Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Superman - Arkham

Hey Guys and Gals.

I started this awhile ago but over Easter I finally had some time to work on it again and now I have the motivation to get it done.

The goal is to have him match the style/quality of Batman: Arkham City, maybe not quite as dark though. He is also based heavily on Alex Ross's Superman.

Current WIP.

superman_suit_progress_01.jpg

Almost done with the sculpt but still have a fair bit of work ahead of me following that. I have to sculpt folds on everything and will probably smooth out the anatomy so it looks more like a suit and less like a naked guy in undies and a cape.

I will probably be redoing the hair with alpha planes as well because they don't appear to have sculpted the hair for Arkham City and its something I need to actually get good at.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• joshA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    now that you said it he does look a little nude its like he wearing nothing at all
    but great job hope to see more
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome, I would definitely go in and start texturing this bad boy. Good work!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hahaha ACE. Cool idea. I don't really have any crits, but I can say I am pretty keen to see some more.

ohhhh actually the belly button should be up higher. Pretty much where it looks like you put it originally. In line with the elbows-ish. You may need to re sculpt the abs :(. but just a little bit.

killer work.
  • MGrecke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MGrecke polycounter lvl 7
    Looks amazing! Maybe add some more details to the suit? if you're going for a look simular to the batman games?

also I dont like how his trousers or what to call them look like, they look too... inflatet compared to the rest of the super tight suit.
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Man this is looking sweet, Im especially drawn to the hands, I dont know if your still gonna work on them, but im really diggin on them. Great work.
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great so far, anatomy looks pretty much spot on and I really dig the look of his face. You could certainly do worse than Alex Ross as far as Superman references go.

If you're looking to emulate the style of the Batman games, though, I think you could stand to make his physique more exaggerated. Batman is ridiculously barrel-chested in those games (hell, everyone is huge - even Jim Gordon looks pretty jacked), and if him and Clark were to stand next to each other, I think it'd be a bit silly if Batman is noticeably beefier.

Having said that, the overly pumped physique is probably my least favourite aspect of the Batman design in the Arkham games, and I actually much prefer the look of your Superman - but if your goal is to specifically recreate the look and style of the games I definitely think it's something you should consider.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah the face is rather nice, definitely Alex Ross-esque.

I'd recheck the anatomy though, there are quite a few errors and some glaring such as the quads (your rectus femoris isn't going in the right direction, and you're lacking even a hint of sartorius). Also the knee and lower leg could be more elegant, there's allot of odd bulges right now that don't make sense.

Looking forward to see how this develops.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, Thanks for all the great crit guys, I really appreciate it!! :)

joshA: haha, supernude.

chrisradsby: I will get to texturing as soon as I make a few fixes, still trying to figure out the best approach for this one, whether I should texture the high poly or the low.

duncan: I think you are right about the belly button, it did look more normal before I put the belt on. I will have a play with it though.

MGrecke: Your right. The pants area (underwear?) do look much to inflated, Something I will work on, as well as adding some detail.

praetor187: Glad you like the Hands. Probably going to refine them a bit more and put a bit more detail into them though.

Jigsaw: You bring up a good point. I guess maybe I wasn't so sure about the over the top barrelled chest either. If you look at Robin in Arkham City though, and some of the DLC "Costumes" for Batman, I wouldn't say that that chest shape doesn't vary though. I might keep it as is for now, and maybe I will adjust it if it's still not fitting the style once its textured, posed and in UDK.

Super: I agree, I still have a fair bit to learn about anatomy (I even had to look up the muscles you named specifically). I will work on the legs a bit futher before I move on to texturing. Thanks.

I should have all day tomorrow to work on it, So I should be able to post an update with hopefully a few fixes and changes.

Thanks again for the nice comments and the feedback, you guys rock! :thumbup:
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    great work, nailed the hair and everyting else! cant wait to see it textured
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    take a look at those forearm muscles again, particularly where theywrap around the bicep.

there's an un-natural shape happening at the bottom of the bicep because of the way you've sculpted them. remember that they start out at the bottom of the humerous, and wrap around and down the forarm... but your sculpt shows one of them just cutting off out of nowhere.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Almighty_gir is right. Some ref might help better illustrate this.

fig21.jpg

Good luck.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry about the late reply. On top of playing too many games, I have been super busy lately with starting a new job and trying to find a new place to live and getting my life sorted.

Tried to take on board everything that has been said so far, sorry if I have missed something.

superman_suit_progress_02.jpg
    superman_suit_progress_02_close.jpg

The tight folds on the suit are a test really, not really happy with them so will play with them a bit more and try to get the hang of them. The boots need some more love too, maybe I over did them a bit.

Thanks guys! :)
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    He looks awesome so far. I feel that the calves could be a bit bigger and from the side view the area where the back of the knee transitions to the upper calf looks a little too skinny.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I second what everybody else says, however...

One of the great things about Bats in Arkham was how he looked towards the end of the game, beat up, slightly bloody, ripped etc. ATM, this looks fantastic for Supes... But it looks the same as every other Superman model/texture? You know? The main issue with this guy that people have is that hes boring... He can't be killed... Thats... Dull. But nobody said he cant get the shit kicked out of him.

Its something everybody loves, when the hero falls, only to rise again. A beat up looking Supes here would be perfect, and fit in with the style too.
  • Rigoberto1
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it all looks pretty good so far. Aside from whats already mentioned the lower ears could use some tweaking. Your pics don't show em too well but they still look a bit misshapen.
    regarding the hair, for the Joker they used a base on the model heavily covered in alpha planes but from the screens I can find of Gordon it doesn't really look like there's any alpha going on. Considering Supe's haristyle I'd go this route with a few alpha's here and there like trim and his "curl".

if you still want to fit the AA style, I found this pic ages ago.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's been awhile... but I have come back to this to get it done. I may have changed direction with him a bit since I started, but I'm pretty happy with how he's looking now. Still need to pose him I guess. I used Marmoset Toolbag to render.
    artofchevy_superman_tpose.jpg
  • X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    Sweeet work dude, Can't wait to seem him posed! nice texture work
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i realise it's probably too late to change it now, but his jawline looks incredibly harsh.

on top of that, while you've nailed a generic superman look, i don't feel like you've nailed an arkham style superman.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks X³²Lapis

Thanks for the feedback Gir, kinda agree with you about the style. Do you think its the textures and render style or more to do with the proportions/model? Or the whole thing entirely? :P