Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] The Bridge

Replies

• tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Guys I am making another update continuing to work away on this, the hanging car is almost finished.new11.jpg
    Moonshank: I tried to use the visarea, and I got a weird tunneling effect from it, do I need to put portals where I have the holes ? But anyways guys I would like some more C&C on how I can make this better!
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    This has come on a long way! I am liking it! :)
  • Moonshank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moonshank polycounter lvl 7
    make your visarea encompass the whole tunnel and the create portals like a window to the outside hope that clears things up
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maverickhornet: Thanks dude, I have learned a lot about the engine and lighting from working on this.
    Moonshank: ohhh ok, thanks a lot dude =D !
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, I am continuing to work on this, I have added the hanging car, and now I am working on adding God rays coming from the ceiling. Feedback is always welcome, you guys have help me push this scene really far! 8UDFb.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I am still playing around with the lighting, and I would love to hear what you guys thing! Thanks! hq18g.jpg
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    The grass on the ledge to the left doesn't fit to me, its very large and I'm unsure how it would grow up there. The far distance I would make the blue more subtle and less neon blue heh. I like the hanging car from the ceiling but it seems the ceiling doesn't have much depth to it. I like where you are going with tis though keep it up :)
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Looks great so far. I'd probably make some shadows darker. Another thing is I think the path stands out (the one on the right for the red door) because the seam between the path and wall is too crisp. Try making it like this and see how it goes ..

spring+wall.jpg

otherwise it's looking great. Reminds me of half-life2 for some reason....cool!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow guys such great feed back, I will get started on fixing those issues thanks a lot!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    lighting seems way more messy than in the concept.

for example on the original picture the robotic hand is a clear focal point.
    it's placed inside a large spot of light, and there aren't any distractions around it.

on your version there's a shadow that goes through the hand and grass around it hides fingers.
    that metal "ramp" is placed too close to the hand and it has those small distracting spots of light on it.
    also, the area below bridge is way too bright - another distraction

notice that the hole in the ceiling seems much bigger on concept. this makes it slightly more believable that robotic arm would actually land in such position (not much, but still)
    there's also a ceiling hole that casts light on area near the crate, as well as few holes far in the distance. this makes concept feel much less "closed" than your enviro.

as far as colors go, they feel a bit tinted and too warm. concept has lots of areas with cold tones, your version pnly has a weird cold fog in the distance.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blasoid thanks for the comment, And I agree, I am going to start working on making the whole bigger and deeper when I get home. Wow, So many great comments today, You guys are reallly helping push this to its best!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I worked on some of suggestions that people suggested, anyways keep them coming!
    wDpSQ.jpg
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Been a while since I've seen this, it's come a long way. Good job!

Your lighting is your weakest point but I think you know that. I really want to see it match the brightness and saturation of the concept more. I love that "Uncharted" level of saturation. Right now it's just way to contrast-y and desaturated. It also looks like you don't have any bounce lighting, as if you're attempting to light with just a few area lights? Can't say, haven't used CE 3 yet.

Also along those lines, do you not have SSAO or something similar working in this level? A lot of your scene is reading very flat from lack of shadow/AO. Is there some sort of technical limit you're hitting?

Finally, thicken the vines holding the car in the background. At first I thought it was floating in the air.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    i must point to wall texture on a right side of the image, seam is just too visible

And stain on the lower part of the texture dont correspond with a concrete(asphalt?) texture on a border

That vegetation on the road is wrong looking, too flat looking and it grows out of nowhere
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I took your crits that you guys gave and tried to work on the lighting some more and I have added a god ray coming out of the top. Anyways keep the crit coming and i will continue to work on this =)SopCz.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys another update to lighting, and fixed the seams =D 8UPih.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I thinned out the god rays some and I toned down the fog some, would love to hear what you guys think! d51zK.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Its come along way since the beginning. I think it needs to be a bit brighter maybe, or chuck a few point lights in to pick up some highlights it looks really flat in some areas the car bottom left, the car hanging in the midground i couldnt really make it out at first.

I think you need a big break in the wall to the right showing the city like in the concept or something there maybe some sleeping bags or something, its a third of your image that doesn't really do anything for the image, yes it kind of draws you to the arm in the middle, but i think it could be stronger or push the camera closer to the arm.
    If you stick with the angle you have now i would roll/tilt the camera more make it a bit more extream.

In an older version you could see a hole on the left with bricks you can barely see it now if you had a fire exit sign there or a light coming through from what ever is through the hole i think it would also help.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow dude thanks a lot for the feed back! I will brighten it up a bit more, and work on the perspective some more, and great idea on the sleeping bags, I think that adding that kind of stuff to that little area where the broken wall is, will add a lot more to the scene. But I will get started on that stuff right away!
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    2 quick crits, I have a meeting in 2 mins.

Your Iron support beams along the wall almost look like a greybox asset. Fix the texture and maybe give them a bit more detail.

