Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Holdeen's Elf Girl

I got permission to model this lovely lady by Mr Dean Holdeen.

272342_1174374226_large.jpg

Any ideas what those things sticking out her head are? I'm pretty sure they are ears?
But they seem to be fury or have feathers, hard to tell because of the resolution

Here's a quick dynamesh girl I did for a start, will refine much further later.

dyna_girl.jpg

I'd appreciate any and all feedback

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    looks good man- judging by your previous work this is gonna be good. At the moment I think you could push your proportions a bit more.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    I am liking this, especially the body ! I''d work a little more on the head though. Nose feels a bit wide and the ears quite not match :)
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Great start!
    I would make her legs longer and hands shorter, less pronounced nose and eyes, sitting farther from each other.
    Face has more childish proportions.
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    furry-wing-mermaid-ears? :P
    either way, loving the anatomy so far, especially the hands, though i would probably make the legs a bit longer (lower legs) to stay truer to the concept, can't wait to see more! :)
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Everything looks great! I think the nose is a 10% bigger compared to the concept art!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sexy start, I looked at them closely myself before finding out you wanted to know what they were. If I was doing this I'd try to make them angel-wingish-feathery ears.

Pulling off that look however will be interesting, also why not ask the author?
  • EiGHT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EiGHT polycounter lvl 10
    What a BANG UP START!
    That sculpt looks so classy.

*wubscribes*
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys, fixed lots of stuff. She's still a dynamesh so still pretty mushy, gonna retopo her right quick so I refine and start adding some clothes.

dyna_girl2.jpg

Also hurray, Dean gave me this ear sketch awesome!

ears-1.jpg

Now nite nite
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I approve of these bewbs.
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Oooo really nice!! Gorgeous concept *_*
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    very awesome.
    - waist is much slimmer
    - chin and face is a different shape
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Excellent choice, I love that piece.

It's coming along awesome so far. Good job translating the proportions from the image to 3d thus far. Looking forward to more!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beautiful. Cant wait :D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I'm watching this with one of my eyes. GO GO GO MAN!
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I wish there were more hours in the day. Anyway here's a tiny update, just blocking in stuff.

elf_girl2.jpg
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^^^UPDATED IMAGE ABOVE^^^ Anybody got any ideas what those sleeves are called? I googled puffy sleeves and got a bunch of Seinfeld's pirate shirt. I need to find some decent ref
  • RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    I think they are called PUFF SLEEVES also PIRATE FEMALE COSTUMES tend to have it, nice work so far btw :)
  • Lord McMutton
  • Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Look's great so far, I quite like the feathery ears. 'tis different ^^

You could always try searching for steampunk puffy sleeves, they might possibly have better options than pirate ones.

Looking forward to more progress!
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks for the ref/comments guys, why the hell did I just search for puffy.

Any here's some more progress, I roughed in most of the folds and made some overall tweaks before I start refining and then polishing. Still gotta model those flowers on her head. Sucks that I really only have Saturdays to work on this. Maybe I should stop hitting the gym and start eating fast food again, hmmm.

elf_girl3.jpg
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    man this is suuper nice, El Scorcho. I can't wait to see the hair :)

the cloth and accessories are great. I think maybe her face could round out just a touch? and i think her mouth and nose a little too far apart right now. I wish i'd seen all your pirate sleeve refs earlier haha. I'm pumped to see the finals, go-go fast food! haha :poly142:
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man. I've seen that concept many times before, awesome to see it come together in 3d! I also can't wait to see the hair! :D
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking really awesome man, the only thing to add other than funkies comments is a more of an observation rather than a crit, but I think all the shell like metal plates of armor on her thigh could use a touch more 'depth and chunk' to them.

I think once thats normal mapped you might loose the sensation of the metal plates having any depth and instead have them give off that 'paper thin' armor feel about them.

In the concept he makes them feel deep and pop by giving them a nice darker outline, to make them feel that extra bit deeper.

