helps to nail down a pace and recognize if you bit off more than you could chew.

The cliffs are looking strange to me. I think the vertical details in them are too strong. In the reference the horizontal crevices are inset deeper and more shadowed, and the vertical craggy details are less defined (less so in the bottom left but you said you're going off the top right so that's what I'm going off of). In your texture it's looking a bit "checkerboardy" and repetitious.

I'm SUPER excited to see how this turns out though, your painting skills are pretty amazing. :thumbup:
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Regarding the modeling, you could jus have a flat cap at the end of the cylinders instead of having a vertex at the center. And the curly, swirly decorative elements could have a better distribution of segments. At the moment the big curves look a bit blocky because the segments are far apart while the tight, small swirl is really high density. You could easily take a few segments out from the small swirl to round out the silhouette of the large shapes since they will be more noticeable.

Also, how are you going to decorate the house when the walls are kind of wobbly without getting gaps?
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    subscribed!! Very pretty stuff, reminds me of working of Aragorn's Quest. Your concept and handpaintind skills are great, cant wait to see more! :)
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful, cant wait to see more.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sybrix: I might try working out a timeline. I did one before when I wanted to do the HMS Victory using Excell spreadsheets. Our time management class has us doing mind maps for our demo reel projects. I'm not a huge fan of them though. I like to write notes on my ipod before bed to tell myself what to get done the next day :P So far my timeline is to get everything modeled and uv'ed by the end of May, with blocked in textures.

Thanks for the advice on the cliffs, just the sort of help I need. Someone in my class told me it would be good to offset the vertical cracks like bricks almost so it looks less checkerboardy.
    cliff_wip_by_julionicoletti-d4xrczw.png

That thin bright layer at the top is going to be horizontal in my geo, and form the rim of the cliff. The large chunky bits will actually be extruded out.

@urgaffel: Flatcapping the cylinders...that would leave me n-gons, would it not? I'll be merging the center vertex of all my cylinders to one of the cylinders verts along the rim, so that'll kill off two tris per model right there. Thanks for the tip on the distribution of segments, I shall take note of this!

Decorating the house shouldn't be too hard, I'm just going to crash the geometry in. On the wavy bits, I'll add a slight horizontal warp to the pieces so they fit better. To hide where I crash geometry, I'll add some ambient occlusion.

And thanks jsargent, I haven't heard of Aragorn's Quest before but just looked up some screenshots. You worked on that? It's awesome! It's pretty much the exact style I'm going for. Did you guys use normal maps on anything? That's basically my biggest predicament right now...everyone is telling me I should have slight normal maps, but I'm really hesitant about this and would rather spend my file size on more geometry and higher res diffuse textures. Besides, adding normal maps adds weeks to the plan I originally had in mind..

Today I started blocking in the brick texture. I colour picked from my cliffs so I could get a consistent feel to the scene, but made sure the bricks were slightly cooler. In this image I tiled it 4 times, which is probably the most it will be tiled on-screen (for the lighthouse)
    This texture will be on the lighthouse, the chimneys and the well.

(as per usual, this is not set in stone [haha get it? stone? these are bricks? aha....ha...ahhhh sorry for that.], and I'll work on rendering it later. just a block in :P)

brick_wip_by_julionicoletti-d4xrcxy.png

Something about the colours right now seem a little boring and it also seems kinda flat. Once again, any advice or recommendations you guys have are fantastic :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well ngons are just quads/tris with invisible edges. If it bothers you, you can just create an edge across the middle and you'll have two quads :) Can't do an image at the moment but hopefully you know what I mean. Also, ngons aren't THAT bad. Just don't do it all over the place and it'll be ok.

The tiling bricks has a really obvious line that you could get rid of (3rd brick from the left, 3rd brick from the top). As for the colour, it is a little monochrome at the moment. Maybe play with the shadow colour a bit, maybe add a coloured highlight? If you're not going to add normalmaps, thenn you could try and add some subtle/simple lighting information into the texture... Although it might look weird if you're going to do a night time scene :s
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just going to be daytime so that's a good idea with the highlights!

