Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Harborscene | modular tryout (Cryengine 3) - Advice highly appreciated

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone
at the moment i'm working on a harbor scenery built with modular pieces.
It's my first real attempt at doing something like this (modular environment).
I'm working on it for my portfolio, so i really need advice/critique on this! ;)

It's also my first attempt at setting up a scene in the Cryengine 3 (or better said in any version of CE)... So to do this early screenshot i just put it in the sample scene:poly136:

If you have any suggestions what is still missing in this scene (expect the textures :P), please tell it to me.

Right now i'm still working on the different lowpoly pieces before i go into highpoly modelling and some ZBrush work.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ageless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Proportion of different assets look good.Waiting for more...
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    liking it so far, dont know if its just me, but the benches seem to be a bit off scale. take a look at them, and see for yourself :)
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments.
    @yodude87: yeah, you're totally right ^^ they are way too big.. gonna chance this

i think i'm going to do the uv-layout tomorrow (i want to really focus on a nice texture sharing) and then do the highpoly stuff.

thanks so far ;)
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You gots water in your boats, dawg. :P

the harbor looks rather small. I guess it's the rocks in the background that are messing up my perception.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here is a new update.
    I now created my own scene and did some more stuff with the harcor itself.
    I also textured and modified the terrain (trees and rocks aren't by me... i will do these later on).
    Till this is only my second day with CryEngine3 i don't get to know how to change the color of the water (only the fog etc.)... But we will see ^^
    screen4gs.jpg
    screen5xo.jpgscreen4gs.jpg
    screen4gs.jpg
    screen5xo.jpgscreen5xo.jpg

next step texturing
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good :) following this!
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks e-freak :)
    so i created some i made the uv-layout and created some textures till the last update.
    i had to fix some issues with cryengine,.. but i after all i have to say that i really like this engine! ^^

the lighthouse texture is still wip... i will finish this on monday since i'm away over the weekend.
    i also thaught about some more assets, so i can set up a complete level.

i will use 3 textures for the harbor as you can see below (only the lighthouse texture is missing ^^). hope this is effecient enough.

screent1.jpg

screent2.jpg

screenttotal.jpg

critique/advice is always welcome!
    thanks
  • professorXXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you need to use tiling textures on the wood or it is going to be super blurry when u get up close
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made some closeup shots from the wood parts. in my opinion its pretty sharp.
    what do you think about these shots? and thank you for the comment!

screenw1.jpg

screenw2.jpg
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    It's not sharp at all. The resolution is pretty low. You really do need to make a tiling texture.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok thanks.
    so then i'll add some more edges at the "catwalk".

besides this, what do you think about the overall quality?
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    Add more detail on those wood planks. They look all bklurred and you can't distinguish one from the next. Also your scale seems to be off with the metal parts on those posts. Some contact AO would be nice there too. Those tires also need more loving. Add more polygons to make them a bit more round, they are too chunky, and the texturing also needs a lot of work. From afar they don't read very good.

Overall I think those textures need more personality. They seem pretty generic wood, concrete, etc.

Cheers and looking forward to it. It's looking good.
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah you're right. everything seems a bit blurry and uniformly.
    my biggest problem is creating nice textures, i need A LOT of practice, especially in this field ^^
    atm i'm on the search for some good tutorials about texturing workflows since we didn't really learn it in school (besides the fact that every texture has to be as raunchy as possible lol).

the problem with the AO is that the many parts of the uv-layout lie above each other... so if i would bake an AO for every object into the diffuse, it would be on the other objects to...
    or am i understanding sth wrong? (we learned it this way in school)

i'll try to come up with better textures in a while.
    thank you very much for the advice ;)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    There are several texturing tutorials but out of the top my head this one was really good.

http://www.eat3d.com/texturing
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just bought it 5 mins ago :D
    thanks
  • Mishka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there dude, I have by accident fell on your poste from gamecareerguide.com and I saw your portfolio works and now this.
    I would like to help you out so you can become better. I'm going to be very honest, so here goes.
    You really need to work on your "modularity" and, most importantly tilable textures.

The wooden floor on water you did, do not model it like that. Create one wood plank and a tilable wood texture for it. With that wood plank you can do the floor. Not only it will break the silhouette on the edges and will give it a more "realistic" look, but also the texture pixel ratio will be much higher.

Reshape your workflow that you are using right now for texturing, it is only good if you do unique objects, and even then, you can use tilable textures and after that vertex paint to give variations, but that's another subject.

Like you see right now, if you get upclose to the surface/objects, the pixel ratio is extremly poor.
    With tilable textures, your texture uses the whole square sheet, so you really get a good resolution.
    Once your quest is complete with the tilable textures, you need to find on how to use the vertex blend!
    It is viable for if your aiming for next gen environment work.
    Remember, never give up and keep working hard. The more you practice, the better you become like in everything else. It will pay off one day.
    Good luck!
  • 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Mishka,
    Thank you very much for the help! ;)
    Till now i have no idea about vertex painting but maybe i should have a look at it..
    The tip with the wooden floor was really helpful! Always thought that the level designers wouldnt want so small parts to build the level ^^

at the moment i am working on another scene (needed some break from the harbor), so hopefully i can consider your adive there. Will post it in this thread..

Thank you!