Other than that man, this is looking really sweet looking forward to the finals!!
  • GabeLamas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabeLamas polycounter lvl 8
    All I can say is great work so far El Scorcho! The hair is gonna be interesting to see once you start sculpting it. Are you gonna sculpt the bag and sword as well? Anyhoo, I cannot wait to see the polypainting work if you're gonna add color to this model, which would be awesome to see!
  • Stoop_Kid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks very nice! I love all those nice and little intricate parts. I can't wait to see it with color. :D
  • Gods_Requiem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming out great! Having seen this concept before seeing it being made into 3d step by step is pretty cool. Can't wait until it's finished. The ears are working out really nice too. Don't know if you planned on doing the weapon too but if you do you should try giving it your own touch so it matches with the character instead of looking plain like in the picture.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Super awesome your doing the concept justice that's for sure, looks just like her.
    Also glad to see those ears were what I thought they were.

Can't wait to see those vibrant colors in the texturing, I know I am already there and your not even done with the sculpt. :)
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    def watching this me really nice work so far.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great! One thing that's bothering me is how thin her feet look. I know they're thin in the concept but on that they just look wrong to me as well. Maybe they need just a bit of widening around the ball of the foot to give more shape?
  • alphajayel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alphajayel polycounter lvl 6
    Looking forward to see the final model man! Great Job! Mr. Holdeen really does a lot of great, and awesome character designs! I'd like to do something like this in the future!

More power to you El Scorcho! :D
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies; Thanks, How bout some placeholder sculpt hair for now?
    I fixed her face, this better?
    No you don't, ahhh the horrors the horrors.

Callesw: Thanks, me too haha. I'm not sure how I'm gonna tackle it yet.

Hazardous: Thanks, I thickened those plates a little. Doesn't look like it from the renders though. I'm not a Zbrush rendering master like you. I'm trying though

GabeLamas: Thanks, yea definitely I'm going to try and recreate that scene from the concept. Not the background just a little pedestal with some grass, water and shrooms. About the polypainting maybe I dunno I don't do that often. That's what 3D Coat sexiness is for.

Stoop_Kid: Thanks me too.

Gods_Requiem: Thanks, what do you mean? Like a more intricate blade or handle? I like the simplicity personally, it doesn't distract from pretty girl holding it

$!nz: Haha thanks, I'm almost done now.

makecg: Thanks

Fomori: Thanks, hrmm I'm not quite sure what you mean.

alphajayel: Thanks, He is a rockstar!
    Yea definitely, I'm having a lot fun modeling her.

Almost done with the high poly, just a little more refinement and detailing before I start the low poly. I swear those mesh things above her puff sleeves don't actually look that bad. I'm not to experienced with rendering out of Zbrush

elf_girl4b.jpg
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    this looks great man, nice work. My only crit would be the creases on the boot make it look like a thinner crisper material than what I think you're going for. I know you're going with those sharp edged creases to aid the stylised theme, but I think you can define the material better and still keep it looking stylised.

Looks beautiful otherwise, look forward to seeing it textured
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godlike hair man. my favourite part on the whole sculpt. You nailed that volume and movement!!

P.S Zbrush render master ??? I hit Shift R - the rest is photoshop!! One thing regarding that though, is i alwyas double my canvas size and render at that size and export the resulting documents out so im always working at massive sizes. Then when you shrink it down, it will have a nice AA feel about it.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Godlike hair man. my favourite part on the whole sculpt. You nailed that volume and movement!!
    +1

Really great work so far. Can´t wait for the lowpoly and textures - keep us posted, please :)
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Gorgeous work! I'm really impressed by the crispness of it all. The only thing I have some small concern with is that the face is missing some of the gentleness of the illustration. What you have looks awesome anyway as your own interpretation though. It's going to be an amazing model!
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic, that hair is amazing.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    heym..durr, how did I forget this thread. Your elf turned into a wonderful piece of sexyness. I really love what you did, me likey her nose, clothes and dem bewbs.

