Old (#1)
I know this is right on the Contest page, but I think it should get some special attention: The theme of your weapon. It is very important you know and establish your theme early on so that it drives every creative decision you make going forward. Vigil has very distinct themes for Darksiders II. Here is the important snippet from the Contest page.

Darksiders II Info

Darksiders is heavily fantasy based. Please avoid anything that look Sci-Fi. Weapons in Darksiders II are broken up into six themes. Your entry may use any of the following themes (Please do not mix themes outside of Darksiders Core).

For reference, please refer to this image in addition to the descriptions below:

• Darksiders Core: Leather, Metal, Bone, Skulls, Wraps, Bolts, and Spikes are all common details used throughout Darksiders.
  • Angelic: The Angelic designs are very sculptural and ornate. Stoic faces and wings are common details. These are often the most refined looking weapons.
  • Demonic: Twisted and chaotic. The weapons often look as if they were possessed. Spikes, Horns and Teeth.
  • Maker: Maker themed weapons should all look forged. They often incorporate metal and stone.
  • Crow Temple: Crow Skulls along with purple tones are the primary design treatment for Crow temple assets.
  • Kingdom of the Dead: The weapons of the dead are primarily metal and are often bladed or have many spikes. Skulls and vented details are used as relief.

Additional reference information: Various members of the Vigil team will be live streaming their workflow throughout the duration of the contest. Up first will be Polycount’s very own Brian ‘BoBo_the_Seal’ Jones. Check out their Livestream.com page as the first stream begins this Thursday, March 1st 2012 at 6PM CST
Offline , Administrator, 9,018 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  

Old (#2)
When it comes time to submit your entry to the submissions thread we will ask that you also include which theme you've decided to use for your weapon.

So a submission would look like:

<User name> - Demonic Axe
[images]

We'll be sure to remind you of this in the submissions thread.
Offline , Administrator, 9,018 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Toronto, Canada Send a message via AIM to adam Send a message via MSN to adam  

Old (#3)
the live stream has been posted:

http://livestre.am/1jy8H

- BoBo
Offline , Moderator++, 1,606 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin Texas!  

Old (#4)
could you post some runes on the forum please?
thank you :3

Last edited by hannes d; 03-10-2012 at 04:08 PM..
sketchbook
-Hannes
Offline , triangle, 269 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location belgium  

Old (#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes d View Post
could you post some runes on the forum please?
thank you :3
I posted a wallpaper from Darksiders in the Q&A thread with some runes on it.

Also this is not the place to ask for this...
Offline , polygon, 513 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Munich, Germany Send a message via Skype™ to Piflik  

Old (#6)
Ive noticed some people seem to have a bounding box/collision model to show the shape they need to make the weapon for it to work in game? Any chance we could have a link to that model here so we can all use it?
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,382 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location UK  

Old (#7)
Ged - You can find it on the DS2 Contest info page
Freelance Character Artist
afisher.com.au - ArtStation
Offline , triangle, 471 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location Australia Send a message via Skype™ to afisher  

Old (#8)
Second Livestream can be watched here.
Offline , polygon, 513 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Munich, Germany Send a message via Skype™ to Piflik  

Old (#9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afisher View Post
Ged - You can find it on the DS2 Contest info page
what!? haha I looked for it on that page I swear oh well there it is so thanks!
Offline , veteran polycounter, 4,382 Posts, Join Date Feb 2007, Location UK  

Old (#10)
tomorrow time changes 1 hour
don't forget to change your clock, and be 1 h late for deadline
sketchbook
-Hannes
Offline , triangle, 269 Posts, Join Date Sep 2011, Location belgium  

Old (#11)
All submission pages are now closed. Congratulations to those who finished - and good luck! We'll update the News page with more information as is comes online.

Last edited by adam; 03-26-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old (#12)
Congratulations to all who finished. I had expected more, but nevertheless there are tons of really hot weapons in the three treads. Looking forward to swinging some of those in the game.

Old (#13)
There are exactly 150 submitted entries to the Darksiders 2 contest.

Old (#14)
damn that's a nice outcome! tnx for hosting this
Yet another pc compo that made me try something different
Offline , card carrying polycounter, 2,213 Posts, Join Date Feb 2008, Location Antwerp, Belgium  

Old (#15)
I think with the strict requirements and guidelines compared to most challenges, this was actually very fun and interesting. The livestreams were an awesome bonus.
Offline , spline, 187 Posts, Join Date Nov 2010, Location the Netherlands  

Old (#16)
I really had a lot of fun with mine, I was so out of my comfort zone. It was great, can't wait for the next Polycount competition Well done everyone
Offline , polygon, 670 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location Malmo, Sweden Send a message via Skype™ to Mathew O  

Old (#17)
Nix I agree, this was game art production in an industry context - I learnt a tonne!

The quality of entries is amazing, gratz to everyone who got in on time.
Unfortunately the daylight saving caused some deadline confusion for me and a couple of others... I'll pay more attention next time
Art blog / Portfolio - critiques welcome
Offline , triangle, 384 Posts, Join Date Jan 2011, Location Guildford, UK  

Old (#18)
If anyone wants to see all the weapons next to each other then enjoy:

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/weapons.jpg
William T. Nicholls: Portfolio
3D Art Director working on "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
--------------
"When in doubt, ask the Polycount."
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,591 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location England  

Old (#19)
Nice man! Cool of you to make that
Willem van der Schyf
http://willemce.blogspot.com/
Offline , polygon, 567 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Santa Monica, CA  

Old (#20)
sweet habboi, damn so many awesome weapons! some stiff competition, some came out of nowere! also you forgot a few last minute submissions.
Offline , polycounter, 880 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#21)
Thanks. Certainly makes your eyes fall out. As for missing some, I shouldn't have, I went through the submission thread, 1 by 1. It's not in order I should stress.
--------------
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,591 Posts, Join Date May 2010, Location England  

Old (#22)
hammer, last page, beauwolf, xhantiss and burns0625
Offline , polycounter, 880 Posts, Join Date Nov 2004, Location The Netherlands  

Old (#23)
Well that's weird. The burns one wasn't there before. I'll add them in.

And done. If I've missed anymore, please point them out. I'm going to go outside or something.

Last edited by Habboi; 03-27-2012 at 09:04 AM..
--------------

Old (#24)
Habboi, you didn't put my hammer I knew going into this I would not have enough time to model it since I only had one day to do this. So I made a fully illustrated concept as best as I could. I bet if you lined up my piece you would have to second guess it was not done in 3D. I'm still rather proud of myself. I was so tired by 6am, could not go any further. Paid for it the next day at work lol. Anyway, there are such amazing pieces and so much talent! It was just fun seeing everyones stuff. Good job everyone!

Last edited by pc626; 03-27-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Offline , null, 5 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Los Angeles Area  

Old (#25)
I'll chuck yours on mate. One momento. Alrighty done. I think I've got them all but let me know as always.

Last edited by Habboi; 03-27-2012 at 10:40 AM..
--------------