Home General Discussion

Path of Exile - Public Weekend

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
firestarter polycounter lvl 18
http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/

For original Diablo fans across the globe. It is definitely a PC game, nothing casual about this even if it is F2P. Give it a go, I much prefer it over that 'other' beta currently about.

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I got into the beta for this a while ago. Still have yet to install it though. hmmm

But i am definitely a hack and slash type person
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    So much retro that it made my brain hurt.

It's a good thing BTW.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was going to post this up, cool that someone else did though.

Would be awesome to get some feedback on what people think about the art, outside of the fanboys that post on our forums. :P
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    the art is great. you probably heard this countless times but this is what diablo's style should have evolved into.
    i love those strong clear shadows, normal maps, fairly realistic approach to specularity and glossiness, cool atmospheric effects, lack of fairy color palettes, and so on.

Granted that i'm mostly comparing it to D3 since i don't know any modern hack'n'slash besides it. but on its own POE also looks really good. Some environments like jungle have loads of cool details that make them feel convincing. It's even more impressive considering that, as i recall, you have a fairly small team working on the game.

btw i really like the new interface, the gold one was a bit cheap but this one's spot on.

One thing that sticks out is that normal maps/displacements seem too strong on some surfaces, mostly on older screens. and certain rusty textures feel a bit like they're from mid 90's, for example here:
    http://s3.pathofexile.com/gen/image/YTozOntpOjA7aTowO2k6/MjthOjI6e3M6MjoiaWQi/O2k6MTA5O3M6NDoic2l6/ZSI7czo0OiJvcmlnIjt9/aToxO2k6NDt9/01128d2490/Path_of_Exile_Screenshot_79.jpg

i was also going to write that i wish POE had more macabre like Diablo 1, but then i saw this screen:
    http://s3.pathofexile.com/gen/image/YTozOntpOjA7aTowO2k6/MjthOjI6e3M6MjoiaWQi/O2k6OTk7czo0OiJzaXpl/IjtzOjQ6Im9yaWciO31p/OjE7aTo0O30,/990b2a300e/Path_of_Exile_Screenshot_71.jpg

:)
  • xocol4t4
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blaisoid:
    Glad you like the new UI. I'm still not 100% fine with it but it's coming along and is still under constant revisions. Soo, it'll probably end up looking better than it does now.

In terms of the textures, yeah most of them are actually quite old, that's the reason for their lower quality...the newer ones are mostly better. Thanks to Sculptaur for being such a Master-Pro in baking ;)
  • pinkbaby
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grinding Gear Games are throwing another Open Beta Weekend May 11th-13th.
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep. Pretty big patch too, we have announced a new character class, "The Shadow". http://www.pathofexile.com/classes/shadow

I did the sculpt and low poly model. :D
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I shall create and play (for a bit, wrong class for me) a Shadow in your honour then Sculptaur.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after saying it was a wrong class for me, I've enjoyed playing the Shadow immensely! So fast, nice job. I await the crippling nerf =[
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Finally installed and played the beta on my lunch. Besides a lot of game crashing when changing my video settings, I rather like it, so far. I see huge potential. I started with a duelist.

I love the items, and the gem skills are a pretty cool idea. Having different types of armour ratings (armour, evasion, etc) is wonderful. I didn't have time to really look at the skill point system, but they look like they are all passives. which makes me wonder what the point of classes even is if everyone uses the same skills they find on the ground. Though, i dunno if there are restrictions later on or what. Ive only played an hour or so.

Though, Im wondering just how rare "rares" are. I spawn, walk maybe 3 screen legnths and see a rare bow sitting on the beach, which is awesome, but at the same time, not...

LOVE that you can use orb of transmutation to turn a regular item into a magical item. Really cool idea. I enjoy the flasks for health / mana regen. They are your potions, but they refill over time / by killing enemies. So you really cant just buy a crap ton and spam them. Specially since when used, they fill you back up slowly. not instantly.

However, the game did feel kind of slow to me. breaking open barrels is pure agony with how damn slow the animation is. Let us attack it with our fast weapons. not a slow ass stomp.

The graphics are ok. Kind of makes the game FEEL like a F2P, but Ill hold off judgement till I get home. I havent really seem much yet, and on the computer at work, im playing with low settings. I`ll check it out more when I get home to my good computer.

But ya, everything just kinda seems slow. Animations, attacks. walking around. *shrug* would be nice to see it sped up a bit. Though, maybe there are skills to increase attack speed and run speed and stuff. I dont know. Hopefully though!

I personally hate having scrolls to identify stuff. I much prefer D3's new way of just right clicking, but I can see why they are in it. They pretty much are a staple of the genre.

The colour scheme of it all is kind of bland, which is fine, but it really makes it difficult to see when items drop. Nothing really makes them stand out. Especially with magical / rare items. I would love to see some sort of glow around them.

Does anyone know what kind of rarities there are for items? Does it go common, magic, rare, legendary , something after legendary? I really really hope so. Love me some loot! Also, is there magic find implemented into the game?