Leaking Decals/Textures are too dark, make them blend in to the wall better (lower opacity)
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    A lot of your grunge is flat and straight black looking. Looks like a matte paint. I'd say brighten it up, add subtle color and make it look slimy and oily and greasy.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for comments!I am working on those right now. but sharvo gave me a great idea suggesting the sleeping bags. I was think in that broken left wall , adding a tent, sleeping bags, and couple of back packs, to make it look like it has been lived in, kinda like in these crazy world that they live in they have to find shelter on the bridge. What do you guys think ?
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys here is another update, I have been adding point lights trying to brighten it up more , and I have added a tent and some sleeping bags to the hole in the left, to make it feel like some one has been sleeping there, anyways guys would love to hear what you guys think, so please keep the C&C coming! xH048.jpg
    uzCNc.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys, here is another update to it, added a few more point lights and moved some decals, Please let me know what you guys think! dy3MO.jpgKZTIh.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have brightened it up a bit more, still would like to know what you guys think!
    Inblq.jpg
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, I fixing to get ready and add this to my portfolio website, are there any changes you guys think I should do before, I add it ? XmaNb.jpg
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    Loos good the image quality looks a bit blurry it may be the compression, not sure. Might just be my monitor.

I would add some more voliage at the bottom and at the tree in the background, i would also add some more rubble, like those bricks. You maybe able to do this with existing assets you have got?

One of the other things is where the walls meet the floor is there anyway you could add some AO?

Roll the camera like it is in the concept i think it will help the composition might be good to see a comparison.

Other than that i think it has come a long way since the beginning i like the direction you have taken it with the different lighting tests etc to get to where you are now, looking back at the concept i think you could add a lot more in terms of assets though to give it that chaotic/natural disaster feel.
    But overall well done it was a tough concept to follow and i think yyou have done well.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks dude, I will do that, and I will go through tonight and add more rubble and stuff through the level, and might even make a quick trash asset to add through it. And I will work on the AO as well. But make another update very soon!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys so I added debris through the level and random broken bricks and stuff.fcCiX.jpg. Please let me know what you guys think!
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    Nice.
    Maybe the light from the right wall darker. I thing its hard to see the daylight. Without the blue color its nearly impossible to locate.
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Your current scene is a bit of a disco of colours, its really not helping draw the eye in any direction and the composition is all over the place. I would recommend darkening down the foreground to draw the eye into the distance. Think about the colours your using and how they compliment each other, you have a lot of colour temperature all in the wrong places. I did a quick levels and colour fix on your image. Hope it helps.

polycount_feedback01.jpg
  • IchII3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IchII3D polycounter lvl 12
    Also, if your struggling with composition I highly recommend watching these video tutorials from start to finish.

http://www.artbyfeng.com/tutorials.htm
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks for the info, and the correction, and that know that you showed me that I know what ya mean, I shall be watching some of those videos and working on the composition more, and shall make a update soon and thanks again for the links.
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm also not a fan of the seam between the wall on the near-right and the floor. It doesn't quite look right, maybe it'd be good to add a skirting or something.

Other than that, it looks brillo, and I'd definitely second what IchII3D said.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I have been taking the feedback that you guys have been giving me and have been working on the lighting and the composition, please keep it coming!8kgqN.jpg
  • Spitfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you got a really ncie scene here going, but it does feel a bit messy, your colors are all over the place and there is little order to your placement of props.
    Here is a few tips:

1. Try focusing on a few strong colors you want to portray in the image, all the other colors should be secondary and be somewhat less saturated than your primary colors.

2. Propdress by making clustered groups of props and keep some areas clear of props, this will make the scene easier to read and feel more thought through.

3. Propdressing can be contextual, try explaining every cluster of props, what story do they have, what is it, and where did it come from. It doesnt need to be elaborate, It can be a bunch of garbage next to a garbage bin that has been tipped over, plants that grow from cracks in the tarmac and so on. You got your main arm in there that does have this story to it.
    Overall it helps you to focus and give direction on how to place your props, its not a rule set in stone but its a good starting point.

4. Your textures feel blurry in some areas and sharp in others, try evening the textureresolution out a bit and you will get a cleaner result, dont be afraid of going overkill on the resolution, its an artpiece and not an ingame scene, you can cram as much stuff as you want into it.

5. Work some reflections and specular surfaces into your scene,look at the materials on the concrete surfaces to give them some effects from wet or dirt areas, it will lift your scene alot!

Hope this is of help!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot my friend, those tips help a lot! I will continue to work on this some more!
  • Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like this so far! As everyone has said the scene has come a long way. I've been reading through the feedback as it’s been pretty useful for me to.

I think the levels fix Ichll3D did made a huge difference, and a few different people have commented about colour and lighting so I definitely think learning your lighting, colour and composition should be your priority. My best advice would be to take your time and make your way through those tutorials posted by Ben Apuna and the videos IchII3D suggested. Spitfire pretty much nailed it with his list of suggestions, so once your armed with the knowhow from the tutorials and theory stuff you can make you way through the suggestions and nail it when you make the changes. Keep it up though I can’t wait to see how it turns out :)
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys I am still working on this! I upgraded my cryengine to the latest which has dx11, and I was able to make bigger screen shots. I have been playing around with the color some more, and I am still placing assets through the level, but I would love to hear what you guys think! btCbO.jpgqw3KV.jpg
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The colours are looking a lot better now I think. Feels like there is a lot more coordination between everything now.
  • Arron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! Definitely helps open up the scene with the break in the wall being closer to the camera. Those footpaths look a little clean and low res compared to the rest of the environment, maybe add a few decals to break up the seams or something?
  • Jack Ryan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Improving with every change you make, keep it up!

The water that meets the edges of your walls at the bottom just seems to vanish, you might want to search for a way to create the white foamy edge that is used to simulate collision between the mesh and the water.
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys thanks for the comments! I have added grime to the walkways and still continuing to add a few more assets, VmHLL.jpg