Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi fps weapon

Hi All!

I just started with a new weapon and thought mabye some one can help me on the way :)

Its a sci-fi weapon based on a few weapon that exist today, whit a paint over.
scaled.php?server=708&filename=fpsgun.png&res=medium

I have blockt it out to try it in the fps view. But i ran in a problem right away -.-'
As you can se, the hole where the screw should be has a artifact. have anyone defeated this shape? if you have pleace tell me :)

scaled.php?server=560&filename=fpsgun.png&res=medium

Replies

• Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    you need to run some of the edges of the hole horizontally. it will flatten your main cylinder though, so you'll have to go back and start with a cylinder with a larger number of sides to support putting a hole there.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Before anyone comes and says it dude, just add more Geometry and it should fix that artifact, and if you have any more problems, ya should check out the modeling dem shapes thread in the technical talk =)
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That was what I was afraid of. I guess this the only way :(
    Thinks for your time :)
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2
    Yes guess i have to. I will go to that thread
    right away! Thanks
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scaled.php?server=845&filename=weaponu.png&res=medium
    The poroblem was fixed with more geometry. Thanks!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its hard to tell but some of your edges are looking a little tight. You should post some larger images. Don't worry, we're not on 56Ks anymore. =P

Be careful with that muzzle break, if you don't intend to model the cutouts into the lowpoly that is going to cause you problems when you bake, its better to "fake" the holes unless you plan to match that geometry in the lowpoly. Generally the barrel will be the farthest thing from view(and often totally occluded) so putting a bunch of geometry there in the low tends to be wasteful. Unless of course you plan on having a super-awesome shoot yourself in the face animation, or have some sort of customizable system where the player can twirl his gun around in 3d.
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha yes i know :P I did some mistake under the upload. Here is where im right now. The highpolly is almost dune.

The thing is that this weapon is going to be used in a FPS school project, and im thinking of mabye have it in my portfolio and make some nice spinarounds. What do you think a employer would like to se. A even topology=Nice spinaround, or a fps potimized topology?

P.s Thanks forcrolt90.png taking the time, you are a big inspirer! :)
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    the closer you make your gun to a useable game model, the better for employers
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i Will have that in mind. I think its a Hard balance, becouse i whant to make it optemised but then i need to show them a nice pice from all derections. But i will take your edvice. Thanks :)
  • BarnabyJones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminds me of some of the weapons in brink. If I where you I would change the sight maybe try a holographic sight?
    eotech.jpg
    Something that is more sci-fi like
  • Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Cool design! Definitely agree with Barnaby though, the rear sight post doesn't really seem to have function. Also, any plans on a breech?
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BarnabyJones.
    Yes Brink whas a big insperation. therefore they have kick ass guns :D
    It will not be a eotech sight becouse, in our game there will be no zoom on the weapons. and the player will freakout if there is a eotech attachede and you cant zoom with it.
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now i have baked from high to low and started to make some textures. On this model i used physically based lighting witch means, i did not use regular "Deffuse,Speck,gloss" i used maps called, Albedo,Roughness and Substance map. And of course the regular Normal,Ao,Emissive.
    This technic is relatively new and are used on some of the latest big AAA titles. i have worked with is for a while now and starting to get a hang of it. My printscreans are from maya and i used a shader called KoddeShader.(a shader specified on PBL) if you do whant to know more about PBL (physically based lighting) you can go here and download the shader to maya http://www.kostas.se/ or read about it in the tecnical talk thread, They probably know a lot more than i do about it.

This is still a work in progress but starting to become somthing.
    The first image is a texture test where i asked the WIP Thread withch thay prefered and made a mix of them.
    scifiweapon.png

This Is where i am so far :) What do you think? crits are welcome

scifigunwip2.png
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    if you go back and beef up some of those edges and re-bake this, it would kick the readability of this thing up like 2 or 3 notches. Love the diffuse you got, so far.
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think i understand, Do you think the edges are to Smooth?
    This printscren whas taken with a softer/dark light, so the emissive could pop. so basically this is the shadow sides you se, so the highlights will never hit it.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    that diffuse looks amazing so far
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Looking great.

That last pic was just in Maya's Viewport 2.0 right? What shader are you using for that?
  • l.croxton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really really really good. The LED screen (if it is LED or LCD :P) goes really nicely with it. I think my favourite part about it is that it looks like a sci-fi gun but also has a slight "toyish" look to it. That probably comes from the bright orange thing near the muzzel and the ridiculasness of shape, the two handles and the sholder thing (forgot the name); coupled with the fact it looks like the size of a pocket uzi :P.

Awesome job. Sorry I can not offer any technical crit however just thought I would say it looks awesome :).
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram : Thanks a lot, its a lot of work left but i hope it turns out good.