So far so good, devs! Keep it up. I think I`ll be doing a pre-purchase for this. Support the devs and all. Can't wait to see how the game evolves, and what kind of loot you guys come up with. Hopefully it's worth the time it takes to find the super rare stuff. Nothing worse than seeing a legendary drop just to find out it sucks.....
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    I didn't have time to really look at the skill point system, but they look like they are all passives. which makes me wonder what the point of classes even is if everyone uses the same skills they find on the ground. Though, i dunno if there are restrictions later on or what. Ive only played an hour or so.

There really aren't any restrictions as such but different classes start at different areas of the Skill Forest and they do have class specific skills/perks closer to that class starting point. It's freedom of choice, if you want a bastard sword wielding witch you can have that.
    Though, Im wondering just how rare "rares" are. I spawn, walk maybe 3 screen legnths and see a rare bow sitting on the beach, which is awesome, but at the same time, not...

You got lucky! Rares are relatively common in comparison to D3, but they are part of the economy. You can trade in 2 identically named rares (Bobbies Casual Facebooker dagger + Bobbies Casual Facebooker short sword) for an Orb of Alchemy, which in turn is used to create one rare item from a white item. The economic system is quite complex, and mysterious at first, it reaps rewards from getting to grips with it over time.
    However, the game did feel kind of slow to me. breaking open barrels is pure agony with how damn slow the animation is. Let us attack it with our fast weapons. not a slow ass stomp.

The marauder is pretty lumbering initially, the other classes aren't so much. Regardless you can fix that in a number of different ways whatever the class.
    The graphics are ok. Kind of makes the game FEEL like a F2P, but Ill hold off judgement till I get home. I havent really seem much yet, and on the computer at work, im playing with low settings. I`ll check it out more when I get home to my good computer.

I have some reservations with the art direction in terms of the character stuff, I really don't think they made the best of it in terms of 'cool', trying to be different doesn't always pay. However when you get into the dungeony sections, there's a fair bit of beauty to be had, the lighting is great down there in the dark. I've become quite accustomed to how it looks overall, and prefer it over that soft Bobbies Casual Facebo...
    Does anyone know what kind of rarities there are for items? Does it go common, magic, rare, legendary , something after legendary? I really really hope so. Love me some loot! Also, is there magic find implemented into the game?

Yeah, common, magic, rare and unique. Where rare is more common than usual, uniques are rarer than usual. I've found 1 since starting play last november.

This reply sponsored by an enthusiastic supporter. =]
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Nice response! Thanks!

I picked duelist, actually. Not maurauder.

Most common rares, but more rare uniques sounds good to me, as long as those uniques are fan-freaking-tastic. If i find one, and dont even contemplate using it, I`ll be pissed. I dont need no broken D3 style looting. haha.

But nice! you can turn your whites into rares as well? That's awesome. Rares you find, are they better than rares you can turn into? Or do they come from the same pool? Just random stats kinda thing?

Ill definitely be playing this more. See what it's all about. It definitely seems very very deep that Ive just scratched the surface on. Even just selling stuff. You get barter items? weiiird.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Can't wait till the game comes out of Closed stages and into full Public.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most common rares, but more rare uniques sounds good to me, as long as those uniques are fan-freaking-tastic. If i find one, and dont even contemplate using it, I`ll be pissed. I dont need no broken D3 style looting. haha.

They do appear to be really quite powerful. They rebalance and remove skills and items quite regularly tho, still beta so...
    But nice! you can turn your whites into rares as well? That's awesome. Rares you find, are they better than rares you can turn into? Or do they come from the same pool? Just random stats kinda thing?

Just my observations (not into that statistic malarkey), the rares you find as drops are totally random, but the rares that you create have a much greater chance of being what you hoped for. As you've already noticed armour comes in a number of different ratings, pure armour, pure evasion and pure energy, and mixes of 2 of those stats. Obviously evasion is for a lightly armoured rogue like class, so when you orb a white item with an evasive stat, it seems that it has a much greater chance of having, for example, +20 dexterity applied to it as a rare. I could be wrong, and have just been lucky hah.

You can further improve rares, beforehand; improve the quality of the white item by applying blacksmith/armourer stones, and after orbing to a rare, applying other even rarer orbs. There's plenty of mistakes to be made in getting what you want =D
    Ill definitely be playing this more. See what it's all about. It definitely seems very very deep that Ive just scratched the surface on. Even just selling stuff. You get barter items? weiiird.

I've been wondering if they had the forethought to circumvent the gold farmers with the way the economy works, as they really won't get a foothold here. Bloody genius if so, and fun.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

Ace Angel, open beta starts real soon. Character wipes!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I did a pre-purchase and got a couple of closed beta keys. Gave 1 away already. have 1 left. If any polycounter that is actually posting would like one, hit me up in a PM. New accounts need not apply.
  • hostilis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hostilis polycounter lvl 13
    The patch right now seems to buffed up the difficulty which I really like. I also love the skill system, which can create a whole new different combinations of spells like a Totem summoning an army of skeletons that EXPLODES!

I'm also playing this right now but I need a beta key for a friend :(.

Add me up IGN:hostilis.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod