Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Starship Bridge [WIP]

Hello polycount,

Have been working on this scene for a while now and its time to see what others think of it so far. Need some fresh eyes so i appreciated any and all critique you guys have.

Progress:
zYF7w.jpg

Reference:oGz92.jpg

Modeled the table and floor in 1/4ths thinking i could just duplicate and rotate em around but been having issue with the normal map seam, and just found out recently that mirroring in UDK is really bad too :(
rt0cu.png

Normal Map Seam:
LpWIh.jpg

Any suggestions?? if all else fails i think ill just have to merge the mesh as one but ill be losing UV space

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like a good start.

I think it would be a good idea to set up some lighting in here, even if its placeholder. The space just feels kinda dark and uninspiring right now.

I like the reference, but i feel like the yellow curly bits, while fitting nicely in the concept...look out of place in your scene. I think it might be that the yellow pops too much, or maybe its because your door and table lack a lot of the mechanical details that make it fit in.

Your table doesn't pop as nicely as the image in the reference. The ref has glowy bits on the underside that helps everything pop, but your details all kinda get lost. It might be due to dark lighting, might also be from lack of material definition as well. I think you can improve a lot on the table.

As for your seam...is this scene using baked lighting? Have you taken a look at what it looks like without the normal map applied? Maybe its a lightmass issue. Getting seams in your lightmap is a pretty common problem.

If not, I found a bunch of results involving mirrored uvs doing a google search. Maybe this thread can help? http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75993
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    No, the problem with the yellow/gold florals is that in the reference they're a different material and have 'depth', but in the re-do they're just painted on.
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol: Yep you're right. It was a lightmap seam afterall. Thanks for pointing that out. After searching around i haven't found a fix for this issue within UDK, most people have just been hiding the seam so its less visible. My temp fix for now is drawing a pure black soft brush across the edge of the spec map where the intersecting is so the seam wont show.
    RK5er.jpg
  • Sithis324
  • Joker_47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    I have a feeling what this is Elven starship ) Nice modeling BTW.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I feel like you could gain something from racer445's metal tutorial. None of your materials are reading very well in their current state.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/photoshop/how-to-hand-paint-convincing-metal-textures/

As far as the scene as a whole, I feel it would be really nice to have some warm hughes in the nebulous stars outside the window to contrast with all the cool colors inside.
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea i have a long way to go with the scene, texture work as well. i have seen racer's tutorial. Really great stuff there. Will be updating soon with more finalized work.

Just curious if anyone has any tips for making holograms??
    Iv havent been able to get that "soft light" feel to it as most of mine have harsh edges.

Here's what iv been able to do so far. 1st time makning holograms so any tips would be appreciated. obO91.jpg
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump offset can be great although not always work! a simple way around is to just copy and paste your planes and move close together.

Looking good so far!

As for the harsh areas you want to get a "bloom" effect.. To do this multiply by like 10 or 20 to achieve this!

For the hologram on the table you could use a rounded alpha so that the middle is bright and the edges fade out. an alpha like this is what I mean.

mask.jpg

I'm not 100% sure how you would multiply it right now but it shouldn't be hard.
  • Sithis324
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkthwilson: Thanks for the critique. I was able to get the hologram softer with the alpha like that. Not able to get a bloom yet tho, multiplying by 10 only made the maps brighter( the Lines). The hologram in the back was able to get a bloom so kinda confused as to why i cant get it on the table hologram.

Anyways a quick update, tried fixing the lighting and added in a post process chain. Gonna start fixing up the textures on everything.
    JQwpC.jpg
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, still looking good though with the softer circular effect! keep it up!!