Home› Digital Sketchbooks

SketchBook: Alexis Bogue

Hey folks! Thanks for stopping by.

Quick info:
Long Info (ie, I like to ramble):
Been struggling with trying to figure out where I fit in for a while. College preached generalism, every professional I talked to told me to specialize. My two favorite trades are character/creature modeling and animation. I'm fortunate enough to be working with an indie developer right now where I get to do a great many things. In between the work I do for him I am working on honing my character skills.

That means learning how to use ZBrush. I've come to realize that ZBrush strikes people one of two ways: It is either the most amazingly intuitive and easy thing in the world, or it is a sadistic torture device designed solely to make a beginning user feel like an idiot. I am, unfortunately, in that second camp.

I have never let frustration and feeling like an idiot discourage me for long, however, and I'm determined to break this beast of a program. (I come from cattle ranchers, please excuse the metaphor)

SO! I was shown this tutorial today and I had to stop after the first page. I had to stop not because I was confused, but because suddenly I was starting to GET IT. So I went and drew myself a beastie and blocked it out in Maya.

rhinocicorn.jpg

blockout.jpg

He's 1,500 tris, but I don't think that really matters because I'm just taking him into zbrush then I'll retopo later with a budget of 5,000.

Thanks for looking!

Replies