Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

XOi's Room (C&C welcomed)

Just a quicky for tonight. I finished the bear and bed models and baked out my normal and AO maps and I'm really satisfied with the results. Tomorrow (or later today in my case) I'm going to make the other textures and get back to work on the film set. I also threw in my complete and mostly complete parts of the room into UDK just to get a feel for the room and experiment with the lighting.

BearandBed.jpg

XOiRoom-2.jpg

Replies

• raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Josh! Glad to see you post around here :)

The worn Teddy's textures are pretty sweet. Some things you should adjust in some places, is the saturation to give it a few more breakups. Right now its yellow/orange all over the place. The polycount is also super high. Remember, a very important rule in low poly is that all that matters is the silhoutte. If you dont need the polys, don't use them. With that said, it already looks faceted, with the amount of detail it has on it. Try to reduce it, i guarantee you could bring it very low and it stil look the same. Just beware, doing so may destroy your uvs. And you will have to rebake your normal.

On the camera. Same thing, too high. I see you have things being continuous. Like that handle coming out on the side. Get rid of those polys and instead just have the cylinder that pass through the geometry. it will help you save on polycount and uv distortion. The lenses are round, keep those the way they are.

The leather texture for this, looks so stretched and burry. See what you can do about that.

And on your presentation. Showing the number of faces is not necessary. If its a low poly, all you need to show is the number of tris.

Keep up the good work! :)
  • JoshC
    Quick Update, dropped the polycount on the teddy bear and the projector and have begun work on an old rusted film canister. I also adjusted the hue and saturation on some of the teddy bear to break it up a little, thanks for that tip Raul. Really makes the teddy bear pop. I'm not happy with the textures on the projector.

XOI_prop_teddyBear_Screen-1.jpg

XOI_prop_projector_Screen-1.jpg

Concept Reference
    steampunk_movieReelCanister.gif
  • JoshC
    After two crashes in Maya, I've managed to finish the high poly film canisters thus far.

XOI_prop_canistors_Screen.jpg

Soon I should be getting the room I'm gonna work on and then I'll make up a quick concept so you all can see what I envision of XOi's room.
  • JoshC
    Latest update, been finishing work on the 8mm film canisters and reworking the textures for the projector and I've hit a snag. Every time I bake my textures (just normal and diffuse for the time being) I'm getting what looks like black shadows on the film reel itself but everything else is fine. I've baked in maya and topogun and got the same issue.

canistors.jpg
  • Piesandbombs
    Your high poly model could include a lot more geometry, as it's not in actual usage, and just there to bake from; You could easily bump up the amounts of slices in those cylinders.

Other than that, you're looking pretty good for some early stuff. I might suggest revisiting the normal map on your projector ~ They're not subtle enough to make the leather case look convincing.

Keep at it, a good start.
  • ZeroBigSis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Hiya, loving the teddy - so cute.
    Re the film reels, have you tried exploding the low and high poly's just for the baking process, i.e. move the reel away from the canister > bake out > move model back together? Just a thought but looks like the reel could be picking up weird lighting from the projection cage. Alternatively it could be a difference in normals between the high poly and low poly - could try moving the centre vert on the low poly up slightly to increase the angle away from a perfect 90deg.
  • JoshC
    Pies- You hit it right on the mark. Went back to the high poly and sub D'd a we bit more.

Zero- You too also had a great idea. I exploded out both and didn't get hardly any artifacting at all.

Here are the semi final film canisters thuse far. Just need to clean up the textures and they should be pretty much done. Just for kicks I added a spec and displacement.

canistors-1.jpg
  • JoshC
    Been a little lax on the updates, so here goes. I nailed down for the most part what I envisioned of XOi's room in a quick concept drawing. So far I have a good portion of the room blocked out and am going to start detailing some of the assets. I'm also coming up with a few more ideas for what I can add to give more to the space.

Right now I am in conflict with the theme. It's going to be steampunk but I'm not sure if I want to aim for furturistic sci fi steampunk or more of a classic feel. After all, XOi is a robot.

XOiRoomConcept.jpg

XOiRoom.jpg
  • JoshC
    Been an unnecessary few since I updated last, playing catch-up with other school related stuff but I am back and kicking it into high gear for this environment piece. Been able to flush out a lot of the various items in the room and have only a few left. Mostly some tools, a half built robot, and a monocular eye patch. Can't wait to get to really texturing everything.

