Old (#1)
--------------------
Edit:

Latest pics:

--------------------

Sup!

Super stoked about this, cannot wait to see what people make, this should turn out to be an epic challenge.

Only a couple rough sketches, still gotta make a load more and iterate a lot but just wanted to make a thread.

edit: removed junk

Still haven't decided on what weapon type I want to do, will probably end up going with mace but still have a lot of exploration to do. I'm just gonna be spamming these crappy sketches before even starting any real concepts, just to get some shapes going in my head.

Let's do theeeeeeeees!!! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Last edited by JFletcher; 04-02-2012 at 12:56 PM..
Sr.Character Artist - Splash Damage
Portfolio ...Soon™
Offline , polycounter, 1,184 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location London, UK Send a message via MSN to JFletcher  

Old (#2)
I'm looking forward to what you do!

- BoBo
Offline , Moderator++, 1,575 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Austin Texas!  

Old (#3)
following!

^_^
Jacque Choi
Senior Character Artist
Eidos Montreal - Deus Ex
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,616 Posts, Join Date Aug 2006, Location Montreal QC, Canada Send a message via MSN to JacqueChoi  

Old (#4)
Señior Fletcher, I am also looking forward to what you come up with. Neat concepts so far.
Offline , vertex, 39 Posts, Join Date Mar 2012, Location Middle of nowhere.  

Old (#5)
well, we're boned!
pls create only one piece and let 2 other guys win in other weapon classes, ok? i guess anyone can guess what you create is gonna be epic!
Offline , spline, 237 Posts, Join Date Dec 2010, Location Budapest, Hungary Send a message via Skype™ to tsabszy  

Old (#6)
Ah my chances of even getting noticed in the mace category were already bad but now they're much worse, good luck man
MathewO.co.uk
Environment Artist || Ubisoft Massive
Offline , polygon, 641 Posts, Join Date Feb 2011, Location Malmo, Sweden Send a message via Skype™ to Mathew O  

Old (#7)
I'm a fan of the first design. The skulls style really sells its for me.
PORTFOLIO - 3D Generalist at PixelBomb Games
Guardians of the Galaxy Star-Lord Thread (WIP)
Offline , polygon, 620 Posts, Join Date Jun 2011, Location Newcastle, UK  

Old (#8)
I like the design of the angelic one, but it doesn't look weaponised enough...
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,786 Posts, Join Date Oct 2008, Location UK Send a message via Skype™ to fearian  

Old (#9)

Got a feeling about this rough one, may go further with it and give it a real design.

...Or just scrap it and keep going, most likely

Last edited by JFletcher; 03-03-2012 at 03:07 PM..
Portfolio ...Soon™
Offline , polycounter, 1,184 Posts, Join Date Mar 2007, Location London, UK Send a message via MSN to JFletcher  

Old (#10)
Was hoping you would be in, looking forward to it fletcher
Latest is much better than your first crop, maybe make the axe part heftier, and exagerate bits of the skull, like the teeth or something ?
Offline , polygon, 522 Posts, Join Date Jun 2007,  

Old (#11)
I. Can. Not. Wait. For. More. Progress.

Periods for emphasis. Love your work!

The very first concept you made with the crazy unique looking skull is by far my favorite thus far.

Last edited by Quack!; 03-03-2012 at 03:20 PM..
Nick Quackenbush, Star Trek Ship Artist @ Cryptic Studios ---- Linked In || Twitter || District 9 Mech
Offline , polycounter, 891 Posts, Join Date Jul 2006, Location San Jose, California  

Old (#12)
oh Fletcher you sexy beast, I was just waiting for you to enter, your drawing style matches the Darksider universe so well.

as for your sketches so far, I love the design, however I think they could handle getting even bulkier, as for now your axe feels like a one-handed weapon.
Casper Thomsen - www.3d-artist.dk
Offline , polygon, 588 Posts, Join Date Sep 2009, Location Denmark  

Old (#13)
I like all of them except the first 2. Their sillouettes don't compare with the other ones (which are pretty awesome)
Offline , vertex, 38 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location Brazil  

Old (#14)
Cheers guys

@ pulyx

Yeah, I don't think so too, I don't think they even slightly interesting, Just wanted draw some quick shapes to get my head around some things.

