Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Axe, Mary Safro

wip2.jpg

I wanted to join the Polycount community for a long time, and thought this contest would be a good opportunity.

I'm going with the Crow temple theme. Didn't know what weapon to pick though. I think my final design is a mix of an axe and a mace XD Hopefully the axe category is appropriate for it. Any crits would be greatly appreciated, as I don't have much experience with weapon designs.
sketches:
sketches.jpg
design i went with in the end:
finalconcept.jpg

I'll post my modelling progress shots in the next couple of days. It might be a good idea to follow the Vigil artist's workflow, so I'm going to model it as cleanly and detailed as I can before throwing it into Zbrush.

Replies

• ENODMI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    This is seriously awesome! I think the top detail should be repeated in the base somehow. Its such a strong design, and going from it to the bottom is quite jarring. You could bring some of the same colors and values down there or maybe bring some of the details from the top
    maybe like this? just an idea
    finalconcept_paintover.jpg
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI wrote: »
    This is seriously awesome! I think the top detail should be repeated in the base somehow. Its such a strong design, and going from it to the bottom is quite jarring. You could bring some of the same colors and values down there or maybe bring some of the details from the top
    maybe like this? just an idea
    finalconcept_paintover.jpg

Thanks for the overpaint, this is a great idea actually! Originally i wanted to make it look a bit like a crow's foot, but I think Darksider's weapons tend to be more decorative. Should definitely rework the pommel design.
  • Pixeldemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great silhouette and colors! Agree that a chunkier looking base would be good.
  • randomind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    randomind polycounter lvl 6
    yay more crow stuff!
    i would trie to get an other material inbetween the crow skulls, that could give it a more interesting contrast in color.
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modelprogress.jpg
    ..Long time no post. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, guys :) Here's my basemesh I'll use for sculpting. Usually I make an in-game mesh straight away, but this time I followed the livestream tutorial and made a detail mesh to work from. Retopologising produces better normal maps anyway.
    Oh, and I redid that concept too, but I'll have to post it when I get back home from uni :)
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress on the sculpt.
    wip.jpg
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, I'll consider it finished, i guess, unless anyone has any crits :) There isn't much time left so I'll get to retopologising asap.
    wip2.jpg
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was working in a crow temple axe too. I think your's is far over mine. Very nice and above all original silhouette and its nicely decorated, all the details in a good scale. Not too simple, not overelaborated. The sculpt is well-finished. Everything is going by the book.

Tonight I'll bow down and worship you instead of the gods of metal to whom I normally address my prayers.
    (KIDDING, but I'll be watching you)
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So to answer your question, yeah, I think its time you start your retopo and make a weapon worthy of the GODS OF DEATH!!!!!! It's downhill from now on.
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, zelldweller :)
    I've been working on retopology for the last couple of days. I've been struggling keeping my axe within the budget, and even after all the reductions it's still over 2,500..which is ridiculous D: Arghhh.
    A very first test bake, still with all the artifacts and mess. I'll work on reducing polycount further...

Untitled-1.jpg
  • Pixeldemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! I initially chose a very high-poly silhouette too; I did have to make a lot of compromises to get into the ~1500 triangle range. I'm just hoping I can get the normal maps to carry the detail I wanted.
  • zelldweller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep the part of the beaks and anihilate all those polys in the central part, like around the jewel. you kept too much polys there. The silhouete you have to hold is the front one, forget about keeping all the bumps outside that border.
    Look at this. I got this model at 1700 polys but started cutting from 2500 because I had tried to hold the form on the spikes at the top, all the eyes holes in the skulls, etc. In the end I changed it for something that its almost flat. and you couldn't see the diference if you didn't examine it very close.

kickass_axe_videogame_3d_realtime_by_zelldweller-d4tcn11.jpg
  • marysafro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelldweller, thanks for the advice. Your weapon looks awesome :)
    I've cut some more geometry and got my tricount to 1984..still way too much, but I had no time to tweak this any further. From tomorrow I'll have to work on my uni projects, so I'll submit what I've done for now, even if it's over the limit and generally wrong :) I've learned a great deal from looking at other peoples workflows, thanks Polycount!
    presentation.jpg
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    it looks good, great job
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    If you can get it down to 1800 I'd say you'd be fine. I say this because a few entries so far have exceeded 1500 and the highest is 1800.