Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] {undefined}, ChaosEidolon

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
EDIT! New stuff up top! cause i know you're all lazy like me

DONE!!! WOOOT!!! Go sleep deprivation! Every sound scares me and my reaction time is cut in half!

finalpres.jpg

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    These feel somewhat small, like they'd be great for one handed weapons but not for heavy. Bulk them up a bit and extend the handles and you may have something great. That being said, I enjoy the first one for matching DS style.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great shapes on that second one
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Neat designs so far! Love the middle one, reminds me of a dragon, I love dragons :D
    The first one has a neat skull shape and the one on the right definitely looks like an angel weapon. Looking forward to seeing how you progress.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JUSTIN!!! Hey man, fancy seeing you here :) Are you taking part?

praetus, thx man, yeah the scale is off i know. Just working on ideas.
    Raven, thx dude!
    OrganizedChaos, thanks man! I wasn't sure how suited the dragon was to DS, but I couldn't resist. But hey...if you like it then it cant be too wrong eh? hehe

Here's some more scale appropriate ones. I wanna play a bit more before committing to a design...concepting these is way too much fun! I could use some advice for which ones are working best though, as I probably have to choose my final one soon.

Cheers!

concepts2.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Idea 1 has a great silhouette but I think the horns could be thicker.
  • tsabszy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    all weapon's head look slightly small for me except the 3rd one, but all of them look great too! good luck!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, thanks for the feeback guys! Yeah i've been bouncing around on the scale a bit. Just noticed the QnA thread with the scale-ref so hopefully ill get it right next time, haha! Here's another one for now, with a few more comin along.

concepts3.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    not gonna lie, this made me laugh out loud. Looks like someone kicked him in the junk. Those shapes are fabulous.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! awesome...then Mission = Accomplished. Thanks man!

Here's another one, polished up the dragon one from the first set of thumbs. God...just got a bunch of Armin van Buuren mixes from back in the day. Why is trance from 10 years ago so much better?! Am i getting old? lol...

concepts4.jpg
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    thats awesome! I dig the claw at the bottom and the big chunky teeth up top
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and last one for tonight, whew! Crow temple. Doesn't quite fit the DS style i dont think, but i had fun.

Daphz, thanks man!

concepts5.jpg
  • Inpw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inpw polycounter lvl 14
    This crow hammer is awesome!
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Yeah, holy crap that's freaking cool.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Definitely go with the Crow Temple one, but make the crow itself much more stylized. It's going to rock mah socks.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I think you have the makings of a kick ass crow mace.

- BoBo
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with BoBo here- really like those last two designs.

Oh and yeah, I'd imagine dragons should be fitting enough, there are those serpent type dragonish thingers in the trailer.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The council hath spoken! I guess I'm done with the concept stage. :)

BoBo, YES! Nice bit of concept jujitsu...that looks like it was supposed to be! Thanks for the suggestion, I'm totally doing that.

OrgChaos: Thanks man! I'm glad you like. You know, I totally forgot about the GIANT freaking dragon in the original...duh. I might still try to do the axe if i have time.

Inpw, suburbbum, Maph: Thanks for helping me decide...sounds like its pretty much unanimous!

Here's some tweaks and playing with the colors. Still a few more things I'd like to fix. Read my notes from the bottom up...just realized it's reversible...lol...

crow_colortweaks.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Love that newest design! The crow stuff is really cool, but a difficult design to nail down right. You got it right.
  • Blackstone69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blackstone69 polycounter lvl 13
    Lookks great man, but my suggestion is to be carefull when sculpting that claw if your not carefull becouse of how the transition between the hilt and the pummel look they could look more like roots rather than a claw, but then again who says it wouldnt look cool with it beint roots :P
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    Shwing! Print it, ship it. We've got a winner!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks guys!

Blackstone: I agree, I've changed it up a bit last night. that part was bothering me.

So...I have a question, in case one of the DS team is around to answer. I was looking back over my concept, and was concerned that it does not incorporate enough of the decorative elements from the crow temple examples (the bevel and trim designs and abstract patterns). Is going for a more organic version like mine still appropriate, or should I try to incorporate some of that flavor to make it usable to you guys?

Thanks!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, finally getting some time to work on this. Took care of the basemesh. No real sculpting yet, just blobbing in the shapes. Tomorrrow or Friday I hope to have some solid shapes defined.

3dstart.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    Great start on the model/sculpt. One concern might be the shortness of the handle. It looks more one-handed to me. Have you tried putting it on a scale reference image?
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabian roldan polycounter lvl 6
    Love it, i just love it, the crow temple theme is not being used very often so that gives it more points. The finished version will be epic :thumbup:
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt: Hey man, yeah you were right. Thanks for pointing it out. I adjusted it a bit. I think I might still need to move some things around looking at it. I have it matched up, but theres some overlap going on that im not 100% about.