I've spent the last hour and a bit eating fast food and trying to figure out how the hell to paint metal on my doorhinge
    metaltest_by_julionicoletti-d4xsjqd.png

It looks like freaking horse shit so far, so tips would be fantastic

Help me polycount community, you're my only hope :(
  • kelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This stuff looks nice so far :) I think for the metal, maybe start with a darker base (and a bit more blue?) and then you can really paint the highlights brightly so it reads more like metal.
  • jsargent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jsargent polycounter lvl 5
    Heya, no we didn't use normal maps for Aragorn's Quest because I worked on the original version which was for Wii only. I don't think your project would suffer from not having them but they might be nice to use in places. :) There are lots of screens and a couple of vids of the wii version on my folio site if you wanted to see any more. We had a great VFX artist too who did some really nice stylised VFX which might give you some more ideas on how to do yours if you are planning on making some.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the chips might make it look more like grey wood than metal. Check Jessica Ds textures here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94544 for inspiration on metal :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She has another thread? :O definitely going to look in to that
    Thanks kelli, I'll give it another shot today. I think you ~nailed~ the problem.
    Jsargent, thanks for the inspiration, I'll be sure to check that out :) Yup, I'm thinking I'll do normal maps for the carved wood signs maybe. Any tips for the grass? I'm having a hard time making a tiling texture for it
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okie doke, another update. Today wasn't very productive sadly. I'm not too sure why

Started modeling and texturing the lighthouse. Thoughts?
    Also, decided on a wood style I like. I'll do the same style of woodgrain everywhere
    texturework.png

And here's something I did in our environment modeling class while our teacher was showing us how to model a sidewalk. It's not for my fantasy town project, but it's hand painted so I'll throw it here anyways. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially since it only took an hour and a half :P

slab.png
    slab2.png
    Cracks could be darker

Anywho, that's it for today. Tomorrow I'm going to Anomoly 2012 with my girlfriend :D Some artists from Blizzard, Darksiders and other games will be there and there will be some presentations. There's also a blue whale skeleton in the museum where it takes place so that'll be sweet!
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I finished the crate texture on the weekend and did all the grass texturing this morning.

crates1.png

How does the wood look? It's my final crate texture, so feel free to critique it.

And here are my grasses:
    grass1.png

Beach grass:
    grass2.png

For the greener grass, I'll organize patches of it and place it around houses and trees. The beach grass will grow in patches along the sand, those little ones poking out between cliff and sand and around rocks.

Does the poly count seem to high?
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    I like the purple tone in the wood. :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polycount is almost too low! You have a lot of empty space in the those models, I'd reshape them a bit so the mesh fit the textures closer. The second to last green grass especially, that could easily be tweaked so that it's either using the same number of tris or two more tris to make it fit a bit closer. The flowers could be quads instead as well. Love the style of it though, it's going to look great :)
  • Pixelatedkiwi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelatedkiwi polycounter
    This is looking great, keep it up! Ageed with the polycount comment, don't be scared to add a little more geometry detail to really make things pop.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like what's happening in this thread.
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiainoshi polycounter lvl 9
    Your crate texture needs some top to bottom lighting otherwise it will look extremely flat.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel & pixelatedkiwi: How much higher do you think I should go on the meshes? :O
    I'm going to have grass everywhere, similar to this:
    thelegendofzeldathewindwaker_3.jpg

All my grass pieces will have animations on them so they look like they're blowing in an ocean breeze.

hugh & cholden : Thanks for the compliments :)

Saiainoshi: Hmm...I don't really know what you mean by top to bottom lighting. The crates aren't going to be static (they'll have physics attached so the player can kick them around), so if I paint in lighting like that, and the crate is tumbling around, won't that look wierd? On the meshes that won't move (house, trees, etc) I'll be baking in Ambient occlusion using a layered shader set to multiply.

I forgot to post this earlier, a tiny fix on my brick texture that had the tiling crack:
    brick2.png

My brother was saying there could be a saturation boost on it, so I think I will do that next so it's not too boring looking.

A clover patch I was working on:
    cloverpatch.png

I'm thinking I'll place a lot of these patches around the scene. Only 63 tris each and they add a lot of depth.

Another shot:
    cloverpatch2.png

And I blocked in the texture of my bean plant thingy:
    beanfruitplant1.png

Hope people don't mind that this thread is texture heavy...I apologize to all those with slow internet connections :P
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotcha, didn't know. They still need to have highlights on the corners though :)
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, thanks for reminding me about the highlights. Here's an update:
    crates2.png

I added some random dents in it for some nice texture variation.

