Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] The Illusionist room

Hi Polycounters,

I wanted to share my latest scene, as well my first post here.
This is one of the scene from animated movie called "The Illusionist" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0775489/, many other beautiful scene on the movie but I will try with this one.

Any suggestion, critique, or comment are much appreciate :)

Here are the screenshot from the movie:
01originalu.jpg

And here's the UDK screen.
udkillusionistroom01til.png
udkillusionistroom02til.png
udkillusionistroom03til.png
wire
udkillusionistroom01wir.jpg

Update soon

Replies

• Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    It is looking really solid. I would dingy up the walls a bit. They seem a little to clean compared to the concept you are working from. The camera also seems a little far back. I personally might also add a little bit of dirt to the mirror. This looks really nice so far though.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    loved this movie, great job so far!
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Some objects don't look very grounded in your scene. The suitcase for example, the cage too. This might be caused by the SSAO. By default it's very nasty, you should change it to a higher quality mode or disable it and bake AO in lightmaps.

Your main shot works pretty well, but the others just lack a good composition/dressing at the moment.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    It looks like your room is a little too long, it doesn't give the same 'cramped' feeling that the screenshot does.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    You should change UDK's FOV to match it, go to console command and type 'FOV'. I believe the default value is 90 which for your scene is too wide, something like 60?
  • 3dmaxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for all the suggestion, I turned off the SSAO and change the position and FOV of the camera.

udkillusionistroom01scr.png
    how about this one?
  • Darkbladecr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better, gives a better cramped feeling!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Really lovely scene
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    I love it. Are you using any post-process effects on the scene to achieve the cartoony look? Or is it all just done with the textures of the props?
  • 3dmaxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it. Are you using any post-process effects on the scene to achieve the cartoony look? Or is it all just done with the textures of the props?

I'm using yellow and blue lighting for the scene ,Color Grading and Exponential Height fog to add depth to the scene. In a different lighting scheme, the asset doesn't look too cartoon

Here are the texture sheet for the scene:
    udkillusionistroomtex.png
    ParoXum wrote: »
    Some objects don't look very grounded in your scene. The suitcase for example, the cage too. This might be caused by the SSAO. By default it's very nasty, you should change it to a higher quality mode or disable it and bake AO in lightmaps.

Your main shot works pretty well, but the others just lack a good composition/dressing at the moment.

Thank you for noticing, right now I'm updating the main shot, but I will try to find a better view for other shot.

I update the wall with vertex color to add more variation, I don't want to make it too dirty
    udkillusionistroom01scr.png

Thank you for all your input, it means a lot for my work
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great, make sure you spend some time on the lighting later on.

I doubt you would need the fog because that would actually lighten and reduce contrast on certain areas whereas you actually want contrast between light and dark. You should turn off the main room light off as the lights on the mirror are the main source. Make these lights dimmer and have a quicker fall off so the other side of the room is darker. You could add in some extra ambient light from the window if needed.

As the guys not in the scene you might need something on the table to balance out the composition and give it an end focal point since your eyes flow nicely around the scene and you end up at the moment with a empty chair.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    I dig this idea a lot. You're executing it excellently. This scene looks super awesome man. You're getting in all the right details. Very immersive. A+
  • bgivenb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bgivenb polycounter lvl 5
    now that looks just downright sexy