@ Zpanzer

yeah, I agree, I'm not really fussed about the handle at the moment as for the most part, it's not really going to be a hugely interesting part of the weapon, no matter what design I eventually go with, just throwing together quickies.

Cheers for the feedback!

I started iterating on the last one a bit, turned back into a hammer as I wasn't really too fond of how generic the axe looked. I'm thinking demonic/darksiders core:

still need to clean up the design (that spiky tongue thing just seems like it would break off if you hit anything with it) and add more twisted demonic organic like bits, although I like the skull and the idea of making one so I don't really wanna get rid of it. :/
Portfolio ...Soon™

Old (#15)
I like the tongue spike. A lot of medieval war hammers had armor piercing spikes like that.
Offline , line, 62 Posts, Join Date Aug 2009, Location California  

Old (#16)
Hm, maybe it can work.

Fuck, just got a great idea I wanna try(imo)...but it's 4am. Will have to wait til later.
Portfolio ...Soon™

Old (#17)
Good to see you're entering! You really going to do multiple weapons?
Offline , polycounter, 806 Posts, Join Date Jan 2007, Location Austin, TX  

Old (#18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
Fuck, just got a great idea I wanna try(imo)...but it's 4am. Will have to wait til later.
Looking forward to seeing that!
Freelance Character Artist
afisher.com.au - ArtStation
Offline , triangle, 457 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location Australia Send a message via Skype™ to afisher  

Old (#19)
Yes!
OneLungLewis
Jackson Robinson
Portfolio
Offline , triangle, 321 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Los Angeles Area Send a message via AIM to onelunglewis  

Old (#20)
loving these concepts!!
Offline , triangle, 336 Posts, Join Date Feb 2012, Location Melbourne  

Old (#21)
Latest concept looks great. Maybe remove the spike coming out of the top of the skull in the middle of the hammer head? Might give some nice negative space in that area.
Offline , triangle, 311 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008, Location Montreal, QC  

Old (#22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afisher View Post
Looking forward to seeing that!
Unfortunately it didn't turn out too well, just seemed good in my head.

-

Well here I am:

------------
edit:
well, may as well show the one before as well:

------------

Crow temple yo.

Very rough because today has been pretty much just constantly painting over things instead of committing to an idea and polishing it. This is just where the PSD ended up at 2am :p

But I am starting to get on board with crow temple more, I like the style and I think there are some interesting possibilities.

I even tried to make an axe from this where the blade was the wing, but it didnt work too well, may try it again. Too tempting to go with very symmetrical shapes as it helps (at least for me) maintain a cleaner design...

bleh, I dunno, I'll come back to this fresh tomorrow. Either way, I'm pretty stoked about crow temple possibilities, I just need to remain very faithful to the style...hmmm...

I wish I was as good at painting and design as the rest of you guys, just looking in other peoples threads and how easily they come up with such great ideas is a bit overwhelming.

EDIT:

AUUURGH, Another idea too late at night to bring to fruition.. >_<

Last edited by JFletcher; 03-04-2012 at 08:13 PM..
Portfolio ...Soon™

Old (#23)
Cool ideas! I really like the folded wings blinding the skull in that 2nd to last one. Really awesome detail.
Offline , polygon, 566 Posts, Join Date May 2006, Location Santa Monica, CA  

Old (#24)
I actually like the bottom design the most. It got a nice flow to it overall.
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,305 Posts, Join Date Dec 2007,  

Old (#25)
That's badass, mr Fletcher! My vote definitely goes to the crow temple one. It would make a good fit for the game.
Maybe you could try pushing the crow skulls' silhouettes a bit more, but not much; you're on to something really good here.
Character Technical Artist @ Remedy Entertainment

Maphart.com ~ Online Portfolio
Twitter: @maphart
My indie Game: MageMaze
Offline , polycounter, 956 Posts, Join Date Mar 2011, Location Helsinki, Finland