My environment modeling teacher was telling me I should make the edges dark on the crates, rather than light. That doesn't really make sense to me; if anyone can shed some light on what he means that would be cool :P
  • Saiainoshi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really have no idea, all I know is we highlight corners always and forever in WoW. It's like dotting your I's and crossing your T's. I still think you can push those corner highlights more. I did a quick paint over for you:

2whao.jpg
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help, Saiainoshi. Means a lot :)

Here's an update:
    crates2-1.png

I added an edge loop to give the crate a bit more character, and darkened a part of the crate to add some variation.

I started to highlight more, and realized I was hitting 100% white, so I darkened the whole thing and gave another highlight pass.

And I think I might add some more geometry to this lowly crate by extruding in on the darkened area, and making the top piece pop out a bit more.
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im not a real fan of how the crates and barrels look, i love the other textures, but its something about the purpleish color, and lack of variation of the wood colour... and there seems to be way too much grain in the wood. But im absolutely loving everything else!!!!! :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The loop you added to the crate could be a bit wonky instead of going around the middle to make each side a bit different. It looks like you just added a loop around the middle and then scaled it down a bit, maybe move some verts up/down as well to give it a more unique profile on each side. Hope that makes sense...

The wood texture is nice but it has a lot of detail in it compared to your other textures (so far), maybe tone it down a bit? Can't say I'm a big fan of the AO pass on them either, they feel a bit dark and dull but that will hopefully work out better when you have proper lighting.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @njc6425: I'm not too sure what to do with the grain..without it, the planks just look like slabs of brown chunky things. And if a take out some grain, it just begins to look weird. Should I add more variation in the colour? I don't want to get too crazy with it because my scene might get too 'noisy'.

@urgaffel: I changed the crate variation a bit more. I actually ended up remodeling them; they are now 70 tris each, but are much more interesting to look at. As I'm not having normal maps, and my plant geo is pretty simple, I'm spending some extra polys on things to make them look better.

The wood on my crates is more detailed than anything else because other than some of the foliage, it's the only texture that I've finished. It's basically a test run to see if the textures on the house are going to work.

And yeah, you're both right about the wood grain. After a good sleep and coming back to it, I realize its a bit intense. Luckily, most of the grain is on it's own layer, so what I'll probably end up doing is set the layer to a lower opacity.

Here are the new crates :
    crates4.png

And this is a render of the crates in a pile with plants around them. What do people think of the clovers? Each patch is 63 tris and in this render I have 3 patches
    prop_render2.png
  • AZelenski94
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUCH better! I love how your crates look now
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oh wow, this thread is awesome!! I love how detailed your planning is (the concepts are really nice! :0) That last composition with the boxes and plants is gorgeous - maybe you can split the geo at the wood ends for a bit more interest though. Also I think the big plant needs a bit more love, like some interesting speckling on the red bulbous part, and leaf veins - the clover texture is just amazing though haha.

Sooo many textures heeeere, I lav it x]
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    i'm loving the textures =D I have been working on my stylised texturing for a while and this is really inspirational, I get the feeling that a few of your textures could do with having there levels checked though. the crate mainly, and I could very easily be wrong. Something like this maybe? just bringing in some extra shadow between each slat and adjusting the levels
    dony9k.jpg
    also agree with Jessica, add a little more geometry for added interest maybe chamfer an edge/corner or two, also the side wood panels let down this asset a bit, it doesn't match the rest of the texture. looking forward to more stuff =D
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and ideas guys, it helps a lot!
    @Jessica, yeah, that plant needs a lot of lovin'. So far the textures on it have only been blocked in, and I'm still trying to figure out a good pattern for the stem (maybe scales? ) Speckling on the bulbous part is a good idea. Maybe like a walnut texture or something could do :P

@Azzamat : I adjusted the levels a bit to darken the shadows and pop the highlights. Also added some more AO for maximum prettiness. The TA in our class said it would be good to sharpen the texture so I did that and that really popped it as well. Let me know what you think of the update:

(old texture and new texture below it)
    crates5.png

Screenshot in mayas viewport:
    crates7.png

Sorry for having pretty much an entire page dedicated to a lowly crate, I just wanna get this asset to completion so I can base my other textures around it :)

edit: haven't changed the geo yet. I shall put that on my to do list
  • Tokoya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokoya polycounter lvl 7
    Don't worry about it, this is my top subbed thread at the moment, your texture work is spot on! Sharpening was a good idea, really made the texture pop
  • aghostdream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your lowly crate makes my demo reel look like a twelve-year-old painted on their mom's face.
    So stoked on this project. Proud to say you're my boyfriend :D