Old (#1)
Hey all. My family just picked up a new Samsung 55" SMART tv, with a samsung bluray player. Before this, we were using old shitty "HD" tube tvs, so when we plugged it all in, and threw in the extended Avatar bluray, we were blown away, to say the least. Great colour. Great clearity. Only problem is I've been noticing some pixelation, and Im not sure if its our tv, or bluray player, or if its normal. I usually see it during fast movements, but only on the fast moving objects, not the whole screen. I first noticed it on the distance shots of the banshees, in the wings. With all the movement with the air going over the wing and making them move, the pixels did this pixelation / shimmering type thing. But only at distance.

My dad thought it was just the bluray, but, he didnt even notice it to begin with, since he doesnt have an eye for that stuff. Ive seen it on every movie ive watched so far. Third bluray in, our bluray player started making really weird noises. like the motor was struggling or something, which it wasnt doing the first couple. So i thought maybe it was the bluray player. Switched to my ps3, and still saw it.

So, do other people notice this? Is it normal? Is it my tv? Im new to the world of super clear tvs, sooo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Stefan Lipsius
| 3d Animator | Looking For Work | Latest Project: Dragon Age: Inquisition |
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,886 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#2)
Hmm, even on the PS3? That's unusual, maybe the cable?
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#3)
brand new HDMI cable.

I think it might be the tv settings. after looking into it. I think its the beefed up Hz. "Auto Motion Plus" I think the setting is called. Ill have to take a look when i get home
Stefan Lipsius
| 3d Animator | Looking For Work | Latest Project: Dragon Age: Inquisition |
Offline , veteran polycounter, 2,886 Posts, Join Date Apr 2009, Location Toronto, Ontario  

Old (#4)
Well you are stretching around 2 million pixels across a 55inch screen. The pixels would be huge.

Plus very few PS3 games play at a non-upscaled 1080p

Last edited by Ryswick; 02-28-2012 at 11:05 AM..
Twitter - Portfolio (new stuff coming soon)
Offline , polycounter, 765 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location Vancouver, BC  

Old (#5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipsius View Post
brand new HDMI cable.

I think it might be the tv settings. after looking into it. I think its the beefed up Hz. "Auto Motion Plus" I think the setting is called. Ill have to take a look when i get home
Yeah any 'feature' like that that TV's have these days in order to get sold, just turn em off.
Offline , Banned, 5,298 Posts, Join Date Dec 2008,  

Old (#6)
There are a lot of tricks TVs try to do from the factory, that often fool people, like your parents, who are more in awe of the TV size. Go through some of the TV settings, and turn off auto-anything. Make sure it's not in 'movie' mode too. Then slowly turn things back on.

You may want to google your exact model number, with pixelation, and see if someone else has this issue (and a solution). Maybe try this site: http://www.tweaktv.com/tweak-my-tv/ and see what they recommend. I've never used the site, but it looks like a good resource for settings.

Also remember, large TVs are meant to be viewed at a distance. I don't like my TV's picture when I stand right in front of it, but across the room, it looks great.
Offline , insane polycounter, 5,121 Posts, Join Date Oct 2004, Location Michigan Send a message via ICQ to notman Send a message via AIM to notman Send a message via MSN to notman Send a message via Yahoo to notman  

Old (#7)
yea I hate that motion smoothing stuff, once you start to notice how it smooths people movements in strange ways to get the framerate higher I find I cant help but be constantly distracted by it. really annoying.
www.Pixel-Masher.com - Portfolio
Level Artist - FarCry 4 - Ubisoft Montreal
Offline , dedicated polycounter, 1,836 Posts, Join Date Sep 2008, Location Montreal  

Old (#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelMasher View Post
yea I hate that motion smoothing stuff, once you start to notice how it smooths people movements in strange ways to get the framerate higher I find I cant help but be constantly distracted by it. really annoying.
On TVs with really high refresh rates they have to add in motion blur or people will feel sick.
Twitter - Portfolio (new stuff coming soon)
Offline , polycounter, 765 Posts, Join Date Jul 2010, Location Vancouver, BC  

Old (#9)
Usually movie enthusiast forums (or audio / video enthusiast) have guides for TV's to get the most out of them, that often includes turning things like dynamic contrast and auto smoothing off.
It could be that one of the "features" of the TV is causing it. Try finding a thread about it on a forum like that.
Offline , spline, 205 Posts, Join Date Jan 2009, Location Sweden