Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beware the Rabbit Head

Hello, I have posted this before but decided to rename the thread title to better fit subject matter. Old thread found here.
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93288&highlight=beware

This is a pedestal scene I am currently working on using Maya, Zbrush and mentalRay. and I have quite a few touch ups still to work on. I wanted to throw out what I have now to get the necessary critiques.

Again I am thinking for presenting this on a rotating/non rotating pedestal.

rabbit3j.jpgrabbit4.jpgrabbit1m.jpgrabbit2.jpg

Replies

• LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This forum is mainly for real time assets. Hard to give feedback when its so dark and everything is smoothed.
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what you mean by Real Time assets or why you say its to dark? Unless its the black background. Or even why smoothing it is bad?

but here is some non smoothed versions with lights hitting it from all sides (still black background for now) and some crappy wire shots.

rabbitlow.jpgwireframe1.jpgfullrabbitlow.jpgwire2g.jpg
  • Eternity
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    thank you for my nightmares tonight :(
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    realtime typically means for use in a game, in a renderer that doesn't take 5 seconds or more per frame. If you want a good (realtime) renderer to show these off in, try monkeylabs marmoset.

Though I feel this forum is really for any game related art (realtime or not), or even traditional art game-artists are doing in an effort to improve.
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No real new changes. I need to texture pumpkins and maybe put something on the trees branches.

But Mostly I would like to get feed back on how to present this. This is my first pedestal piece. and I'm trying to determine what should go in the background.
    Should I get a shot of the whole tree or get a closer shot for detail. Am I even doing it right. So forth and so on.

I am not really concerned about poly count. Though I did do alphas for the grass and was conservative here and there to save render time.

Anyway here are some more non smoothed shots of the rabbit.

rabbitside.jpgrabbitfront.jpgrabbitback.jpgsuperrabbit.jpg
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Presentation:
    - The black / white gradient background is too distracting. The contrast is too strong and doesn't sell the model. I'll go with something more smooth and uniform, like the background of ZBrush. If you want to have really awesome presentation, I would suggest you to look at some VFS demo reel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3O1vlpuPxc"]Creative Design Reel - Vancouver Film School (VFS) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2FF8-Fdwq4&feature=related"]A Modeling Reel - Vancouver Film School (VFS) - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBz58E4XttQ&feature=related"]2010 modeling reel - YouTube[/ame]

- T-posing is good for blueprint. Try to make the character in an interesting pose, something that will reflect his personality. Ex: Superman may have a flying and heroic position. A joyful person may be jumping with a priceless face.
    But very important, is to check out your silhouette. Silhouettes are important because they make a shape readable and easy to recognize.

http://www.eklettica.com/Illustrations.html

Model:
    There's some issues with the topology. Some parts may be too dense. Having a uniform topology help with the lighting AND the rigging. It's also easier to watch the edge flow. I would suggest to make some anatomy studies before jumping in ZBrush. This will help you to understand more how the body works and what can work as a monster or zombie.

Good luck! :)
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megalmnn thank for the reply but I want to clarify some stuff.

The background was just something to temporarily replace the black. Its just for posting here for critique and analysis. not trying to sell it just yet.

Confused on the t-pose as it is certainly rigged and posed in the scene. I just threw it in for better showing of the model.

I also have already thrown it into zbrush for clarification. The T-pose is with the normal mapped produced from z_brush.

rabbitbdiffuse.jpgrabbitbnormal.jpg
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another shot trying to get everything and with some moody lighting.

fullblownlight.jpg
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and a crappy background I know. I haven't gotten to that yet. If anyone has suggestion for this let me know.

Should it be closer or far away.
    Would it be better stationary or rotating.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Eternity wrote: »
    The background was just something to temporarily replace the black. Its just for posting here for critique and analysis. not trying to sell it just yet.

You're an artist, you should be trying to "sell" everything you post on here. If you are going to go through the effort of changing the background from black to a gradient, then put the effort into making it work. If you see a lot of pros on here, they will generally post WIP's that make you go "wow, I want to see more of this". That doesn't mean you need to spend hours on post to prepare WIP shots, but you don't want to show people anything that will bring a reaction of "yuck, how ugly is that?!". Part of the critique and analysis you will get is on presentation, and both the black background and nasty contrasty gradient are a no-go.
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's all fine and dandy, but part of the reason I am posting here was to get feed back on the best way to present this, hence why I haven't even worked on a background. I was trying to get a more public opinion of if I should do a close up shot or get the whole tree in the shot, or since it is on a pedestal should I do a rotating animation. I am still playing with lighting and angle and....stuff. The only reason I put a gradient in was because it originally had no background and I guess it was too dark because of it.

Anyway here is some background changes. One close...one not so much.

48565057.jpg75219748.jpg
  • Eternity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well here is a bunch of final renders. There is probably more I can, I with you the communities support I will. But until then here is all the nifty angles.

One day I will get the umph to animate a rotating pedestal. But since all I have is Maya and mental ray at the moment, that will take a day and a week to render.

rabbitright.jpgrabbitleft.jpgrabbitfront.jpgfullrightrabbit.jpg