Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Head model (3d max)

hey all, this is my first head model, not sure were im going with it yet. will try and learn some z brush skills and add some details via that. but i would apreaciate any advice on what i have done already

First Build just getting the loops right
headbuildstage1.jpg

final shape

headbuildstage3.jpg

headbuildstage5.jpg

headbuildstage6.jpg

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    You need to work on structure of the anatomy, don't think about details just yet. Your loops were better in the first iteration, now you have wide stretchy polys at the front of the head where all of the facial structure is located, which means a lack of details.

You should aim for topology that mimics the muscle system underneath...some ideas here:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/FaceTopology?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryTopology%5Cb%29

I would lean towards that kind of structure myself, but topology can cary a lot:
    FaceTopology?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=bunk_genericmesh.jpg

Anatomy should be broken down into planes to better understand structure or else it just looks like a ball without any underlying construction:

Planes-of-the-Face.jpg
  • Darkendxelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you that link has alot of the refrences one i could not find, i can see what you meen about the streched polys now that i look at it compaired to the other models. Time to improve :)
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    A good way to start learning facial anatomy is to jump straight into zbrush and start pulling shapes out of a sphere. This will help you think more about form and structure without worrying about the technical side, like where to place edge loops and stuff.

When you're confident enough, you can always bring your low res zbrush sculpt into 3ds and use it as a reference to build your base mesh.
  • Phrexeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phrexeus polycounter lvl 6
    Sculpt in zbrush, then put the high-res mesh into topogun or similar and draw the low-res mesh directly onto the surface. Much faster than moving verts around in max.