Her shoes/feet seems a tad too small, but that a minor detail. Gratzies
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Amazing work so far man. Love the curves and the small wrinkles/ details describing the fabric.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work! I am just curious how you gonna do her hair as low poly...
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really nice! and yea that hair is pretty fantastic!
  • El Scorcho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace: thanks dude, eyes like an eagle man. I softened those creases some.

Hazardous: Wow thanks man! I rarely get complements like that. And thanks for the tip on ZB rendering.

ghost-d: Thank you I will :)

haikai: Thanks man, hrmmm I'll see what I can do to bring back that softness to her face and skin with some material work.

Darkleopard: Thanks

Scythe: Thanks man, Small feet? I thought they were a little big compared to the concept and was going to scale them down or elongate them.

disanski: Thanks

fabio brasilien: Thanks dude, I'm not quite sure yet. I think I will be doing some kinda hybrid between the way Tera did their hair and the traditional alpha plane method.

woogity: Thanks

So I finally got the low poly made and the initial bakes done. Hair is a quick decimated stand in for now. Actual hair will be a sorta Tera and traditional strip style hybrid. Looks like I got some bake nasties to clean and then it's on to coloring inside the lines like a big boy haha.

On a side note anybody here got some good links/advice/tricks/etc for using modo 601? I've using this side project to learn how to use it.

elf_girl_fresh_bake.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Wow that bake turned out great! Can we see some wireframes?
  • dii
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dii
    Absolutely gorgeous man, can't wait to see it textured.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    fantastic work!!

Holdeen is one of my favourite concept artists too!

Minor crit.. the arms seem a tad long.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea man... this is stunning. I have to say its one of my fav models I have seen in a long long time. I would love to see the wires too.
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    El Scorcho wrote: »
    Funky Bunnies; Thanks, How bout some placeholder sculpt hair for now?
    I fixed her face, this better?
    No you don't, ahhh the horrors the horrors.

Callesw: Thanks, me too haha. I'm not sure how I'm gonna tackle it yet.

Hazardous: Thanks, I thickened those plates a little. Doesn't look like it from the renders though. I'm not a Zbrush rendering master like you. I'm trying though

GabeLamas: Thanks, yea definitely I'm going to try and recreate that scene from the concept. Not the background just a little pedestal with some grass, water and shrooms. About the polypainting maybe I dunno I don't do that often. That's what 3D Coat sexiness is for.

Stoop_Kid: Thanks me too.

Gods_Requiem: Thanks, what do you mean? Like a more intricate blade or handle? I like the simplicity personally, it doesn't distract from pretty girl holding it

$!nz: Haha thanks, I'm almost done now.

makecg: Thanks

Fomori: Thanks, hrmm I'm not quite sure what you mean.

alphajayel: Thanks, He is a rockstar!
    Yea definitely, I'm having a lot fun modeling her.

Almost done with the high poly, just a little more refinement and detailing before I start the low poly. I swear those mesh things above her puff sleeves don't actually look that bad. I'm not to experienced with rendering out of Zbrush

elf_girl4b.jpg

this is so amazing, gj

how do you make the seperate items? are they modelled in 3d program then bring into zbrush or do you sculpt all inside zbrush? i dont understand how you model all these amazing pieces. when i try to sculpt clotches it becomes all squashed and messy when pulling out clotches. ty very much if u reply. :)
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kingdom for wires.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So awesome man, I get all giddy when I see artist make great chick models and this is no exception!!!
  • jfeez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jfeez polycounter lvl 8
    This looks awesome, cant wait to see her textured
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Man this is looking awesome. The bake came out so clean, if you dont mind me asking can you please do a breakdown of your normal and AO baking process. I can get some pretty decent bakes but nothing like that. Looking great man the textures are gonna look so good I can already tell.