Hayden Zammit
    : Like i said in the coment, i used a shader named "koddeShader" you can download it here - http://www.kostas.se/?p=30 - it suports PBL nad once you get the hang of PBL you can easyly make some goodlocking materials becouse the PBL are made by light physics in the real world. The maps you use

Albedo: Works allmost exactly like Deffuse. just cransk up the colours like 15%
    Roughness: Works like Speck and Gloss all toghether (No alpha chanel)
    Substance: Take care of the fresnel. Witch basicly means where on the area the light will bounde. For exemple a plastic material has a highlight that is sharp and face the camera, rubber often has a darker Ruffness map and a rimlight thats visible with a smother fadeoff.

Here is a thread made by the same gouy that made the koddeshader, if you whant to know more
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1441311

l.croxton : Thanks man. Im happy you liked it :) This weapon will be used in a game whith sarker sci-fi coridors, so i hope the emissive map will do its job in the game :)
    And what can be more sci fi then a soutch screen on the side of the weapon :P
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what i meant is that your edges on the HP mesh are really tight, so the bake is loosing depth.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    It's looking great. My only crit is a style thing, and it might even be what you're going for, but the orange plastic on the guns front makes it look like a toy, since manufacturers are required to place orange safety color plastic on the front of toy guns.

Otherwise though, very nice, well executed.
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz : Ok then i understand. Are there some areas that you think have extra tight areas, or is it the hole mesh overall? Im happy for the feedback. Its peaple like you that make me a better artist. unfortunately i probably never will have time to rebake it, it needs to be dune around monday. but i will defintely have that in mind on the next mesh. again, thank a lot

ysalex : yes i know it makes it look little like a toy, but the orange details is going to be in a lot of places in the game. All the weapons in the game will have it, and look a little like toy weapons and i think its kinda funny :P
    Im happy you liked it. Thank man :)

• PolyMonstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not that Im a gun smithy, but, the stock should likely be lined up with the barrel, the carbine spring that works the firing pin in just about every AR that I know of, goes back into the stock a bit and is lined up with the barrel so its one smooth motion. Also the eye is way above the barrel now so the zeroing would be quite different.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ar-no-stock-7539/

Don't let OCD over-realism thinking like mine ruin a good design though, I love what you have here, and frankly if there was a less-than-lethal way to have one of these, I'd probably scramble for it.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really nice loving the style good job didn't expect it to look like this at all haha saving this!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, overall i think, just try to exaggerate you shapes a bit more for your next model.

i can find the other image but this is kinda what i mean.

scaled.php?server=560&filename=fpsgun.png&res=medium

NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz : OK thanks. Its easy to just look for real reference and not think of the normal bake, hope this will be a weakupcall for me :) yestorday i modeld a glock lookalike pistol that will be used in the same game. and will have the same type of textures. And since we have the subject up. i will post it for feedback. And let me know it you think the edges are to sharp or ennything.

Consider that it will have a 1024x1024 map and will be shown close to the camera. correct me if I'm wrong but the reason to have looser edges are that its not room for it on the texture map. therefore, for exemple a proop needs looser edges then a fps weapon. Becouse it will often have a smaler texture map and never shown near the players camera.

But if you think this gun have to thight edges i fix them. Have a nice day Alberto

Handgun.png
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh. now i see that the picture never got in the coment. i put it up later on today
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have finished the texture today. And i call it dune. Thanks for everyone that has coment and helpt me on the way. :)

superfailthegameassembl.png
  • Redfender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool. My only thing is you've got that blood on the diffuse but everything else looks clean as a whistle. I'd remove the blood or add wear to the whole thing!
  • lupi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    Looking good so far :) You have some typos/spelling errors on the decals though. "Childeren" should be "Children" and "Militerry" should be "Military" :)
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redfender: Yes i changed it. its no blood ennymore. will mabye "dirtifyit" if i get bored someday. we will se.

imyj: haha i know. I have some problems with that. first of all its not my native language and the fact that I'm dyslexic does not improve.
    but I should have double-checked the spelling. :P
    The funny thing is that i dont use to get a lot of reactions but when i spell somting wrong, half the comunity gest involved :D just look at the WIP thread. haha

Thanks for the coments / Superfail
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the blood is putting me off. I mean, THe gun looks so scifi and clean that you shouldn't have blood in there, because it's breaking the mood of it :D Maybe change the color to brown, and tone it down so it read more like dirt?
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    i love the toy-ish / futuristic look you got goin, idk what it is but i like it :D
  • DJ_Aaron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DJ_Aaron polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah i agree with others the blood just dont fit, but other than that its great!
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
  • Superfail
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, i have now deleted the blood, and i made a beauty render. just for you gouys!
    fpsrendering2.png

Now im moving on to the next weapon in the game that is a handgun.

handgunc.png