Home Technical Talk

UV Mapping for level design

Hi everyone! I'm stuck on something that a lot of googling hasn't really helped me with...

I'm working on a level in Blender. I want to find a better way of mapping UV coordinates to walls and other "basic" elements. Right now, I do a planer projection/unwrap for each one, but it feels very slow and tedious.

"real" level editors seem to take care of a lot of that. Take this image for example:
2pqqgrn.jpg

This is from UDK. From what I've seen, editors like UDK and Hammer automatically do a planar projection, or use world coordinate for the UVs, or something. You just assign a tiling texture to the region and that's it. It feels like it's a way more intuitive way of doing it.

Anyways, to try to speed things up, I made a couple common pieces that make up the level and instance them to block things out. The thing is, textures don't quite tile right across some pieces, because they aren't all square.

uv_help.png

Can I do something like level editors do? Use world coordinates for my UVs? So if a poly was on some x,y,z of the grid, the UV mapping would correspond to the same position?

Is there a better way? This is my first time trying this :P

Thanks!

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    cant say for blender but in maya thats not possible out of the box ...one could easily make a script/shelfbutton/hotkey that will do an automatic mapping that has the exact coordinates the csg bsp editor would give you. but even than you would still have to press that button after every geometry modification.

the approach with modular pieces you got there is generaly accepted to be the way to go

uv mapping is tediouse but its also where good env artists and great ones seperate. ...that doesnt real translate from german^^
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    I'm not familiar with UDK and I'm not completely sure that I have understood what you mean, but let me try to help you. I hope I don't only write down things that you (and most other people here) have already known for 100 years. ;)

What you try is using modular pieces to build up an environment. That is very common and a good solution. Normally, every modular piece has a UV-mapped texture that tiles in every direction necessary. For example, if you want to combine several wall-pieces for a longer wall, the texture has to tile in x-direction. It doesn't matter if your pieces are not sqaure, just create a UV-mapped texture that tiles in the right places.
    Therefore, you won't have any texture seams, when you do this, but every piece has the same texture. (But there are solutions for that as well, if its going to be a problem...)

When I understand you right, you want to let blender assign/map a tiling texture to several pieces at once so that not every piece has the same texture. I am working with blender myself and I have never heard of anything like that before. If your pieces are more or less planar, you could try something with projection, but I don't have any real idea how that could work in detail.
    Have you tried to ask over at blenderartists.org? Maybe someone can help you there...