XOiRoom-1.jpg
  • JoshC
    So in taking a break from the final bits of modeling and enormous amounts of UV'ing I have left to do I decided to start creation on the texture for the walls. This isn't the final set but I wanted to know what ya'll think for I love crits.

walls.jpg
  • JoshC
    Almost forgot... been derping all day. Here are the texture maps for all to see :D

walls01_C.jpg

walls01_N.jpg

walls01_S.jpg
  • raul
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    Im trying to understand what are the materials being defined here. Do you have reference for for this? It looks like a layer of metal covering bricks. Which is very interesting but ive never seen anything like it. Post up your reference so we can assist you better.
  • JoshC
    As for the metal on brick, I do not have a reference. The original idea was cracked stucco on brick and then I was asked to do rusted metal on brick. Where the brick is showing the metal is supposed to be somehow peeled back and I'm not sure how to nail that. The brick is going to move as it's placement is in the wrong corner do to the pipes. I'm also going to add some rust stains where the pipes are bolted into the wall.

Here is my reference board for the room with key items.

RoomReferenceBoard.jpg
  • JoshC
    Been playing around with the wall texture for a few hours and managed to get a painted metal wall that I like. I've got much more that I need to do the wall, rust for the pipes and also to change up the paint to change up the walls, as they all look the same :D. Also finishing work up on the pipes and lights, going to try and have them done soon if midterm projects don't give me a stroke first.

walls-1.jpg
  • JoshC
    I have finished the wall :D . Screens to follow and I included the maya scene thuse far with the basic pipe textures I have. Gonna keep working on those and start up my blue group. Looking forward to doing some crazy stuff with that generator and desk.

walls-2.jpg

walls2.jpg
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The wall is busy and distracting. Details will have trouble standing out on it. I'd prefer something more like the concept. Its also appear tiling and repetitive. Since it's all custom textures, the scratches/paint-chips should actually match the activity within the room. As in, scuff marks behind the table where it's edge meets the wall. Then, everything else, stains where pipes meet, maybe the occupant scratches or writes things on the wall, etc.

Also, this room being so ramshackle, it not as believable that there would be a bed frame. More like a mattress on the floor.
  • JoshC
    Been away for a bit learning some new tricks of the trade and have gone back and either redone or cleaned up some of the older textures. Working hard now to move forward on this project without burning myself on it. So I also started modeling Shadowmourne from WoW to keep myself from beating my head against the wall with this room. As always, critiques are welcome and appreciated.

wall.jpg

CielingFloor.jpg

shadowmourne-1.jpg
  • JoshC
    Just a quicky for tonight. I finished the bear and bed models and baked out my normal and AO maps and I'm really satisfied with the results. Tomorrow (or later today in my case) I'm going to make the other textures and get back to work on the film set. I also threw in my complete and mostly complete parts of the room into UDK just to get a feel for the room and experiment with the lighting.

BearandBed.jpg

XOiRoom-2.jpg
  • JoshC
  • JoshC
    In an effert to get better at modeling, I've started doing speed models of small objects with some complicated geometry to build up my skills as well as a library of objects. Today was a nut a bolt and the goal was less then one hour, pretty happy with the results. Tomorrow I'm going to a cog or gear with some crazy shape to it.

IMG_0661.jpg
  • JoshC
    Finished the Bear and Bed group for the room, and I've already started work on the film set. Also did the Cog speed model. Again one hour to model three different cogs at high poly. Didn't get to the third and the second still need some work. Thinking about trying the cogs again or finding something else to speed model.

BearandBed2.jpg

CogsSpeedModel.jpg
  • JoshC
    So after an awesome st patties weekend, I'm back to work on XOi's room. I finished baking the pipes and valves as well as my film group on friday so today is all texturing for me. I also spent some time working on an HK 416 for fun and I'm learning that the stoner series of rifles are a lot harder to model then they look. Now, off to texturing :D.

filmSet.jpg
  • JoshC
    Not a huge update but I finished most of the work on the film and trunk set.

filmSetT.jpg

filmSetTW.jpg
  • RichardS
    Liking the leather so far it is tough to get the right feel for it. Brass could use some more shine to the spec.
  • JoshC
    Work continues for this school project. It still needs heavy work and some misc items to go about the room, but it feels like it is getting there. Critques welcome :D

Room6.jpg

Room5.jpg

Room3.jpg

Room2.jpg

Room1.jpg
  • Kosai106
    Offline / Send Message
    Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
    The bed feels very small compared to everything else in the room, or is that just me? (Btw, sorry for the bump! :) )
  • JoshC
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    The bed feels very small compared to everything else in the room, or is that just me? (Btw, sorry for the bump! :) )

This was a school project and the main character is 4 feet tall and my lead wanted the bed to match. I've wanted to go back and redo much of the texture work and add more character to the room but I also needed a break from the room and am currently working on an H&K 416.