Fabian: Thanks dude! yeah...crow temple is hard. Im glad you think I'm hitting it cause Ive been struggling with it a bit. Glad I'm not the only one :)

So I decided my old crow skull just wasnt working. It didnt match the style and it really didnt have the tension and "spring" of darksiders, so I spent some time adjusting it. I think the it's bringing it back in line to where it needs to be. It set me back a bit, but it needed to be done. LOTS still left to do...this week is gonna be interesting. o_O

highprogress.jpg
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice sculpt so far!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woot! thanks man :)

I did another honesty session with myself tonight, and took a look and what needed fixing. There's some more adjustments that I think are needed but it'll be worth the pain. Here's what I'm thinking:

grr.jpg
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    I agree with the splaying of the handle towards the top to match the pommel, but honestly I liked the T-shape a lot. It gave it a very sturdy feel, but I can see how the angular design plays well to the rest of the weapon.
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    I think you're thinking right, the red paintover has a very nice flow, it's the strongest and agressive shape to me.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Sub: thanks man, yeah i wasnt hating it, but there was this certain rhythm that I saw in the crow head I was referencing that felt so "Darksiders". I felt like it really needed that.
    Orb: Great! yeah i was really trying to get at that. I'm glad it's coming across.

Here's the adjustment so far. Most of the gross part is out of the way, but the top part is a mess right now. Need to clear or remesh tomorrow and make it look like feathers instead of dino quills.

Also, did a last minute overlay with ye olde scaleref img, which reveals a few other tweaks that need doing.

adjustmentsmadeweeeee.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, that's probably not going to work based on the bounding box requirements.
    This image shows them roughly: Scale Example

I'm quoting directly from the contest page here:
    Green – The bounding box of the weapon head. This represents the contact area in-game.

Yellow – Handle Transition. We make use of squash and stretch in our animation. This area (along with the weapon head) will scale up in some animations.

Orange – Grip-able surface. Death must be able to grip anywhere within this section. Please do not make this area much thicker than the proxy or Death’s hands will clip through it. Additionally, do not curve this section.

Blue – Pommel. This is simply a decorative detail/end cap. Exceeding this might result in Clipping with the environment during idle animations.

And here's a link to the example 3D files so you can try and scale it all correctly: Template Zip File

Hope this helps!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SH: Yup! you are correct. Thanks for reminding me though. I've been keeping that in mind and I'm aware of the restrictions. There is some adjustment that i still need to do. I'll have to find a good compromise between the good flow of the design and the rig. That's gonna be tonight.

Here's to show a comparison. Clearly some things that need to be tweaked, but in my experience the division points of the rig are the primary concern. The only transformations will be in the head and yellow area, so I am trying to ensure that those scale well together. (I should check to see if they scale proportionally though, if not that might cause issues) I might need to bring the beak in a bit , or maybe just scale the whole head down slightly. The colored areas show the break up of my intersection meshes.

BB.jpg
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man are you gonna finish this? that crow is so badass!!! please let us see this thing with colors!!! :cool:
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude! No worries! Come hell or high water, im finishing this goddamn thing! I already had the talk with the GF and told my friends to leave me alone ;)

Been doing LOADS of tweaks. I had a lot of fixing to do after adjusting my design, so now im more or less where I left off. Started back on the sculpt and moving it in the direction it needs to go.

I think the scale issues should be fixed too, although i would be great to get an ok on it. Not too hard to adjust if I need to though.

sculptprogress.jpg
  • fabian roldan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks gorgeus, every tweak you make is for good, :O can`t wait to see the textured low poly, this is one of my favourite pices so far :)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking promising, a good texturing will make this entry score nice points IMO! :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    There aren't many crow entries so it's refreshing to see you doing it. Assuming those are crystals then this picture should help you when texturing them.

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/original.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fabian, ParoXum: Sweet! thank you guys! I really appreciate the encouragement.
    Habboi: Cool man! thx for the link. Do you mean the orbs? Those are something I saw in one of the crow temple ref pics, some kinda milky white ball that looked pretty sweet. I wanted to incorporate it and just thought the black looked cool while i was sculpting hehe. made em easier to pick out from my other mesh too.

I really need to start on my low-poly, but I diverted for a bit to get an idea of what the colors might end up being, just to ensure that all the elements read well once I have my tones and hues involved. Here's the latest mesh and color paintover.

Things to do:
    1. Make the crow head less mushy and chisel/bevel/nick/polish everything just right.
    2. Make the handle slightly assymetrical at the bottom to blend into the pommel.
    3. polish the wraps a bit.
    4. do a final fine detail pass for chips and cracks n stuff.

Aaaaaaah! I'm hoping I can get decimation master to play nice so I can make up time on the retopo.

colorstudy.jpg
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    Man, this thing is Solid! gogogogogogogooooooo!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robat: Woot! thanks dude! work work! *zug*

I MAEK DE BAEKS!!! so...so...happy.

The hump...she is almost over. Now I'm allow to go eat.

firstbake.jpg
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Ahhh looking sick man, it's definitely reading much sharper and razorlike.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David, Thanks man! I appreciate it. I've been going flat out all weekend. Expect to see me sleep during the morning meeting tomorrow lol!

Took way too goddamn long, but the Retopo/UV is done! yeeeeeah!

retopo_done.jpg

14 hours to go!!!

133212802589.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! Good luck!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, thanks BoBo!

Been plugging away at the colors, but my brain is seriously seizing up. Break time! 7 hours...sheeeeeeit!

paintingstart.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That is awesome. I cannot wait to see this one.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

my god......so close...

OMFG.jpg
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret polycounter lvl 11
    So close indeed, you can dooooeeet! When I awake from my coma two days from now I expect to see this beauty in all its glory. gl
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    HURRRRRRRYYYYY!!!!!!
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soo dead....ugh. Oh well...time for work. already late D:finalpres.jpg